[Cancelled] 2012 Pacific Northwest Tecmo Winter Classic -- December 29, 2012

manYo

[update] - The tournament organizer has had to basically drop out of Tecmo in general. If you want to organize this event please let someone know or else consider it cancelled.

WHAT: The first annual Pacific Northwest Tecmo Winter Classic (PNW Winter Classic I)… we’ll be playing Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES!

WHEN: Saturday, December 29, 2012... 12 noon until the evening time.

WHERE: Centralia, WA (halfway between Seattle and Portland, also my hometown)... O'Blarney's Irish Pub.

WHO: The goal would be to get 32 guys for this tournament.

BUY-IN: $20

PRIZES: Cash prizes for the top 4 in the tournament (50/25/15/10%). Other prizes (TBD)?

FORMAT: Format is TBD... we want to get more creative than the PNWTC, so stay tuned for details.

TOURNAMENT PLAYERS:

1. skunkerofdan (manyo), Centralia WA

2. chalky white, Portland OR

3. tailback king, Portland OR

4. BestInPNW (randy), Pasco WA

5. invaderstar, Bremerton WA

6. boogiewithstu, Lynnwood WA

7. gripsmoke (probably), portland OR

8. kamphuna, Tacoma WA

9. JakeTheSnake (probably), Olympia WA

REGISTER BY E-MAILING: [email protected]

Please include the following information in your e-mail...

First/Last Name:

Tecmo Handle (nickname?):

Hometown:

State:

E-Mail Address:

What equipment can you bring? (consoles, controllers, TSB cartridges, TVs)

Edited by manYo

I'm gonna try and be there...........why was the notice so short???

Don't worry, I would have personally let you know tomorrow had you not posted.

I'm guessing he just decided he would be able to pull it together on that date.

Yeah, just decided to throw it together after not hearing back from another place that's been teasing a bit about having one, but nothing going...... sorry for the late notice, I also planned on e-mailing everyone on the PNW mailing list, which I believe includes you Tailback King, but just barely have enough time in my life to put this thing together as is........ but I will do so ASAP.

Registration is open! See updated information in first post. I also sent out an e-mail to the PNW mailing list, I'm not sure if you were on there Tailback King, but just e-mail me to register and I'll get you on there. I will update with more information, including a flyer, within the next week or so.

Also, an exciting development... PNW IT guy Kyle (Invaderstar) and I are in the process of putting together the necessary wizardry to stream this event live over the internet, possibly up to 4 of the tv stations (4 different twitch channels basically).

Also, an exciting development... PNW IT guy Kyle (Invaderstar) and I are in the process of putting together the necessary wizardry to stream this event live over the internet, possibly up to 4 of the tv stations (4 different twitch channels basically).

You can stream out of the NES via both the a/v and coax.

You can also split the coax.

Last but not least, you can split for the purposes of showing the game on a big screen while playing on a regular tv, especially if the big screen is a laggy HD one

Sounds like this will be fun!! good luck to you other west coasters!! I cant make the trip up from San Fran as my niece will be celebrating her first Bday, eventhough she wont remember me being there dont think the Wife wants to miss it for a Tecmo Trip :).

Have fun maybe I can trek up there in the future.

there ever any of these in Northern Cali? such a big place how are we not on the tecmo scene here.

I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!! So is my close friend & Tecmobowl Portland Legend Gerald (a.k.a. Chalky White)..........he'll be registering from my computer today........I can't wait 4 this $hit!!!!!!!!!! Ya'll better be ready!!! You'll know it's me by my authentic Phoenix Cardinals throwback Johnny Johnson jerzey.

Does anyone have any creative ideas for the format of this tournament? Just reading around, The Boneyard Bowl tournament set-up sounds interesting... also the Tecmo Kumite in Detroit. They are not your traditional pool play / bracket tournaments, and I was thinking of doing something different for the Winter Classic. Check them out and give me feedback if you like, or any new ideas.

Or any ideas about anything at all for this tournament would be much appreciated, it's not my baby it's for the PNW, so get at me here or my e-mail which is my username at aim.

Does anyone have any creative ideas for the format of this tournament? Just reading around, The Boneyard Bowl tournament set-up sounds interesting... also the Tecmo Kumite in Detroit. They are not your traditional pool play / bracket tournaments, and I was thinking of doing something different for the Winter Classic. Check them out and give me feedback if you like, or any new ideas.

Or any ideas about anything at all for this tournament would be much appreciated, it's not my baby it's for the PNW, so get at me here or my e-mail which is my username at aim.

The Boneyard Bowl format has always worked really well and adds a different dynamic from other tournament formats. Drafting teams and having the option to steal your opponents team in a Tecmo tournament is a unique experience.

I'm also really excited to for the Tecmo Kumite triple elimination format. I know O'Dell and Toolie will run a great tournament in Detroit!

One different idea I had for a tournament would be to have everyone use the same even Pro Bowl teams in a double or triple elimination format. It would take away a lot of the matchup calling and analysis because everyone would be using the same players on both sides of the ball.

If you want a more offensive shootout, leave in the starters, if you want a defensive contest just put all the starters on the bench and use the reserves.

See the attached PDF file and let me know your thoughts.

I wish I was closer for this tournament! I'm sure it will be a great time and I hope you are able to stream it on the net :)

Even Pro Bowl Teams.pdf

Edited by UltimateWeapon

Thanks for the feedback UltimateWeapon, but I think a lot of us want to use the range of tecmo players and teams, so more likely we go with the Kumite or Boneyard models, or some hybrid thereof.

Well, today I traveled all around the cities of Centralia and Chehalis scouting for a venue, which turned out to be a great excuse for bar-hopping.......................... :twisted: ......................... along the way I managed to pick up another TSB cartridge and some controllers for cheap at a crazy flea market I never knew about...... and of course saved my best potential spot for last, a place called O'Blarney's...... it passed the first test: the bartenders and manager not only knew what Tecmo meant, but had fond memories of rushing for 360 yards with Barry Sanders in one game, etc........ also a good place in that it has wifi for streaming, a bank of televisions we can split our tube TVs to (it's a sports bar), and plenty of room not only for this year's event, but for future expansion as well (hopefully).

So okay...... I told the manager, if I don't get 16 people, I'm not even going to waste his time...... so I need 16 sign-ups, let's go, get them in, next few weeks. If you got any questions or comments, let me know. I'll update the first post with sign-ups as I receive them. Mahalo.

This tournament is in downtown Centralia, so travel by train is possible, this locale is just a few blocks from the station. There's also a few hotels downtown.... including The Olympic Club, which is a McMenamin's owned bar/restaurant/hotel thing. You can google for that or just e-mail or message me (username at aim) if you want more information on that sort of thing.

Well........ I sincerely apologize for fucking with everyone, but a whole lot has come up and I won't be able to run this tournament, or participate at all. I hope someone else can pick up the pieces and make this thing go, unfortunately I will not. Great meeting you guys last June though, that was great...... if someone wants to, feel free to take over the PNWTC. Let me know if you need anything, kamp has my number. Adios.

I think the only hope for this December is if we can get Another Castle to host it again. Its another 90plus minutes north, but they held the first one 2 Mays ago. Otherwise, someone with time and commitment will need to step up.

• 2 weeks later...