Tecmo Terminology

Pricetag

Did playing TSB cause you to come up with your own TSB-based lingo? It did with my friends and I. Here are a few of the terms we used.

gangster (noun): any of the handful of players who were true gamebreakers. These included Bo Jackson, QB Eagles, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, etc. We often played seasons under the "no gangster" rule, where players couldn't control teams that had one or more gangsters.

bust (verb): when the defensive team calls the same play as the offensive team.

ravage (verb): when a defensive player tackles an offensive player over and over after the initial tackle.

dar (verb): in multiplayer seasons, when one of the human players takes an inordinate amount of time to play his game, holding up the rest of the group. Named for Jeff Dar, an infamous staller.

That's all I can remember for right now. Does anyone else have anything to share?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one term my friend made up was:

reciever patrol

referring to the technique when a defensive player zizags and circles

the field while covering passes.

at one point i was so good at it with some teams he would say i was

going on "reciever patrol" and he could get absolulty nothing going

on in the air. :evil:

later

goommba88

-Don't forget everyone's favorite "lurch" (or as I call it, the bitch defense)

-Popcorn-when a ball carrier runs over a defender (breaking the lockup without a fight)

-Rocket rules- This one is more local, so I doubt anyone's heard of this. It's when you and a human opponent play as predominant passing teams (or at least spread teams) (Oilers, 49ers, Bills, Broncos, etc).

Every offensive play is a pass play and the defense has to guess a running play

-JackHammer Rules-polar opposite of rocket. The two players use predominate rush teams (Lions, Bears, Chiefs, Giants, Raiders, etc) and offense runs, defense guesses pass.

-Jackassing-when your opponent calls the same offensive play over and over (even if it is working for him)

-Jailbreak-when the opponent guesses your play but you still manage to gain positive yardage

The "Zoom for 2 play"- This is when you're in your own endzone, you throw it, the zoom screen of a defender jumping to block your pass comes up, he blocks it, and the ball goes outta bounds, and somehow a safety is called (btw, pray that this doesn't happen in your favor when playing a friend and it costs him the game in OT. It happened to me once and he broke so much shit afterwards)

Tecmo Queer-This is someone who crows about how good he is, even though his main experience is playing as the 49ers against some sub-standard team in preseason mode and chucking it to Rice every play, then of course you bitch-slap him when you go head to head.

metcalfing- the act of switching players one position to another and back. Named after Eric Metcalf. Also known as 'Detroiting'.

Red Beans and Rice- doing nothing but throwing the ball downfield to your marquee receiver on every play. Named for Jerry Rice, it is possible to metcalf and rice in the same play.

turd in the toilet- playing against your friend as the weakest team on his schedule.

emanuel- must be sung in an accapela, at the end of the game when tossing a hail mary praying for a score.

lurching- also known as, the bob nelson coat tie, crap, cheating, bullshit.

the process of selecting the NT and tapping the pad to tackle quickly before the snap in order to tackle your opponent as the ball is snapped.

This is legal if the gap is created by the pulling offensive linemen.

suicide- blitzing with your player on every play, regarless of the open receiver running downfield.

trudeaud- named for the IND QB from the original tecmo bowl and his lack of passing skills. This refers to a game in which you get stuck with a horrible QB against a friend.

Tecmo Gods- Who to praise for the miraculous play or get angry at for random bullshit that destroys your perfect season.

iceline- a quick pass, followed by a zingy-fast noise completed to a receiver in triple coverage.

LOOOOOBBBB- Also called 'the Grogan'. That slow ass pass that hangs in the air five years before its caught. (Looks like an albatross taking off.)

Bamback- The Heyward's, Fennerty's, and Mack's of the world who just beat the shit out of you.

Zigzag- running up and down the screen to avoid the computer tackler.

shadowing- running down field with the open reciever.

spying- not to be confused with shadowing. This is accomplished by running off screen with the receiver and stopping so that the blinker shows, but you are close enough to run back to make the tackle or go for a pick.

monkeyshit- consuming the clock on one long god forsaken drive. (The Saints are gods at this!)

hmmm hope this covers a lot of them...

Leebo

Cheating same as spying... when a player isn't actually covering the far receiver, he is "cheating up".

Bo'shit. self explanitory

Illegitamate TD if the defender can tackle the person who scored before the cinematic comes...the touchdown does not count...but it really does... don't ask... basically you just rub it in the other opponents face that you tackled his player which makes his score "illegit"

Moonwalk The oilers default QB sneak... the term was coined by Moonwalk from this board.

juicing the act of hitting buttons fast in attempt to make popcorn.

juiced a player in excellent...

endzone glitch the 98% chance that a pass will be incomplete if the player is in the back of the endzone running.

Corpsey McCarcrash nickname for Derrick Thomas

The legacy of all players named Hill theory that all players with the last name hill can pull through at clutch moments.

Wife beater nickname for warren moon.

Gunnar Esiason Award award given to the last place player in the annual Tecmo Super Bash.

moonwalk...help me out here...

I just thought of another one:

Mr. Helpful: When, on defense, you're not close enough to a receiver to defend the pass, but you are close enough to make a quick tackle after the catch, and the CPU makes your guy jump or dive, allowing the receiver to run away from you.

hmmmmm

in the "C" when the player scoring the touchdown stops in the middle of the "C" in TECMO. this makes the touchdown more legit in the way that getting tackled makes it less legit. thus, an in the "C" TD in which the player gets tackled has normal legitimacy because they cancel. don't ask questions.

necromancer jerry rice, when he uses his dark powers to get a cutscene for a catch despite the 'x' of the throw being several (up to 5) yards from his nearest pixel. sometimes other receivers like ellard gain necromancer apprentice status.

cpu solo just about the most embarrassing thing in tecmo, it when one computer controlled player grapples and defeats a human controlled player. very rare, sometimes happens in seasons against "juiced" (see above) defenders.

i'm sure there will be more tecmo this weekend, then i'll remember some others

Zigzag- running up and down the screen to avoid the computer tackler.

We now call this the Jon-n-weave after my play/room mate who continues to do this in TSBIII (i did indeed do this with the original, but felt it detrimental to a season seeking regular stats, as with the TCS).

God Gil Fenerty

We see this as G/Rod Woodson for obvious reasons. Gil definitely is good at returning kicks & punts, but we have found it doesn't matter who is in that position, as long as they wear the black and gold they are a danger to every defensive special teamer out there.

I think the lurch is universally recognized.

Autodive: Previously described as Mr. Helpful.

Dive of Death: When you cutscene to the double JJ, then the game makes you autodive. Usually results in a TD.

Toi Cook Coverage: When a defender is getting constantly hammered by passes to the same receiver over and over again.

-so: An honorific used with unbelievable players (from "Jackso" seen in the play screen above too many runs). Examples: Woodso, Johnso, Fulcherso.

Jacksodomy: Whenever Jackso rips...you know what I mean.

I see that a lot of folks call it "popcorn" when a RB can run through a defender without engaging him. Is it also called this when a defensive player like LT gets in excellent condition and can run over QBs without diving or engaging them?

Beacuse my friends and I noticed this most with LT, we decided the player was coked up when in a super-ridiculous state of excellent. This happens a lot after a great player recovers a fumble... they become unstoppable and can popcorn everyone in sight.

So L.T.'s drug habit became the source of our term.

• 2 years later...
Illegitamate TD if the defender can tackle the person who scored before the cinematic comes...the touchdown does not count...but it really does... don't ask... basically you just rub it in the other opponents face that you tackled his player which makes his score "illegit"

Is this a reference to the SNES tecmo? I don't remember anything like this in the NES version.

Can we extend this to online play too?

Malferdsed What you've been when someone has chosen 97% running plays on you with a great running team

Restavaged Also known as Sconniealed. JJ'd to death by a subpar player who has one offensive weopen, the Prayer

Sobied He's entered your league, and before you know it he's suggesting changes to the ROM and TSBGOD has followed him to your league's board to continue the feud.