Sign in to follow this  
Nameless Loser

I HATE KEN GRIFFEY JR PRESENTS MLB

This game has literally random hitting! I can hit 4 runs in one inning and then hit absolutely nothing in any other inning, despite the fact that the pitchers go all 9 innings the way we play it. This game makes Tecmo look totally logical and deterministic. The ball travels farther on hits of changeups than fastballs!!!

WE NEED BETTER BASEBALL GAMES (something where you can both strike a guy out on a semiregular basis and hits actually have some pattern). I think Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 is so much better but Infection doesn't like it (he hates the fact that pitchers actually have control over what happens).

I hate it because it remains the only baseball game I can't beat my best friend at, which sucks because other than baseball games he is superior to me in everything else. well nba jam is a toss-up but I couldn't stand playing ken griffey jr baseball because I sucked at it and it didn't have real players. I suggest super bases loaded 3 license to steal for SNES and there are a lot of good ones for NES but I really suggest baseball simulator 1000. good game

scott

I'm really enjoying Microsoft Baseball 2001 for PC, if you could find it anywhere. It's out of print and unsupported, but it has the Baseball Mogul engine and pretty good gameplay, although it acts more like a sim than you are probably used to and could be slightly difficult to pick up right away. I find it to be the most balance between a sim and an arcade game, and that's where I want it, easy enough to pick up and play for me, but not so crazy as to let the offense score 25 runs a game. If you're stuck to consoles, Super Baseball Simulator has to be the way to go, unfortunately.

Griffey's Winning Run looks great, but somehow the corny player names bug me. A game doesn't need a full license to be good, but bad imitations suck.

Super Baseball Sim plays a decent game, but it's too cutesy for me. I also wish pitchers would last more than a few innings.

For pure arcade fun, I like Super Baseball 2020. Buying player upgrades during the game is cool.

I still think my favorite baseball game was the orig bases loaded for NES and that had fake names. the difference is that they actually sounded like they could be real most of the time

scott

those griffey games are washed up, just like the real player.

try Baseball Stars and Bad News Baseball for NES....those are the only baseball games I'll play.....wait, Dusty Diamond and Basewars are pretty cool too.

WHOA NOW!!! HOLD ON!!!! DEM'S FIGHTIN WOIDS!!!! :lol::?:?

I am here today to defend the honor of a great game, Ken Griffey Jr Presents Major League Baseball.

I would NOT say that it's TOTALLY random hitting.

1. At least if you swing early you pull, if you swing late you hit opposite field, and you can even get the timing down to hit back up the middle.

2. I truly believe that almost every hitter has at least one, let's call it a scenario, where he has an extremely high success rate at getting a hit. The factors in this scenario are where you stand in the batters box, the timing of your swing, the handedness of the pitcher/hitter, the placement/speed/movement of the pitch, and ....okay I think that's it. It takes some time to get to know each hitter on your team and find his "sweet spot." It could be he likes hitting balls that come in on his hands to the opposite field, it could be that he only hits fastballs hard, or it could be that he likes to hit off the end of the bat. To get to know the hitters and to get to know the pitchers patterns and then to execute your swing is one of the joys of this game to me. I feel like I am more successful at the plate when I execute which is exactly what should happen in a video game in my opinion.

3. It is impossible to totally eliminate randomness from video game baseball. How does ANY video game "decide" that you hit a home run or not? I wish I could further explain my point, but I have limited intelligence.

MMM. Paste yummy. :?

WHOA NOW!!! HOLD ON!!!! DEM'S FIGHTIN WOIDS!!!! :lol::?:?

I am here today to defend the honor of a great game, Ken Griffey Jr Presents Major League Baseball.

I would NOT say that it's TOTALLY random hitting.

1. At least if you swing early you pull, if you swing late you hit opposite field, and you can even get the timing down to hit back up the middle.

2. I truly believe that almost every hitter has at least one, let's call it a scenario, where he has an extremely high success rate at getting a hit. The factors in this scenario are where you stand in the batters box, the timing of your swing, the handedness of the pitcher/hitter, the placement/speed/movement of the pitch, and ....okay I think that's it. It takes some time to get to know each hitter on your team and find his "sweet spot." It could be he likes hitting balls that come in on his hands to the opposite field, it could be that he only hits fastballs hard, or it could be that he likes to hit off the end of the bat. To get to know the hitters and to get to know the pitchers patterns and then to execute your swing is one of the joys of this game to me. I feel like I am more successful at the plate when I execute which is exactly what should happen in a video game in my opinion.

3. It is impossible to totally eliminate randomness from video game baseball. How does ANY video game "decide" that you hit a home run or not? I wish I could further explain my point, but I have limited intelligence.

MMM. Paste yummy. :?

Amen

The hitting is random enough in the power of it, to where the only thing that really matters is what hitter is up at the plate. You can get direction on it, but I have seen too many fastballs that dribble in the infield after getting crushed by the batsman to think that the hitting is something you control a lot. The Orioles just can't beat the Braves, no matter how well Mussina pitches - the Braves' hitters can take an inside pitch that would break the bat, and send it out of the park!

When you play against the CPU, for instance, they always seem to get a home run in the late innings, no matter what you try. I have found that it is the same way for both MAN teams. It doesn't matter where the pitch is, they just smack one out of there in those late innings when they weren't doing anything in the previous four or five innings.

Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 is not random - if you find a fastball over the plate, it is gone if you have a power hitter, and it's going to the fence otherwise. If you hit it with the sweet spot, it's going to do a lot better than if you hit it with the inside of the bat.

First of all, I have never noticed that homers are more likely later in games.

Secondly, don't fastballs get ground balls in real baseball? Since KGJPMLB doesn't have "choppers" I guess they would have to be ground balls.

Finally, this game is NOT realistic. If a perfect reflection of MLB is what you're looking for, this is not the game for you. This game lives in a world where there are no errors (at least not scored errors), where everyone's sweet spot is on a different place on the bat - you just have to find it, where control pitchers rule and fastball pitchers get hammered, where catchers peg the ball to catch fast basestealers yet throw slowly to catch slow runners - thus allowing steals to the slowest players, where the third base coach is always waving the runners around regardless of the situation, where the most common out is a soft line drive to an infielder, etc etc etc.

Typically the first homer (if any) comes in 2-4, while the second homer is in the 7th or the 8th. The second homer comes with regularity but the first depends on your team.

Today, actually, Andy Petitte (sp?) threw a fastball which was taken out for the only earned run he gave up in the game. _If_ you hit the ball straight on it will be out of there, it's just that it's tougher to get the angle on a fastball on the knees going at 95.

Tecmo isn't picture-perfect realistic (Rod Woodson) but it's still a great game. Ken Griffey's unrealism mostly stems from the fact that

The most common out is the soft line drive, hitting things down the middle

No errors

Tough to figure out how to hit with each hitter

and this is why the game is so sucky to me.

Although I thought that fastball pitchers were better than control pitchers, as the fastballs always seem to become infield dribbles...

I just happened to stumble across this topic in a Google search related to Ken Griffey baseball. 15.5 years have passed since my post here and my opinion hasn’t changed - the Ken Griffey baseball games are still not fun to play and Bad News Baseball is still king!

The only thing I can add to the topic is that Super Mega Baseball is a good modern choice for some old school baseball fun.

Edited by Slig