Endzone action question

quince3800

Greetings,

It's always kind of annoyed me that when you're running near the goal-line and a defender approaches, there's no grapple if there's a touchdown--irrespective of how close the defender is to the RB/WR. The defense just goes into 'touchdown mode.' Is there a way to fix this? I.E., to get the defense to fight for a while (maybe 1-2 seconds) even while the game acknowledges the offense having scored a touchdown (and going into the appropriate animations at the top of the screen)?

This would look something like having the game understand that a TD has been scored at the goal-line, but:

• NOT having the defense stop defending until the ball carrier is a yard or two into the endzone.
  • So, if the TD is contested, you still would have defenders attacking the ball carrier even as the game would be shifting into the celebration cutscreens.
  • In real life you have this same situation until the refs signal for a touchdown, so it's boring to watch defenders give up on the goal-line. Just wondering.
Edited by quince3800

• 3 years later...

The answer to this is that @bf67 there's a series of 3 different C5 XX commands ("be depressed for XX amount of time").  This is enough space to enter in FCFFE0DAFEFC (set to grapple, DA, loop back).  Then @7610 to @7625 you want to set all the pointers to 57 BF.  **Edit:  This is not necessary.**

You can make the ball carriereligible to be grappled after he gets into the endzone by going to the offensive celebration code @9f59 and entering C4XXFCFFE0FEFA (celebrate after XX time [not initially called, see below], set to grapple with anyone, loop back to the C4 command).  Then the other C4 command (@9f61) will be used for everyone else on offense to celebrate.  Then @4e10-4e25 you want to set all of the pointers to 51 BF.  This allows for the ball carrier to be grappled even immediately after crossing the goal line (see below) . 

**Everyone keeps hitting the ball carrier if you change the defensive C5 commands to a DA/DD loop.  Otherwise, you can leave them alone and the defenders will still enter into a grapple with the runner before going into the C5 command.  The only glitch here is that a player running into the endzone will keep running until the cut scene starts, whereas a player who catches the ball in the endzone will celebrate--this celebrate will be frozen though.  Further, this may make the game mis-attribute the TD scorer, which happened a couple of times when I had it at FE FD.**

Additionally, @4e126 is for the ball carrier (this sequence has 12 pointers).  All the others can be for the new (and now only) celebration location that you create (mine is @9f61).  However, if the set to grapple hack starts @9f59, you have to set the pointer for it to the beginning of the FC command, so 4b bf (which gives @9f5b).

I haven't checked what the other pointers surrounding the @7610 and @4e10 range lead to.  Sorry for the continued edits.

Edited by quince3800
Specifying something... the second time is progress... may have found the proper loop now

• 4 weeks later...

I tested it, but I didn't take any notes.  That code is correct:  C414FCFFE0FEFAFF, where C4 14 can be C4 XX.  That leaves you with only one other C4 command, although you could overwrite one of the C5 commands, which start @9f63 (see the @4ee8 range). 

Doing this does not cause the game to misattribute TD values; that I've tested.  However, it does cause the player to run forever after reaching the endzone--unless he catches the ball in the endzone, in which case he'll just hold his arms up forever.  The grapple effect works until the point at which the defensive player goes into his C5 command; then the ball carrier becomes transparent to that particular defender. (The onset times for the C5 commands are straddled and for some reason sometimes don't go into effect.  Thus, you don't have to change the defensive in-a-funk commands on the bf60 line).  The change allows you to meet an oncoming defender at the goal line and engage in a grapple or be grabbed from behind/the side while crossing.  It causes no other type of glitch, however.

The celebration pointer slot starts @4e10/44e10, which is correct and only the last byte (so @4e26) actually controls the ball carrier.  And you do have to call the pointer to hit the beginning of the grapple command (i.e., the FC) and not the C4 command.  (Mine starts @9f59, but the pointer is 4b bf)I haven't been able to figure out how to stop the running forever thing;  I think that's over my head and I stopped trying.  What you can't do is set up another C4 command in front of the above code and then change the FE FA to FE F8 (or other).  That will make the player go look for someone to grapple with once he crosses the goal line.  I tried about everything I could think of here and the above was the only thing that worked.

This is separate from the defensive (and punt return?) touchdown celebration, where the code begins @bf61.  This is controlled by a string of such pointers starting @76e8/476e8, but I haven't check to see which is which--there's 60 hex bytes of code calling up the celebration pointers.  Changing the offensive code won't affect INT return TDs.

Edited by quince3800
typo

so the moonwalk is gone?  no way, man.  no way.

I love all the random easter-egg stuff that happens after td.  I play the game so much that I really appreciate the weird stuff that the players do after a score.  I wouldn't want to lose it.

but it's cool that you are figuring this stuff out!  

I think you want something more like this which has to be hacked by writing code in the game loop to delay the cry command loading. 

I got rid of some code I don't think matters much (setting the target sprite offscreen) but maybe you'd have some graphical wierdness on an actual cart. I set the delay to about 1.5 seconds. 

Note I only fixed player 1 offensive and defensive TD's in this rom 

TSB org_32_2014_extra_endzone.nes