Chicago Tecmo Bowl Tournament

SmokedUBad13

I'm trying to guage interest to determine how many of you would be interested in an original Tecmo Bowl tournament similar to the RBI Baseball Championship of the Universe Tournament (COTUT) that I run.

The format would be as follows: 16 players, $20-50 entry fee (TBD), double elimination series tournament, prize money for 1st-4th places, held in the Southwest Chicago suburbs.

If you'd be interested in joining this tournament, e-mail me at [email protected] with the following info:

Your Name

E-mail Address

AOL Instant Messenger

Yahoo! Instant Messenger

Your Location

I'll start a database of interested players and if we can find enough support for such a tournament, I'd certainly be willing to organize it.

P.S. Feel free to post links on other Tecmo Bowl websites and forums that point to this post. The more interest we get, the better the chance that this will become a reality.

As in any tournament, controversy over the rules is inevitable and expected.

Personally, I prefer to play "anything goes." I like this style for two reasons. First, it keeps with the tradition of playing the original game the way it is (whether or not there are obvious flaws in the gameplay).

Second, it eliminates any human judgment involved in calling plays as legal/illegal. This has been discussed to a great extent in our RBI Baseball COTUTs. The overall consensus is that no one wants to be the person to have to judge or make a call that a play was illegal. If rules over gameplay are allowed, the next controversy always becomes 'what is a fair penalty for such an action?' And everybody has their own opinion about that.

Overall, rules would have to be discussed. I'm not in any situation to create rules for the game as I'll admit that I'm not even a hardcore TB player. I just love the game and think it would make for an excellent tournament.

i am always discussing the terrible curl routes and how ustoppable those are. Mainly Hershel Walkers curl route, however with your set up of rotating teams or using them randomly coupled with a best of 3 and best of 5......it kind of eliminates some of the problems you'd face over a 3 or 5 game set. Most teams have those slants that are interceptable as opposed to curls. It might be OK, and it would be difficult to actually judge some of these contests.

Can we get away without heavy rules? Sure. Is "anything goes" the way too play? To me, no. With anything goes you can do a lot of things to ruin the spirit of the game. Such as say goodbye to field goals, and defense would be out, replaced by scoring everytime anyone touches the ball.

To me the key rules would be no throwing while the receiver is curling, slanting or cutting and no blocking field goals with anyone except the linebacker.

Other stuff like QB running is important too, but not as potentially damaging as those other two.

I'm all for the 'only linebackers can block field goals' rule and the 'no QB sneaks/running' rule. I like these because a) I think everybody could easily play by these and understand why they're playing by them and ;) they'd be easy to enforce for the supervisor.

As of right now, I'm against 'no throwing while the receiver is curling' for two reasons also. First, I think this rule might discourage less skilled players from joining the tournament. For example, I don't have the routes memorized and I know I wouldn't want to be penalized by this rule because of that (I simply schroll through receivers until I find one that's open, then I throw. Most of the time I'm unaware if they're going to slant, curl, or continue on a straight pattern.) Second, this might be a hard rule to enforce for the supervisor. Since you're not outlawing curling routes all together, at what point does it become acceptable for the QB to throw? Not only that, but I might throw the ball before the curling pattern, thinking that the WR might be continuing on a straight pattern.

if you dont have the rule about curls/slants, the good thing about it is that in a best of 3/5/7series you gotta swap teams and some teams dont have strong playbooks for that crap, so i think it would all even out in the mix.

also not allowing the qb to run would then help you as a human defender to key in on those slant/curl routes and not worry about the QB taking off.

might be a good idea.....also allowing only the LB to block FG's makes NYG very valueable and also makes IND a decent pick....and it makes for more scoring opportunities for the offense. i think we are on to something here!

In the league i play in, we can use any defender though to try and block extra points...it can be kind of a wildcard in the game, if you can block one of these in a toight game

Yeah, I've heard from seven interested players... we're going to need a few more in order to get anything off the ground.

The tournament would be held in the West-South-West Chicago suburbs, around the Burr Ridge/La Grange area. This is only about ten minutes south of Oak Brook.

• 1 month later...