Also Figured Out TSB III In-Game Player Pics, Mostly

cuppettcj

I mistakenly posted this in the Tecmo Hacking Documentation forum first, for which I apologize. I had not read the forum description completely. Anyway...

Like CNFLPresident, I've also figured out where in the ROM the in-game photos are, and it seems pretty easy to modify them, if one happens to be familiar with Tile Layer Pro. Unfortunately, being a ROM hacking novice, I'm not. My problem is changing the palette so that it correctly displays the photos, and also changing the colors of the imported bitmap so that it displays in the game properly. I've discovered that simply resizing a photo to 24 X 32 pixels, converting the colors to greyscale, and then importing the pieces of the photo into the ROM makes the pictures turn out horribly. I've e-mailed CNFLPresident to try and get him to divulge his secrets, but as of yet I've received no reply (not that I can blame him, being in Guam and all). So I thought maybe someone here on this board could finish the task that I've started.

Here's the deal - the first tile for the first picture (Jim Kelly) begins on offset 00100000. There are 1,020 tiles in all, and the last 12 tiles belong to the blank picture. Each tile consists of 64 pixels in an 8 X 8 configuration. The tiles are arranged from left to right, top to bottom like so:

X X X

X X X

X X X

X X X

(each 'X' represents a tile)

Therefore, just like CNFLPresident said, each picture is 24 X 32 pixels. Now it's just a matter of converting the picture you want to import into the proper format, breaking it into tiles (or rows of tiles), and then importing them using Tile Layer Pro. Or, at the very least, one can use this information to just copy and paste the blank picture over all the others, so that at least no player has the wrong picture.

• 12 years later...