Madison, WI - 03/02/13 - TecmoIX: Marino Royale

holzy11

I won't bore you all with a long recap, just read Psycho's, it's great and is 10 times better than I could do.  This was my first time in Madison and it won't be my last.  I'll just give some of my personal highlights, not in any particular order:

- Eric and Matt letting me stay with them.  Great guys!

-  O'Toole running through a red light at about 40 mph as O'Dell and myself are both screaming at him to stop after leaving Badger Bowl Friday night.  When we left the hotel earlier he says "I may be the worst driver ever", so that made it even funnier.  In his defense, the GPS lady with the hot voice didn't say anything about stopping and his windshield needed scraping. 

-  O'Dell making us write down the scores of all our practice games...weirdo.

- Walking into the Vogt's room on Friday night and immediately being welcomed by them and Merliss. (great guys & players)

-  Myself almost getting maced asking for directions to the Plaza by 2 random coeds. They had no idea where a bar 2 blocks away was...yeah right.  Probably shouldn't have asked if they wanted to see the inside of my van. #Creeper

-  Watching the final 2 games and seeing Mama/Papa Holtzy cheer on Chet.  I spoke with them both and they were of course awesome, so much Tecmo in that DNA.

- Some of the Mort voice impressions by certain tecmoers who will remain nameless.

-  Ian's pizza lived up to the hype.  Think we sat with Flo and friends??? A bit hazy for some reason, 16 hours of drinking may have played a role.

- Beef Juice's very inappropriate jokes, overall weirdness, and obscure X-Men villian obsessions.

- Durch doing his "Rodgers!!! Discount double check!" routine had me in tears. (looks/sounds just like the guy on the commercial)

-  Spotted Cow Beer

-  The cute bartender's Wisconsin accent (it's weird how not very many WI people even have a noticeable accent at all)

-  Meeting Twitter legends @ButtDouglas & @Leonardite  These guys are as cool in person, as they are online.  Follow them now!

- The mom from LA at the breakfast place with all the cat pictures on the wall.

-  Yoga pants all over the Minny airport.  #Perv

- DaBoy being the best player at the tournament for a solid 2 hours, he was lights out!  Heyward's kick return was brutal, he killed me with one in my elimination loss to Johnny B. (QB_Browns) too.  "Hey Ironhead, what's with this thingy?" #ZestfullyClean

- Chet using the crossbuck play in the Run 3 slot and more importantly remaining the undisputed best player in the world right now.  Those final 3 guys seem like they are a cut above everyone else to me.  He beat Regulator twice in a row, that's nuts. 

- Lucas's sweater with the snowflakes.  I didn't know him or Jeff B at all, but they can both ball!

- Josh's "J as in jalapeno" crack when he was giving out station selections and his readings from the book of LT.

- Louis B's BAC level late Saturday night...hope he and Mort got back safely. Super nice guys.

- The Joe Bugel football card I got in the 1990 ProSet pack I got from Butt.  Yeah, we're on a 1st name basis now.

- The Lodgefather's beard.

- Meeting ND guys Barry Anderson (Bob Nelson) and Frolf about 6 hours after the tourney. Better late than never.

- Running into Merliss at the airport bar and shooting the shit for 2 hours before our flights left. Then explaining the ins/outs of Tecmo to some nice guy from Miami who happened to be at the Badger Bowl while it was going on.  He was there for a father/daughter sorioty event.

- BgBoud played great all day (beat Reg in a live ETC game on his laptop after group play) not how I pictured him at all, but good dude.

- His cool Cajun buddy Chad

- Matt Miller's comeback win.  (can't even begin to describe it)

- Scrimmaging Matty V. the night before and not scoring against him after he turned his Nick Lowery football card upside down.

- The feeling you get when you go up those couple of steps and give your score as a winner.  It's such a good feeling to win and breathe that sigh of relief.

- Naughton playing awesome.  If there's another Ryder Cup, NE just got salty.

-  The level of play from the final 32 on was incredible.  So much fun to watch!

- Winning a beer from Dave (Iowa) with a DEN/SD matchup.

- Talking tecmo with Tony (Dotdon) and seeing 3 last possession wins on 3 TVs in a row in about a 5 minute span to get  into the sweet 16.

-O'Dell saying someone was going to "eat some clock out" on the livestream.

- This gem of a tweet from ButtDouglas: Guy with orange shirt scores kickoff return to end half against person with black shirt. Meanwhile my own wife unfollowed me

The following is a list of people at TecmoIX I didn't like:  

Tony Orenga  #EatShitOrenga (jk)

Craig Heyward

QB Eagles

But seriously, everyone was great and there's too many to even try to name here.  If you like Tecmo, you have to go to this...period.  It's so well organized and 99% of the players there are cool as shit.  Sorry if this makes no sense, I'm exhausted and only about 1/3 of the way through this hangover and jet lag. 

TR

Edited by moulds33

Epic review Moulds! You're great people man. It was an absolute pleasure. And thanks again for allowing me to have the ability to keep my seat, fetching an extension cord so you could keep the Tecmo updates coming via my ever dying battery on my phone!

That was incredible, moulds! It was great meeting you and getting to know everyone else better as well. In today's age, it's a big deal to be a Twitter legend...so I don't take that lightly ;)

Also, that video was awesome. I'll watch it over and over again and never get sick of it. But mostly just to hear Murray say 'Dutt Bouglas is in the house'

Joe N currently from Denver, originally from Nebraska, wasn't a big surprise to me for making the Elite 8.

He's buddies with Luke C and was always considered the best player of their group.

I hadn't seen him in years, but back then he won almost every single Sunday tournament we held.  Good to see he still has it.

I'll do nothing but repeat what everyone says, but what a day and what a tournament, again.

Group play was fun, EVERYONE is cool and fun to hang/talk to, and the Madison crew runs a perfect event. Loved the location and switching between rooms to see the different vibe. Was in the log room and it was so funny about 15 min. in you could hear a pin drop with those nervous first games and first timers. By the 2nd or 3rd hour it was starting to get loud and by about the Rd of 32 it was louder than shit. I think we paid Badger Bowl's rent for the entire year in just beer sales.

Play level was outstanding. Toolie beat me in group play with great D and I made 1 bad mistake against Jay H that gave him momentum he didnt' give up. Tough break for me. I saw 2 final second diving cc's and a last second FG in the round of 32 within about 2 minutes of each other. CVogt's loss was as brutal of a last drive as I've seen. 3 plays that defy description to cover the last 70 yards. Unreal.

The top 8 deserved it, and man are they players. It was the first I'd seen Daboy and he is outstanding. All played brilliantly the whole way. Congrats to the top 4, all really elite. Fun to watch.

Appreciate the good words, Moulds.  Pleasure to meet you as well.  I already gave my blanket thank you to everyone on Twitter, but this was a fantastic time once again.   My actual Tecmo playing, as usual, left a lot to be desired, but I'm pretty sure my face was sore on Sunday from laughing for 10 hours straight.  I say pretty sure, because there *possibly* could have been some blacking out that occurred. 

If this was just about playing Tecmo, I probably would have gone once and called it a tournament career after that. However, it's the great people and just sheer FUN that make attendance in Madison a yearly must.  Thanks to everyone that organizes this thing, and just as importantly to everyone that attends and acts over-the-top friendly and cool. 

Pretty sure the bathroom incident with Dave Murray, Orenga, Butt Douglas, and me will go down infamy somewhere.  For those not privy to the details, I'd encourage you to get really weird with your imagination.

Here is the Chet kickoff return. 

Without it, we're probably talking about Regulator or Daboys as champion

OK.  that kick-return was totally bad-ass.  Chet is a madman!