Tecmo Super Bowl for GBA... why not?

TrekCycling

I've never understood why Tecmo doesn't sell this thing whereever they can. It's so popular that if there's a platform that it would "fit" on, they should put out the game and rake in the money. There's such a large cult fan base, that it's a no brainer. That said, I don't understand why they haven't jumped on the Gameboy Advance. Madden sucks for the GBA. There's basically a sports vaccuum on this wonderful system (especially the SP) and some of us old school gamers would pay good money for even something as simple as a straight NES port of TSB. At least I would.

yea i completely agree with you, on the gba it would be the second coming....its the ideal place for it, because it could retain its natural feel and everything, without having to be dogged about not being up to graphical par with others sports games...

• 2 weeks later...

TrekCycling said:

"some of us old school gamers would pay good money for even something as simple as a straight NES port of TSB. At least I would."

This is pretty common knowledge, but in case you didn't know, you can already play TSB on the GBA.... or just about any NES game, in fact. Just buy a Flash Card and download PocketNes and a TSB Rom. Flash Card's can get rather expensive, but you did say you were willing to pay "good money" for the opportunity.

As for a port of Tecmo Bowl that actually takes advantage of the GBA's capabilities, then I'm afraid there's no easy answers.

GBA would be the only platform TSB could make a return on, IMO. The current console systems are just too powerful. It would be too tempting for the developers to utilize this to add stuff, and in the end, what we would get would not be TSB. That happened in the PSX version of the game.

TSB would crush the competition on GBA if they ever developed it, though. I know I'd wear that sucker out, if I had it. There are no good sports games for it.

• 2 weeks later...
TrekCycling said:

This is pretty common knowledge, but in case you didn't know, you can already play TSB on the GBA.... or just about any NES game, in fact. Just buy a Flash Card and download PocketNes and a TSB Rom. Flash Card's can get rather expensive, but you did say you were willing to pay "good money" for the opportunity.

Yeah, I know. Three problems. #1 - Getting the card. #2 - I use Linux so I'm not sure how I'd upload the ROM. #3 - Isn't the screen stretched or something like that?

TrekCycling said:

"Yeah, I know. Three problems. #1 - Getting the card. #2 - I use Linux so I'm not sure how I'd upload the ROM. #3 - Isn't the screen stretched or something like that?"

Problems addressed in their listed order:

1. Yeah, it might be harder to get your hands on one of these cards these days, what with Nintendo tightening its grip around import stores like Lik-Sang. I managed to get mine about a year ago through (if I remember correctly) a UK import store and a Hong Kong import store. I ordered 2 Flash Cards, because (even though it was unlikely) if the opportunity to ever play TSB against another player on GBA came up, they'd need a cartridge to play too. Unfortunately, although PocketNes does allow 2-player NES games to be downloaded into the 2nd GBA's internal memory, TSB's file size is too large to fit. Through a series of events, I actually ended up with 4 GBA Flash Cards (for the price of 2).... 4 cartridges full of NES goodness.

2. I use Windows, so I don't know if I can answer this one. I purchased a Flash Card Linker set with the cartridges themselves. The Linker set was essentially a cable that links from the GBA to the PC's USB port. The set came with a CD that housed the software for downloading Roms to the cartridge. If you look around on GBA development sites, you can probably download the software from there, just to see if it will work. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there's a version of the software that works with Linux.

3. Not necessarily. PocketNes allows for 3 options (I think) in regards to image presentation.

If I remember correctly, first you have the option to simply leave the screen at its original aspect ratio. However, this makes it so that the top, bottom, or top and bottom of the screen is not visible at any given time during the gameplay. You have the option of determining which part of the screen is left visible by scrolling the image up and down with the L and R buttons (since these would not be used for normal gameplay). You can play the game this way, and you do get a bigger image of the on-the-field action, but you also miss out on any graphics that extend beyond the sidelines (unless you like trying to manipulate the screen-scrolling while you attempt to play.... Yeah!!!! Added challenge!!!!) This graphic option is not really ideal and I've rarely played a game of TSB in this way.

Second, you can opt to stretch the image to fit the dimensions of the GBA's screen (much as you would a TV program formatted for a standard television on a widescreen TV). This actually looks pretty damn good and the game retains its playability. I do not know how the stretched image would look, however, if you were to play TSB on a GameBoy Player. The image may look distorted if blown up to the size of a standard TV screen. As it is, it works perfectly for the small size of the GBA screen.

Third, you can choose from a combination of the other 2 options. You can stretch the background image to fit the aspect ratio of the GBA screen, while scaling the sprites to their normal size. In gameplay terms, this effectively makes it so that the players are bigger relative to the field than they would be in a normal game of TSB. Like the previous option, the game is completely playable in this mode. I'll sometimes choose this option if viewing conditions aren't optimal and I need to see bigger players, and sometimes I'll do it just as a change of pace.

As you can see, the second and third options work pretty well. TSB is BY FAR more playable on the GBA than any other sports game I have tried on it. It's funny that a decade-old NES game (that was not even designed for the system) plays way better than the current incarnation of Madden that you can pick up for the GBA. It's almost like Tecmo knew in advance what the limitations of the GBA were going to be. The character sprites are large enough to see, but also small enough to allow you to see a significant portion of the field. The pastel colors actually are to TSB's benefit on the GBA, because of the way the screen tends to make games look darker than they really are. I imagine that this wouldn't have been a problem though, anyway, with the SP.

If you have any more questions, just let me know.

It still amazes me that I spent over $100 on those cartridges without really even being sure if I'd be able to get TSB to work on my GBA.

• 5 weeks later...

I also think they should. i even posted a topic that no one replied to. Here it is again.

Hello fellow Tecmo Bowl fans.

My name is Jodecideion and I am a tecmo bowl fan. Since the last Real tecmo bowl game, "Tecmo Super Bowl for the SnES". I have not played or bought any other football game. i believe now is the time for Tecmo bowl to make is over due comeback. In the the form of Tecmo Bowl 2004 for the Gameboy Advance SP. THe gameboy advance is in essence a Portable SNES. Nintendo themselves is using this system to bring back all the great Snes games. So a new generation of game players can play all of those classic games. I think Tecmo should game a brand new game for the gameboy advance. The game will make endless amount of money quickier than all present and future Tecmo games.

This is way.

Use the same engine as the Tecmo Super Bowl game for the SNES.

Updated rosters of current nfl seasons.

Same 8 plays selection 4 offense and 4 defense.

Add more plays to choose from out of playbook

More Tecmo cinema during game play.

by using link cable allows for vs mode.

Create a team options.

Nintendo E-reader allows uploading future upgrades for team rosters, plays uniforms, etc etc.

By using the old game as the foundation.

The time to develope game we be quick.

The Gameboy Advance is in more homes then any other videogame hardware.

More user mean more future purchasers.

Temco should not let this golden moment pass them by. Tecmo Bowl needs to come back and now. Here is all the information you need. Just do it. If you agree please add your 2 cents.

thank you

That was the post I placed on the Tecmo Bowl message board at the Tecmo.com site. I got this reply;

The NFL won't license Tecmo to make a new game. Thus, at this time, the updated rosters are not possible.

Which makes it hard to believe with all these other Nfl football games coming out. So then I came up with this idea.

I present

Tecmo Fantasy Football for the Gameboy advance. Remember on the very first Tecmo Bowl. How you had real players, but not real teams. Let's us take it back to that. How about a game where you get to take full control.

Tecmo Fantasy Football:

12 orignally created teams. Each Team using the various offenses Football.

With 2 memory slots to custom create a Football.

Create Full Rosters of 26 players.

Starting Offense, Defense, Kicker, Punter, Return man. Plus 8 additional players to feel injuries.

Design team colors and Mascots

Pick from the various Real Football formations, Run and Shoot, Option, Power I etc. etc.

pick Defense Formation 3-4 or 4-3

Design 8 offensive plays

Include all the gameplay elements of Tecmo Bowl that made it the greatiest Football game ever.

Player health rating from bad to excellent.

Players getting hurt.

When design players for your team give limit player attributes. Players will gain experience points by stats the gain during a season.

12 teams in 13 game season. plus 2 extra games for playoffs.

Three 4 team divisions. 3 leaders go to playoffs with 1 wild card.

allow players to set up leagues with their friends. by use Link cable.

I could go on and on. Just look at some of the games already out. A group of them are doing these same things I'm talking about.

I know If Tecmo wanted to make this game they could, and if not let someone who want to do it.

I'm new to this site so I understand my idea is not ground breaking. If we all feel this way about Tecmo Bowl isn't there something we can do about it.

thank you

• 16 years later...

I stand in agreement.  Although if we're talking a remake of the NES version (based on the 1991 season) for the Game Boy Advance, then one area they need to take advantage of is the GBA's graphics and sound.  Teams like Kansas City, Chicago, Denver and Atlanta being shown both on the field and in cutscenes in their full, official uniforms (with corresponding home and away color schemes [including helmet colors, with stripes where appropriate]) that were in use at the time. So kind of like they did with TSB for the Super Nintendo.  So, I think that it should be based on (and play like) the NES version, but have SNES-style graphics and sound.  Another feature that could be included (I think it's worth considering, anyhow) would be a player editor, like Tecmo Super Bowl 3: Final Edition for the SNES.  Although if that were included, one suggestion I have would be the ability to put in a full first name, instead of an initial.

Edited by CJRich