Ratings for defensive players...

sois

I am about to start working on an STL rerate. Glorious Yahoo.com has passes defended, tackles (solo and assist) and various other cool stats.

What I need to know is:

What ratings should i adjust for:

- Good tackler, not good at int.

- Good pass defender, not good at int.

- Good sacks, not a great tackler.

I am thinking for good tacklers I would need high RP or RS... which on makes more sense?

I think that a good pass defender needs to be fast, but if they aren't good at interceptions , I will just make the INT rating low. But which rating should be high: MS, RS or RP?

Also, I am using different criteria for different positions. For example, a S with high pass deflections , to me, means he has high HP and he is knocking the ball out of the receivers hands. A CB however woudln't have high HP, just good speed to be around the defender....

So, if this makes any sense to anyone, let me know.

I am thinking for good tacklers I would need high RP or RS... which one makes more sense?

Dude, neither of those attributes are as important in the constitution of a good tackler as is HP.

Think about it: what attribute most directly determines the success in the OL v. DL battle? HP, right? So, what attribute most directly contributes to a defensive player's ability to bring down a ball carrier?

HP.

AM Rush

The problem with that statement is that someone that is the thing that really matters most in bringing down a defender or not getting brought down is how fast you can tap the "A" button. HP matters only a little bit if someone is even slightly better than someone else.

So in man vs man RS/RP are indeed the most important attributes because at least if you can get to the guy quick enough you have a chance of making a tackles

I am thinking for good tacklers I would need high RP or RS... which one makes more sense?

Dude, neither of those attributes are as important in the constitution of a good tackler as is HP.

Think about it: what attribute most directly determines the success in the OL v. DL battle? HP, right? So, what attribute most directly contributes to a defensive player's ability to bring down a ball carrier?

HP.

AM Rush

The problem with that statement is that someone that is the thing that really matters most in bringing down a defender or not getting brought down is how fast you can tap the "A" button. HP matters only a little bit if someone is even slightly better than someone else.

So in man vs man RS/RP are indeed the most important attributes because at least if you can get to the guy quick enough you have a chance of making a tackles

HP.

AM Rush

Ah sh*t. Once again I forget to qualify a comment with the fact that I'm a COA mode guy...

:)

Sorry.

AM Rush

• 2 weeks later...

umm, wouldn't MS be the only really important thing to consider if you're talking about how fast a guy can get to a ballcarrier?

I thought everyone was always under the impression (which I generally agree with) that RS and RP aren't really much of a factor in anything?

I'm only in the very preliminary stages of working out formulas and tables to convert real stats into Tecmo ratings (and I have no idea how to actually make a ROM when I get settled on how I want to do the ratings), but here is a very simple idea where I base DL MS on number of sacks (I couldn't find a site that showed tackles, but I think for the line sacks is a good indicator of speed, anyway.):

Sacks MS

0 19

1-3 25

4-6 31

7-9 38

10-11 44

12-13 50

14-15 56

16-17 63

18-19 69

20+ 75 (prolly less than 5 players in the history of the nfl)

69% of the DL in TSB have 25 RS. So I would just give most of the players that except for those with the highest MS. Almost 90% of the DL have 31-44 RP. Bruce Smith is the only DL with 56 RP. (Nobody has 63, and someone has 69, but I'm too lazy to figure out who because it's not even a Pro Bowler.) Now with 69 MS and 75 HP, would it really affect the way Bruce Smith plays in the game if his RP was 38 instead of 56? I don't think it would. A-mashing skills aside, I would just focus on MS and HP.

sois, your table is awesome, by the way. I'll definitely be using it to simplify some things.

RP matters a lot as its how fast you accelerate to that top speed! RS is less valuable. Also unless you plan on making Ol's fairly weak DL is realtively usless position set in tecmo

Not true. The better DEs can dive tackle a QB almost as fast as a NT, or run around the OT faster than an OLB. I've spent many happy seasons alternating between using Long and Townsend.

I've read the description of what RP does, and it makes sense. But if you assume 6 RP means it takes 2.0 secs to get to MS, and 100 RP is as close to 0.00 secs as you can get, then the difference between 31 RP and 56 RP is about half a second. I don't know, maybe that's enough to make a difference. It is, however, a lot harder to see than the difference between 31 MS and 56 MS. I think it just simplifies things if you do RP by position, and rely on MS to distinguish star players.

Aside from your QB experiments, did you mess around with RP in any other positions? How does a D-line or LBs with 100 RP play?

I'm for setting relatively high RP across the board on D - say 56 for the line, 63 for LBs, and 69 for DBs. On O I would just give everyone 69. Who's the loser with 38 on the O-line? That's pretty funny. I would have guessed it was someone on the Bucs, but it's not.

HP is the most important attribute for the DL unless they are man controlled. Because if the computer drone can't break through blocks they have little use.

Let's play sometime. You can have all 38 rp 63ms defensive players and I'll have all 69 38 ms players. Trust me you will see the difference

HP is the most important attribute for the DL unless they are man controlled. Because if the computer drone can't break through blocks they have little use.

Let's play sometime. You can have all 38 rp 63ms defensive players and I'll have all 69 38 ms players. Trust me you will see the difference

Well I agree about the HP thing.

Aside from the fact that you are probably a much better player than me, I would be interested to play that sometime. I really can't see how 69 RP 38 MS is better than the reverse. OK, so you accelerate faster, but then you can't catch anyone.

On Friday I will definitely see about downloading an emulator. This will probably sound like a really stupid question, but I've played strictly console. Do you need a controller to play, or can you use the keyboard?

You can use the keyboard or a controller.

As far as how good a guy is with 69 rp, isn't that Bob Nelson? Give him a try. Have you ever noticed that the computer will lurch with him if he is in excellent conidtion? This is because he accelerates so fast.

You can use the keyboard or a controller.

As far as how good a guy is with 69 rp, isn't that Bob Nelson? Give him a try. Have you ever noticed that the computer will lurch with him if he is in excellent conidtion? This is because he accelerates so fast.

Ah, I had been wondering what controls how fast a D-lineman will dive. That makes sense now that I think about it.

However, I still think you're better off with someone like Richard Dent (44 RP and 50 MS) than Nelson (69 RP and 38 MS). Using Bob Nelson to chase Bo Jackson around doesn't seem like it would work very well. You want to have a guy like Rod Woodson or Wayne Haddix because they have 75 MS, not because they have 56 RP.

That's also why Bob Nelson isn't usually on people's Pro Bowl teams. You put in a DE as the NT because their MS is higher.