Poll: most average team, most unbalanced teams

t-bob

I'm wondering what you think the most average TSB team is. That is, the one with the most balanced offense, defense, and special teams units, and the smallest variation in player ability across the roster. I guess by that criteria, I would say the Giants (they're certainly very balanced), but what about a team that's literally average, not balanced AND powerful.

Also, what do you think the most unbalanced teams are? Like, the team that has an excellent offense but awful defense and vice-versa--the biggest difference in strength between the two units. I think it's the Rams and the Steelers, respectively.

For unbalanced temas, I would say the Patriots (decent defense, wretched offense), Colts (decent offense, wretched defense), and Vikings (pretty damn good defense, Walker an Co. never do crap for me) as well as the teams you mentioned. For balanced teams, the Bills are awesome at just about everything, Cleveland is a pretty mediocre team with no real strengths, and New Orleans has solid players at most positions (with a few glaring exceptions on defense).

Yeah, I'd say the Vikings are a good pick for the good defense/bad offense option, but the Steelers are even more so: they have the best defense in the game, and possibly the worst offense (worse than the Patriots, IMO).

As for the Pats and the Colts, I don't think they have "decent" anything. The Colts have no running game and no QB, the Pats have Lippett and Agnew on D (and Tippett if he's in GOOD or EXCELLENT). Colts O and Pats D can get the job done, yes, but only in the hands of a skilled MAN, and not against dominating units.

Cleveland? Probably below mediocre, and on O, Kosar stands head-and-shoulders above the rest (and Kosar-Slaughter is clearly the key to the offense).

I have almost no experience playing as the Saints, so I can't comment there. I'll have to try them out!

EDIT: Oh, and I would say the Bills' offense is better than their defense. Their secondary doesn't suck... but it's really not good. They can't pick it off, and if the run gets by the LBs, you're screwed. Not to mention that the line and the LBs are both mixed bags.

Houston is in no way an average team. That offense is too good. Sure the running game is nothing if you keep Lo White in there, but the passing game is unmatched. No way could an offense with Moon, Jeffries, Hill, Givens, and Duncan be considered a 'good' offense. It is nothing short of amazing. Plus, I don't think their D should be considered above average, but that could be debatable.

I would say the most average team in each division is as follows:

AFC East: NY Jets

AFC Central: Cincinnati

AFC West: Seattle

NFC East: Washington

NFC Central: Minnesota

NFC West: Los Angeles

For the most offensively weighted teams:

AFC East: Miami

AFC Central: Houston

AFC West: Los Angeles

NFC East: No one really

NFC Central: Barry Sanders

NFC West: Atlanta

For the most defensively weighted teams:

AFC East: No one really (the patriots are just offensively inept not

good on defense)

AFC Central: Pittsburgh

AFC West: San Diego

NFC East: New York

NFC Central: Chicago

NFC West: New Orleans

For the most defensively weighted teams:

NFC East: New York

The Giants' D is better than their O, but by a hair's breadth. The only thing they don't have on O is a superstar QB, but it's not like Simms is bad by any stretch of the imagination. The Giants are very well balanced, a powerhouse in every department.

Jets, Chargers & Saints are probably the most balanced teams in TSB by the above criteria and being average. Their offenses do not overshadow their defenses, nor do they really have any stand out players on either side of the ball.

If looking for a powerhouse team that has some strong point to balance its weak point and the Oilers come to mind straightaway. I mean, their defense is decent, but the offense (specifically the pass offense) outdistances the defenses' performance by a long shot. The Dolphins are kinda like that as well, but benefit from the T formation (granted, you could change the Oilers rush offense to a T...).

But the Vikings & Cowboys indeed are pretty mediocre.

For the most offensively weighted teams:

AFC East: Miami

AFC Central: Houston

AFC West: Los Angeles

NFC East: No one really

NFC Central: Barry Sanders

LOL! He is the team, isn't he? Once you figure out how to shut him down, then you have to watch for Fleet Feet Sneaky Peete (no need to worry about his arm).

Most average teams: Dallas and the Saints. I really don't think the saints D is that great.

Most Lopsided:

Defense:

PIT. Scoring with this team is at a major premium. The D sets up the scoring or long kick returns.

On the fringe: MIN, CHI, SD. Standout Wr's save MIN and CHI and SD ave great RB's

Offense: LA Rams The only real usable guy on D is Green at one of the worst spots. Whereas the offense is very potent as long as you make sure to run out of bounds with gary.

On the fringe: GB, IND, CLE, SEA. With these team its not so much that the offense is that good its that the defense is so bad by comparison.

please put down the crackpipe everybody. Houston is not average. If anything it's more well balanced towards the topside. Lo White maybe a fumbler, but he's good for me if he can get 7 yards and run out of bounds. Moon, well he and Hill cant be touched, not to undercut the other receivers. On top of that Matthews and Munchie in the Oline. Come on. Thats an awesome offense.

On D, Childress from the outside LB (even though he was a DT/DE), and Richard 'intercepto' johnson were all i needed.

Leebo

I think the most ballanced team is the 49ers... they're pretty good on both sides of the ball. I don't even need to mention their offense, but consider the D... You've got Ronnie Lot in the secondary, you have Charles Haley on the line, and Matt Millen at line backer just to name a few. These are all quality players.

The most unbalanced team is a little tougher. I'm of the opinion that the Stealers have a great D with no O; and the Oilers have the weakest D when compared to the strength of their O. Obviously, the strength of the Oiler's O is still quite adequate.