Button sensitivity

Bleak5170

This is directed at the console TSB players only. I have noticed that i have to press the buttons a lot harder when i'm playing TSB III. I know it's not my controller because every other game is fine, even TSB and TSB II. It's kind of a pain really because sometimes i try to pass and nothing happens and i get sacked. Not to mention my fingers get pretty sore after a while. Anybody else notice this?

This happens on emulators, as well as the console. Try playing an online game with lag and then tell me how much it annoys you. Maybe QBs with low Avoid Rush abilities have difficulty getting the ball off in time.

It's not so much getting sacked which bothers me. I just hate having to pound on the buttons to do anything - whether it's passing the ball or selecting a play. I've actually noticed this on current games as well - apparently it's a software thing. I had the same problem with NFL 2K3 on the Xbox. At first i thought it was just my game, but i actually read something about it in a review.

Really? I just hate getting sacked. :D Cortez Kennedy is my arch nemesis. Bryant Young on SF is a pain, too.

Maybe you need to hit the button a certain way. I have this copy machine at work that won't copy unless you hit it at a certain angle. ;) Maybe it's like that.

Oh don't get me started on copy machines. We have one here which has a mind of it's own. :roll:

But anyway, it's definitely a TSB III quirk. I guess i'll just have to live with it.

I don't mind the occasional sack - it's those games where you're running for your life on every play, which drive me nuts.

• 2 weeks later...
Really? I just hate getting sacked. ;) Cortez Kennedy is my arch nemesis. Bryant Young on SF is a pain, too.

Maybe you need to hit the button a certain way. I have this copy machine at work that won't copy unless you hit it at a certain angle. B) Maybe it's like that.

Oh don't get me started on copy machines. We have one here which has a mind of it's own. ;)

But anyway, it's definitely a TSB III quirk. I guess i'll just have to live with it.

I don't mind the occasional sack - it's those games where you're running for your life on every play, which drive me nuts.

I've noticed it too. I first noticed it on the emulator, which caused me to stop playing the emulator because I thought that was the cause of the delay (I noticed the delay most in Mike Tysons Punchout, I couldnt dodge Tysons punches because of the delay).

But when I fired up TSB3 on the SNES, I noticed the passing delay too. Drives me nuts. I know it's not overuse of the controller, because I played the NES a billion times more than the SNES.

I believe the reason they programmed it that way was to have different pass types. If you tap the controller very fast, you can get the quarterback to throw a moon ball. (it's very easy to do on an emulator)

I think there might even be something in the instructions manual regarding this.

I believe the reason they programmed it that way was to have different pass types. If you tap the controller very fast, you can get the quarterback to throw a moon ball. (it's very easy to do on an emulator)

I think there might even be something in the instructions manual regarding this.

I should add that i wasn't only referring to passing. There's a bit of a delay or something whenever i press a button - even if i'm just picking a play.

• 14 years later...

And here I come 14 years later ...

Playing on console, I have noticed a bit of a delay when selecting plays. Not a big deal and something easily gotten used to after a while. I don't find I have to press the buttons any harder when selecting a play however. 

Without a doubt there are times when I press B to pass while getting chased by linemen and I'm not able to throw, which usually ends in getting sacked. This is really noticeable especially because of how hair-trigger the passing is in original TSB. I do find it easier to get passes off if I don't allow linemen to get too close to me.

• 5 weeks later...

I play 99% of my TSB3 on a console, vs emulator, but always use a SNES controller.

I have not noticed having to push the buttons any harder on any given play.

However, the B button issue while passing is a common one.

I'm not sure if I included this in the introduction to TSB3 write up I did in 2014, but what the NFTGL refers to as the "B-button glitch" is not a glitch at all. This is something hard coded into the game that (assumption here) is stat based, and impacted by proximity to defenders, even those currently being grappled.

We first noticed this with Randall Cunningham. His speed caused him to get used a lot more aggressively as a runner and to avoid pass rushers while still trying to throw the ball. We noticed that for some reason he got B-button glitched a ton, compared to other passers.

We still do not know exactly what causes it (stat wise) but proximity to a defender is a big factor. This isn't a game or controller issue, so much as it is intended to present a "panic" feature to the QB position. (at least, that's how we interpret it.)