worst team

biw314

What's the worst team in Tecmo?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What's the worst team in Tecmo?

• Colts
    • Patriots
    • Cardinals

The Cardinals have Johnny Johnson and the Safety Duo of Lonnie Young and Tim McDonald. They easily outclass the Colts. Albert Bentley is awesome because of his 63 receptions number, but otherwise Johnny J is faster.

I would agree that the Colts D is very very bad but D doesn't concern me as much as offense in Tecmo. As long as you can put up points you are going to stop the other team eventually. The Pats have by far the worst offense in the game. Grogan and Stephens are the worst starters in their respected positions in the game. The Pats also have a receiver class that is far below average with exception to Marv Cook. The Colts have pretty good receivers and Albert Bentley in the backfield. Advantage Indianapolis. I have always felt that the Pats were the worst team in the game and that is how I voted this time as well.

I recently played a Colts season against my friend Mike (who sucked back then) and still lost 5 games. PIT was insane, the Bills were insane, and the Raiders were no fun. It was all I could do to beat the Bills once. The padding in the Colts' schedule is heftier than a pound of tissue in a 12-year-old's bra, and their offense is deceptively weak.

Bentley is your one back. Better keep him healthy, because without him, you have no better than 50 MS TOPS from any potential RB on your offense, and chances are you will gut your receiving corps in so doing (since your two best WRs are half of your "fast" RB pool, and another is your KR/PR). The only reason my team was afloat at all that season was because the entire offense was in EXCELLENT in some weeks, and at no time past Week 3 were less than 3 players on my starting roster in EXCELLENT, until my playoff loss. Ken Clark saved my running game by being in EXCELLENT for more than 6 weeks, but he's a bruising back and doesn't have Bentley's breakaway speed and talent. Once Bentley goes down (and he will, since he is the key player on the team and you will have to go to him) this offense runs more on luck than anything else, rather like New England without Marv Cook (as he is their one hope as well).

George blows. He is slow as ****. He rides the bench. Trudeau is Marc Wilson's long-lost twin brother, and this team relies on bomb passes to score if Bentley is not available, or being stopped. They have basically no YAC ability, so short passing is often unproductive on 3rd down. The only thing the Colts really have on NE is their two starting WRs, and some depth. That's it.

As far as defense goes, IND has none. NE has a couple of stars who can persuade you from throwing it up to your best receiver every down. You can actually run your FBs against the Colts, because none but 3 or 4 players at a given time can touch you without flying in the other direction. I saw maybe 3 interceptions all season long by the Colts defense against about 100 deep passes thrown in single and double coverage, and that was overachievement in the extreme (and these are inflated by some iffy QBs on the schedule). Defense is prayer with the Colts, but you can get something good out of the Patriots' three stars.

To me, having a great lineman, a linebacker, and a cornerback who can do something on defense is more than worth giving up some juice from the WRs. I'm not angry or outraged or anything :? but trying to stop Bo Jackson with Fredd Young is not fun. Grogan can be benched. The Colts' defense can't.

Other bad teams and why they don't stack up to the Colts and Patriots

Jets

Though they have Blair Thomas as their running back and only Al Toon as an offensive star, they have a couple of defensive stars in Dennis Byrd, Kyle Clifton, and Erik McMillian. They are often overlooked because they are only the third worst team in their division.

Cardinals

The awful playbook often masks that the Cardinals aren't the worst team in the world, just the worst coached. Johnny Johnson is a decent RB and the painfully slow Ricky Prohel will catch anything. The Cardinal's D is what helps though as Ken Harvey and Tim McDonald are stars while Lonnie Young has the freakish powers of 69 running speed.

Browns

The Browns are quite dreadful but still are ahead of the Colts and Pats. QB Browns (a.k.a Bernie Kosar) isn't that great of a QB, but is pretty good. The rest of the offense is SLOW with W. Slaughter and Metcalf topping out at 38 MS. Mike Johnson is the only defender worth using on the team but he is pretty good.

Buccaneers

The Bucs are often labeled as the worst team on the rom, but this isn't true at all. Their D is basically Wayne Haddix and 10 organ donors. Haddix is good enough that he can be a one-man defense though. Gary Anderson is a pretty good RB and the secret weapon is the multi-dimensional Vinny Testeverde. Vinny will balloon passes with his lack of passing speed but what is often overlooked is his 31 MS tying him with Rodney Peete as the second fastest QB on the rom.

Seahawks

Seattle also is up there in terms of suckiness. Dave Kreig has good accuracy but has Gorgon like passing speed. The running game isn't there, and best receiver is RB John L. Williams. Jacob Green is a defensive machine, but is a DL-man. The rest of the defense is terrible, except for Nesby Glasgow, who is average. You might have to rate these guys as worse than the Patriots.

The Broncos don't belong in the same sentence as the pats or colts. Elway has bad PC, but has feet and a bullet for an arm. Mark Jackson and Vance Johson are an above average recieving tandem, and Bobby Humphrey is one of the top 5 speed backs in the game.

Defensively they could use work, esp at CB, but Mecklenburg/Fletcher/Smith are three usable players, and Fletcher is a hellafied blitzer.

Denver is a mid-range team at best, but doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the bottom of the list.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot how much I hate the Seahawks. They are by far my least favorite team in the game. I would put them above the patriots by a sliver.

I think that the Jets are one of the most underrated teams in the game. Cliffton, Byrd, McMillian... that is a quality defense. Toon, Moore, Boyer, and McNeil form a quality recieving group, and Blair Thomas is adequate.

As far as Denver, they are nowhere near the bottom teams.

although Atlanta isn't quite as bad as New England, Seattle, or Indianapolis, they are easily my least favorite team. They don't have a quarterback that can get Rison the ball and I don't even think Deion is that good. He has no hitting power and can't pick off balls that well.

I have played with these guys a lot (just finished a MAN season with them recently) and here are my observations:

1. Rison BLOWS. He almost never goes up for the jump ball, no matter where it is. He allows the D to pick off the ball if he and a DB are waiting on the X. He has some definite fumblitis (fumbled away my Super Bowl). He _looks_ like a good receiver, but he really sucks. He is a decent RB and an OK PR though...

2. Shawn Collins is everything Rison should be. He is fast, he gets the jump ball, has great hands, works hard, runs hard, and doesn't fumble. Don't let the "ratings" deceive you, Collins is far superior to "Bad Mooning" Rison. He is the prototype game-breaking deep receiver. I have won at least 3 MAN games in the final 2 minutes because of Shawn Collins and his outstanding play, whereas I have lost at least 3 MAN games because Rison underachieves.

3. Broussard is a good KR, and he can run and catch some. Rozier can run some. Beyond that, it's hit or miss.

4. Miller sucks. Bench him for Hugh Millen. Miller will tempt you, but Millen will never betray you. Millen throws much better jump balls, and he has better control over his passes.

5. The Falcons' special teams has Deion, and he is an absolute terror. He can safety a slow MAN returner if he is in EXCELLENT. Beyond that there isn't much though.

6. There are three guys on D that I have noted as having skills. Deion is great at stopping the run (but gives up deep passes) and can pick off some, Tuggle can do a little bit of everything, and Scott Case has a very sweet habit of batting down jump balls and other things that go over his head. Beyond that, it's hit or miss on a given Sunday.

7. These guys play better than the sum of their parts. Broussard is a cog when Millen is tossing to him, and Shawn Collins is unstoppable inside of 2 minutes. These guys win close games and finish the job when they have the lead (except for Andre "I only win Super Bowls with Green Bay" Rison).

Deion alone is better than the entire Colts D. Hugh Millen and Shawn Collins are Dave Krieg to Brian Blades (only better), and they have some nice speed and depth at RB (especially if you rotate Rison into the backfield). These guys are at least head (if not shoulders) over the other **** teams in the game.

• 1 month later...

anyone who says the pats are the worst team obviously has not played as them or doesn't know how to harness their ability.

Stephens is a good RB, irving fryar is upper tier WR and dykes is mediocre, GROGAN is a god of course, he throws it where it needs to be (30 yards over their head, it WILL be caught) and marv cook is a great great TE. Their defense is pretty good. the duo of Tippet and Lippet is feared when fellow tecmoers take my Pats on. I'm currently making a list of the teams from best to worst (been done a million times i know) but the Pats will probably be about 20 or so...so NO MORE PATRIOT BASHING

Colts suck, Cards suck, Cowboys suck

1. Rison BLOWS. He almost never goes up for the jump ball, no matter where it is. He allows the D to pick off the ball if he and a DB are waiting on the X. He has some definite fumblitis (fumbled away my Super Bowl). He _looks_ like a good receiver, but he really sucks. He is a decent RB and an OK PR though...

I don't quite agree with such a harsh assesment of Rison. Although, the problem still remains on getting him the ball. In my opinion, he's not good enough that he can catch anything in sight like Rice or any of the Houston recievers. That and no one can catch a ball that's thrown 15 yards beyond your reciever either. Although, he does tackle the intercepting DBs well. Also, I never really had much trouble getting him to jump.

Shawn Collins is very good, probably better than his stats... Andre Rison does seem to play a little below his stats, but he is still one of the better in the game... besides, but him some slack. His girlfriend burned down his house about that time.

Some wide recievers just don't jump though. Namely Ricky Proehl. The man is glued to the ground.