Tecmo Online League

Knobbe

On some more topics that I wasn't allowed to talk about on Tecmo Inc, I'm involved in the HSTL (High Speed Tecmo League) that is just starting up it's third season. Due to the crap team I inherited I had the second overall pick in the draft which I traded down for the 4th overall. This meant that I went from picking Bo Jackson to Joe Montana in the first round.

If some of you guys haven't checked out an online league before, you can see me in draft action at http://hstl.puretecmo.com/ and the message boards are at http://wtl.puretecmo.com/forum/index.php

I'm obviously Rod Woodson and I have the Pittsburgh Steelers. As you might be able to tell, Joe Montana is happy to be here....

montana.jpg

That I had been allowed to participate in this season, but I lose my HS connection over summer. How dissapointing. I would have loved to have drafted my team. How cool would that have been! Talk about inheriting a crap team... I had to make a killer deal for LT and even after that my team still sucked. If it wouldn't have been for the 5 creampuff teams I played I would have gone 0-16.

Here is my Team - I'll update as the draft continues:

http://hstl.puretecmo.com/draft.html

QB - Joe Montana (SF)

QB - Mike Elkins (KC)

RB - Albert Bentley (IND)

RB - Derrick Fenner (SEA)

RB - Todd McNair (KC)

RB - Blair Thomas (NYJ)

WR - Haywood Jeffries (HOU)

WR - Eric Martin (N.O.)

WR - J.J. Birden (KC)

WR - James Lofton (BUF)

TE - Keith Jackson (MIA)

TE - Jonathan Hayes (KC)

C - Mike Webster (KC)

T - Rich Baldinger (KC)

T - John Alt (KC)

G - David Luts (KC)

G - David Szott (KC)

DL - Lee Williams (S.D)

DL - Burt Grossman (S.D)

DL - Les Miller (S.D)

LB - Pepper Johnson (NYG)

LB - Gary Reasons (NYG)

LB - Vaughn Johnson (N.O.)

LB - Sam Mills (N.O)

DB - Eddie Anderson (RAI)

DB - Mike Harden (RAI)

DB - Mark Kelso (BUFF)

DB - Leonard Smith (BUFF)

K - Nick Lowery (KC)

P - Bryan Barker (KC)

Check this team out

QB:

QB: Stan Humphries

RB: Barry Sanders

RB: Gerald Riggs

RB: Kelvin Bryant

RB:

WR: Art Monk

WR: John Taylor

WR: Brian Mitchell

WR: Joe Howard

TE:

TE: Jimmie Johnson

OL: Russ Grimm

OL: Ed Simmons

OL: Raleigh Mckenzie

OL: Jim Lachey

OL: Jeff Bostic

DL:

DL:

DL:

LB: Daryll Talley

LB: Corneilius Bennett

LB: Dennis Byrd

LB: Kyle Clifton

DB: Charles Dimry

DB: Brian Washington

DB: Erik Mcmillan

DB: Deion Sanders

Mmm, Mmm, Mmm

My draft analysis and thoughts:

Last year my team was drafted by a mongoloid who happened to fall into QB Eagles and who's lone defensive player Eddie Anderson was slotted as a CB.

To prepare myself for this year, I dumped the database on my site that contains the complete player ratings into an Excel file and setup equations to give each player a mathimatical value. (A customized TSBM if you will) From this I was able to see where and when I should make picks. Using this method I only made one major error when picking. At 6.21 I should have chosen receiver instead of LB. While waiting for my next pick I missed out on Art Monk, Mark Ingram, and Mark Carrier. I did get the services of Eric Martin, but I could have probably picked up my LBs lower.

Another philosiphy I had was to trade down on some picks to gain more depth to my team. In the end I had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and had my final pick at 10.7.

Anyway, this year I wanted to build a solid D around a running game. After trading down one too many spots to pick up Barry Sanders, I decided to go with Joe Montana and create a fearsome passing attack. I would say my weakness would be DBs not named Eddie Anderson and the lack of breakaway speed at RB. My strengths would be having only my FB with a RC number under 63, having one of the best O-lines, having the option to drop back the 63 int Gary Reasons on obvious passing downs, and having the sleeper stud Derrick Fenner as my KR behind a KR team featuring some decent HP. If I don't make the playoffs it's because I suck at playing, not at drafting...

Does a broadband connection really make that much of a difference? Most of the games I've been involved in have periods of bad lag. I suppose it could be my connection, but I don't have hardly any difficulty during long downloads or other high traffic events like Diablo and starcraft.

It does when using Nesticle. The better connection you have, the more like the NES console it is. When modem players play each other, the settings make it so that if you hit the A button to pass, the QB will do this 1-2 seconds later.

Does a broadband connection really make that much of a difference? Most of the games I've been involved in have periods of bad lag. I suppose it could be my connection, but I don't have hardly any difficulty during long downloads or other high traffic events like Diablo and starcraft.

• 2 weeks later...

First you need to find a league. I have several bookmarked on my site, but there are a lot more. Next, there should be directions on the website on how to join or else e-mail the commish.

From then on you will either be admitted into the league, put on a waiting list, or occasionally be told to get bent.

It helps to know someone in a league in terms of having played them in Tecmo before. You will easily jump over other people in a waiting list if commissioners know they are getting a good or reliable player.

Playing online is different from playing on the console because of the timing and the probably controller difference. If you've been playing on an emulator, you will be half way there. If you are playing over a modem and haven't before, you will suck to begin with as the timing will be unbearable. (It's so unbearable to me I refuse to play anything but highspeed connections.)

you can submit your name to [email protected] as it always seems like owners need to be replaced.

What the commish is looking for is someone who's played at least a couple of online games, has a high speed connection, and is reliable enough to get in a game a week for the next couple of months. If you haven't played online before you can send me an ICQ or something of the sort and I can walk you through it. It always says I'm offline, but I just have it in private mode to avoid spammers.

Week 1 - Loss 34-42 to the Niners

Heinz Field, Pittsburgh - In a game featuring two of the NFL's marquee passers in Joe Montana and Warren Moon, the 49ers passed themselves to a 42-34 win over the Steelers in a game ultimately decided by special team play.

After receiving the kickoff, the Niners marched from there own 20 on a 3 minute scoring drive that included a couple of 20 yard plays to Flipper Anderson and Tommy Kane and was capped by a 3 yard swing pass to Mark Boyer.

After returning the kickoff to their own 20, Pittsurgh went to work. Two Bently runs netted 6 yards and Montana then hit Keith Jackson on a called play for a critical first down conversion. Another called play meant a quick strike to Derrick Fenner. On the last play of the quarter, Montana threads the needle to Keith Jackson running the slant past a diving defender for a 50 yard TD to tie up the score at 7 a piece.

The 49ers took the ensuing kick-off and once again marched down the field to the tune of a couple of James Brooks 10 yard runs and three Moon to Anderson connections including a 10 yard TD strike to make the score 14-7.

With a 1:48 left in the half, Montana set out to work from his own 25. First Montana rambled for 12 yards. Next he hit Haywood Jeffries for 20 yards on a called play. He then hit Bentley for 4 yards on another called play. Another 15 yard pass to Bentley put the Steelers on the 49'ers 30 yard line with 34 ticks on the clock. Montana drops back to pass and throws a 30 yard strike to Eric Martin in the face of Charles Haley. Haley didn't appreciate this and procedes to block the kick to the horror of a confused Nick Lowery. Vai Sikehema runs the ensuing kickoff out of bounds to end the half with the Niners leading 14-13.

The second half started much like the first half ended for the Steelers with another special teams disaster. KR Derrick Fenner is blindsided on his own 20 and William White scoops up the ball and runs it in for the score.

After the Steeler received the ball again, Montana went back to work. On the first play of the drive, Montana chucked a 50 yard bomb to Keith Jackson who pulled the ball down in double coverage. After a couple of Bentley runs netted 15 yards, Montana hit Bentley for a 10 yard TD pass to put the score at 20-21 in favor of the Niners.

Moon answered back immediately by finding John L. Williams for 50+ yards and hitting Tommy Kane over the middle to bolt back to a 28-20 lead in two plays. On their next possession, the Steelers went back to the running game and Bentley ripped of 30 yards in two runs. Montana then proceded to throw a 50 yard JJ to Martin who was brought down just short of the goal line. After two Bentley runs went for losses, Montana beat a blitz on a slant pass to Jackson to bring the Steelers to within one at 27-28.

With just 3:46 left in the game the Steelers end up kick a lag filled onside to the Niners. The Niners take full advantage by scoring again in two plays with a 15 yard pass to James Brooks and a 40 yard bomb to a covered Flipper as the Steelers blitz isn't causing Moon any concern.

With 2:28 left in the game Montana still has not given up. On first down Keith Jackson gets behind the defense and hauls in a 60 yard reception. On the next play Jackson jumps for a quick out and is brought down just shy of the goal. The Steeler line holds up as Montana takes it in himself to bring the Steelers within one at 35-34.

The Steelers last chances slipped away with a failed onside attempt. On the first play from the 50 Moon avoids three men in the back field to hit a double covered Flipper who shakes both men and his brought down right as he scores the game ending touchdown.

Montana throws his first incompletion as time expires to avoid a safety and the Steelers fall 34-42.

Good game Bruddog and watch the film if you want to see a passing clinic...

http://ntl.puretecmo.com/hstl/Pit-SF_Wk1.nsm

http://ntl.puretecmo.com/hstl/Pit-SF_Wk1.nes