Sign in to follow this  
Knobbe

"NFL FILMS PRESENTS: Tecmo Bowl" lives up to the hype

The main story of "NFL FILMS PRESENTS: Tecmo Bowl" revolves around profiling four of the favorites to win the March, 2012 tournament: "Mort", Sobhi, The Vogt Brothers, and tournament co-founder Chet. Sprinkled into the mix is a series of former and current NFL players reminiscing about their days playing Tecmo, including former Tecmo Super Bowl stars Emmitt Smith and Christian Okoye. One of the most famous players from the game, Christian fittingly is the NFL player featured and serves to illustrate just how far NFL video game have grown in popularity over the years. While many current players will actively lobby EA Sports for higher ratings in Madden, Okoye has only a passing knowledge of the game from fans throughout the years than from actually playing it. As you might expect, Bo Jackson makes an appearance on the show though only in the form of "Tecmo Bo." (BTW, the most legendary video game athlete of all time, despite being asked weekly about the game, has claimed never to have played it.)

1gMEg.tecmo.madison.nfl.films.jpg

The overall production is exactly what you would expect from NFL Films, the booming voice of

narrator Robb Webb starting the show"A video game from a bygone era...still alive in the Mid-West....it's Tecmo Super Bowl." It's this classic compelling NFL Films story telling that takes us through the tournament as the favorites are eliminated one by one up to the championship. The group of people I watched the piece with proved that you don't have to know a single thing about Tecmo Super Bowl to find this a fun and entertaining walk through of one of the greatest video football games ever created. The crowd favorite proved to be "Mort" with his genuine enthusiasm in competing in Tecmo tournaments. The Tecmo enthusiast will be impressed by the amount of research and detail that went into this production. Most stories of Tecmo Super Bowl, while glowing tributes, are filled with inaccuracies.

1gMEL.tecmo.super.bowl.nfl.films.jpg

While Tecmo might have missed the mark when trying to re-release the game as Tecmo Bowl Throwback to the X-box and Playstation, NFL Films managed to exceed my expectations in telling the story of an 8-bit football game from 1991. If you've ever played Tecmo Super Bowl before, you're not only going to love this story, you're probably going to try and find that old NES and immediately fire up a game. (Don't worry, you can play this online these days) The show will air

• 10/22/12 @ 12:30 a.m. EST (ESPN 2)
  • 10/24/12 @ 2:30 p.m. EST (ESPN 2)
  • 10/26/12 @ 4:30 p.m. EST (NFL Network)
  • 10/27/12 @ 1:30 p.m. EST (NFL Network)

1gMEs.emmitt.smith.tecmo.nfl.films.jpg

View full article

I checked my cable guide... seems that the first broadcast here in Indy is TUESDAY morning @ 12:30am EST, not Monday morning 2:30am EST.

Anyone else check their guides & have different program times?

We need to keep pirated streams of this show off the site.

Here is an excerpt from the "electronic letter" I received today.

It has come to our attention that unauthorized videos or video-based media are present on your website or social media presence. We demand that all traces of this media be removed immediately.

We need to keep pirated streams of this show off the site.

Here is an excerpt from the "electronic letter" I received today.

I don't think it was pirated dave,it wasn't a torrent. But whatever it's all good.

I don't think it was pirated dave,it wasn't a torrent. But whatever it's all good.

Anything that is not sanctioned by NFL Films or its rights holders would be considered pirated or unauthorized, torrent or not.

Cool to see some guys I've played against (and beaten a few times) profiled on the show. Wish I could attend the Madison tourney, but it's a long way from Florida so probably won't ever make it unless I hit the lotto!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By davefmurray
      Tecmo Madison XIII Powered by Hyperkin
      By Chris Vogt
      Tecmo Writer
      MADISON, Wisc. — New director. New venue. Same result.

In its inaugural year under fresh management, Tecmo Madison XIII on April 8, 2017, provided its usual spectacle of 8-bit magic. Amidst the shoulder-to-shoulder spectator crowd in a packed High Noon Saloon, joeygats (Joseph Chiltowsky) marched through a gauntlet of 292 competitors — including Regulator (Kyle Miller) in the finale — to capture his second Tecmo Super Bowl world championship title in a row.

Joeygats (left) & Regulator - Tecmo XIII Finalists
      BY THE NUMBERS
      Competitors: 292 Attendees: 753 Live Stream Viewers: 161,076 -- Twitch: 74,551 - Facebook Live: 86,525

"Tecmo Madison XIII was a success in every measurable way: from the size of the crowd, quality of the playing field, record number of spectators, unbelievable live stream size, awesome attitudes all around and our amazing title sponsor, Hyperkin.," said director and Florida native Dave Murray, who took over Tecmo Madison from tournament creators Josh and Chet Holzbauer.

"We knew taking over from the kings of Madison in Josh and Chet that there was a risk of a drop-off in the participation of folks who felt this was the death of an era, but the response to keeping it alive was humbling and heartwarming," Murray added. "We knew this community had a love for the game and the tournament that could keep this thing going and our record-breaking registrations and wait list attest to that.

"It was a gamble on our part, but the community gambled with us and it all worked out great." Tecmo Madison grew to a record number of participants across the two-day event at approximately 750 and a record number of live stream viewers at 150,000-plus.

Having major sponsors in Hyperkin and Koei Tecmo helped solidify the event as a major tournament in the esports growing scene. "The event blew away every metric we projected," Murray said, noting how successful the Friday Night Retro gig was the evening before that consisted of an NBA Jam and NHL 95 tournament. "Obviously with all of these people coming in from all over, they were happy to have an opportunity to hang out and play an additional day and that was really great to see," Murray added.

"Making this a multi-day event is something that we'll definitely be continuing in future tournaments. "The venue was fantastic," Murray explained of High Noon Saloon, a two-tier tavern with ample viewing spots. "Having everyone in the same room really ramped up the excitement, and the balcony provided a great vantage point for spectators."

Murray said while the venue provided an ideal spot to host the weekend-long event, fitting the 750 attendees comfortably throughout the two days became a noticeable concern. "Josh and Chet had it dialed in after having it at the Badger Bowl for consecutive years, so there were, of course, expected hiccups in taking over and moving it — notably space," Murray explained. "But, again, the community was incredible to deal with some tight quarters for opening rounds and it was amazing how many stuck around."

Tecmo Madison XIII
      LEADING UP TO THE BIG DANCE
      The road to making Tecmo Madison XIII possible consisted of leaps and bounds — an entire year of planning, plotting, traveling, and gathering 70+ CRT televisions. There were months of development on a new website that included a backend scoring system and real-time brackets and stats as the tournament was taking place — a Tecmo Madison first.

There were months of courting potential sponsors to provide additional prizing opportunities (like a meet and greet with Bo Jackson in Chicago) and to help defer some of the additional costs of moving to a new venue. Hyperkin supported the event in many ways, especially by providing the system hardware. Tecmo Madison used the Hyperkin RetroN 1 system throughout the day. This helped alleviate a big technical hiccup the event typically experienced -- having to find, tune and rebuild old Nintendo Entertainment Systems, which were released in 1985. "Hyperkin saved the day in a lot of ways. We wanted to make a big leap this year with our tournament. To do that, we needed to double the amount of hardware in use. Without Hyperkin's RetroN 1 support, 292 players don't happen," states Murray.

There were months of creating marketing assets and deploying them to build the live stream audience to give a larger platform to our players and let the online Tecmo community see what our players are up to.

"First and foremost, Josh and Chet built this thing, so this couldn't have happened without them having started this crazy tournament and then being willing to let some guys from Florida take it over," Murray said. "What made it a success was a ton of hard work, and then a very willing community to join us. It took a game that still resonates to even get sponsors to answer our calls. "It took the faith of the venue who had never even heard of video game competitions."
      COMPETITION OUT THE SEAMS
      For Chiltowsky, also known as JoeyGats, to win back to back Tecmo Super Bowl world championship titles is a lightning-strike situation, Murray stated. But what's even more striking? Chet Holzbauer did it in 2012 and 2013. "The competition at Madison this year was fierce," Murray said "All-time high? That is tough to say. We are missing some heavyweights these days, but I think our field is keeping pace with being the biggest and hardest tournament there is."

"There is always room for more top players," Murray added. "Any given Sunday, as they say." While Chiltowsky was deemed as a favorite to go far at Tecmo Madison XIII, the thought of him not losing a single game was logistically doubtful. Chiltowsky, now, has not lost a single Tecmo Madison game in two years.

Joeygats (right) - Tecmo Madison XIII Champion[/caption]
      "A lot of those in the know rolled their eyes collectively when people knew I had JoeyGats winning it all again," Murray said. "Having a front row seat to him killing everyone last year, it was not unrealistic for him to do it again in my opinion." "But then watching Regulator (Kyle Miller) at our Tundra Bowl IV qualifier in Green Bay, I figured we would have a Gats/Regulator final and was thinking Regulator would win," Murray added. "JoeyGats going undefeated twice is something I don’t think will ever happen again," Murray continued. "Back to back undefeated runs in any sport is beyond statistical measure. He has been hit with Tecmo lightning twice at this point." Miller credited Chiltowsky on his performance. "That run was sick," Miller said. "That's why he's the best. Only the best can overcome the different hands Tecmo deals you. The best can overcome bad luck. That's why he wins. "I plan on changing this, of course," Miller poked. Chiltowsky played in a 2016 title rematch with Aaron "The Kid" Toner, and he went through Rico Rieck, Louis Buennagel and Matt Vogt to eventually get to Kyle Miller in the title game. "The whole thing was incredible," Chiltowsky said. "I still can't believe I came out on top with that field, especially since leading up to it I was getting demolished in practice hotel games prior and just not playing good." While this year didn’t have a Cinderella like last year in Aaron Toner reaching the finals against Chiltowsky, budding Tecmoers such as Russel Sloan (Neerrm), Isaac Wright (DisastaMasta) and Jim Persins (JimSocks) took progressions in their top-8 placements. "Having Neerrm place third was great for the community," Murray said. "He is such a big part of the online Tecmo scene and retrogaming, that it was fun to seem him take the world’s best to the ropes." Added Murray: "There is always room for the next 'The Kid' (Toner) to knock off Mort and Regulator. Surprises will always happen and are always welcome."
      TAKING A MEMORABLE NOTE
      Those who typically stick around to soak up the entire tournament experience are there for the memories made. And that's no exception for Kyle Miller. "I loved the vibe," Miller said. "While it was a little crowded at first, the outdoor patio area was a great spot for socializing. I did more talking this year to new and old friends than any other." Murray concurred. "All these people who rarely see each other come together and pick right up where they left off and that is awesome," Murray said. "Also seeing new players get welcomed in, watching them make connections and friendships that they'll take with them after the tournament. "Seeing the community embrace the idea of Josh and Chet passing the torch to a new generation running the tournament, yet still agreeing to be a part of it is priceless." Chiltowsky said he wants to continue to be a part of Tecmo Madison. "Even though it causes me so much stress and I get super ill the night before, I'll keep playing, absolutely," Chiltowsky explained. "Because not all stress is bad stress. Plus, I get to spend time with a lot of people I consider good friends." Chiltowsky credits some of those fellow Tecmoers for his success the last two tournaments. "Dave (Murray) is the reason any of my Madison wins are even possible. Without him I wouldn't have made it these last two years," Chiltowsky said. "I owe Dave all the thanks in the world, along with Mort (Francis Buennagel), Lou (Louis Buennagel) and my main key to winning, Hank the Tank (Hank De Wild). "Winning Madison really changed my life and I couldn't have done any of it without the support of the community," Chiltowsky added.
      WHAT'S NEXT FOR TECMO MADISON?
      Tecmo Madison XIII is only the beginning. "We never want to lose sight of the tight-knit origins of the Madison event," Murray said. "But due to the great work of Josh and Chet this is now the de facto world championships. As such we have more and more people wanting to participate, and we will continue to grow responsibly to address that demand. "That growth might be via multiple events across other states, or with growing the overall size of the Madison event," Murray stated. Tecmo Madison has an event lined up in Dallas in August. "If there is Tecmo in Madison, I will come," said Miller, who will be traveling with Chiltowski to a Tecmo Madison satellite tournament in Dallas. "It's a once a year commitment and one hell of a time. "Where else in the world can you drink, socialize and play a video game all day?" Miller added. "I pray for many more strong years to come." While High Noon Saloon allowed tournament organizers to have participants in one room, which was the goal Murray said, it made for some cramped quarters in the first round. "A larger venue is definitely in our future," he said. Seeding and bracketing with nearly 30-percent of players being first-timers also highlighted some challenges. "We are already working to improve bracketing so that the pace of the tournament can speed up," Murray said. "On that same note, with a brand new scorekeeping system we were slowed down slightly, but that was its maiden voyage. Next year, it will work to its full potential with trained scorekeepers." But according to Miller, it's not about the score. "Playing at live Tecmo tournaments never gets old. I love talking to guys about life and Tecmo," Miller said. "Though if Tecmo was an esport, I would have a new full-time job. I'm glad companies like Hyperkin are involved now. Hopefully, they will start sponsoring us players. I would love a Regulator jersey!" On Murray's watch, that's not out of the question.
      Stream Stats
      Twitch
      Twitch stats - taken from SocialBlade.com[/caption] Facebook Live

Originally posted on TecmoMadison.com

View full article
    • By vogtcd11
      What: 2012 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament (Fifth Annual)
      When: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 11 a.m. registration; noon start time
      Where: Rick’s Tavern & Grille, 5955 Boymel Drive, Fairfield, Ohio 45014
      Who: Anyone who loves to play Tecmo Super Bowl
      Maximum participants: 64
      Buy-in: $20
      Prizes: Trophies, cash and handouts
      Twitter Hashtag: #OhioV

Tournament Format
      Format No. 1:
      The 2012 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament is a world cup style tournament with a capacity of 64 participants. Pre-tournament, the organizers will divide the field into groups of four. Well-known and unknown players will be distributed evenly throughout the field. Each group will play a round-robin, meaning all four players within each group will play one another once. Each tournament participant is guaranteed three games. Only the top two participants from each group will advance from group play. The top two players from each group will be selected by overall record. If two players have the same record, a head-to-head tiebreaker will determine tournament placement. If three players have the same record, point differential will break the tie. The maximum point differential available in an individual game is 28 points. This should alleviate any unnecessary tension in lopsided group play games. A single-elimination format will follow group play. Each group winner is guaranteed a spot in the single-elimination Field of 32. Once the Field of 32 is assembled, a single-elimination tournament will proceed until only a champion remains.

Format No. 2:
      If there are less than 32 participants, the tournament will be played using a triple-elimination format. This guarantees every player at least three games. No pool play will be administered in this format.

Game Play
      Team Selection and Coin Toss:
      A manual coin-flip will precede each game. Flip winner chooses the matchup. Flip loser then selects either one of the two teams or his preferred controller. If the flip loser selects preferred controller, the flip winner selects a team first. The coin-flip winner can only pick a certain matchup once during the entire tournament.

Playbooks and Lineup:
      Customizing playbooks is allowed. You can access your “change” screen (screen where you check player conditions and make substitutions) only twice per half. This helps speed up the games.

WR or TE at RB:
      A WR is at RB only if, upon accessing the starting lineup/change screen, the WR appears in a RB slot (as opposed to a WR slot). This is prohibited. WRs that remain in a WR slot may, however, carry the football. This comes into play with teams having only 1 RB slot, such as the Lions, Chargers, Cardinals, Oilers, Falcons, and Redskins. When selecting matchups, therefore, be aware that Ricky Sanders and Earnest Givins can carry the football on plays in which they remain in a WR slot (i.e. offset I and toss up).

Ties:
      Although ties are permitted in the tournament’s “group play” portion, such are not permitted in the single-elimination portion of the tournament. If a game ends in a tie after overtime, a new game will begin, and the first player to score in the new game is the winner.

Lurching:
      Lurching is prohibited. If you want to rush with a DL, you must either go outside the offensive tackle or “popcorn” someone on the offensive line. You cannot simply go around your blocker and dive. Note that this rule does not apply to LBs.

Game Malfunctions:
      If there is an equipment failure in the first half, games will be replayed from the start. If equipment malfunctions in the 2nd half, only the second half is replayed. In that event, the scores from each half are added together to obtain a final score. If the game was uncompetitive or the equipment malfunctioned due to human error, the tourney organizers reserve the right to declare a winner without replaying any portion of the game.

Tournament Issues:
      Questions and concerns should be brought to tourney director Chris Vogt’s attention. If Chris is not available, his brothers Jimmy Vogt and Matt Vogt have the next say on the issue.

Equipment information
      Bring any consoles, cartridges, adaptors and controllers you can get your hands on. Those who live closer will supply the TVs.

Hotel information
      Holiday Inn Express
      6755 Fairfield Business Center Dr.
      Fairfield, Ohio
      (513) 860-2900
      Will call back.

Extended Stay America
      9651 Seward Road
      Fairfield, Ohio
      (513) 860-5733
      980-345-1600
      Will call back.

Flight information
      The airport closest to Fairfield, Ohio is the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport located in Covington, Ky. It has rental car access. http://www.cvgairport.com/

Contact Information
      Chris Vogt
      Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament
      Head Director
      (513) 225-3274
      [email protected]

Players Signed Up, City
      1.) Chris Vogt, Hamilton, Ohio
      2.) Matt Vogt, Hamilton, Ohio
      3.) Jimmy Vogt, Hamilton, Ohio
      4.) A.J. Fullam, Fairfield, Ohio
      5.) Derek Ruble, Indianapolis, Ind.
      6.) Kevin Smith, NY
      7.) Louis Buennagel, Buffalo, NY
      8.) Francis Buennagel, Buffalo, NY
      9.) Ryan McKay, N. Ridgeville, Ohio
      10.) Matt Miller, Elkhart, Ind.
      11.) Matt Tarrillion, Parryville, Mo.
      12.) Matt Billmyer, Milwaukee, Wisc.
      13.) Jay Mahabir, Macomb, Mich.
      14.) Ali Khraizat , Dearborn, Mich.
      15.) Aaron Hake, Hamilton, Ohio
      16.) Brad Rinehart, Plainfield, Ind.
      17.) Steve Engle
      18.) Matt Diaz, Lebanon, Ohio
      19.) Hugh Stewart, Columbus, Ohio
      20.) Ryan Stewart, Columbus, Ohio
      21.) Kyle Stewart, Columbus, Ohio
      22.) Kyle Lupton, Dayton, Ohio
      23.) Mike Iozzi, Columbus, Ohio
      24.) Troy Henson
      25.) Ace Lib, Louisville, Ky.
      26.) Steven Johnson, Hamilton, Ohio
      27.) Chet Holzbauer, Madison, Wisc.
      28.) Josh Holzbauer, Madison, Wisc.
      29.) Dan Durch, Madison, Wisc.
      30.) Tony Orenga, Madison, Wisc.
      31.) Rico Rieck, Madison, Wisc.
      32.) Casey Strong, Hamilton, Ohio
      33.) Gary Schultz, Louisville, Ky.
      34.) Nick Vogt, Hamilton, Ohio

View full article
    • By red98sethuthut
      What:  The Buffalo NES/Sega Retro Olympic All Around Tournament
      When: November 11th 2017 11/11/2017 
      Where: AJ's Lounge 1028 Walden Avenue Buffalo NY 14211
      Time: 11am
      Entry Fee: $10 ( Pay in Person)
      Format: We play about ten different games from Nes and Sega. TSB a DEf. Others to voted on Like Nes ice Hockey, Megaman, Tecmo World Wrestling, Nba Jam ( I don't have this game), Nhl 94 or 95 ( which 1 is the better 1?), Tetris, Paper Boy, Rbi Baseball, TSB III, Tecmo Bowl, Eternal Champions, Contra, Mortal Kombat, Sports Talk Baseball. You will get a Medal (Gold, Silver, Bronze) for being 1st thru 3rd in any events. The person with most points wins the competition. Gold medal=3pts Silver=2pts Bronze=1pts
      Prize pool for Gold (55%), Silver 2nd(30%) and bronze 3rd(15%) +
      Who is Best ALL AROUND Nes/Sega Player.. @allamerican1569 @kevincabarello @thegamer1185 @mort1237 @TecmoPhycsco @davefmurray @segathonsov @Bad Moon Rison @Arncoem @TecSpectre
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Format: We will events in following games below. Each event is worth Gold (3pts), Silver (2pts), Bronze (1pts). The player with most points wins the event. Prize pool for Gold (55%), Silver 2nd(30%) and bronze 3rd(15%). All events are optional to play in.
      Games Nintendo:
      Nintendo (NES)
      - Tecmo Super Bowl (random selection, single elimination tourney, Madison Rules)
      - RBI Baseball (random selection, single elimination tourney) We may play 5 innings except for Championship game.
      - Super Mario Bros 3 (Very 1st level time trial, no pipe entry) Need a timer.
      - mega man 2  (Last Longer Contest on 1 Turn  on3 Lifes max, Game will played on a Labtop with an Rom and emulator. )
      - Mike Tyson's Punch Out ( Skip to tyson using cheat code, Most Points on 1 try. Game will played on a Labtop with an Rom and emulator.)
      -Tetris ( Start on any speed level u eant. Top 3 Point totals medal. Game could be played on laptob as well)

Games on Sega Genesis:
      - Mortal Kombat 1 (, single elimination tourney)
      - Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition (random selection, single elimination tourney)
      - NHL 95  (random selection, single elimination tourney)
      - NBa Jam TE (  (random selection, single elimination tourney)

Tie-Breaking Procedures.....
      A tie between 2 players...Both competitors will play man vs man Nes ice hockey ShootOut until someone wins. Via a Quick-Save State on a labtop. Lineup will be same for both teams. Flip a coin to determine whom goes first.
      A tie between 3 players or more---All 3 players will compete in a round by round FG kicking contest. The rules are simple. If you miss or kick is blocked you are out. If all 3 miss then it keeps going. It will be played on a labtop via an quick save state. Other players not kicking will rush with Lb1 or desired defender.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      REGISTERED PLAYERS:
      1. Louis B. ( @red98sethuthut) Buffalo NY 1 nes System 4 Tv's 1 Labtop ( 1Tsb Rom, 1 Icehockey Rom), 1 NES Adapdter for Controller, 1 TSB Carts, 1 Nes Ice hockey cart, 1 Tetris NES Carts, Two  RBI Baseball carts, 1 JeoPardy Nes Cart, 1 Track N Field nes cart, 1 Sega Genesis 2 Wireless Controlles, 1 Sega 3-buttoned Controller, 4 nHL 95 Sega carts, 1 SF2 cart, 1 Sportstalk baseball Cart, 2 Nba Jam TE Carts
      2. Francis B. ( @mort1237) Lakewood IL 1 nes system 1 TSB Cart, 1 NES Ice hockey Cart, 1 SuperMario 3 NES Cart IN_CONFIRMED
      3.  Jason P. ( @Laztlain) LockPort NY. 1 Princess Tv 1 Lcd tv 1 Nes System w/o Cords      IN-CONFIRMED                                                       
      4. Paul B. Townwanda Ny 1 Nes System 1 Tv 1 Cord IN-CONFIRMED
      5. Doug W. Buffalo NY 2 19. inch tube tvs, a NES, a sega, 4 six button controllers and an emulator cartridge to play on the sega. (And Tetris, NBA Jam, NHL 95, SF2, Eternal Champions, Tecmo Wrestling, & Ice Hockey if you need them.) IN-CONFIRMED
      6. Ray B.  @TecSpectre Is OUT
      7. Eugene K. Buffalo NY IN-CONFIRMED
      8. Brian F. Elma NY
      9. Kevin C. @kevincabarello Columbus Ohio 1 Sega Genesis, 1 Nes, 1 Snes, 4tv's, 1 Tsb Cart, 1 Rbi baseball cart, 1 MegaMan 2 cart, 1 Mike Tyson Punchout cart, 1 tetris cart, 1 Nba Jam Cart, 1 Nhl95 cart, 1 Sf2 cart, 1 Mortal Komabt cart, Super mario Brosthers 3 Cart ( nes), IN-CONFIRMED
      10. Tom C. (TommyGuns) Long Island NY 1 Nes Controller  OUT

1st step: email [email protected] with

NAME:
      NICKNAME:
      EQUIPMENT: Were in need of more N.E.S systems/Sega's and tube tv's to handle the format. carts and labtops. A
      HOMETOWN:
      PHONE #:
      Are you interested in going to the bills game that sunday vs the saints???

The below video link shows what is illegal.

NAME:
      NICKNAME:
      EQUIPMENT: We are in need of more N.E.S / Sega's systems and tube tv's to handle the format. What Nintendo/Sega Games can you bring? Do you have an labtop you can bring?
      HOMETOWN:
      PHONE #:
      What Games can you bring??? What date works for you best?
      Are you interested in going to the bills game that sunday vs the saints???

• By davefmurray
      Tecmo Madison XIII Powered by Hyperkin
      By Chris Vogt
      Tecmo Writer
      MADISON, Wisc. — New director. New venue. Same result.

In its inaugural year under fresh management, Tecmo Madison XIII on April 8, 2017, provided its usual spectacle of 8-bit magic. Amidst the shoulder-to-shoulder spectator crowd in a packed High Noon Saloon, joeygats (Joseph Chiltowsky) marched through a gauntlet of 292 competitors — including Regulator (Kyle Miller) in the finale — to capture his second Tecmo Super Bowl world championship title in a row.

Joeygats (left) & Regulator - Tecmo XIII Finalists
      BY THE NUMBERS
      Competitors: 292 Attendees: 753 Live Stream Viewers: 161,076 -- Twitch: 74,551 - Facebook Live: 86,525

"Tecmo Madison XIII was a success in every measurable way: from the size of the crowd, quality of the playing field, record number of spectators, unbelievable live stream size, awesome attitudes all around and our amazing title sponsor, Hyperkin.," said director and Florida native Dave Murray, who took over Tecmo Madison from tournament creators Josh and Chet Holzbauer.

"We knew taking over from the kings of Madison in Josh and Chet that there was a risk of a drop-off in the participation of folks who felt this was the death of an era, but the response to keeping it alive was humbling and heartwarming," Murray added. "We knew this community had a love for the game and the tournament that could keep this thing going and our record-breaking registrations and wait list attest to that.

"It was a gamble on our part, but the community gambled with us and it all worked out great." Tecmo Madison grew to a record number of participants across the two-day event at approximately 750 and a record number of live stream viewers at 150,000-plus.

Having major sponsors in Hyperkin and Koei Tecmo helped solidify the event as a major tournament in the esports growing scene. "The event blew away every metric we projected," Murray said, noting how successful the Friday Night Retro gig was the evening before that consisted of an NBA Jam and NHL 95 tournament. "Obviously with all of these people coming in from all over, they were happy to have an opportunity to hang out and play an additional day and that was really great to see," Murray added.

"Making this a multi-day event is something that we'll definitely be continuing in future tournaments. "The venue was fantastic," Murray explained of High Noon Saloon, a two-tier tavern with ample viewing spots. "Having everyone in the same room really ramped up the excitement, and the balcony provided a great vantage point for spectators."

Murray said while the venue provided an ideal spot to host the weekend-long event, fitting the 750 attendees comfortably throughout the two days became a noticeable concern. "Josh and Chet had it dialed in after having it at the Badger Bowl for consecutive years, so there were, of course, expected hiccups in taking over and moving it — notably space," Murray explained. "But, again, the community was incredible to deal with some tight quarters for opening rounds and it was amazing how many stuck around."

Tecmo Madison XIII
      LEADING UP TO THE BIG DANCE
      The road to making Tecmo Madison XIII possible consisted of leaps and bounds — an entire year of planning, plotting, traveling, and gathering 70+ CRT televisions. There were months of development on a new website that included a backend scoring system and real-time brackets and stats as the tournament was taking place — a Tecmo Madison first.

There were months of courting potential sponsors to provide additional prizing opportunities (like a meet and greet with Bo Jackson in Chicago) and to help defer some of the additional costs of moving to a new venue. Hyperkin supported the event in many ways, especially by providing the system hardware. Tecmo Madison used the Hyperkin RetroN 1 system throughout the day. This helped alleviate a big technical hiccup the event typically experienced -- having to find, tune and rebuild old Nintendo Entertainment Systems, which were released in 1985. "Hyperkin saved the day in a lot of ways. We wanted to make a big leap this year with our tournament. To do that, we needed to double the amount of hardware in use. Without Hyperkin's RetroN 1 support, 292 players don't happen," states Murray.

There were months of creating marketing assets and deploying them to build the live stream audience to give a larger platform to our players and let the online Tecmo community see what our players are up to.

"First and foremost, Josh and Chet built this thing, so this couldn't have happened without them having started this crazy tournament and then being willing to let some guys from Florida take it over," Murray said. "What made it a success was a ton of hard work, and then a very willing community to join us. It took a game that still resonates to even get sponsors to answer our calls. "It took the faith of the venue who had never even heard of video game competitions."
      COMPETITION OUT THE SEAMS
      For Chiltowsky, also known as JoeyGats, to win back to back Tecmo Super Bowl world championship titles is a lightning-strike situation, Murray stated. But what's even more striking? Chet Holzbauer did it in 2012 and 2013. "The competition at Madison this year was fierce," Murray said "All-time high? That is tough to say. We are missing some heavyweights these days, but I think our field is keeping pace with being the biggest and hardest tournament there is."

"There is always room for more top players," Murray added. "Any given Sunday, as they say." While Chiltowsky was deemed as a favorite to go far at Tecmo Madison XIII, the thought of him not losing a single game was logistically doubtful. Chiltowsky, now, has not lost a single Tecmo Madison game in two years.

Joeygats (right) - Tecmo Madison XIII Champion[/caption]
      "A lot of those in the know rolled their eyes collectively when people knew I had JoeyGats winning it all again," Murray said. "Having a front row seat to him killing everyone last year, it was not unrealistic for him to do it again in my opinion." "But then watching Regulator (Kyle Miller) at our Tundra Bowl IV qualifier in Green Bay, I figured we would have a Gats/Regulator final and was thinking Regulator would win," Murray added. "JoeyGats going undefeated twice is something I don’t think will ever happen again," Murray continued. "Back to back undefeated runs in any sport is beyond statistical measure. He has been hit with Tecmo lightning twice at this point." Miller credited Chiltowsky on his performance. "That run was sick," Miller said. "That's why he's the best. Only the best can overcome the different hands Tecmo deals you. The best can overcome bad luck. That's why he wins. "I plan on changing this, of course," Miller poked. Chiltowsky played in a 2016 title rematch with Aaron "The Kid" Toner, and he went through Rico Rieck, Louis Buennagel and Matt Vogt to eventually get to Kyle Miller in the title game. "The whole thing was incredible," Chiltowsky said. "I still can't believe I came out on top with that field, especially since leading up to it I was getting demolished in practice hotel games prior and just not playing good." While this year didn’t have a Cinderella like last year in Aaron Toner reaching the finals against Chiltowsky, budding Tecmoers such as Russel Sloan (Neerrm), Isaac Wright (DisastaMasta) and Jim Persins (JimSocks) took progressions in their top-8 placements. "Having Neerrm place third was great for the community," Murray said. "He is such a big part of the online Tecmo scene and retrogaming, that it was fun to seem him take the world’s best to the ropes." Added Murray: "There is always room for the next 'The Kid' (Toner) to knock off Mort and Regulator. Surprises will always happen and are always welcome."
      TAKING A MEMORABLE NOTE
      Those who typically stick around to soak up the entire tournament experience are there for the memories made. And that's no exception for Kyle Miller. "I loved the vibe," Miller said. "While it was a little crowded at first, the outdoor patio area was a great spot for socializing. I did more talking this year to new and old friends than any other." Murray concurred. "All these people who rarely see each other come together and pick right up where they left off and that is awesome," Murray said. "Also seeing new players get welcomed in, watching them make connections and friendships that they'll take with them after the tournament. "Seeing the community embrace the idea of Josh and Chet passing the torch to a new generation running the tournament, yet still agreeing to be a part of it is priceless." Chiltowsky said he wants to continue to be a part of Tecmo Madison. "Even though it causes me so much stress and I get super ill the night before, I'll keep playing, absolutely," Chiltowsky explained. "Because not all stress is bad stress. Plus, I get to spend time with a lot of people I consider good friends." Chiltowsky credits some of those fellow Tecmoers for his success the last two tournaments. "Dave (Murray) is the reason any of my Madison wins are even possible. Without him I wouldn't have made it these last two years," Chiltowsky said. "I owe Dave all the thanks in the world, along with Mort (Francis Buennagel), Lou (Louis Buennagel) and my main key to winning, Hank the Tank (Hank De Wild). "Winning Madison really changed my life and I couldn't have done any of it without the support of the community," Chiltowsky added.
      WHAT'S NEXT FOR TECMO MADISON?
      Tecmo Madison XIII is only the beginning. "We never want to lose sight of the tight-knit origins of the Madison event," Murray said. "But due to the great work of Josh and Chet this is now the de facto world championships. As such we have more and more people wanting to participate, and we will continue to grow responsibly to address that demand. "That growth might be via multiple events across other states, or with growing the overall size of the Madison event," Murray stated. Tecmo Madison has an event lined up in Dallas in August. "If there is Tecmo in Madison, I will come," said Miller, who will be traveling with Chiltowski to a Tecmo Madison satellite tournament in Dallas. "It's a once a year commitment and one hell of a time. "Where else in the world can you drink, socialize and play a video game all day?" Miller added. "I pray for many more strong years to come." While High Noon Saloon allowed tournament organizers to have participants in one room, which was the goal Murray said, it made for some cramped quarters in the first round. "A larger venue is definitely in our future," he said. Seeding and bracketing with nearly 30-percent of players being first-timers also highlighted some challenges. "We are already working to improve bracketing so that the pace of the tournament can speed up," Murray said. "On that same note, with a brand new scorekeeping system we were slowed down slightly, but that was its maiden voyage. Next year, it will work to its full potential with trained scorekeepers." But according to Miller, it's not about the score. "Playing at live Tecmo tournaments never gets old. I love talking to guys about life and Tecmo," Miller said. "Though if Tecmo was an esport, I would have a new full-time job. I'm glad companies like Hyperkin are involved now. Hopefully, they will start sponsoring us players. I would love a Regulator jersey!" On Murray's watch, that's not out of the question.
      Stream Stats
      Twitch
      Twitch stats - taken from SocialBlade.com[/caption] Facebook Live

Originally posted on TecmoMadison.com
    • By red98sethuthut
      What: Buffalo Bounty IV RUN FIGHT @ THE BO K CORRAL
      When: April 23rd 2016 4/23/2016
      Where: The Big Tree Inn 4277 Abbott Rd, Orchard Park, NY 14127 (716) 649-9892
      TIME: 11am kickoff ( 9am set-up/1oam registration )
      MAP LINK (HINT HINT its Right next to the bills stadium): https://search.yahoo.com/local/s;_ylt=A0LEVu9IXphWwUoADwQPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Big+Tree+Inn&addr=Orchard+Park%2CNY&listingid=11709341&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001&fr=yhs-mozilla-003
      ENTRY FEE: $25 ($5 to  goes toward the bonus prize per round, $5 to $10 goes toward your bounty fee). If you are feeling the spirit of the "bounty" style tecmo tournament your more than welcome to put a higher "bounty prize" on yourself or anyone else in the tournament. Hell if you can't make it and you want put a bounty on someone in the tourney then post it son!!!!
      Prize pool for 1st (55%), 2nd(30%) and 3rd(15%). Plus $5 to $10 for every player you knock out of the single elimination round. The champion of the single elimination will receive any bounty money of any player that DID NOT qualify for single elimination tournament after the 6pk round. See format below for details. PLUS $50 bucks for knocking out last years champ David T (Dt) or Louis B. (red98sethuthut)!!! and $25 bucks bonus cash prizes per round ( see the format for details )
      100 dollars to the 1st MAN to  beat "Mort" in tourney play
      100 bucks if you eliminate "Mort"
      100 extra to the winner from Mort"
      FORMAT: The Buffalo Six-Pack ( see below )
      BUFFALO BOUNTY I CHAMP Francis B. (mort1237) Runner up Laztlain (Jason P.) 3rd Louis B. (Red98sethuthut)
      BUFFALO BOUNTY II CHAMP Louis. B. (red98sethuthut) Runner-up Matt V. (BigMV54) 3rd Francis B. (mort1237)
      BUFFALO BOUNTY III CHAMP David T. (DT), Runner-Up Francis B. (mort1237) 3rd Kevin C
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NAME:
      NICKNAME:
      EQUIPMENT: Were in need of more N.E.S systems and tube tv's to handle the format
      HOMETOWN:
      PHONE #:

2nd step. Optional Prepayment. Send $25 to [email protected] via paypal , money order (email 4 my mailing address), or In-person assuming your in buffalo area or see us at another tournament or the night before. We have also had problems with people saying they want to play then no show on game day. Refund Policy: We will give you refund up to 6 days before the tourney starts if we get an official notice that you can't make it .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Game play rules
      1. D.l. line use with no lurching: A D.L. (defensive lineman) lurch is defined as trying to dive tackle or blitz the QB at the snap on a drop back pass or trying to use the same effect to break up a running play. Bumping the tackle is fine (on a up or down or backwards direction). Any other form of DL use is legal. The below video link shows what is illegal.
      2. W.R. or T.E.’s Cannot have run plays in playbook(except 4 reverse). However you may substitute an w.r./t.e. at rb2 slot as long they don't have a running play.players like Givins and Sanders are considered wr's.
      3. Playbook changes/lineup editing each pregame... ( except for round 4 see format )
      4.“One Match-up Once” Rule: The coin-flip winner can only select a particular matchup once throughout the entire tournament. For instance, if Player A wins the toss and selects Packers-Browns, Player A cannot call that exact match-up for the rest of the tournament. Player B, however, is free to select that match-up later in the tournament. This also includes the popular "random match-up cards". SEE EACH ROUND FOR TEAM SELECTION IN THE FORMAT.
      5. TIES: In order to speed things up in Rounds 1 thru 6 if game ends tied it will be a tie in order to save time. HOWEVER IN Single elimination round NO GAME CAN END IN A TIE. IF A game is tied when regulation concludes, competitors will proceed to OT. All OT's will be 5-minute sudden death periods. If nobody scores in the first OT, the second OT will be only the first quarter in a new game. If the game goes to an 2nd O.T. you will alternate who gets the ball first (in the second o.t.). This process will be repeated until a winner emerges. So that one competitor does not start with the ball in every OT period, the receiving team (i.e. team that gets the ball first) shall alternate beginning with the second OT period.

6.. Tournament Issues All issues will be settled by the tournament crew. Headed by Louis Buennagel, david Thompson. (Others will be designated by gameday as seconds for when we are playing.) Report controller issues and any other issues AS SOON AS IT HAPPENS. We will use the warm-up session to test all controllers and equipment so hopefully everything works fine. Game freeze will be settled by playing out part or all of the game depending on circumstance... unless you cause a reset by your physical actions. The final decision is up to the tournament directors or those designated by the directors. All equipment loaned for the tourney will be tracked. You may use your own controller if it is standard but do not move the other controller from that station. Respect all equipment as if it was yours. Excessive misbehavior will result in your elimination from the tourney and all future events. We also will record a D.q. win on case by case situation ( if it happens early in the game it will be recorded as a 14 to 0 d.q. win)
      7. There MAY be 1 live streams on Twitch, twitch.tv/mort1237...Update we need someone to help us stream games!!!
      8. GAMBLING: There's been couple guys who made some side bets last year on H2H pickup games. Money on the wood to make the bet all good. No drama. make your rules clear before the game starts. Max wager is $20. No betting on your own tournament games your playing in. You may wager on live games that your not playing in either (IE MYnameisFlo).
      9. We have the right to change the format if needed.
      1o. Please mark and label all your equipment. So it isn't lost.                              
      11. A forfeit win   will be marked as  A14 to 0 win. Obviously if someone gives up when your up 28 to o then it will be counted as 28+ for margin of victory. The maximum differential of victory for any game is 28pts. IF  you win 35 to 3 it will marked as a 28 pt win for your differential.                        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                 
       FORMAT: THE BUFFALO SIX PACK....Each participant will play 6 random games with no rematches.  In Each round team selection will be based on a different theme ( see below ). Each round will have bonus prizes too. The top 8 to 12 records in the Six rounds will square off in single elimination tournament. There MAY be an "odd" amount of players in the "six pack". If so 1 person per round will receive a bye (can't draw more than 1 bye per person). Also placement into the single elimination round is weighted by "Best Winning Percentage".  In a case of an tie a Head to Head win is the first tiebreaker, then Opponent Winning Percentage , Then Differential ( + - ).

Round 1: Next man up Round...Winner of the Coin toss must pick any matchup they desire. But each coach gets to bench 1 player off there Opponents team. So for example if Rams vs Lions is called. And player 1 is Det and player 2 is rams. Player 1 van elect to bench Jim Everett and Player 2 can elect to  bench Barry Sanders. The player that has the most passing yards with any backup Qb gets $25.                          
      Round 2: Trick Em Dick Em Fumble-Rooskie Round ( Ode to LuckyToolie and Chris Pike)...Winner of the coin toss can pick any matchup they desire but must have an flea-flicker in there playbook. Each coach must run the flea flicker atleast ONCE per game. EDIT: If you do not call the flea flicker its a automatic loss!!!!  1st person to GIVE UP a fumble for td wins $25.    
      Round 3: REDEMPTION... Bills vs Giants...All players must call bills vs giants. Winner of coin toss must pick team ( Buf or Nyg) or controller selection. Bonus Prize: Scott Norwood Redemption Prize: 1st to make a game winning fg with Scott norwood in Ot. wins $25!!!!  ( If no o.t. game then 1st win with a Scott Norwood fg in the 4th Qtr to take  the lead.                      
      Round 4: Original Playbook round. ALL players can pick any matchup but you must use original playbook. Bonus Prize: If anyone wins with the crappy phx cards playbook you win $25. Tiebreaker highest winning margin. Put phx in the matchup at your own risk!!!!!! Note:                                     
      ROUND 5 Random matchup card round. Winner of coin toss must select an  random matchup card. Winner of the coin toss is the Top Team of the card and is Player 1. Each random matchup is a commonly used matchup. Ex. Kc vs Mia is in deck 10 times. Mia is on the top of card 5 times and on the bottom of the card 5 times. Bonus prize: $25 for guy with most rushing yards by a single Rb in this round with any rb.          
      ROUND 6  Madison matchup style round.  See Rule 6. $25 for the guy with most rushing yards by a single Rb in this round with any rb.    

THE PLAY-OFFS
      Alright, after much consultation with Tecmo heads and commune with the Tecmo Gods, a final decision has been made on the playoffs.

There will now be 16 players in the playoffs seeded 1-16. The top seeded player (based on the standings after the six-pack) will have their first choice of team excluding SF, BUF, and NYG. Then the 2 seed on down to 16. You roll with those teams the rest of the way until the Championship which will be a redux of the Redemption Round and Super Bowl XXV, Bills vs Giants. Higher seed will have their choice of team or player 1.

THE FORMAT HAS BEEN DECIDED. SEE YOU BONERS AT BIG TREE.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------     
      PreGame Friday Tecmo festivities location (This will be the location for Friday night festivities.) EDIT: We are moving the Friday Night activities to The Big Tree Inn. We are going to use the time the night before to set up as well, then get some games, some beers, some grub, some bullshit right there. Me and D.t. will be there at 6 pm.  4277 Abbott Rd, Orchard Park, NY 14127

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGISTERED PLAYERS:
      1. Louis B. (Red98sethuthut) Buffalo NY 2 NES SYSTEMS 2 Tv's   ENTRY FEE $25  Bounty Fee $50
      2. David T. (DT) Buffalo NY                                                              ENTRY FEE $25  Bounty Fee $50  1 Nes ( 2 dog-bone trollers)                       
      3. Jason P. (laztlain) LockPort NY.   1 NES SYSTEM 1 Small TV      ENTRY FEE $25  Bounty Fee $10 
      4. Eugene K. West Seneca ny                                                         ENTRY FEE $25  Bounty Fee $5
      5. Chris H. ( NinjaTecmo) Mantua Ohio 2 NES Systems 2 Tv's        ENTRY FEE $25  Bounty Fee $10 
      6. Tim S . Auburn ny                                                                       ENTRY FEE $25  Bounty Fee $5 ( Prepaid via paypal)
      7. Sean F.    Auburn ny                                                                  ENTRY FEE $25  Bounty Fee $5 ( Prepaid via Paypal)
      8. Mark C. auburn ny                                                                     ENTRY FEE $25  Bounty Fee $5
        9. Paul B. Townanda Ny      1 Nes System 1 Tv                                 ENTRY FEE $25  Bounty Fee $5.               
      10. Mark M. Buffalo ny                                                                       Entry fee $25 Bounty Fee $5.                        
      11. John G. Rochester Ny                                                          Entry fee $25 Bounty $5                         ( Prepaid via Paypal)                      
      12. Kevin C. Columbus ohio                                                  Entry fee $25 Bounty fee $10.  4 tv's 4 Nes systems.                                                          
      13.  Tim G. Morgantown Wv 1  Tv 1 Nes cartridge 2 controllers                  Entry fee $25 Bounty fee $5 1 tv 1 nes system.   (  Prepaid via PayPal )
      14.  Jessie G. (Hossrocket) Morgantown Wv                      Entry fee $25  Bounty fee $10 ( Prepaid via PayPal )
      15. Eric O. (Modeezie or TecmoOdell42)    Waterford Michigan                      Entry Fee 25 Bounty fee $10
      16.  Erik M. (ARNCOEM)                              Wallingford, CT                                 Entry Fee 25 Bounty fee $10.                                                
      17. Joe M (Jmoska99) Detroit Mi. Entry fee 25.00 Bounty Fee $10         1 Nes system 1 tv.                                                                  
      18. Francis B. (Mort1237) Chicago IL Entry fee 25.00 Bounty fee $300 ($100 1st man to beat him, $100 to eliminate him, $100 to the winner)       1 Nes system.                                               19. Jaimen A. (Beastmode) London Ontario.   Entry fee 25.00 Bounty fee $10                                                   
      20. Joshua A. (Thedude) London Ontario     Entry fee 25.00 Bounty fee $10 1 Retron Nes 1 tv
      21. Derek R. (TecmoPhyscho) Indy. Indiana Entry fee 25.00 Bounty fee $10 Several Systems , Possibly 2 Small Tv's (Paid via Paypal)
      22. Eugene K. Jr ( Ej) A 16 yr. a old Entry fee $25 Bounty $5  
      23. Gabriel K. Rochester NY Entry fee $25 Bounty Fee $5  1 Nes System.                      
      24. Russell S. (Neerm) Austin Texas Entry fee $25 Bounty fee  $10  Paid
      25. Brian F. Shaggy Elma Ny Entry fee $25 Bounty $5  
      26. Matt O. (Toolie) Entry Fee $25 Bounty fee $10