'Sweetness'

~Tailback King~

No matter how you look at it, Payton was a powerback with finnesse.....and one of the best backs in Tecmobowl. You could eazily rush for over 3,000 yrds (if you took the time to keep track, and I have) in the short 7 game season, which is an accomplishment by itself.....(final 4 are playoffs & Superbowl).....He was never one of my favorites, but he was a truly remarkable player. They just don't make backs like that anymore............R.I.P. (p.s. His image will forever be etched in Tecmobowl history because you see him giving a five everytime you score a touchdown with any team)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M-Edd2yrP_0

No responses to this????????????????? Wow. I must be gettin' old..............actually, scratch that. I'm classic. New booty's just suck. It must be hard to be in middle school or highschool and have nobody cool to look up to. Players back then were just better in EVERY WAY.........and I'm not even talkin' bout waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back then...just the 90's and 80's.

Edited by ~Tailback King~

How are we supposed to respond? You posted a video of walter payton. Great.

I don't know...................say what you think of him??? You might think he sucks.......or maybe there's a memory you got that you wanna tell people......maybe the Bears were the first team you beat the game with.....or you might have seen him live.........Isn't that what this forums' all about...postin' your thoughts???

Edited by ~Tailback King~

Walter Payton has always been my favorite football player. He will always be my favorite football player. Because he was the example of mental and physical toughness COMBINED with ultimate skill.

When I was in 6th grade, I started watching NFL Films "Crunch Course" tapes that my friend got in the mail from his dad's SI subscription. The interviews and highlights (not just from Walter, though) changed my life.

I especially took to heart the comments Walter made about bucking a defender instead of running out of bounds...

I could go on

Wow. I must be gettin' old..............actually, scratch that. I'm classic. New booty's just suck. It must be hard to be in middle school or highschool and have nobody cool to look up to

Damn bro - if Payton was still playing when you were in middle or highschool, you gotta be late 30's pushin' 40. You ARE old!

Sweetness was a stud - how can anyone think otherwise?! Barry is still the best though!

Walter Payton has always been my favorite football player. He will always be my favorite football player. Because he was the example of mental and physical toughness COMBINED with ultimate skill.

When I was in 6th grade, I started watching NFL Films "Crunch Course" tapes that my friend got in the mail from his dad's SI subscription. The interviews and highlights (not just from Walter, though) changed my life.

I especially took to heart the comments Walter made about bucking a defender instead of running out of bounds...

I could go on

I loved that forarm to the defenders facemask he always used.......I was too young to really appreciate him live, (I was only 8 in 88' when I got the Tecmobowl cart for christmas) but I'v seen enough highlights and classic games to really know how great he was...It's really to bad how he passed.

Damn bro - if Payton was still playing when you were in middle or highschool, you gotta be late 30's pushin' 40. You ARE old!

Sweetness was a stud - how can anyone think otherwise?! Barry is still the best though!

I'm 32. According to my calculations, thats not old.......If Tom Brady is someone you looked up to, or one of your favorites growin' up, your just a new booty...so I'll take your comment as a compliment. As far as Barry Sanders being the best, I'd put him in 3rd behind Eric Dickerson & Walter Payton.

I'm 32. According to my calculations, thats not old.......If Tom Brady is someone you looked up to, or one of your favorites growin' up, your just a new booty...so I'll take your comment as a compliment. As far as Barry Sanders being the best, I'd put him in 3rd behind Eric Dickerson & Walter Payton.

I'm 32 as well. Was just bustin' your balls as Sweetness retired when we were 7. But I've seen plenty of video to confirm he's one of the greatest. Personally, I'd put him at 2 behind Sanders. Payton was a more complete back, but watching Barry run - his elusiveness and ability to go from full speed, stop, cut and right back to full speed puts you in awe. Tecmo should have given him a 75 81 69.

Id still take emmit in his prime for guaranteed yards. Payton would be slightly behind him. Barry was great. But his negative runs could kill drives. Imagine his totals without the wildfire 5 yd losses. Walter was more pure, Sanders was more exciting, and Emmit was more heart. Depends on taste.

Id still take emmit in his prime for guaranteed yards. Payton would be slightly behind him. Barry was great. But his negative runs could kill drives. Imagine his totals without the wildfire 5 yd losses. Walter was more pure, Sanders was more exciting, and Emmit was more heart. Depends on taste.

...................and being blessed with natural God givin' talent, and knowing how to use it, Eric Dickerson was better than all of um'.

I am a Lions fan, imagine Barry with the o-line that Emmitt Smith had, Detroit's teams had no qb, and no o-line. His negative plays were him running for his life. I however am 44 years old and remember a good deal of Walter Payton's career if not all of it and can say he and Barry were very similar. They both played on crappy teams and their greatness still showed through. Dickerson had a better team, but imagine how awesome he would have been with Emmitt's team.

Tailback King,

I share your appreciation for great runningbacks, although I don't agree with a lot of the things you have to say about them. You missed a whole golden age of running backs in the 1970's and early 1980's. Earl Campbell, Sam Bam Cunningham, Tony Dorsett, Calvin Hill, Mercury Morris, Larry Csonka, Billy Sims, just to name a few, and before that Gayle Sayers, Jim Brown, Jim Taylor. Dickerson had a great combo of speed and power but so did Earl Campbell and Billy Sims before their careers were cut short. Jim Brown was probably the greatest running back of all time, and like Barry Sanders he quit in his prime. I am sorry you missed the 70's it was a running game lover's dream.

So being on a good team is a negative when considering greatness? Guess Jerry Rice isn't the greatest wr, since the niners had such great teams during his career. As a matter of fact, Barry had a playoff win over Emmit, but i guess that Lions team sucked as well. And Emmit was the first rushing leader to win a Supebowl if i'm not mistaken. And i guess when emmit ran with a dislocated shoulder to win a Division Title to get a bye isn't great. Maybe the o-line for the lions sucked because they couldn't figure where the hell Barry was going next. Yeah they sucked ass alright. Like i said, it was what you wanted in a back that made them great to you. I prefer durable, consistant with the occasionally great game....no scratch that great season (25 tds before the wide open offense era...and remember 1st one was 1st carry of the year untouched 60+yds for a non break away back.). Consistantly in the top 5 rushing. Give me another back that took the beatings Emmit did, and still lasted. Walter was sweetness, barry was exciting, and Emmit was a sure thing....and the altime rushing leader. When you debate, be sure you don't change your bases for argument. Dare you to say Jerry was great for his longevity and being part of great teams, and then reverse the argument on Emmit. I dare you. I double dog dare you. I double dog purple nurple dare you. HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!!!!! And

Being a team game it is hard to compare individual greatness since all things are not equal. Emmitt was a great back don't get me wrong but I believe we saw all that he could be, we didn't really see all that Payton or Sanders could be. As far as Jerry Rice being the greatest reciever ever that is also debatable. He played most of his career at a time when there was not bumping downfield like there was in the 1960's and 1970's. I still remember Lester "the molester" Hayes of the Raiders in the last game to allow the use of stick-em on hands. It was the Super Bowl after the 1980 season when Raiders beat the Eagles. Were you even born then, less than 1 year old at the time if you were? There was a great picture of him holding up his hands dripping with stick-em.

2daxjvq

Any way Rice never had to deal with that and bumping down field. The greats would be great in any era but unless they played side by side under the same conditions you can not fairly compare Jerry Rice to R.C. Owens (if you even know who he is ) to Paul Warfield to Lynn Swann. The same with the runnings backs. I did not in any way mean to down play Emmitt's achievements but to emphasize that he had a great team to help him and Sanders and Sayers and Payton did not. The Lions team in question that beat Dallas in the playoffs (the only playoff game the Lions have won since 1957 by the way) rode a wave of emotion (stemming from Mike Utley's Paralysis in the LARams game) to the NFC Championship game where they promptly lost to the Redskins 42-10. Since then they have had some decent seasons ending in playoff losses (like last year).

Thanks for you input, I consider myself to be double, triple or ever quadruple dog-dared.

good posts, carther.

I also remember seeing Mr. Emmitt Smith run through holes so wide that you could literally drive a car through them.

the highlight reels are all you need to see how good these guys were. emmitt = boring (consistent, yes) with occasional good run via balance and breaking tackles.

but barry, gale, payton, and earl all easily blow emmitt smith away with talent and truly legendary and unbelievable runs and plays.

So to be the best of all time is just based on god given talent? Then i'd take Bo Jackson over any back period!! Cause the stats have E. Smith as #1, the rest is left to opinions..

And to say Rice couldnt produce back in the day is crap. Lynn Swann couldnt work harder than Rice, maybe as hard but not harder. I guess Rice's hands wouldn't play into his on field performance. WR in the 60's used their god given talent and tuffness to catch I guess.

A guy gets knock for being "injury proned" now a days... But for a RB who played in a era where teams used one back for the majority of the carries and also he didn't have a Reggie Bush 3rd down replacement (i'd take Emmitt out the backfield on a pass route over Sweetness and Barry) can't get the props for it is just ig-nant! And if his line was as much a part of his greatness as I always here, then why couldn't any back just be great behind that line? (check Dallas's record without Emmitt). I guess non Cowboy fans wouldn't know how exciting he really was.... when he raised that championship trophy up 3 times!!

Edited by drunken_honkey

HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS!!!........................NOT. It's truly amazing how there can even be a conversation about who the greatest runningback is without Eric Dickerson in it.........Emmitt might have the career yardage record, but Eric got the best season.....The only one mentioned who even came close was Barry. Close, but no cigar.

Jim Brown got all his yardage in less games per season... There are a lot of could of's should of's, might have been's, that one time's... but only one has the crown. Duece duece!! Thought it was greatest of all time, not best season. Guess Rogers and Brees are now the greatest. Careers dictate greatness, it even says it in the title... "of all time". Dickerson might be the greatest of one time, but not of all time.

Jim Brown got all his yardage in less games per season... exactly why he is considered way better than Emmitt (by non-Cowboy fans)

It is kind of like trying to say Pete Rose was a better hitter than Ty Cobb because he got more hits with more than a 1000 more at bats. The batting averages aren't even close.

Emmit

4409 CAR 18,355yds 4.2 per 164tds 515 rec 3224 YDS 11tds----226 games

54 FUMBLES IN 4924 TOUCHES----1 IN EVERY 91 TOUCHES

3 Super Bowl Trophies

RUSHING TITLES---4, 3 CONSECUTIVE (one of which is when he held out 2 games for contract)

MOST RUSH TDS PLAYOFFS CAREER---19, MOST CAREER RUSH YDS PLAYOFFS 1569

1 OF ONLY 5 BACKS WITH 10,000 YDS RUSH AND 400 REC.

RUSHING CHAMP AND SUPER BOWL CHAMP UNPRECEDENTED 3 TIMES

Barry

3062 CAR 15,269yds 5.0 PER 99 TDS 352 REC 2921 YDS 10 TDS---153 GAMES

41 FMBLES IN 3414 TOUCHES----1 IN EVERY 83 TOUCHES

0 SUPER BOWL TROPHIES

RUSHING TITLES---4, BACK TO BACK ONCE

play off records???????

Oh yeah ran for 200 yds once.

Plus he could juke really really good.

Facts are facts, that is what i go with. numbers and titles. If you have one you are talked about as great, but

I guess when you have both, you are over rated.