TSB 2006

QBSHARKS

I dont mind Green being ranked higher but the guy who made the rom needs to explain a little.

He said Favre got a 44pc because he throws a lot of interceptions, but how does Green get a 63pc even though he has the same amount of interceptions. They should have the same pc then if thats how you're going to do it.

We may be on to something...

Why don't we create a thread where TSBers edit a rom thru the community that we all can agree on?

Just have the original rom this guy made, put each team in text format, and justhave people review it and add their two cents as to why it should be changed and the facts/opinions to go along with it.

I mean, we're basically doing that anyway, so...

and yes, I already know Marcules among others will want Woodson's numbers lower. I'll deal.

i wouldnt use my ratings. i know alot of them are off mostly the quarterbacks. i said that already. I put the rom on here because no else had one up for the 2006 season. I didnt really take my time on the ratings so I Know there kinda messed up. Im in the middle of fixing the ratings now. I just put it on here so u guys could have something to go off of. if u wanted to make a rom. the depth charts are pretty good.(even though its june 1st) so there will be alot of changes. the schedules are good too. Im working on making the ratings better now just give me some time it will be a good rom.

stats are absolutely the only way that you can accurately rate a rom, otherwise personal bias comes into play.

for example, if i did not stick by stats strictly, i would make daunte culpepper suck because he does.

id make favre and ahman green totally awesome, and id give julius jones high ms.

STATS STATS STATS.

if you rely on your "knowledge" of the game, you're not rating an accurate rom.

another necessary measure for rating defenses is team defensive stats... this is why the steelers secondary should be good.

i really dont get how the steelers secondary is so bad - troy polamalu!!!!!! this guy was a fucking wrecking crew. the steelers had one of the best defenses in the NFL, and it wasn't because of their LBs (entirely).

based on team defensive stats, i rate champ bailey like this:

RS: 38

RP: 44

MS: 63

HP: 56

INT: 56

Tory james like this:

RS: 31

RP: 38

MS: 56

HP: 44

INT: 75

Rodney Harrison:

RP: 50

MS: 69

HP: 81

INT: 50

• 3 weeks later...
stats are absolutely the only way that you can accurately rate a rom, otherwise personal bias comes into play.

for example, if i did not stick by stats strictly, i would make daunte culpepper suck because he does.

id make favre and ahman green totally awesome, and id give julius jones high ms.

STATS STATS STATS.

if you rely on your "knowledge" of the game, you're not rating an accurate rom.

another necessary measure for rating defenses is team defensive stats... this is why the steelers secondary should be good.

i really dont get how the steelers secondary is so bad - troy polamalu!!!!!! this guy was a fucking wrecking crew. the steelers had one of the best defenses in the NFL, and it wasn't because of their LBs (entirely).

based on team defensive stats, i rate champ bailey like this:

RP: 44

MS: 63

HP: 56

INT: 56

Tory james like this:

RS: 31

RP: 38

MS: 56

HP: 44

INT: 75

Rodney Harrison:

RP: 50

MS: 69

HP: 81

INT: 50

Wonder if you could help me. I want to rate my own players/teams for TSB but need a bit more information on the ratings. How do you relate team/player stats into game ratings. Is there a how to guide available anywhere??

Any help would be appreciated.

Have a great day!

:)

Rick

ohcanada

That's a good idea... making a how-to ratings guide.

I'll be releasing my "official" NFL 2005 rom soon - within the next week, and ill include with it all of my spreadsheets full of stats, rankings, averages, subratings, ratings, so on (in excel - excel is the most useful rom rater's program out there if you're using stats). I guess I'll be nice and include a key to all the madness and a couple readme files (one for the actual rom and gameplay, one for the spreadsheets).

Well, to answer your question without a hard example right now (my rom)...

What I do is go to http://www.quickstats.com or anywhere you can find that has complete individual offensive and defensive stats - you can even go to NFL.com/stats for the most up-to-date stats during the season.

quickstats files come in delimited .txt files which i open with excel and save as worksheets. then i make power rankings of significant stats and averages of those power rankings for tecmo ability rankings.

a quick example:

i base RB ms off of yards per carry, total yards, and touchdown percent (receiving and rushing).

QB PC is based on completion %, TD to INT ratio.

INT is based solely on #ints.

defensive HP and speed is a mix of individual stats as well as team defensive stats (since defense is more based on teamwork than individual ability).

hopefully you get the basic idea.

Well that's outstanding news and I look forward to it's release. I'm very comfortable with excel and have been playing/designing sports board games for about 25 years. I should have no problems understanding your methods or formulas.

Thanks for the reply and for sharing this with everyone!

:)

Rick

ohcanada

• 2 weeks later...

I like a lot of what you've got here MattJones. Have you worked on it anymore since this posting?

High Points include:

1. Nice job on the helmets.

2. What I believe to be appropriate HP for many of the FBs, DLs, etc.

3. Trying to make sure each teams 1st-round draft pick(s) is represented.

There are a few things which could be fixed:

1. Several players are going to appear incongruant to their real-life appearence due to pics and skin tone.

2. It was nice in the original that not every receiver had at least a 50 REC; every QB at least a 50 PS,PC,PA; etc.etc. The stand-outs stood out more.

3. Perhaps you live in the southeast (as do I), and thus made some of your personal favorite rookies superior, but some players, such as Matt Jones, are not going to be what you have listed (63 REC?). Pull back a bit on personal favortism for the next release.

4. Naturally, roster changes are still underway throughout the off-season. Ricky Williams is almost assuredly returning to the Dolphins. Kellen Winslow will not be playing this year. Several other Free Agents are still looking for homes (i.e. Peter Boulware). Just keep plugging any new info you discover into your ROM until preseason starts.

I'm working on a version for TSB2k6 as well, but can't do helmets at all yet.

Overall I give the Rom a 3 star rating, with a 5 star rating for the helmets. Bravo Matt for the hard work, and please do upgrade and repost for us.

Hope to hear/see from ya soon.

CADILLAC, CADILLAC, CADILLAC STYLE!!!

well im glad you liked the rom. yeah ive been working on fixing alot of stuff. im fixing all the ratings of the players. Ive also put in the chargers took out the browns, put the lions back in and took out the bears. im almost done with all the ratings, im on linebackers right now. When im done i will put the updated rom on.

Hey Matt. Glad you check these boards frequently, and glad you got my reply. I look forward to seeing your updated TSB 2006. Im especially glad you decided to put Detroit back in. Ever since the first days of Barry, they have been my favorite NFC team, and with the offense they're building they might be formidable this year.

If you find you have a few extra minutes of time and can write up an instruction page for the Helmet Editor that would be extremely appreciated, by many, many people Im sure. Did you use the 1.0, or anotherone you found somewhere. Also, I've been able to locate the team uniform color codes, but can't seem to get my ROM to load into the TSBM 1.3... any ideas or advice?

Lastly, just to get talking about the upcoming season, what are your personal projections for winners of each division, conference, superbowl. I'll post mine in response, or email them to you if you prefer.

And one more thing... which team do you follow most in the NCAA? Mine is Auburn, I'm guessing yours is Arkansas.

CADILLAC, CADILLAC, CADILLAC STYLE!!! (Make sure you fix Cadillac's name too...either to Carnell or Cadillac with 2 'l's).

;-)

yeah my updated rom is going to be the best on the market. Im almost done with all of the ratings I just have to go back and fix the dbs. Ive been working on it for a while. This was my first rom that I have made so i had to get the hang off it. I used the helmet editor on this site and tile layer pro to do the helmets. Some of the helmets I had to draw a few of the tiles. If you search the boards you will find out how to switch the colors of the helmets and the logos. Im not to good at explaining things. I think pats,ravens,jags,chargers in the afc. nfc eagles,vikings,panthers,rams. Im a jags fan not an arkansas fan. I follow the gators. I watch all of the florida teams though. Im from south florida.

This seems to be more realistic and not just stat-based which most people stand by stubbornly. Those guys need to see there is more to the game of football other than stats---otherwise Terrell Buckley would be one of the best DBs in the game. Though come to think about it, Tory James's INT is pretty high, and that's gotta be only becuz of last year.

hahaha i just read this post.

last time i checked, terrell buckley didn't play in the NFL?

there is absolutely no way you can judge talent unless you use numbers. none of us here are NFL scouts or have the scout team available to our uses like Madden raters.

yeah man, charles woodson on one of the worst defenses in league should be a stud ;-). he hasn't done shit in the past 2 years, and his team hasn't done anything either. his ratings should reflect that.

im fixing all the ratings i just put the first rom up so people would have something to go off of. Im doing ratings close to the original ratings. im rating them by looking at last seasons stats, and several different scouting magazines. I look at how each magazine has them rated then do an average. some ratings come from personal opinion. im going to make sure when im done that i check the overall team ratings and make sure the teams are rated overall correctly. I should be done with it all within the week.