Madison, WI - 03/02/13 - TecmoIX: Marino Royale

holzy11

What: “Tecmo IX: Marino Royale”
When: March 2, 2013 (registration opens 1/5/13)
Where: Badger Bowl, 506 East Badger Road, Madison, WI 53713
Field Size: 224
Tournament Website: http://tecmomadison.com
Entry Fee: $35. Includes a tournament t-shirt (size to be selected during registration)

How to Register: Tournament registration, through the website, opens on January 5, 2013. You cannot register for TecmoIX unless you have already created an account with the website. If you already have an account, simply access the site and click on “Sign up for Tecmo IX.” Your login information is that which you provided when you initially created the account. If you have forgotten your password, click on the “I forgot my password” link and a new one will be forwarded to the email account of record. If you need to create an account, click on the “Create an Account Now” link (top left of screen), follow the prompts, and you will then be in a position to register.

This year, the registration process includes payment of the entry fee. No one will be registered until the entry fee is electronically processed through WePay. The entry fee will be non-refundable, so make certain you wish to and can attend on March 2, 2013. We do not want guys “reserving” spots when they have little intention of actually attending. Payouts will be made by check on tournament day to the top four finishers. Because this is the first year we are using WePay, unanticipated problems may arise. Please be patient with us while we work out the kinks.

Tournament Rules, Format, & Preview: All of this information is available on the site, as are past tournament results, pictures, competitor profiles, and a general tournament history. Please be advised, however, that the tournament format is changing this year. As explained on the site, the change is necessary to accommodate increasing demand. Bottom line: please make note of the format change before choosing to register.

Equipment Needed: This tournament requires at least 24 systems to operate properly. If you can bring an NES, a cartridge, or a television to the tournament, please indicate such during the enrollment process (the website will automatically seek this information when you register). Any help is appreciated.

Questions: If you have a question potentially applicable to all competitors (rules, tournament format, etc), please post such below. This is the official tournament thread. If you have an individual question that requires our attention, you can reach us at [email protected]

Final Word: Last year’s tournament had 176 competitors from 27 different states. Even greater numbers and state diversity are expected this year. The NFL Films piece unearthed many previously undiscovered Tecmo enthusiasts and prompted numerous claims of Tecmo invincibility. Make no mistake guys—this is a national tournament featuring many of the country’s best players. Please prepare accordingly. For some, that might mean extra time in the film room. For others, it might mean installation of a bionic thumb. Whatever the case, just do that which is necessary to get here and conquer what could be our most competitive field yet. Good luck and long live Tecmo!

Edited by holzy11

So I have to ask, just because of the publicity, the rates go up $10 per head for 1 less guaranteed game? What is the justification on this? Does renting the facility cost more? Do you have to pay more staff to cover the increase? Will there be more prize money handed out other than top 4? Are you guys raking more profit on the whole tournament?

Don't get me wrong, not trying to complain/moan... just curious more than anything, because I think they're legit questions that people want answers to before spending their $35.

Edited by bradbears81

Looking forward to it. Was interested to see if the format would change.

Have some questions (not intended to be complaints or criticisms)

(1) why not finish the bracket out? Its 2 more games maximum, and you'd get a "rightful" winner in the double-elimination format. I understand the time limits, but the extra 30 min. I think would be worth it to get a true bracket winner. You'd still have group winners, but they'd have 0-1 loss, and all 2nd place would have 2. There are going to be some good players that never played this tournament before. It would suck to lose to someone good early, then be relegated to a low seed no matter what you do. In round robin, you still have a chance to win your group with 1 loss, I think it should be the same here in group play.

(2) This format leaves 48 people after group play. I'm assuming there will be play ins and byes to get down to 32 as opposed to picking 16 more of the double elimination competitors to make a 64-person bracket? I think this bolsters my #1 point: you want your true bracket champs having the opportunity to get the byes.

(3) Are you going to be seeding groups 1-8? This to me presents a potential problem, especially since you're not playing everyone in your group. I don't know what you're planning on exactly, but perhaps you should just seed #1s or #1-2s in each group, then randomly draw the rest. I think its the fairest way to do it. Groups of death are going to happen with 8 man groups, not much you are going to be able to do about it. Best you can do is spread the top 25-50 players and let things go from there.

One final thought I had when thinking about you guys dealing with massive people and format. I liked last year's format with the play-in games. Why not take that next level? You have open systems during the play in games. Why not have the world cup play, then after all groups are done, take winners and play against neighboring runners up. For example Group 1 winner plays Group 2 RU, Group 2 winner plays Group 1 RU. Then after each 1/2 of group play you'd have 48 people with 4 games. You could then slot the top 32 out of that 48 by record and point differential and they move on to the tournament (you'd have 4-0 group winners that won their group and play in that would be top seeds, a group at 3-1 that either won their group and lost their play in or winners/runners up who won their play in, a group at 2-2 that could get in, and some may be 1-3 and would not qualify). Do the same for the afternoon session. 32 out of each session advance. Just a thought if you wanted to keep world cup/play in format. This would allow group runners up to beat a neighboring champion and improve his seed instead of being guaranteed a 12 or lower and getting a top seed first round.

I think too much about Tecmo.

Brad. These guys have spent a lot of time and effort growing this event to something of this magnitude so I feel they are entitled to do whatever they want. There

are a lot of good reasons to increase the cost.

-Higher payouts

-Help curb demand

-Administrative/location/equipment costs

- Small Profit for the time spent organizing and running it

The only thing I feel should be posted is roughly what the prize payouts are as I stated above.

I'm with BG. The entry fee is a tiny cost compared to how much it would cost me just to get to the event. If I end up

paying $500-$600(flight, hotel,car) just to attend the event, $35 is an afterthought. I actually wish the entry fee was more but I'm in the minority

as far as the demographic that make up the event. It is "nice" to know everything that the money goes towards but we're not entitled to it.

You can always choose not to go if you don't think you are getting your money's worth.

As for the t-shirt... I could do without one. 95+% of my "event" t-shirts I've ever gotten have just collected dust in a drawer or eventually were donated to good will. The only ones that I think I've kept are ones that didn't have any info about the event itself on the shirt but had a cool logo or design. Again that's just a personal thing for me. I'd rather get a free beer ticket or something. 8-)

I agree with Bruddog, I don't mind the higher entry fee as well from what I saw on the website last year it looked like many people were reserving spots with no intention of playing and the cost to make it to the event still overshadows the cost of the event itself. Having attended the event the last 3 years I honestly feel that Chet and Josh deserve something extra for running this event along with the other reasons that Bruddog gave. One thing I wanted to throw out there would be since the event it getting so large, making it a 2 day event or adding a second event on Sunday of some kind (consolation?), as a 2 day event you could triple elimination or any other "larger" format you want to come up with (I'd love to have anyone post on ideas for a second day). With 2 days I realize that the entry fee would have to go up (or have a seperate one for the seperate tournament) but with the entry fee going up I think we may get even more people traveling greater distances for the event and feel that trying to make a "Tecmo weekend" would be absolutely fantastic.

I agree with Bruddog, I don't mind the higher entry fee as well from what I saw on the website last year it looked like many people were reserving spots with no intention of playing and the cost to make it to the event still overshadows the cost of the event itself. Having attended the event the last 3 years I honestly feel that Chet and Josh deserve something extra for running this event along with the other reasons that Bruddog gave. One thing I wanted to throw out there would be since the event it getting so large, making it a 2 day event or adding a second event on Sunday of some kind (consolation?), as a 2 day event you could triple elimination or any other "larger" format you want to come up with (I'd love to have anyone post on ideas for a second day). With 2 days I realize that the entry fee would have to go up (or have a seperate one for the seperate tournament) but with the entry fee going up I think we may get even more people traveling greater distances for the event and feel that trying to make a "Tecmo weekend" would be absolutely fantastic.

I mentioned 2 day event last year, forget what the answer was

Edited by daboy8821

So I have to ask, just because of the publicity, the rates go up $10 per head for 1 less guaranteed game? What is the justification on this? Are you guys raking more profit on the whole tournament?

The entry fee increase has nothing to do with "profit." It was done primarily to curb demand, increase the payouts for Places 1-4, and counteract rising costs. For whatever reason, there's a number of you who continue to believe this is a profit-making endeavor. It is not. Frankly, I'm not even certain why that matters, or why some feel it is information to which they are entitled, but let me again make clear that making money isn't the object here. Those of us that devote hundreds of hours per year to this tournament find that notion laughable. If you think the entry fee is too much, you're free to skip the event.

The only thing I feel should be posted is roughly what the prize payouts are as I stated above.

Agreed. This year's payouts are obviously subject to number of registrants, expenses, etc., so we can't really provide any concrete numbers at this point. Since last year's winner got about $1,200, it's safe to say this year's winner will take home >=$1,500. Think 2nd place last year got around $800, so something >=$1,000 will get paid out this year. Again, these are very preliminary figures that are subject to change.

Also, I was curious what happened to Logan's? That place was great! So very wide open so you can see the whole room. It certainly seemed a lot bigger than Badger Bowl.

Logan's went out of business, largely because its food and management were awful, but it was perfect for Tecmo purposes. Funny short story: Last year, the manager assured us that a "professional cleaning crew" would clean between Friday night and Saturday morning. When we arrived on Saturday morning to set up, the place hadn't been touched from bar close the night before. The "professional cleaning crew" consisted of a sole individual that had passed out in the middle of the bar floor sometime around 3:00 a.m. Upon being awoken, he immediately began dancing to the non-existent music and grinding on one of the registration girls. He left shortly thereafter, presumably to pass out again.

Badger Bowl will actually offer us more space than Logan's. In addition to the space we had during TecmoVI, we're going to have access to a large banquet room that should accommodate about 20 additional systems.

why not finish the bracket out? Its 2 more games maximum, and you'd get a "rightful" winner in the double-elimination format. I understand the time limits, but the extra 30 min. I think would be worth it to get a true bracket winner.

Completely playing out the group play double-elimination bracket would be at least 50 minutes more. It would also mean that some guys, before bracket play even commenced, would have already played seven games and fatigue might begin to set in. Primarily though, we just don't have the time, particularly if we re-introduce double-elimination at some point during bracket play.

(3) Are you going to be seeding groups 1-8? This to me presents a potential problem, especially since you're not playing everyone in your group. I don't know what you're planning on exactly, but perhaps you should just seed #1s or #1-2s in each group, then randomly draw the rest. I think its the fairest way to do it. Groups of death are going to happen with 8 man groups, not much you are going to be able to do about it. Best you can do is spread the top 25-50 players and let things go from there.

Yeah, we're aware of this potential issue. We'll probably place the best two guys in the group at opposite ends of the bracket and then randomly fill in the remaining slots. The format isn't set in stone guys. We'll see where we're at once the dust from registration settles.

One thing I wanted to throw out there would be since the event it getting so large, making it a 2 day event or adding a second event on Sunday of some kind (consolation?), as a 2 day event you could triple elimination or any other "larger" format you want to come up with (I'd love to have anyone post on ideas for a second day).

Two days would be awesome! We consider it every year. My concern is that, given the aging demographic here, how many guys can really devote two entire days to Tecmo? For someone that has to board a plane, you're potentially looking at four days. I'm not sure that's realistic, but maybe i'm underestimating this group's Tecmo devotion.

I love the name. Man, I wish I could have pulled out at least one victory from my championship games after the first one. Oh well! We'll see what this year holds for me.

Achieving Tecmo immortality gets tougher every year.

Two days would be awesome! We consider it every year. My concern is that, given the aging demographic here, how many guys can really devote two entire days to Tecmo? For someone that has to board a plane, you're potentially looking at four days. I'm not sure that's realistic, but maybe i'm underestimating this group's Tecmo devotion.

I know there has always been alot of discussion regarding making it a 2 day event.  I hear what you are saying about the concern of a lack of interest based off the growing demands of our daily lives.  However, moving to a format such as this, really opens the door for this to make more sense.  Considering some will only be guaranteed 2 games, it would be really nice to know their is a 2nd day as well to get some more Tecmo in, to make the travel all that much more worthwhile.  Day 2 could be more of a leisurely pursuit, having nothing to do in relation to Day 1 of the tournament, taking ease off of the managerial tournament constraints.  All would be welcome for a show up, sign-up, and play format similiar to Detroit's Tecmo Kumite (random draw, triple elimination).  It still wouldn't be too late to prepare for something like this for Marino Royale!

Are we in the same part of Badger Bowl?  Cause if I recall correctly that was cozy at 88.  Nearly three times that playing and watching might be at the limits.  But I trust you guys to be able to handle it.  Knowing what last years prize was makes me hope Badger Bowl works out. I got some good vibes there baby.

As for a two day event the only way I can see that happening if local guys play friday night groups/brackets.  Then travelers roll in for morning rounds.  The problem is that its hard to get free time to get the extra day.  I'm devoting Friday to drive there.  Then Sat playing and sunday driving back.  Getting one more day is to drive thursday isn't possible.

Another solution I just thought of is putting the event in more than one bar.  Kind of making it like a party festival thing.  It would be cool if the city got really behind it but they would probably want it after college bball season.

I'm kinda with bruddog the ideal of a 50 buck entry and more prizes is appealing.  But that might get too counterproductive as people may not want to risk so much if they feel the odds are not in there favor.  

Finally as tourney directors these guys are the best.  The comment about making a profit is way out of line.  I doubt any director made money of there tourney.  Ryan in Cle does it all for charity with no prizes and Pete in Conn spent over 200 in equipment and trophies.  Even the radio station tourney in my home town sends all the collections to charity.  Chet and Josh are no different.  I won and all the money went to the top finishers.  The year after the same thing, year before I won and last year.  Yes, Chet did win but that is twice as challenging.  I know i haven't made a profit as a player and my winnings are close to 2k.  Its all gone to travel, bar tabs, entry fees and some unused prizes when I was too hurt or busy to use them. 

Yeah, like I mentioned, the 2nd day idea on Sunday is more of a show up and play kinda deal.  Definitely no early commitments.  Just a nice leisurely day of Tecmo, beers, with good company, and maybe a little money on the line.

Depending on how Detroit's Tecmo Kumite goes, I may just speak to the Badger Bowl manager day of, and have Toolie and myself run the day 2 event there.

Edited by tecmodell42

We've spent countless hours discussing the possibility of the tournament stretching across 2 days or 2 venues on the same day, but both cases introduced more logistical issues than they solved. It's also asking quite a lot from competitors to devote 2 full days to the tournament, particularly those traveling from out of state.

I think Chet addressed this one already, but the free market has a perfect feedback mechanism for those who think the entry free is too high: don't register.

I'll take the field. LOL 

How was the field of 64 seeding done last year? Was it still point differential. Sorry I don't remember. Just a bit suprised to see daboys end up as a 5 seed in the same 1/8 of a bracket as regulator bg skunker and sconnie. Not that other brackets aren't tough but that looked a brutal 8 man subset compared to 1-2 others. 

Seems like a few people took my questioning as trying to "slight their power or thought."  I even said it in the first post I made, my intentions were not to stir the pot, complain, or moan and say, "whoa $35 is too much to spend."  The answers you gave were sufficient and I appreciate the rapid response.

Since I am not able to attend this year (which is major league suck by the way), I would have gladly paid my $35 to get my ass-whipped and then proceed to get wasted and watch the pros go at it  :)

So I just wanted to set the record straight, I know you guys are doing the best you can do and what's best for the tournament you put together, and I respect that.  Maybe I should choose my vocab words a bit better next time... 

Another ideal I wanted to pass to the directors is trying to get a deal at one of the local hotels for the tourney.  Even without that a lot of us discussed trying to rent the same hotel friday or saturday.  The high stakes back alley tecmo has got to happen somewhere.  The sunday thing sounds nice but its a long way to Buffalo and I plan to be well on the way back by noon this year.