Tecmo Bowl's Miami Dolphins

hamburgler2682

It takes a real pro to beat this team in head to head matchups. Marino has got Duper on the slant in the shotgun and Hardy cutting across the middle on PASS 2, both of these patterns are darn near impossible to stop even when the play is picked. Althought their defense is weak and their running game is crap, I would have to say that Miami is one of the tougher teams come 2 player time.

• 4 months later...

I disagree, they have the single worst running play in the game, and the reason that hurts them is you don't have to try and stop it. You can choose to blitz any of the other plays leaving your opponent just 2 plays to call, and since one of them is a shotgun it takes the surprise out of it, and if your using Miami you have to score, since their defense it so terrible. Their unstoppable plays don't work 100% of the time either.

Once you learn how to pass, which seems to be hard for alot of people for some reason. The 49ers are easily the best team. The have the best QB and WR in the game in Montana and Rice, and they have 3 pass plays to take advantage. They also have the best unstoppable play. Most unstoppable plays go for 3-5 yards, the 49ers goes at least 10. On the defensive side Ronnie Lott is the best defensive back in the game. And as far as Regular players only Mike Singletary and Lawerence Taylor are better than Michael Carter. Chicago is also a good team thanks to Payton's running, and Singletary on Defense. Technically Bo Jackson has better stats, but he only has one play, while Payton has 2, and a pass route.

Once you learn how to pass, which seems to be hard for alot of people for some reason. The 49ers are easily the best team. The have the best QB and WR in the game in Montana and Rice, and they have 3 pass plays to take advantage. They also have the best unstoppable play. Most unstoppable plays go for 3-5 yards, the 49ers goes at least 10. On the defensive side Ronnie Lott is the best defensive back in the game. And as far as Regular players only Mike Singletary and Lawerence Taylor are better than Michael Carter. Chicago is also a good team thanks to Payton's running, and Singletary on Defense. Technically Bo Jackson has better stats, but he only has one play, while Payton has 2, and a pass route.

Don't forget Dennis Gentry on Special Teams. On the Gameboy version, if given enough time, Rice will outrun his coverage on go routes.

Back in the old old days ('92 :mrgreen: ), we played a monstrous schedule consisting of every team against each other in a best-of-seven series. This was before any of us had even acquired TSB, so it was the only thing to do. I say monstrous because a lot of these series went for all 7 games. As the 'season' progressed, we got TSB and grew anxious to play it, so we cut the series down to best-of-five. This, we've discovered, has proved absolutely nothing in the grand scheme as we never traded teams thus never found proper results. But what i'm trying to get at is during our 12 series season, whether through fault of youth or playing style, the Dolphins went 0-11 series record and 10-25 total game record. They didn't win a single series. Chicago on the other hand, won every series, and had a 23-8 game record. Chicago could win based solely on Pass 2, if need be. Cap Boso will catch the ball, no matter the circumstance because he can't be covered. And we ran the play to perfection. The Raiders' Pass 2 was similar, but never seemed to be too much of a factor since Bo was present. Dennis Gentry definitely helped (we found him to be the 2nd best KR/PR in the league to Tim Brown), but Chicago also had that D. I mean, take your pick they're all fast it seems! Result: the Bears were THE TEAM.

Granted, this was a (now recognized) archaic way of determining team capabilities, but it seemed a good measuring stick at the time.

Gentry is definately better than Tim Brown. Just get the ball and run straight ahead, and watch how fast he catches up to the guys in front of him. The Cap Boso play you are referring to is the unstoppable play I mentioned earlier, and the 49ers run it much better. Choose play 3 (the shotgun) let them blitz, wait for craig to make his cut, and then through it. It's guaranteed for at least 10 yards, or more if he breaks the tackle. Bo Jackson is a non factor in man vs man games, because he only has one run, and he can not catch the ball. I'm really surprised Miami did so poorly in the your vs games. Dallas is by far the worst team in the game. Their best defensive player has 2 sacks. All they really have going for them is Herschel Walker. Miami is the worst running team though, do you guys have trouble passing?

Actually, yes. I believe we spent most of our time picking the pass plays in lieu of defensive players stopping the runs by themselves. More so with the Dolphins since the running game is a non-factor there. A certain degree of psychic ability was also afoot (though denied by both sides), but then again i suppose that's understandable with only 4 plays to choose from (really 3 with the Fins, you know they won't run).

As far as using those slants go, we tried with the other teams that have slants in their pass routes, but could never get the others to connect as good the Bears. The blitz would either seem too fast or the MAN opponent would just be there. There just never seemed to be time to throw.

Yeah, Dallas was bad. But even they beat the Fins. Seattle sucked too. Cleveland turned in the second best performance with the Giants not far behind.

Now we ended up doing a series of 'non-games' as we called them, just to determine who was good at what. Those findings are what i based the KR/PR ranking on. I was one of the best in our hood at KR/PR, so i got to field the candidates. We awarded points based on performance to help single out individuals. Tim got it by virtue of three factors; 1=speed, 2=manueverability, 3=line (his line seemed to help him more). Dennis was a close second, but 2nd nonetheless. I believe McNeil, Crawford, & McConkey rounded out the top five, but there was a dispute as to the relevance of the last two since i was the only one able to use them "properly" so we gave an HM to Verdin & Carter. This was an area the Fins also sucked at (PRUITT!!), furthering their dig towards the bottom.

Thanks to Rom hacking we can find out the exact stats.

Name RS RP MS

Dennis Gentry 4 3 10

Gerald McNeil 4 3 10

Tim Brown 4 3 9

C.J Edmonds 4 3 9

Anthony Carter 3 3 9

Those are the top 5 statistically. The only other things I can think of that could factor in is the stats of their blockers. Chicago definately has the best offensive line out of the group.

Also Seattle isn't that bad of a team. Fredd Young gives them a better defense than at least half the teams in the game.

So true. It's obviously a better defense to use when you've got somebody fast to be (like you said about Dallas). I like the ones that give you a good enough option to be either a LB or a DB like the Giants, Bears, 49ers, or Redskins. I could never understand why my human opponents had such problems finding the fast lineman on the 49ers, Carter was the only black guy up there. He was a demon at blocking FG/XPs as well.

As far as the KR/PR stats go, i always like bucking trends anyway; hence why McConkey & Crawford seemed to only work for me. Tim also got us more return TDs than anyone else. Why the computer thinks Edmonds is that good is beyond me. Never could get him far with us.

My Ranking beta version 1.0.1

1. Giants

2. Bears

3. 49ers

4. Raiders

5. Redskins

6. Seahawks

7. Vikings

8. Dolphins

9. Cowboys

10. Broncos

11. Colts

12. Browns

I haven't played the game in about 10 years so you'll have to bear with me.

WOW! That's wicked. What parameters are you using to rank them in this beta version? Our ranking was built wrongly for two reasons; 1= we didn't factor in our results of "non-games" to player values, and 2= we played the best-of-7/best-of-5 series, but we never traded teams! Usually one of us was one team throughout. We now know that sucked (of course) and are also playing a TCS with the original as well as TSB3 to find out once and for all. Our rankings of the original season:

1 = Bears - TFL/Punch Bowl champs

2 = Browns

3 = Giants - Fruit Bowl champs

4 = 49ers

5 = Raiders - Salad Bowl champs

6 = Redskins

7 = Broncos - Soup Bowl champs

8 = Vikings

9 = Cowboys - Cereal Bowl champs

10 = Seahawks

11 = Colts - Toilet Bowl champs

12 = Dolphins

These of course are the final series standings, where the respective Bowl winners are ranked accordingly.

WOW! That's wicked. What parameters are you using to rank them in this beta version? Our ranking was built wrongly for two reasons; 1= we didn't factor in our results of "non-games" to player values, and 2= we played the best-of-7/best-of-5 series, but we never traded teams! Usually one of us was one team throughout. We now know that sucked (of course) and are also playing a TCS with the original as well as TSB3 to find out once and for all. Our rankings of the original season:

1 = Bears - TFL/Punch Bowl champs

2 = Browns

3 = Giants - Fruit Bowl champs

4 = 49ers

5 = Raiders - Salad Bowl champs

6 = Redskins

7 = Broncos - Soup Bowl champs

8 = Vikings

9 = Cowboys - Cereal Bowl champs

10 = Seahawks

11 = Colts - Toilet Bowl champs

12 = Dolphins

These of course are the final series standings, where the respective Bowl winners are ranked accordingly.

Wait, the Dolphins were the worst team in the game? Did you have someone who knew what they were doing using them? Their plays are virtually unstoppable, and Offerdahl is a beast on defense.

And I don't want to hear any crap about them not having a running game. So what, no running game. Neither do half the teams in the game unless you're Dallas, Chicago, or LA.

I"m not saying they're the best, I'm just saying no one has been able to stop me when I'm the Fish.

Personally I think Dallas is the worst team, based on their defense, but Miami is pretty bad too. I disagree with your comment about a running game, I could effectively run with any team in the game except Miami, and it's not just because Hampton is the worst running back in the game(which he is) it's because that one running play isn't very good. Every other running play in the game gives you the ability to break away and get a big gain, this run takes you straight up the middle with almost no blocking.

Offerdahl isn't that great either, there are 11 defensive players better than him, and that's not including defensive backs where about the same amount of players are better. To put it simply, most teams have more than guy better than Offerdahl. Washington for example has 4, and the Giants have 3.

As far as unstoppable plays, most teams have a variation of this, and I've already stated San Francisco's Pass 3 is the most effective, and gets the most yards.

Miami's main strength are it's 2 WR's, since all QB's are basically the same in this game, and even as a duo they are not the best in the game.

I've beaten this game with every team, so I know what I'm doing, but I were really trying to beat a human opponent, I wouldn't choose Miami.

Lots of teams have unstoppable plays, however I'd have to say that despite its lack of players, Miami is better in 2 player games than Minnesota, Seattle, Indianapolis, Dallas, and Cleveland... possibly others. I know that Miami's players are highly inferior to most, however I haven't met anyone who has been able to shut down Miami's passing game. I don't even pick run 1, and this doesn't matter.

Yeah, you right. We do consider Offerdahl a demon. The fact that there was "someone who knew what they were doing" with Miami is a source of debate for me (though the 'someone' may not tend to agree). But all this should be sorted out accurately when we complete or series here.

• 1 month later...

"Yeah, you right. We do consider Offerdahl a demon. "

"And I don't want to hear any crap about them not having a running game. So what, no running game. Neither do half the teams in the game unless you're Dallas, Chicago, or LA. "

First off, i play original Tecmo Bowl extensively and these, among other comments are totally false.

Offerdahl is OK at best. Every team can run the ball great except for maybe 4. Tim Brown is not the best KR, clearly it is Gentry, then either mcneil or brown is second.

And the Browns are not one of the worst teams, neither are seattle. They are 2 of the best.

When me and my group of friends play we out law using those unstoppable plays, because if you use them the game isint even worth playing, since NOBODY COULD EVER BE STOPPED ON OFFENSE EVER. And hence there woudl be no point, since none of the skills of the game would matter it would just be a matter of passing it to a guy on a slant route or making a cut so it cannot be picked. So with that rule installed(and it always should be). Here is the Team rankings.

The NYG are #1, period. I have never lost a game with the Giants, their D is too amazing, LT is fucking God and their O is good enough to get 6-7 points a game which is all you need.

Chicago is second best, they just have too much talent on both sides of the ball.

3rd through 8th is really debateable, all of LA, SEA, CLE, SF, DEN, WSH are really close in rankings, it really just depends on the team match-ups who is better. My ranking would be, Den, La, Sea, Cle, SF, WSH.

...and the reason SF is so low everybody, is because of one thing that has been discovered, if you are playing D against SF pick Pass 1 and be the RE(the end at the top of the screen). IF you do this the SF O has trouble going anywhere. Just go see for yourself.

Miami is next on the list. They have an unstoppable O, possibly second best in the game, but their D cannot stop anybody. This really hurts them, and to win with Miami you have to be really good at QB'ing, if your not you are toast.

The last 3 are Minn, Indy and Dal, they are clearly the bottom feeders of the league, my ranking goes in the order i already said but it is close.

Also saying stuff like there isint much difference in the QB skills in the game is foolish because the difference between Hero Marino and shit Trudeau is insane, the difference between Marino and anyone is insane.

If you want to know how skilled a guy is just look at his rating, it is usually a good indicator, but their are a few exceptions(Bo Jackson, Tim Brown, Dan Marino, Howie Long, Tony Dorsett...)

• 1 year later...

a few points on MIA.....with an experienced player manning the dolphins, you should be able to tear up and down the field....just a matter of ultra fast wr cycling and blam the pass is to the man you want and its easy to get 8-12 yards per pass play, until you get play-picked.

now then theres the discussion of the unstoppable pass routes.....those are soooooo intereceptable its insane.....just need to get above the reciever thats getting thrown to and then move down when the ball gets close.....easy pick, and when you pick that play its as good as 6 points.....just ask Fredd Young vs SF's crappy slant that craig runs.

MIA is a good team, and thier running play is efficient as the only guy not blocked on the play is the top LB.....so unless the opponent is him, or else LT(cause that mofo cant be stopped) you should be able to get a decent 4-6 yards a pop. granted a defender such as singletary or young can make a diving tackle, but just learn to juke a bit and your ok.

now offerdahl on defense is a decent option when the opponent calls pass, but look out when he gets caught in a running play....he really has no chance of making too many diving tackles cause he kinda slow, so you better be able to cattle herd the RB a bit then catch him with a dive from behind. also other than offerdahl you have no speed, so this might require you to choose a slower defender in a better position, which can make it harder to stop your opponent, but it will limit big plays.

overall, if you had a group of guys with all about the same talent, MIA should be a team thats at least around a .500 team give or take a few wins. They can handle a strong defense due to thier insane passing attack, and they can get mauled by teams with a strong running game(IND/CHI)

heck with comperable talent playing, other than say NYG/CHI/SF...most all the teams are pretty even....WAS and MIN have no offense vs a good, smart player, but they have ample defense to sway the tide, and stick around hoping for a mistake to capitalize on.

I recently ranked MIA about 8th or so on a recent post I made, but thats mainly due to thier lack of defesne, and like i said teams 4-8/9 are kinda log-jammed pretty bad anyways, so they got a shot vs anyone. In our leagues most wild game ever, i lead MIA to a 26-24 win over SF....I had to throw everything including the kitchen sink to pull it out, but its a winnable match-up, and MIA are one of id say 2 teams that can hang in a shootout with SF. Den being the other, on account of elways lightning fast throws and crazy legs(we allow scrambling)

Yes - in Tecmo Super Bowl. 'Cause if you got to cycle through players in Tecmo Bowl, you gotta let me know something!

As far as what LT was saying, that's all well and good, and you can point out facts all you want about what you found. The gist of the matter is: other people are going to discover other things. And we being the other people, Offerdahl was Da Man. Probably considered one of the top 10 defense players in the league on our game. He was quick, and he had the position - what more need be said?

Ahh...damnit! Yeah you're right, he ment the original Tecmo Bowl. Great, now i look like an ass!

Well, back to Tecmo Bowl....

Your all right though, Offerdahl smokes on D. Offense is okay if you can find an open man, then he can break open fairly easy cause their WR's are pretty descent. Just forget the rushing game, you'll hit a brick wall almost every time (unless some pretty good blocks occur), it's not even worth the waste of a down.

Sorry bout the last post :wink: