Line of scrimmage glitch

TheFes75

Not That I want to spread any more glitches for games, but I have never seen anyone post anything about the line of scrimmage glitch. I actually came upon it on accident, while playing back in '89 or '90 against a friend who had figured out how to Take Jerry Rice out of the game by picking Pass 1. On a guess I picked pass 2 hoping maybe he picked Roger Craig's only run. Well I was wrong and Rice was covered on his fly pattern. I decided to run Montana, but in a panic hit the wrong button as I was crossing the line of scrimmage. Montana unleashed a bomb to a wide open Rice to both of our disbelief. Neither one of us could believe it so we reset the Nintendo and tried the same setup. After a few interceptions I hit on it again. We tried it with every team on any covered receiver and found that it worked for every team. It just took timing. Made San Francisco truly unstoppable. I was later banned from using SF at all and we banned the glitch period. I know now a lot of people play with rules that limit slants and curls and QB runs, but back then we just played. Not sure if anyone knew about this but try it out.

As you are crossing the line of scrimmage throw to a covered receiver. If you do it correctly the defense will run towards the line of scrimmage leaving the receiver open. If timed correctly it works everytime.

Edited by TheFes75

Yeah, I've seen this a few times. The 1st time we encountered it was on a normal pass to an uncovered WR. We record our games onto VHS and re-watched the play and saw at least half of Dave Kreig's body was over the LOS when he threw the ball.

We've also seen the play where it draws the computer controlled defender off of the receiver so you can hit him for a open pass. Its a cool glitch, but we don't take advantage of it.