Helmet Editor Preview

konForce

It's a high level editor, so no knowledge of how TSB stores the GFX is necessary. Although, it's helpful to understand the space limitations and how to make the best use of column aligned tiles (save PRG/code space) VS pixel aligned tiles (save CHR/tile space)

The first release will allow you to edit the large helmets.

he01.png

The 1960 ROM, team selection screen.

he02.png

A modern Washington Redskins logo edited by hand. Notice the wasted (unused) tile space and unnecessary pixel aligned tiles (right two).

he03.png

Original Washington Redskins logo.

he04.png

A helmet edited by yours truly. Notice that there is only one underline graphic. As you can tell by the grid lines the left and right most underline piece on the helmet have been adjusted one pixel to the right/left. End result is saving three graphical tiles, but using four more bytes of code space. (Each new pixel adjust costs two bytes.)

he05.png

The helmet above back on the main screen.

he06.png

Stripes are in style... (Ie, selecting a different background for the helmets.)

he07.png

Debugging console. What happens is after you move tiles around and such, the editor sorts the list for optimal size and then re-writes the code. A few helmets (colts and chargers, I think) actually are stored more effeciently with my sorting method than whatever the original programmers used. This is just by chance though; it is possible to construct a weird assortment of tiles where the editor does not produce the smallest amounts of bytes, but you'd have to really try hard to do that.

Oh my dear god that looks sweet! This editor will be awesome and make helmet editing super easy. I can't wait to give this program a run, i mean the possibilites are just flowing on what kind of edits we could see.

Keep up the great work KonForce! :D

That looks pretty good Konforce.

Does the program currently allow you to change the tile character banks and how many tiles that will be used for each team? I know for the WLAF/USFL and NCAA roms that I'm drawing for I needed to just delete every helmet tile and start from scratch. Mainly so I could allocate the tile space and fit so many new team logos in.

Does the program currently allow you to change the tile character banks and how many tiles that will be used for each team?

You can change which one of the 128 CHR sprite pages (64 tiles each) is used per helmet logo, although unless you feel like butchering some other graphics in the game, it doesn't make any sense in going outside the original four or five pages allocated.

Regarding the tiles that are used, those can be added, removed, and rearranged at will. If you look at the 'konForce' helmet, you'll see the alignment has been changed from what the original (Steelers) helmet used. The editor does not attempt to use any of the empty space at the end of the PRG bank (there's enough to be somewhat useful), so you are still limited to the same sum size (for all the teams put together).

The release of it is delayed somewhat, as I'm converting it to use a 3rd party GUI lib to make it more extensible down the road.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Konforce,

Any update on a release date for your editor. I got all excited about it a while back when I read about it, but it's been pretty quiet here lately. Anything you can tell us about your progress. I have an entire mid-Michigan high school football conference to create and no way of doing so :D

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About two months ago I found this site,...I had no idea there were so many tecmo freaks like myself. I have used all of the editing tools to make what I think is a dam good tecmo super bowl. The only thing I need to do now is edit the helmits. I've tried using the tile editors, but I don't have the skill or patience for that. Kon this helmit editor looks absolutely awesome. It will be the final piece of my tecmo puzzle. Please, please let us know what is going on with it, because it's killing me not having it :) . That being said this editor looks sick :) .

hi ive just joined this site and been a fan of this site for little over a year now. this is my favorite site smong all the other tecmo's sites i've visited.

and i agree with the others to say that i too would love to complete my tecmo files with the helmet editor it truly looks soooo perfect and what an amazing accomplishment u were able to do creating something like this kon. u and the people working around u.

i give it 99 out of 100 only because im very interested to know when will it be released. keep up the perfection of your work buddy and hopefully in the future you can make a tecmo super nba/nba 2000 manager too.

kefkaroth (joined on thursday april 7,2005) :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to see if there was a final update on your final version? I'm not a Hex Editing pro, so I love ALL the tools you guys make!! I've got your version 0.10 and have used it to edit some things, but it in no way has reached its full potential. Please, please, please tell me there is something new on the way???