Ranking teams defense in Tecmo Bowl

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

1 thru 12 here. In the gazzillion games ive played ive found it a premium to stop the dang run, cause thats where the big plays occur, that seem to really break a guys back.

1. NYG....LT/Banks/Marshall. By having the fastest guys at the OLB spots and DE, this creates a defense geared up to kill a run game. switch around enuf and catch em off gaurd.

2. WSH....Manley and Mann give speed from once again the DE positions and Wilbur Marshall at TOLB helps to shut down any run.

3. MIN....I might get some flack here, but Doleman and Browner are absolute beasts that can take away all running with proper playcalling. take away all runs at those 2 and they can easily shut down runs to the bottom. both are also blazers that can get back into coverage nicely.

4. CHI....what about Singletary? Unlike an OLB or a DE, Mike is in a position to be blocked on either run if you dont call it, so hence forth makes him vulnerable to big runs. Although if your pretty good at diving he can be a huge force though. However my time in the trenches teaches me to play it safe and grind it out on D. Dent and Duerson pick up the slack nicely and McMicheal is a good option vs slow rb's as well.

5. CLE....the 2 DB's make you stop the run very nicely.

6. SF....Lott is a bad man and control the whole half of the field. carter is awesome but gets caught in blocking schemes too much. still you can dominate with these 2.

7. DEN....Jones is a failsafe, and mecklenburg is very good, and capable of making some huge diving tackles if you decide to play the middle.

8. IND....Bickett aint LT but he creates a solid option.

9.SEA....Fredd Young at TMLB is not a position i like to use much, but he's so dang fast he can demoralize most rushing attacks if he ca string together a couple diving tackles.

10. LA....Howie Long gets LA the nod as he comes from the DE spot and does his part to nuetralize the bottom half.

11. MIA....no viable options at either DE, OLB or DB's is tough, but Offerdahl makes for a decent guy, yet susceptible to getting run on though.

12. DAL....no D to speak of.....Jeffcoat is decent, but not really a game breaker.

I think Seattle is better than Denver, if due to Fredd Young alone.

Hanford Dixon is the Bob Nelson of the original Tecmo Bowl. Can we get someone who has hacked the rom to post the top FS's, CB's, LB's and DL's according to speed or something? I've always though Hanford Dixon was the Wayne Haddix of the original Tecmo Bowl. I used to be pretty up to speed on the rosters so when I'd be Chicago I'd know to be Duerson, Denver I'd know to be Mecklenberg, but when it came to Cleveland I was just Clay Matthews or a Johnson. Maybe Minnefield. Then one day I just happened upon Hanford and nearly crapped my pants. Hanford Dixon is the Keith Millard of original Tecmo Bowl.

yeah dixon is a beast. lott and LT have a 18 speed according to the rom ratings, and Dixon is prolly a 16 or 17. id have to check around in some paper work to find the actual number, but hes up just under the elite defenders.

The SEA/DEN debate is a good one, but to me you can use Rulon Jones to cut the field in half and hes got decent speed. SEA doesnt have that type of player besides Young. I'll take the 1-2 punch of DEN overall, but to me the difference is very, very marginal.

Tecmo Bowl's defenses really come down to the human factor when you play since there's only the four plays and pretty much every man gets covered regardless of play selection. I mean, come on - there's only nine guys. So that one guy you select on defense IS your defense.

But my breakdown:

1 - Bears. Wow. It's like, multiple choice when choosing a defender - they're all fast.

2 - Giants. How can you stop Satan? (My playing buddies dubbed LT Satan at his style of play)

3 - 49ers. Another one man defense - you are NOT gonna escape Ronnie Lott.

4 - Redskins. Perhaps the last (and only second) multiple choice defense in the game.

5 - Browns. Notice the trend? Diddy, it's almost impossible to believe you didn't discover Dixon sooner.

6 - Raiders. Yeah, so we know the lurch. But if you didn't know Bill "the" Pickel was the FIRST lurcher you've missed out on a finer point of TB.

7 - Colts. Bickett is quite possibly second only to LT in the speed department.

8 - Dolphins. Offerdahl used to carry this team. But sometimes the backfield could be quick.

9 - Vikings. Browner is the poor mans' (read: Vikings) Ronnie Lott. Of course his skills scale to his respective team.

10 - Seahawks. Fredddddd Young. Just how many D's does he have?

11 - Broncos. Hard to believe, but Mecklenburg was fast - just not as fast as a couple of guys listed above.

12 - Cowboys. Who the hell are these guys????

Isn't Eugene "I mistake cops for hookers the night before the Super Bowl" Robinson pretty decent? Or Kenny Easley or someone? I remember when I'd need a little variety someone in the Seattle secondary was decent.

Actually, Eugene Robinson is on the Colts in that game come to think of it, and I don't know who is on the Seahawks.... Easley and.... and.... is it another Robinson? Rumeal Robinson? No wait, he played on a different Seattle sports team...

• 3 months later...

http://www.geocities.com/cpa68/ratings.html

Link breaks down all player abilities. below tells in detail what each attribute stands for/how it works.

Max - (Maximum/Top Speed) This is simply the player's maximum running speed. The higher the rating the faster. Bo Jackson has the highest max rating out of the offense players with 11. The highest for a defensive player is 18, with six players tied at that mark.

Initial - (Starting Speed) This is how fast a player will run before they reach top speeed. The higher the better, as players with high ratings are more able to cut and juke without slowing down. Most players have 0 or 1 in this catergory. The better running backs and kick returners have a 4, while the best defenders (Taylor and Lott) have a 3.

Accel - (Acceleration) This determines how quickly a player will reach his maximum speed. For this catergory the lower the rating the better. Almost every offensive player in the game has a 3 rating, while defenders are usually 8 or 9, with the star defenders getting a 7.

Power - This determines the player's ability to make popcorn and break or make tackles. The higher the better. Kevin Mack is the most powerful offensive player with an 88 rating. Lawrence Taylor has the highest rating for a defensive player with 86.

Arm - You won't find the arm catergory on the Tecmo Bowl rom manager. I created this catergory by simply taking the average special rating for each team's receivers. For example Miami's wide receivers both have a 14 special rating, their tight end has a 14 rating and their running back has a 14 rating. Add it together to get 56, divide by the 4 receivers, and it averages to, surprisingly, a 14 rating. This represents the average throwing speed for the quarterback. The higher the better. Marino is the highest with 14, Trudeau the lowest with 8.75.

Special - For offensive players this rating determines how quickly the quarterback will throw the ball to that plyer. All wide receivers on the same team usually have the same special rating, so the rating is determined by the quarterback.

What this catergory does for quarterbacks is a mystery. Only John Elway has a different rating then the rest.

For kickers and punters this determines how far they can kick/punt the ball. The higher the better. Dean Biasucci and Kevin Butler have the best rating for kickers with 10, while Sean Landeta has the best rating for punters with a 14.

• 8 months later...

1 - Bears. Singletary, Duerson, McMichael. All great options. But Singletaries Position in the middle of field makes him the best defensive player in the game.

2 - Giants. Solid Defense all around, highlighted by Banks and LT The reason I put the Bears ahead of them was because of Singletaries positioning.

3 - 49ers. Lott is an absolute beast, but I've always prefered Michael Carter for some reason. You can go Run Stopper, Pass Stopper, but it doesn't really matter

4 - Seahawks. I think you guys are horribly underrating them. Sure we all like options, but this game is about controlling one good defender, and when he is in inside linebacker, you don't need options. He's the poor mans Mike Singletary.

5 - Browns. Best all around secondary, and how didn't you notice Hanford Dixon? Even before people started hacking the roms I just went by the ingame stats.

6 - Vikings. Browner is the best option here

7 - Broncos. Mechlenburg is decent, and he has a good position

8 - Redskins. I've never like this team. Alot of options, but they are all average at best

9 - Raiders. Howie Long is passable but slow.

10 - Dolphins. Offerdahl is ok, but his positioning is good, so he will find himself in the way of the play alot

11 - Colts. Bickett has alot of ground to cover from that position and he's not quite fast enough to do it.

12 - Cowboys. Complete Garbarge. They have nothing. Some teams have 7 guys better than anyone on Dallas. I would kill for a Leonard Marshall or Steve McMichael who just don't get used because there are better options.

1. New York. And it's not even close.

2. Washington. 143 kinds of doom.

3. Chicago. Stacked, but no DEs.

4. San Fran

5. Minnesota

6. Cleveland

7. Denver. Jones at RE makes them better then SEA. Even if Young > Mecklenburg

8. Seattle

9. Indy

10. Los Angeles

11. Miami

12. Dallas

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Bumpst. i was fucking around in the garage at work and wrote up my top 12 today in order. and surprisingly so when i got home and checked this thread i see they were the exact same order exept for today i had DAL and MIA flip flopped. Ed Too Tall Jones is fairly serviceable from that Top DE spot. and since offerdahl is kinda marginal from a position that gets blocked on runs i went with DAL ahead of em.

Bo Knows surprises me cause he had IND so low in the mix. Bickett gets torched on quick passes to the top, but other than that, hes alright.