Detroit's Tecmo Kumite - Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament - Saturday, January 12, 2013

bob sacamano

That's a good question Eric, and not an easy question to answer. The situation truly dictates everything. First off, take this with a grain of salt. Everything under review needs to be discussed by my staff and I. So these are just my personal thoughts, off the cuff:

The lurcher definitely would have to get a stern warning. A second lurch at any point in time, would be an automatic disqualification from the tournament, if not the first. If it were game changing enough, lifting this player to victory, I would then send it to a sudden death overtime, where the lurchee (the victim) gets the ball first.

If the situation were to be even worse, where this aforementioned hypothetical overtime would actually benefit the lurcher, and put him in a better situation than what was in front of him prior to the lurching - I would go as far to deem the lurchee (victim) the automatic winner of the contest.

Like I mentioned, these are just my own personal thoughts, and everything would go under review of our tournament board, luckytool, joe moskwa, and myself (if applicable).

At one of the Cleveland tournaments I attended some guy was ranting about playing for $1000.  He didn't play very well in the tournament, but he was highly volatile and it wouldn't have been worth the effort.  Probably wouldn't have paid up, or worse, gotten violent.

You stay classy Cleveland.

It went well didnt get as many show ups compared to rsvps that said theyd would... but thats to be expected. And as for the random drawin for who plays who and whos 1st or 2nd player i wrote everyone name down cut it out n taped each indiv. one to a quarter. It worked out with no conflicts. Winner took home a crispy hundo bill. Im hopin to get a copy of the tsb13 to host another tourney. Even if i have to bribe (if not me) the winner of the D tourney wirh some cash... Im currently in talks with my old Hs fb coach to see if I can use the 20' x 20' projection sceen for the next tourney.... hells yeah

At one of the Cleveland tournaments I attended some guy was ranting about playing for $1000.  He didn't play very well in the tournament, but he was highly volatile and it wouldn't have been worth the effort.  Probably wouldn't have paid up, or worse, gotten violent.

The lead singer for Janus, the horrible band that played right after the Tomczak Bowl this year challenged Luke (winner) to a game (next year of course) for $1000 too.  I'm bringing my ATM card and big friend next year.  Since us Nebraska people are so cordial and were a long ways from home, we didn't push the issue, but we probably should have.  There are clowns like that in every town I think.   :)

It's cool that this is going to be held at the Old Shillelagh (sp) too.  I've only been to Detroit once, about 10 years ago and got blasted in that place.  I remember dancing to Irish music with a guy/gal dressed up in a chicken suit.  Good times!

Edited by moulds33

Man "reg" you should put our tapping abilities to good use. Instead of doing juice_offs....we could put ur tapping abilities towards to auto emergency car services. You could hook up "jumper cables" to your controller (As u tap)...to start car dead car battery's lol.

Hey guys. Tourney is going on like donkey kong.

Follow me on twitter for updates: @tecmodell42

Can someone do me a huge favor, and post the TPC xFactor rankings in this thread? For some reason we can't view it on the TPC page, and it's been a popular request today. Thanks guys!!

Hey Eric see below.  Sorry I can't be there today!  Looking forward to the updates/recaps :)

S.F     -0.9 

HOU   -0.7

GIA     -0.7

BUF    -0.6

PHI      -0.5

RAI     -0.4

CIN     -0.3

CHI     -0.3

K.C     -0.2

MIA     -0.1

DET    -0.1

MIN     -0.1

RAM    0.0 

S.D      0.0 

T.B      0.0 

WAS    0.0 

DEN     0.0

PIT       0.1

DAL     0.2

PHX     0.3

JET      0.4

ATL     0.5

G.B      0.6

N.O      0.6

CLE     0.7

N.E      0.9

SEA     0.9

IND      1.0

post-8019-0-32160100-1358021196_thumb.jp

Edited by UltimateWeapon

35 players turned out for Detroit's inaugural TSB tourney, the Tecmo Kumite.  The tournament had a random draw to determine opponents per round, and a triple elimination format.  The tournament wasn't decided by @forock33, David Fulcher, as I had predicted, but the impact DB of the Cincinnati Bengals, certainly made his fair share of big plays throughout the tournament.

Regulator dominated throughout most of the day, and the field really had their backs against the wall.  As of round 11, Regulator still hadn't lost a game, with the remaining 3 competitors (luckytool, red98sethuthut, Jason P.) all clinging to their tournament lives, with 2 losses each.  red98sethuthut (Louis B.) continues his vast improvement over recent years, and takes down Regulator with a thrilling last second 21-20 victory, DAL over PIT.  Unfortunately for Louis, he stalled in the round 12 rematch against Regulator (PHX over GB), and finished up an impressive run in 3rd place.

It took 13 rounds to decide a winner, as Regulator (10-1) took on O'Toole (9-2) in the Tecmo Kumite final.  Regulator (MIA) held off O'Toole (WAS) 24-21 to win the Detroit's inaugural TSB Tourney, the Tecmo Kumite!

OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE

* Jason P. (Harrison Twp.) finished with an impressive, yet "out of the money" 4th place finish with a 27-17, 10th round knockout, to luckytool (PHX over NYJ).

* Tournament contributor, Joe M. (Chesterfield, MI) also was knocked out by luckytool, 21-10 (DEN over TB), in round 9.

* The draws were more evil to some than others...

• Mort's 3 defeats were to regulator, luckytool, and tecmodell42
  • After starting 3-0, tecmodell42 drew regulator in two consecutive contests, losing one in OT after having a two score lead, and another by a TD.  He was then outplayed by a poised Louis B, knocking him out of the tournament with a 14-3 defeat, MIN over SD.
  • Bradbears drew cousin, regulator in round 1, and dropped a hearbreaking OT loss 24-21 (HOU over SF).  His other 2 losses were to Mort, and luckytool.

What an awesome time, and a great tournament! Thanks to everyone for coming out, and providing all of the equipment we needed to make this event run smoothly.  It truly could not have worked out any better!

A huge thank you to my beautiful wife Megan for putting up with me, and her organizational contributions throughout.  Buddy of luckytool, Chaz - whose wife was 9 months, and 4 days pregnant, you were so awesome, and were such huge contributor to our events success!  Luckytool, and Nick C, a big thank you for letting me crash in your room, and Joe M. - a massive thank you for all of your help, contributions and ideas!

We are hoping to possibly run another event in the spring, and if we do, it is sure to be even bigger and better!  The Tecmo Kumite was a great success!  Until next time...!

EO

Nice write up Eric.  For a first time tourney, it was an absolute success, even with drawing regulator in round one *cough BULLSHIT cough*  :)  But, it was nice to see many old & experienced faces along with new ones who are now completely hooked after participating in this tournament.

Good show buddy & hope more people get a chance to do it next time!  :)

Looked like an awesome time!  I really like the format a lot, though I suppose you could draw the same guy in back to back games.  Did that happen to anyone?  How long did the tournament last?

I was also curious how long it took to run through triple elim

Looked like an awesome time!  I really like the format a lot, though I suppose you could draw the same guy in back to back games.  Did that happen to anyone?  How long did the tournament last?

Brian, I believe it actually happened 3 times, and all 3 were against Regulator!

I unfortunately, drew him in Round 4 (25 players remaining), and in Round 5 (22 players remaining).  Joe M. drew him in Round 7 (11 players remaining), and in Round 8 (8 players remaining).  Each of these occurrences, gave us both our 1st and 2nd losses of the tournament.  And lastly, Louis B. got him in Round 11 (4 remaining), and Round 12 (3 remaining).

Obviously, the further you get in the tourney, the likelihood of it occurring becomes increasingly higher, and it's quite unavoidable.  Not so much when I got him, but that's the beast that is the Tecmo Kumite!

I was also curious how long it took to run through triple elim

We ended up with 35 players.  34 players need to lose 3 games = 102 total games.  With 9 stations, that came out to 17 games per hour.  102 games, divided by 17 games per hour, mathematically comes out to 6 hours of play.  Obviously, variables set in that can increase that projection, including the drawing of oppenents each round, etc.  We started at about 10:15, and finished up at around 7:00 - 9 hours of play.  A bit longer than projected, but still within the time constraints we were given by the bar.  It worked out quite well!

Ah, I was thinking of experimenting with triple elimination next year to cut time, but it seems like it takes longer.  It makes sense the further you go along, the more likely the chance of repeat matchups.  But I wondered if anyone drew someone in round 1 and round 2, especially an extremely talented player.  That would be total suck.