Tecmo Bowl's New York Giants

Bo Knows

By far the best team in Tecmo Bowl is the New York Giants. They basically can't lose. Miami, give me a break. Of course some general "rules" are made for this to be true. First NO Thrownig to the unstoppable passes ever. How can you even play when the offense can not be stopped? Just stupid. #2 No Rampant QB running. If the QB decided to run everytime there would again be no stopping the offense. After that basically anything goes, and The Giants don't lose. Their Defense is too amazing, shuts down everyone completely except a few teams (Denver, Chicago, LA, and Seattle) LT and Banks are too monsterous for anyone to handle, not even the mighty Bo Jackson can run on the Giants. I say all of this with great certainty since I have played 200+ Man vs. Man games in the past 2 months and the Giants record is 35-6 (.854), the next highest team is LA at 24-16 (.600). Giants also hold the biggest "Match-up advantage" as it is called in Tecmo. NYG vs. WSH, WSH can not move the ball. At all. I mean at all. Be Banks and pick one of the 2 passes watch as Washington goes NOWHERE. So to recap, The Giants are Gods.

If you want to learn more about tecmo visit http://www.geocities.com/cpa68/tecmo.html that will help you out.

• 1 year later...

well id say thats debateable that the G-men are the best team in tecmo....im assuming that you are talking about the original 12 team game? However i'd say that they are defiantely a top tier team....i always looked at that games 12 teams and basically put em into 3 catagories with 4 elite teams, 4 quality teams, and 4 clunkers.

Possibly the 9ers are the team to beat, with great wr routes, and montana having plenty of zip on his passes, plus craig is a good runner if matched-up against a guy at the bottom of the screen....with the Dolphins, and marino i can usually score at will, just because of his quick passing thats help you thread the needle, however stopping an opponent with thier d is kinda tough, usually i need the opponent to make a mistake or 2 for me to dominate with those guys......i also find i have great success with the Broncos.....im not nuts about thier wr routes, but they have a decent ground game, and a decent defense.

these are all observations made against human opponents.

I read this before, but i'll post now since it's rehashed.

Although it's a tough call, i'd give the edge to the Giants over the 49ers. Simply because of that other P2 variant like the Raiders and Bears have. You can't stop it, no way no how. And unlike TSB, the CPU doesn't favor receiving Gods like Rice and passing Gods like Montana by causing the receiver to jump or dive to make the catch. Coverage is simple, get in front of them and you get the ball. They run straight routes; they're easy to cover. P2 for the Bears/Giants/Raiders* on the other hand provides either the inside receiver or TE to run a slant through the middle that if thrown while running, NO ONE can cover. It's a guaranteed play. Even when blitzed. Who else has that? And that plus their defenses make them the strongest teams out there.

* - I side noted the Raiders because their version of P2 never did seem to work as well as it did for the other two.

I read this before, but i'll post now since it's rehashed.

Although it's a tough call, i'd give the edge to the Giants over the 49ers. Simply because of that other P2 variant like the Raiders and Bears have. You can't stop it, no way no how. And unlike TSB, the CPU doesn't favor receiving Gods like Rice and passing Gods like Montana by causing the receiver to jump or dive to make the catch. Coverage is simple, get in front of them and you get the ball. They run straight routes; they're easy to cover. P2 for the Bears/Giants/Raiders* on the other hand provides either the inside receiver or TE to run a slant through the middle that if thrown while running, NO ONE can cover. It's a guaranteed play. Even when blitzed. Who else has that? And that plus their defenses make them the strongest teams out there.

That is one of my favourite plays but i have one problem with it - i'd say that 75% of the time if i try to pass to either of the WRs, the ball gets overthrown or goes into the crowd. It's really only reliable if you have a TE with halfway decent hands.

Really? :oops: Color me a lighter shade of shocked. I haven't seen maybe 20 incompletions in like a few hundred games of TB. I'm not bragging or anything, i just thought it was close to impossible to throw incompletions in the game. But i do remember them; the receiver looking stupid after missing and then 'sliding' back to the huddle (he never moved his legs :twisted: ).

I think you're right, though. It's usually the receivers who drop the ball. But the P2 variant i'm describing for the Giants/Bears/Raiders should only be thrown to the TE anyway (or at least whoever the guy is running the middle slant route). He never seems to drop it no matter what the situation.

I think you're right, though. It's usually the receivers who drop the ball. But the P2 variant i'm describing for the Giants/Bears/Raiders should only be thrown to the TE anyway (or at least whoever the guy is running the middle slant route). He never seems to drop it no matter what the situation.

Yeah, i was only talking about the wideouts missing the ball. But it's not usually drops - the QB just seems to have a difficult time getting the ball to his WRs.

Unless your TE has a 19 Receptions rating or something, this pass should work every time.

• 1 year later...
By far the best team in Tecmo Bowl is the New York Giants. They basically can't lose. Miami, give me a break. Of course some general "rules" are made for this to be true. First NO Thrownig to the unstoppable passes ever. How can you even play when the offense can not be stopped? Just stupid. #2 No Rampant QB running. If the QB decided to run everytime there would again be no stopping the offense. After that basically anything goes, and The Giants don't lose. Their Defense is too amazing, shuts down everyone completely except a few teams (Denver, Chicago, LA, and Seattle) LT and Banks are too monsterous for anyone to handle, not even the mighty Bo Jackson can run on the Giants. I say all of this with great certainty since I have played 200+ Man vs. Man games in the past 2 months and the Giants record is 35-6 (.854), the next highest team is LA at 24-16 (.600). Giants also hold the biggest "Match-up advantage" as it is called in Tecmo. NYG vs. WSH, WSH can not move the ball. At all. I mean at all. Be Banks and pick one of the 2 passes watch as Washington goes NOWHERE. So to recap, The Giants are Gods.

If you want to learn more about tecmo visit http://www.geocities.com/cpa68/tecmo.html that will help you out.

I just noticed the knock on my Miami post. A few years late I know. Anyway, like I said, Miami rules because of their amazing QB, unstoppable playbook, and Offerdahl makes for an adequate D. Now, if you rule out using their passing plays because they are unstoppable, well, you've just totally trashed the team and of course they aren't going to be the best.

I figured if its fair game to rule out Miami's playbook, then a few more need to be made.

Some other rules that would make New York not the best in the game:

no using lawrence taylor. ever. "How can you even play when the offense can not be stopped? Just stupid" To which I counter, why play when using Lawrence Taylor who friggin owns the offense so that they can't go anywhere? Stupid.

No throwing to Bavaro on the quick out when the play is picked.

To make up for the defense still having an amazing drone in Lawrence Taylor, the defense has to tell the offense which play they think is going to be called. That way the offense can adjust. For example-- Defense: "I'm picking pass one."

Offense: "Alrighty then." Picks run two.

And finally, I'm bored at work. In conclusion, I'd still like to see some sort of battle of the Bo's.

Take away LT and NYG still has Carl Banks at the TOLB who is almost as good as LT.

MIA is solid on offense but the defense they have does not make the cut overall. choosing Offerdahl will sooner or later bite you in the ass. cut the field half and stick with DE's, OLB's and DB's. Offerdahl is a great option though vs SF and DEN's shotgun play.

MIA does seem to match-up nicely vs NYG though. Better than about all but 3-4 teams. IND surprisingly matchs up very well vs NYG also thanks to the mega powerful running game of Dickerson.

besides all the rules and stipulations aside, thats why you play the game. to get the big upset.