*DOINK* off the uprights ...

operagost

I didn't say it was INFREQUENT. I said IMPROBABLE, as in real life the uprights are so thin that you would have to try really hard to hit them. As you said, it happens on nearly every close miss in TSB, which is why it's IMPROBABLE.

Morten Andersen barely got one over the horizontal this weekend, but that bounced off the post instead of the uprights. That old guy may have no range, but he's still quite accurate. Kinda like an old trumpet player!

I didn't say it was INFREQUENT. I said IMPROBABLE, as in real life the uprights are so thin that you would have to try really hard to hit them. As you said, it happens on nearly every close miss in TSB, which is why it's IMPROBABLE.

I recall there was a college football game this year that involved 3 kicks hitting the uprights or the crossbar -- 2 of them by one kicker, 1 by the other. It seemed so absurd at the time that you'd kick even 1 kick off a post or crossbar. But after that game I now refuse to believe that it's that improbable. Kickers simply aren't as good as they used to be, guys trying to block the kick are faster and quicker (rushing more kicks), and we've lately been seeing a lot more weird things happening with kicks I guess. I saw wayyyy more kicks doinking of the posts and crossbar this season ion NFL and NCAA than I think I have in all my years prior combined.

-- Primis.

I don't think kickers today are worse, they're just not getting any better. I think it may be the soccer kick thing. Coaches are probably so sure that soccer kicking is superior that if some beefy kid comes in and boots it off the toes for 80 yards, the first thing he'll do is teach him "proper" technique.

Or maybe it's because 'roids don't help kicking ...

Kickers today are worse... between expansion and the salary cap... honestly, if you had to cut someone for cap space, isn't the kicker a nice place to do it? A great example if my favorite Vanderjerk... he doesn't even kick off a year after he was perfect on field goals... he can't be that good, can he?

I don't see how expansion or the salary cap could make the kicker pool significantly worse. Kickers don't make much unless they are veterans. And expansion only meant going from 28 to 32 teams in a decade. Since more people than ever are going to college, I bet there are a lot more kickers available in the draft than before. Also, most teams only use (or need) one kicker, unless he's an old guy like Morty who can't do kickoffs or their kicker is having a career meltdown. I don't see how you can cut your kicker if he's the only one. I guarantee the Eagles are not going to cut Akers unless he goes Gramatica. Many teams draft one, then cut him after preseason; but that's because kickers almost never get injured and they need to get to 53, not to save cap.

I think this is about to degenerate into a "back in my day" thread about guys kicking with bloody bare feet 100 yards in a blizzard (uphill to both end zones).