most points ever in a game vs Computer

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

if i remember right, i racked up like 91-93 points with WSH.....mainly due to Manley picking off everything in sight, and Williams throwing bomb after bomb to clark, or is it sanders all game. also wsh is one of just a few teams where the top wr goes deep, in very fast fashion.

im inclined to say that it was 91 cause thats like 13 td's, and i dont think i was able to register a saftey.

i can get into the 70's and 80's a lot, but never got that high of a score again.

just tried it again, with WSH and drew LA as my opponent.

i only got 84 points, but had 2-3 plays that made the difference in me getting 91, and possibly 98 points.

in the 1st qtr i only had 14 and they punted to me. with 1 second left, they picked my play, and i didnt get the bomb and the clock free play, as its always good to hit the long td pass when the clock is not running. this then kinda put me behind from the get go.

i went on a 28 point tear to start the 2nd qtr and had a lead of 42-0, and i got an INT at midfield, but there were 0:00 on the clock and i lost out on a clock free play once again. so i could have possibly had 56 points by then. i think i only managed 14 in the 3rd as well for a 70-0 lead. in the 4th things looked good, as i scored with about 45 seconds to go, and had 77 by then. i got a quick INT and then added 7 more, and it was 84. however on LA's next drive i bit on allens short route and they threw deep to todd, which was completed by half an inch. then i wiffed on the next play as well, and the clock ran out. so close.

if i could just get them to not punt at all, and coulda made more use of a dead clock, i mighta been golden.

*delurk*

The easiest way to rack up a TON of points in the original is to play as the Giants, and play against any team whose second Passing play is out of the shotgun.

Basically kick as deep as possible every kick, then use LT to stop every run, pick off every pass, or sack the QB every time they use the shotgun. You get saftey after safety this way, and thus they kick back from their 20, and then have Simms through long on the first play...

I used to fairly regularly be able to rack up like ~110 points this way. LT returning like 7 INT's for TD's, throw to Bavaro using the second pass play when under pressure, and throw deep on that same second pass play to the wideout whose name I forget... Mckonkey?

The Raiders are another team you can sometimes pull this off with, because Howie Long is an ok substitute for LT... but not quite. Their passing game also sucks in comparsion, but...

Tecmo Bowl L.T. is the Greatest Video Football PLayer Ever for a reason though.

*lurk*

-- Primis.

My best is 105. 15 TDs. The only time I've broken 100. I got it with Minnesota vs. the Giants of all teams. Pass 2 was highly effective and the Giants' pass plays are easy to INT. My strategy on kick-offs was to do as short a kick as possible everytime. Saves a lot of "dead time" you get on long kick-offs.

• 2 months later...
*delurk*

I used to fairly regularly be able to rack up like ~110 points this way. LT returning like 7 INT's for TD's, throw to Bavaro using the second pass play when under pressure, and throw deep on that same second pass play to the wideout whose name I forget... Mckonkey?

*lurk*

-- Primis.

Don't remember if it is him on that route (hell, i don't remember the routes. reading this forum is making me want to dust off (literally) the old game again), but Phil McKonkey was my favorite Giant in 1986 in real life, with Joe Morris a close second. McKonkey wasn't great, but he fired up the team. And then there was his kick return for a TD in the Superbowl. That was just classic.

• 7 months later...