Longest FG

ultimate7

I had always thought the Longest FG you could make was a 70 yarder +/- 1. But a couple weeks ago I was playing a friend using TB, and was up like 16-3 so on the last play of the game I kicked a FG as a joke and made it, I was inside my own 40 (37 or 38, had I thought there was any chance, I would have paid attention) so I made a 79-80 yd FG with Christie, it seemed like a glitch, have others done this?

Yeah the FG and punt distances are really messed up. That's one of the few remaining things that could stand being fixed in Tecmo.

I also think that a faster arrow is almost more helpful in kicking FG's as it doesn't allow for as much time for the defende to get in if you need to wait on it. This is of course it you are actually trying to aim it vs just hitting A quickly.

There was just a whole long thread on kicking. I believe the maximum FG is 74 1/2 yards, which is probably what you did. That is when the ball is placed just past your own 35 yard line. The significance of this spot is it is just past where kickoffs are done from.

I think the game was designed this way on purpose so that you can't kick a FG longer than a KO. I haven't seen any convincing evidence of longer kicks than this.

There was just a whole long thread on kicking. I believe the maximum FG is 74 1/2 yards, which is probably what you did. That is when the ball is placed just past your own 35 yard line. The significance of this spot is it is just past where kickoffs are done from.

If you kick when you're just past your own 35, you are not kicking a 74 1/2 yard field goal but rather an 80 yard field goal. The ball is snapped back to about the 30, and the kicker has the kick the ball through the goal posts which are 10 yards past the goal line. 20 to get to half field + 50 to get to the goal line + 10 to goal posts means you'd be kicking an unheard of 80 yards.

I've personally ever been able to kick more than 70 yard field goals, even with Lowery and Christie. As a general rule of thumb I consider myself within range if I am past the 50 yard line. With especially good kickers I will kick if i have the ball a couple of yards behind the 50, but any further than that and I kick short.

I also think that a faster arrow is almost more helpful in kicking FG's as it doesn't allow for as much time for the defende to get in if you need to wait on it. This is of course it you are actually trying to aim it vs just hitting A quickly.

I agree Bruudog, I actually prefer the crappy kickers when I play someone because the arrow isn't so slow.

If you kick when you're just past your own 35, you are not kicking a 74 1/2 yard field goal but rather an 80 yard field goal. The ball is snapped back to about the 30, and the kicker has the kick the ball through the goal posts which are 10 yards past the goal line. 20 to get to half field + 50 to get to the goal line + 10 to goal posts means you'd be kicking an unheard of 80 yards.

I've personally ever been able to kick more than 70 yard field goals, even with Lowery and Christie. As a general rule of thumb I consider myself within range if I am past the 50 yard line. With especially good kickers I will kick if i have the ball a couple of yards behind the 50, but any further than that and I kick short.

I knew someone was going to misinterpret this. I meant where the ball is placed after the snap, right before the kick. So you would be at about your own 43 yard line to start out. The ball is snapped back to the 35. That's 65 yards to the goal line, plus 10 for the endzone makes 75 yards to the goal posts.

• 15 years later...
On 7/11/2020 at 11:04 PM, Super Josh said:

I just kicked a 65/66 yard attempt with Christie I was wide ; yet this is massive distance and I was impressed that it made it . Thoughts ? On this thanks 

buccaneers giants 46-42 the kick was in the final ending seconds 

Lol, boy you sure did a massive bump @BO FB Offtackle Left surely you remember making that post in 2005 right? Anyway if this were a simulation style of game where the aim was to get a bit of realism I think the field goal kicking and what not would be problematic. But for arcade style of games it doesn't really matter.

Edited by sony12

On 7/14/2020 at 10:10 AM, sony12 said:

Lol, boy you sure did a massive bump @BO FB Offtackle Left surely you remember making that post in 2005 right? Anyway if this were a simulation style of game where the aim was to get a bit of realism I think the field goal kicking and what not would be problematic. But for arcade style of games it doesn't really matter.

We know how to adjust the distance of FGs and punts, and some roms have shorter distances. I made both FGs and punts shorter on my 2006 college rom. It worked fairly well for FGs, but making punts shorter was a mistake because the computer always kicks it short to begin with.