Finally started a season with TSB II...

Bleak5170

... and holy crap is it ever hard to run! In Week 13 against the lowly Cardinals, i struggled to get 50 yards by halftime. With an EXCELLENT Rodney Hampton! It's kind of cool though because i get much more realistic stats. I think i finished with 102 yards on 17 carries. Any back with less than 50 Max Speed though can't really run for anything.

yeah, i feel your pain

you are basically forced to change you playbooks in the SNES versions

of tecmo to run in the second half of the season.

the developers might have made it slightly to hard to run in the later

versions of the game after tecmo super bowl, because you can run

for 2000 yards in a season with any running back in the game, on

that one.

later

goommba88

yeah, i feel your pain

you are basically forced to change you playbooks in the SNES versions

of tecmo to run in the second half of the season.

the developers might have made it slightly to hard to run in the later

versions of the game after tecmo super bowl, because you can run

for 2000 yards in a season with any running back in the game, on

that one.

Actualy it gets worse - i meant to say week 3, not Week 13. :evil: It only seems to be TSB II though as running is ridiculously easy in TSB III -in fact it's kind of disgusting how easy it is to rack up major rushing yards in that game. I can only assume that when you play a season in TSB II that the default difficulty is Normal. I noticed i had no problem rushing in preseason games, but then i also noticed that the default difficulty for preseason is Easy.

• 6 months later...

This site inspired me to pull out the 'ol SNES and re-live better days in the history of football videogaming......namely TSB 2, as all the posts I'd been reading here about it's difficulty kind of lured me back......

I beat this version of the game to death back in the day, at least for the year or so before TSB III came out. But since getting back to it recently, I've found a way to make it much more challenging & realistic.

I've been playing on 3min quarters, 3-season mode, difficulty "hard", using run-oriented teams & can't believe some of the stuff I've encountered;

-there is no point in playing with fumbles "on" when playing CPU. I've found that my players fumble 5 or 6 times for every one time my CPU opponent will fumble.

-tough to be dynamic in terms of accumilating superior rushing stats. Whereas in all other versions of the game you can rack-up ridiculous yards-per-carry averages, I've been unable to avarage at least 15.0 YPC (which to me, is the Mendoza line of a star tecmo runningback) using Barry or Emmitt. Barry topped out at 3040 yards (on 14.1 ypc) in the 2nd season, the only time I went over 3g.

-can't say I ever remember losing to a CPU opponent before playing on 3min quarters......but using the '94 Cowboys, I was beaten in the divisional playoff round 23-17 by Detroit. Deceided to give it another go with the '92 Cowboys(better defense) in an official '92 season. Went 16-0 before suffering a worse playoff fate, 4 lost fumbles in a 35-14 loss to Minnesota!!! Emmitt picked up just 2200 yards on the year, I finished a dreadful 17th in total offense.

-I remember playing this game 10 years ago & being able to recover onside kicks most of the time. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it anymore, these days I'm lucky to get it back 1 out of every 12 attempts. What's the secret???

-I think the CPU is alot harder when you play 3min quarters, it seems easier to run the ball when playing 5min quarters. Also "official season mode" seems tougher to run on than 3-season mode.

-toughest NFL record to break playing 3min quarters: the interception record of 14. According to my old "tecmo geek log" I've never broke this record playing 5min quarters.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

there is a definite glitch in the seasonal NFL Records section of my game at least.......

I've broken my record for fewest rushing yards allowed in a season numerous times.......some of my teams have actually allowed negative yards rushing over the course of a full season.

Yet the records section refuses to record these results, sticking with the 49ers' 237 yard total I recorded almost 9 years ago.

Edited by hoth

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to run it, I had so many fumbles with Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith of all RB's but the challenging the factor is the reason it's my favorite of the 3 SNES versions.

I'll never forget my 1992 season. I was up 10-0 against the Bears with the Lions. Barry Sanders fumbled 4 TIMES in that game, and I lost 35-17. 2 of them ran back for TD's, then a pick 6, it was endless madness.

• 8 months later...

the memory in my cartridge finally failed, lost all my NFL Records.

i'm the original owner since '94, this is the first crash for this cart ever. that's a pretty great run I think.

the agony.

still don't think I'll go back to playing III, don't feel like having to fastforward through 50 seasons to get the Legends onto their teams.

I really need to get with the times and get into the new pc versions. they look great.