Moving Teams to Different Divisions

TheRaj

Hello;

So I asked the question a few days ago about moving teams from NFC to AFC. After experimenting with it I think I want to change things in a different way.

So now I ask; how would I move a team from one division to a different division?

For example; I want say New England to be moved from the AFC East to the AFC Central. So that would make the AFC East 4 teams and the AFC Central 5 teams.

I know there has to be a pointer somewhere that dictates which teams are from which divisions I just can't find it at all.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

Want to point out I used TSB General Manager as it does let me "move" teams to other divisions; but its a lie (lol). Those teams are actually be swapped in place of the team that was there before (so for example I make the AFC East CIN, CLE, and HOU but in reality CIN replaced BUF; CLE replaced IND; and HOU replaced MIA. This does not work for what I am trying to do.

Basically the teams are listed in order and then the pointers go and find the teams needed for Divisions, Conferences, and Leader Boards. The listed order of teams is as follows:

BUF, IND, MIA, NE, JETS, CIN, CLE, HOU, PIT, DEN, KC, OAK, SD, SEA, WAS, NYG, PHI, ARZ, DAL, CHI, DET, GB, MIN, TB, SF, STL, NO, ATL.

When I use the General manager tool to move CIN to BUF it changes the order as follows:

CIN, IND, MIA, NE, JETS, BUF, CLE, HOU, ... ETC

That isn't what I want. I want it instead to look like this:

NA, NA, NA, NA, NA, CIN, CLE, HOU, PIT, DEN, KC, OAK, SD, SEA, WAS, NYG, PHI, ARZ, DAL, CHI, DET, GB, MIN, NA, NA, NA, NA, NA

And then I want the AFC East to start with Team 05 (Cin) and end with Team 07 (Hou). Teams 08-0A would be AFC Central, and Teams 0B-0D would be AFC West. NFC East would be 0E-10; NFC North would be 11-13; and NFC West would be 14-16. The first 5 teams and last 5 teams would not be refereed at all.

So I can do this in the Leader's Screen due to Cather's information:

For anyone interested the hex locations and explanation for changing team rankings screens:

The first group is for the offense and the second group for defense I believe:

X2397d change from 00 0E to 00 xx (where xx = 1 plus the number of teams in both leagues)

X23980 change from 00 0E to 00 xx (where xx = 1 plus the last team in the afc)

X23985 change from 0E 1C to XX YY (where xx = the first team in the nfc and yy = 1 plus the last team in the nfc)

X23989 change from 00 0E to 00 xx (where xx = 1 plus the number of teams in both leagues)

X2398B change from 00 0E to 00 xx (where xx = 1 plus the last team in the afc)

X23990 change from 0E 1C to XX YY (where xx = the first team in the nfc and yy = 1 plus the last team in the nfc)

Hope this is helpful.

And if I need to manual hex the teams to the right positions in the Team Select Screen I can do that; just need to find a way to reference where each division STARTS and ENDS when locating team date.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

For changing the size of divisions you want x23F6D-x23F78 but you'll have to move the teams as well as edit the team select screens. First byte is the team # for the first team in division and second byte is # of teams in division. You'll know its right by checking the season standings.

00 05 = Buffalo 5 teams

05 04 = Cincinnati 4 teams

09 05 = Denver 5 teams

0E 05 = Washington 5 teams

13 05 = Chicago 5 teams

18 04 = San Francisco 4 teams

For changing the size of divisions you want x23F6D-x23F78 but you'll have to move the teams as well as edit the team select screens. First byte is the team # for the first team in division and second byte is # of teams in division. You'll know its right by checking the season standings.

00 05 = Buffalo 5 teams

09 05 = Denver 5 teams

13 05 = Chicago 5 teams

Awesome! I actually feel like a moron now because I have this code written down but though it only affected the Team Ranking screen. But now I know its the official breakdown of the league that makes everything so much easier :) THANKS!!!!!

Re-writing this for my own memory:

X2397c change from 00 0E to XX YY (where xx = the first team in the nfc and where yy = 1 plus the number of teams in both leagues)

X23980 change from 00 0E to XX YY (where xx = the first team in the nfc and where yy = 1 plus the last team in the afc)

X23985 change from 0E 1C to XX YY (where xx = the first team in the nfc and yy = 1 plus the last team in the nfc)

X23989 change from 00 0E to XX YY (where xx = the first team in the nfc and where yy = 1 plus the number of teams in both league)

X2398B change from 00 0E to XX YY (where xx = the first team in the nfc and where yy = 1 plus the last team in the afc)

X23990 change from 0E 1C to XX YY (where xx = the first team in the nfc and yy = 1 plus the last team in the nfc)

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome! I actually feel like a moron now because I have this code written down but though it only affected the Team Ranking screen. But now I know its the official breakdown of the league that makes everything so much easier :) THANKS!!!!!

I made SEATTLE a NFC team, like you said:

09 04 = Denver 4 teams

0D 05 = SEATTLE 5 teams

12 05 = Dallas 5 teams

17 04 = Tampa Bay 5 teams,

and the STANDINGS menu shows this changes the way I wanted, but in Team Data, when you enter the Team rosters of SEA, DAL, and T.B. they still show this info. (right next to the Team's name) their "earlier" Division (and in SEATTLE's case, it still shows that SEA is an AFC team) so I decided to play the whole season myself, just like big red. and yes, Seattle became the leader of NFC's Eastern Division, ( I got my "STAR" and my Divisional playoff both, on the NFC side) but when I tried to begin with the Playoffs, It was all jammed and screwed up!!, I really dunno what just happened there!!

I think you need this article: http://tecmobowl.org/topic/7850-removing-teams-from-the-menu/page__hl__%20nfl%20%20standings#entry71010

Here ill quote the one I think is what you need to change:

NFL Standings menu

-----------------------

this is the code that loads the correct teams for each division on the "NFL Standings" screen.

.org $AF34 ; @ 0x22F44 in rom
LDA $45 ; *1
ASL
TAY
LDA $BF5D,Y ; *2
LDX $BF5E,Y ; *3
STX $90
JSR $B3EC

*1 = get the division index (00=AFC-E; 05=NFC-W)

*2 = get the starting team index

*3 = get the number of teams in the division

0x23F6D - 0x23F78 (12bytes)

these are the bytes that control the setup (pointed to by *2 and *3)

so:

$00, $04 = division starts at BUF and ends with N.E.

the length byte has to be $04 or $05 or the screen will stay black, but it won't crash. it'll still let you back out to the main menu.

NFL Standings menu

-----------------------

this is the code that loads the correct teams for each division on the "NFL Standings" screen.

.org $AF34 ; @ 0x22F44 in rom

LDA $45 ; *1

ASL

TAY

LDA $BF5D,Y ; *2

LDX $BF5E,Y ; *3

STX $90

JSR $B3EC

*1 = get the division index (00=AFC-E; 05=NFC-W)

*2 = get the starting team index

*3 = get the number of teams in the division

So where are these divisions stored??,

Oh yeah I have no idea how to do a 3 team division. I actually was going to do that but gave up and decided to make my rom with 4 teams per division. Maybe someone else can help but I couldn't find how to do it at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found a note Carther sent me a while ago about this same topic, but it is still incomplete in order to make a team change its division:

at x30031 a9 0E (where 0E=14, is the start of the NFC)
at x30037 a9 00 (where 00 is the start of the AFC)
at x30039 a2 0E (where 0E is the end of the AFC)
at x3003E a9 00 (where 00 is the start of LEAGUE)
at x30040 a2 1C (where 1C=28, is the end of LEAGUE)....He mentioned this controls the INDIVIDUAL LEADERS , but in other thread they say this part has to do with the Playoffs,

and for making the TEAMS STANDINGS: at x23F6D it currently reads 00 05 05 04 09 05 0E 05 13 05 18 04 this is the division structure for the standings screens. Every two numbers is a division.

(that has been explained previously on this same thread)

Then he mentioned the TEAM RANKINGS:

(that has been explained previously on this same thread)

at x2397C it currently reads 00 1C (1C (28) equals the number of teams in all leagues)
at x23980 it currently reads 00 0E (Where 0E (14) the number of teams in the AFC)
at x23984 it currently reads 0E 1C (Where 0E is the first team in the NFC and 1C is the last team in the NFC)

at x23988 it currently reads 00 1C (1C (28) equals the number of teams in all leagues)
at x2398C it currently reads 00 0E (Where 0E (14) the number of teams in the AFC)
at x23990 it currently reads 0E 1C (Where 0E is the first team in the NFC and 1C is the las team in the NFC)

But then he mentioned the PLAYOFFS part:

at x22E4E it currently reads A9 00 20 (Where 00 is the AFC EAST)

at x22E53 it currently reads A9 01 20 (Where 01 is the AFC CENTRAL)

at x22E58 it currently reads A9 02 20 (Where 02 is the AFC WEST)

at x22E5D it currently reads A9 03 20 (Where 03 is the NFC EAST)

at x22E62 it currently reads A9 04 20 (Where 04 is the NFC CENTRAL)

at x22E67 it currently reads A9 05 20 (Where 05 is the NFC WEST)

at x23271 it currently reads A9 00 20 (Where 00 is the first team in AFC)

at x2328F it currently reads A9 0E 20 (Where 0E is the first team in NFC)

And I found something about the TEXT part to set the Team Data correct:

at  x2E7F6 - is the number of teams in AFC (default 0E) to assign CONFERENCE TEXT(AFC/NFC) in TEAM DATA

at  x2E822 - TEXT for DIVISION SETTINGS at TEAM DATA (6A=EAST, 6B=CENTRAL, 6C=WEST)

But even with all of this, the "missing parts" for setting the playoffs and PRO-Teams, won't  make the game complete

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I made SEATTLE a NFC team, like you said:

09 04 = Denver 4 teams

0D 05 = SEATTLE 5 teams

12 05 = Dallas 5 teams

17 04 = Tampa Bay 5 teams,

and the STANDINGS menu shows this changes the way I wanted, but in Team Data, when you enter the Team rosters of SEA, DAL, and T.B. they still show this info. (right next to the Team's name) their "earlier" Division (and in SEATTLE's case, it still shows that SEA is an AFC team) so I decided to play the whole season myself, just like big red. and yes, Seattle became the leader of NFC's Eastern Division, ( I got my "STAR" and my Divisional playoff both, on the NFC side) but when I tried to begin with the Playoffs, It was all jammed and screwed up!!, I really dunno what just happened there!!

I found out the Team Data information for each team's division is @2E822.

• 2 months later...

00 05 = Buffalo 5 teams

09 05 = Denver 5 teams

13 05 = Chicago 5 teams

This did not seem to change the division sizes when I made changes in the 32 team roms? How would one adjust division sizes for that?

Specifically the 8 divisions would have

4 teams, 4 teams, 3 teams, 3 teams

6 teams, 6 teams, 3 teams, 3 teams

The list is for the 28 Team Rom, not 32. Also making a division 3 teams does not work from here, you have to code it differently in the rom (this is why I went with 4 teams per division as I couldn't find out how to make them 3 teams per division).

Not sure if you can make a 6 team division at all, as only 5 teams can be seen in rankings per division.

• 7 years later...

Found this on site...just wanted it here because it's relevant. 

Jstout came up with a code for having 3 teams in a division working properly (graphics and everything). It works as follows:

At offsets: x22FB6 - 22FD6 input the following code:
EAEAEAEAEAEAEAA590C903F007A59DA20320CCAF201EA8A901209ACCA59018692D

I am not the right person to explain this code properly, so perhaps someone with the knowledge will be able to.

Then you can go to the Team setup for the Standings screen, at offset x23F6D (x3F79B for the 32 teams rom)

Where it reads: 00 05 05 04 09 05 0E 05 13 05 18 04 . Green values represent the number of teams each division has (the black values are for the first team of each division). The code made by jstout will only let you have 3 or 4 teams. So now you MUST input a value of 3 or 4 (not 5 anymore, or it will show a black screen)

The 3 teams code still needs some graphic tweaks. So at offset x1F00E input this code:

61EBB0FC18B08261CBB08281B0B082A1B0B082C1B0B082E1

and at offset x1F08C,  input this code: EB1423FF

This will fix the Graphics for the Standings Menu.

Edited by fgqb#19nyj