Top 5 Back-up Qbs

bgiadam

According to my draft sheet broken down my mathematic formula,

1. Steve Young - SF

2. Erik Wilhelm - Cincinatti

3. Andre Ware - Detroit

4. Mike Pagel - Cleveland

5. Jeff Hostetler - NY Giants

Other than Steve Young, the rest of the players on the list aren't much better than any of the other backups except they have running speeds of 25 as opposed to 13.

Only reason the Bengals kept Wilhelm all those years was because he was lefthanded, like Boomer Esiason, and the recievers were used to a lefthanded spin on the balls, or at least that's what I heard. Of course, that doesn't explain all the time in between Boomer's 2 stays in Cincinnati.

I did some research on Wilhelm...and there isn't much out there. He was basically a career backup, but I can't find his NFL career stats...

He was a college stud though. He has a bunch of passing records at Oregon State. In a game in 87' he piled up 480 yards of total offense.

I think he may be in an Arena Leauge right now, not sure....

• 3 months later...

You basically ran down the list of great backups there Rod. Young of course, but Ware is a beast. He is a vicious runner (ran back an onside for a TD with him once) and he can throw better than Peete. Hostetler always seems to mess me though.

I don't like some of those backups though. McMahon, aggh. I don't know about Fourcade, but he is better than Walsh. Same with Hugh Millen, not good, but better than Miller. Trudeau I could live without. I hate Vlasic. He tempts you, but BJ is so much better, especially given the offensive personnel of the Chargers.

The guy I'm surprised no one has mentioned, though, is Chuck Long. This guy is a beast. I hung 28 on the 49ers with him in a season game, and in another game, my friend Mike completed like 11 of 13 at one point. Sure he has good people around him, but he's better than Everett I think.

I actually remember watching gannon in '91, and he started off the season absolutely spectacular but ended up losing his starting job to Sean Salisbury, the worst QB I have ever seen (up until Spergon Wynn. Forget about trying to break Lou Gerigh's hit streak, it would be more difficult to do worse than Spergon Wynn. THAT is the most impossible thing to do in sports). But yeah, Gannon was young, and he showed such promise during that season that I can't believe the Vikings didn't stick with him. I believe we traded him to Washington after that season, or let him leave in FA. Then after that he went to KC and seemed to have great success there, although for some reason the inept Marty Schottenheimer thought Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac had more potential. Although Warren Moon was a definite upgrade from Wade Wilson/Rich Gannon/Jim McMahon/Sean Salisbury, I was always upset that we let go of Gannon because you could tell watching him in '91 that he had potential.

Of the Wade Wilson/Rich Gannon/Jim McMahon/Sean Salisbury quartet, I think you would have to say Rich Gannon has had the best career followed by Sean Salisbury's stint on BattleBots.

however, out of the 4, Jim McMahon is the only one to win a superbowl...in a large part due to being a member of the HANDS DOWN greatest team in NFL history. Of course I'm talking about the 1985 Chicago Bears.

I always love to hear when other people say the 1985 bears are the best ever. last spring I wrote my english term paper on why the 85 bears are the best team ever and not the 72 dolphins and I got 247 or 248 out of 250 possible so my prof must have agreed. not only that but I changed the minds of my classmates with the oral presentation we had to do.

scott