My rankings of all 28 teams

icypots

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO...this is the best possible test of Tecmo skill because it forces you to play with a wide variety of talent level and different plays.

What skill is needed to tackle a QB when he's rolling out?

What skill is needed to tackle rb on a fake reverse or on a reverse before he can get the ball off?

What skill is needed to tackle the QB before he gets the ball on a flea flicker?

None.

When you join TPC let me know. 8)

<3 u fro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i made fro into a jedi knight; he was even more adamant about original playbooks than you icypots!

Thanks for the reply...ok, lets debate a little.

On your rankings of Chicago and Philly: Yes, these teams have weaknesses. Chicago has a poor passing game, and Philly has a poor pass defense. However, imo these teams have absolutely dominating facets of their games- and that is very important in head-to-head play. Philly with QB Eagles and the Bears with their rushing attack...both are nearly unstoppable imo. And then they both have above average defenses as well.

I agree that both of these teams are very good. I just think that teams like San Fransisco, Raiders and Houston are better. It is true that Chicago has a great defense, possibly the 2nd best in the game. However, their passing game is the worst in the game and that drops them. It is hard to have an effective offense if you aren't a 2 way threat. I don't know what you're talking about when you say Philly has an above average defense. Besides Reggie White their defense is basically worthless. As I remember they do have an above average linebacker but he's in the worst position. Philly's rushing game is also extremely pathetic. Of course you can scramble effectively with QB Eagles but Keith Byars and Heath Sherman are the worst running duo in the game.

Buffalo- I realize this team has good players, but for some reason, I never play well with them nor is it hard for me to defeat them easily. Maybe its that I don't like having to use a d-lineman, so I don't have a great defensive player to use. I'm also not a huge fan of their playbook, although it certainly isn't the worst in the game.

They have the best offense in the game. They have the best lineman in the game who dominates without you controlling him and Cornelius Bennet. They also have great speed on special teams. What the fuck more do you want?

If you don't like the playbook, change it...it isn't that hard.

Washington- No way that they can be so high with that playbook that lets your opponent narrow down what play you're going to run by a huge margin before the snap.

Once again your playbook comment is absolutely ridiculous. Default playbooks mean absolutely nothing.

NE- not that bad at all imo. Fryar catches a lot, they have a good playbook, and their defense is average imo.

they have an average defense but they have the 2nd or 3rd worst offense in the game. Good luck scoring on any team besides Cleveland and Indianapolis with that pathetic running game. I can run faster than John Stephen with my pants around my ankles.

Pittsburgh- one of the best team defenses in the game(although they have no speedy stars)...no way they should be that low.

the only thing saving this team from the bottom is their defense and special teams. They have the worst offense in the game. Bubby Brister has a 50% chance of bombing the ball 30 yards out of bounds and their running game is awful. Their defense can keep them in games but in the end it usually won't save them. I beat J-Diddy in the superbowl as Dallas and he was Pittsburgh. He played awesome D but in the end I was able to drive the ball and score on him, winning 10-7.

The only reason why I lost this game was that I was inside his 10 yard line 4 times and thought I could score 7 each time. I ended up with only 1 touchdown, while Slig converted both times he was in my red zone. Pittsburgh is better than Dallas in my opinion.

And seriously, how can anyone say that Indy is not the worst? They are terrible!

And also, how can this kid have Buffallo in the second tier? Kelly, Reed, Thomas, Bennet, Smith... come on!

scoring with BUF is as given as scoring with PHI every drive... it's gonna happen with an 81 pc qb, 63ms rb, a great OL, and a great WR.

sure, i could single-handedly kill everyone online if i were to get QB Eagles in HSTL; but some people just aren't good at scrambling and getting off called plays.

on the other hand, i could also kill everyone with the bills insane offense (as witnessed when i inherited qb bills + 56ms rb the previous season when i came in as a replacement owner).

the original rom is all about offense, since INT is so low on average, and the difference between fast defenders and average ones is so big. here are my rankings:

Tier 1: Far and away the best - I could smoke anyone with either squad

- Niners

- Oilers

Tier 2:

- Bills

- Giants

- Eagles

Tier 3:

- Dolphins

- Bengals

- Chiefs

- Raiders

- Bears

Tier 4:

- Broncos

- Chargers

- Lions

- Bucs

- Vikings

Tier 5:

- Redskins

- Rams

- Falcons

- Cowboys

Tier 6:

- Jets

- Steelers

- Cardinals

- Saints

Tier 7:

- Browns

- Seahawks

- Packers

Tier 8:

- Colts

- Patriots

Take any game between evenly skilled opponents, and make them use teams within the same tier... you will definitely have lots of fun and a very close game.

This list comes from my ridiculous amounts of experience playing this game freshman semester of college.

Another thing is that you may think your good, but if you were to play someone who change around the playbook to fit a team, they'd probably light you up. You must know how to play defense against less predictable plays.

See, I've always found it to be quite the opposite...

I've found tons of people who are great when they play with a great team and their 8 favorite plays. But when you ask them to actually play with a less than stellar playbook, it turns out that they really aren't that good of a player after all. Bottom line: Any bum can learn how to play using only the 8 best plays in the game- It takes a real great player to be good with a poor playbook. JMHO.

That may be true, but I'm not talking about some bum who downloaded some emulator somewhere. If there was some No Holds Barred Tecmo Tourney, your default playbook guy is going to be in big trouble. Even if his opponent has about the same Tecmo time as him.

You are right about some of the bums though. I guess the point each of us is making is that people who have some self imposed limitations on their skills are likely to be delt with by someone, somewhere.

Icypots:

I've you've been there and done that with the other plays and are sharing a way that you've kept the game fun, then I don't mean to suggest your Tecmo skills aren't good. I think your tourney idea is cool, and I'm glad you mentioned it. I'll get to the ranking some other time. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

There is some skill with certain playbooks. But some playbooks, like Denver's playbook, are basically useless. I can snuff out most of those plays with very little effort - you would have no offensive game whatsoever. As fun as 0-0 defensive battles are, there is no hope for some teams with default playbooks. What is more interesting, is to draw up a chunk of solid playbooks, and then flip coins as to which one you get. That avoids the dud plays like the WTEs.

As far as Philly being low and the Giants being high...listen, I can play against players a tier or two below my skill level, and hardly score anything using Philly, if I am facing the Giants late in the season. My last game was a 7-0 nailbiter in that matchup. The reason is simple: Philly has two guys (QB Eagles and Keith Jackson), the other team has 11 defenders. You are running for your life with QB Eagles on every play, you have to make perfect decisions because your receivers have no speed to separate,and not enough hands to avoid interceptions. Keith Jackson can go long, or he can give you the hope of a running game. The Eagles play with a stunted offense, either a gimpy receiving game or a pathetic running game, and you can't cover that up against a great defensive team.

Not to mention, their defense has holes in the passing game, and, the last 5 times I've gone against QB Eagles, I've forced him to turn it over at least 12 times.

What is with the lack of respect for Detroit? In any listing of the best teams with default playbooks, they have to be at least in the top tier.

1) They have Barry Sanders and Mel Gray

2) They have good rushing QBs that can compensate for a couple iffy pass plays

3) They have R&S Sweep R, and both R&S sweeps to the top, as well as some solid pass plays out of the R&S

And the original rom is a about very large scales from 25pc all the way to 81 pc. I'm assuming no wierd substitutions like a hou wr at rb.

Tier 1

-Niners Offense Montana to Jerry +jones and taylor for good measure. 50ms back. Two dominating safeties plus haley. GG

Tier 1b

-Oilers More good Wr's in the passing offense but hard to say if its really more effective than SF. 19bc for White is an issue. Only one good DB instead of two. Game between SF and HOU still would be very even.

Tier 1c

- Bills -lack of DB stopper takes this team down a notch Best all around offense with 63ms rb and 81pc qb

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tier 2

- Giants lacking uber pc qb and high rec WR's. No great INT DB

- Eagles QB eagles is the offense. Pass Defense is extremely suspect.

You really have to know how to use a mobile qb otherwise I'd drop this team down to tier 3.

- Bears Best pass and overall D in the game. Close to the worst pass offense. GReat run offense

- Lions Fast QB and 69 ms Sanders RB. 69 and 75 rec Wr's. Two usabel defenders in White and Cofer

Tier 3

- Bengals 56pc qb. weak rec wr's. Fulcher IS the defense.

- Raiders Mucho speed on offense. Very low pc for schroedy. no controllable lb's. Db's have veyr low int though fast

-Chiefs Above average O. Below average D other than Thomas. Weak db's

- Dolphins Weak running game. Slow qb. lack of high int db weak

Tier 4

-Vikings 44pc qb and 44ms RB. Speedy WR's. Great defense 63ms 69int browner and fast lb

- Broncos 69ps 31pc 25ms qb, 63ms rb, Poor int db's good lb's

- Chargers 81 ps 31pc 13ms qb 63ms rb good int db's lb's

-Bucs 56pc 31ms qb, 50ms rb slow WR's. haddix =entire defense

-Steelers Ranks with Ne as one of worst O's in the game. Fast and good int defense with woodson and two good lb's. Special teams wonder

Tier 5

- Redskins Good offense with 44pc qb, 50ms rb, and 75 and 69rec WR's.

Mayhew 69int and green 75ms lead otherwise lackluster defense

- Rams Opposite of Steelers Great offense 50ms RB 63pc qb, 81 75 rec WR's with great speed. Defense is at indy levels exept for Green at bottom lb

- Jets 50 pc qb 44ms rb's 69recWR. Star lb and DB in byrd and mcmillan

-Cardinals 19ms 44pc qb, 50ms rb, decent wr's, 2 db stars in mcdonald and Lonnie young. Harvey pretty good at lb1.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Tier 6

- Falcons 44pcqb 50 ms rbto 75rec Rison. Defense = deion sanders +shitballs.

- Cowboys 44pc qb 56ms rb. Fast low int Db's

- Saints 44 pc qb, 50 ms rb and 69 rec wr make for usable offense. Db's are gay with a couple decent lb's

- Browns Kosar 25ms and 75pc take you far. Putrid run game with 38ms backs. Mike Johnson and minnifield barely usabel defenders on craptacular D's

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Tier 7

- Seahawks Defense near colt levels other than DL Green. Putrid running game. Kreig moonballs are your offense

- Packers Majik + sharpe makes for a decent offense. Harris or nelson only usable defenders. Otherwise defense comparable to colts.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Tier 8

- Patriots Worst offense. A few playmakers on defense. I'd take them slightly above the colts due to having the better defenders

- Colts Below average offense. Good WR's and 44ms back make it useable. Defense god awful. don't expect to stop hardly anyone.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

teamrankings0321066qh.png

-1.00 SF

-0.73 HOU

-0.72 GIA

-0.51 PHI

-0.50 BUF

-0.41 CIN

-0.37 RAI

-0.35 CHI

-0.33 MI

-0.32 DET

-0.26 MIN

-0.21 SD

-0.21 KC

-0.19 RAM

-0.09 DAL

-0.04 DEN

-0.03 PIT

0.02 TB

0.09 NYJ

0.09 WAS

0.22 PHX

0.33 ATL

0.41 CLE

0.43 NO

0.49 GB

0.55 NE

0.74 SEA

1.00 IND

I still think NYG have to be considered either the 2nd or at the very very least, 3rd best team on the game. They could definitely be 1st but anything lower than 2nd I don't see how that's possible. :P

This team simply has too many intangibles to be ruled out as a top 2 team. If I had a 4th and 34 and have the ball against a human opponent, I'd take it with the Giants. Oh and I did convert on a 4th and 34 ON A BLITZ against a human opponent who was decent. Hence Giants are number 1 in my book.

I think this game was made after the giants won the super bowl in 1990. Just have this feeling that the makers of the game designed it to give them an edge which doesn't appear on the stat sheets -- which is exactly what the Giants were like in real life too

"This is internment camp 471. There is no way out, no escape....

except d****" - Ikathika, Star Trek DS9

The Giants are about the 3rd best team in the game.

I submit, sir, that it is YOU!!!...who is at fault here. I question your choices. I question your honor sir!

Just kidding :P

But seriously, the Giants are definitely either 1st or 2nd...number 3 is possible but I didn't become the best by picking substandard teams!

there are negative numbers and some go past 99 too, if you want to use them go ahead.

when i put out a 1-99 rating i am putting it on the line, im making my rating stick out in bright red. If something is off a little- it will show big time. now if i rated things 44-69 a sore thumb might not stick out. Ya see i like criticizm, it corrects mistakes. And if there are mistakes in my ratings i would like to know becuase i want to get this down really bad.

And dont tell me "a formula can never be exact with these ratings", i think thats bull crap. If the thoughts going through your head to rate a team are based off player attributes and the way the game uses those attributes(NUMBERS), then i can make a formula to be more exact than your thoughts.

and your next argument will be; some teams are better against other teams, or ; some players dont know how to use certain teams to their potential. yada yada yada. my answer, which souldnt even have to be given, is that my ratings werent meant to rate the player using the team. And do you see a section in which i rate how a team will play against any in particular team? no. (maybe later). Lastly, these ratings are to make an overall rating 1-99 to help people understand the advantages of each team with Human vs Human play, not Cpu or coach mode. Thats why each teams best Defensive back is worth a good amount and each teams best LB is worth less, and DL is barely worth a point or 2 on the overall. its not designed for personal use of DL in game play...

I've never had a game where "that Oilers defense" is shutting me down. I have had games where "******* Dick Package" is shutting me down, but that doesn't last long. The Oilers are much more vulnerable defensively than either NYG or SF, a lot of teams that have no chance to win against the latter two can hang around long enough to beat the Oilers. Plus, against a great defensive run-stopping player (DAVID FULCHER, LT, Rod Woodson, etc.), their running game is surprisingly suspect. The Oilers definitely have the better of NYG against mid-level defensive squads with one-dimensional offenses, but both teams are far superior to those clubs anyway. If I take an elite team against the Oilers though, the matchup of my offense against their defense is going to triumph over their offense and my defense. Especially since my defense can't get hurt and my offense can.

The Giants secondary has a real problem creating turnovers with the lack of INT power. Walls is about the only guy worth a shit. They can be jjed on pretty well with a decent qb.

Richard Johnson and Childress provide a more than adequate defense. The niners is better due to the better DL and two star dB's instead of one but not enormously.

The Giants secondary has a real problem creating turnovers with the lack of INT power. Walls is about the only guy worth a . They can be jjed on pretty well with a decent qb.

Richard Johnson and Childress provide a more than adequate defense. The niners is better due to the better DL and two star dB's instead of one but not enormously.

Lawrence Taylor is the X-FACTOR my good chap. Plus have u noticed that Walls would often have 5 or 7 picks when controlled by computer?

Thing with the giants D is that X-ZONE. X-FACTOR comes into play because EX-PLOSIVENESS need not be determinded by many opposed to one. look at it this way: Giants D' players ' are not spectacular, most of them. But they're solid. Add LT and you have a D that's good enough to win.

On offense, Touchdown Stephen Maker Baker will be as good a Shake em Taker as the best. Add Ingram and Ottis Anderson and you have great firepower. If i remember rightly weren't Baker and Ingram just a bit above average WR's? It call comes down to intangibles my friends.

Even in the regular season I used to go 13-3 or 12-4 with giants often to storm the opposition in the playoffs. I used to go 16-0 with San Fran and playoffs would be as tough as with the Giants.

Regular season: 1 thing

Playoffs: Next LEVEL

Take it to the next level. I will help you get there.

Only if the guys have enough hitting power to break through the line. This really hurts runs up the middle though it can be navigated with a qb on a pass.

so , brud how much does a DL make a defense better? i recall you saying it was next to nil