need some advice on changing color to logo

buchos

Well here is the thing

I have completly remade my midfield logo and only have a few things left to change and one of them is the color to match the field. I have read all of the post and documents that I can find on here and still seem to be having the same problem.

post-6581-0-62401700-1345917209.png

How do I get the part at the bottom to turn from blue to green. I have tried changes values in a hex editor and am just unsure what to do. Thanks for any help that I get.

Buchos

• 1 month later...

if you want just to switch from blue(11) to green(1A), just go to offset x2C41E, where shows the first palette (0F 11 25 30) thet the MIDFIELD LOGO USES, then at offset x2C421 is the 2nd palette (0F 1A 11 30) and the third palette for this LOGO is at x2C149 (11*alone) In all cases just change the "11" to "1A", to see which "11" is the one that matches to that "lower part" from the logo, Im pretty sure is the second one at x2C421,(because of the red in there)

The third palette for this LOGO at x2C149 (11*alone), is shown "only while playing", and it appears when you've changed the "blue", (from that second palette at x2C421) and the screen "scrolls" in a single play where the LOGO was not on screen at first, but then the ball gets there. (over Mid field) So you better change this "11" as well at x2C149

if you want just to switch from blue(11) to green(1A), just go to offset x2C41E, where shows the first palette (0F 11 25 30) thet the MIDFIELD LOGO USES, then at offset x2C421 is the 2nd palette (0F 1A 11 30) and the third palette for this LOGO is at x2C149 (11*alone) In all cases just change the "11" to "1A", to see which "11" is the one that matches to that "lower part" from the logo, Im pretty sure is the second one at x2C421,(because of the red in there)

Way to hit the ground running. Welcome man!

I dont remember quite right..., but I think a long time ago (about 9 years) all of the info. about hacking TSB was available in another threads forum. VERY HUGE ARCHIVE!. Now I'm finding it very hard to gather all the stuff I need to finish my rom. I wish all the people contributed with these posts. Of course I'll do what I can

I dont remember quite right..., but I think a long time ago (about 9 years) all of the info. about hacking TSB was available in another threads forum. VERY HUGE ARCHIVE!. Now I'm finding it very hard to gather all the stuff I need to finish my rom. I wish all the people contributed with these posts. Of course I'll do what I can

This site transitioned from knobbe.org to tecmobowl.org

This might be a good start - http://tecmobowl.org/forum/topic/9725-directory-of-hacking-docs-updated-05162010-knobbe/

We're working on pulling the info from the forums into a documentation section

This site transitioned from knobbe.org to tecmobowl.org

This might be a good start - http://tecmobowl.org...5162010-knobbe/

We're working on pulling the info from the forums into a documentation section

No, That is very good!. All of you have done a great work, its just that I've never used FceUX before, and sometimes I dont have a single clue on what youre talking about, that's all.

In fact you have lots more of info. here in these threads than in any other place. Good job!

We all are a little bit "test &error" ourselves, but just like Ole Carther, time is not on our side anymore, and for many of us who started hacking this rom in early 2000's, it has become more like an "obsession" finishing it "exactly"the way we would like it. Just keep bringin' those posts man!!

Thanks for the advice were to look for those colors. I actually figured it out a day or so later, just lost my patience and got feed up. When i slowed down i was able to find what i was looking for. But thank you it helped me know where to look in the future, because i used trial and error until i got the right result. This will same me time in the future. I feel the same way, sometimes i just dont understand what these guys are talking about when i read the help documents, but usually after time i kind of get it, at least enough to get by

Here is how it turned out.

post-6581-0-43451300-1349146505_thumb.pn

Now i need to just take some time and figure out the main menu log, that is not going to well yet, i have just made it all black for now until i can figure out how to edit those pallets without changing the midfield logo this is what i got on that so far

post-6581-0-08316000-1349146233_thumb.pn

Edited by buchos

Now i need to just take some time and figure out the main menu log, that is not going to well yet, i have just made it all black for now until i can figure out how to edit those pallets without changing the midfield logo this is what i got on that so far

post-6581-0-08316000-1349146233_thumb.pn

I can also help you a little with that, I dont know how "familiar" are the HEXeditors to you, Ive only used HEXPOSURE myself. But it seems that you at least have been into this a couple of times as well (from your pics I see this), so Im gonna tell one way (mine) to modify these logos without messing with both of them too much (THEY are 3 logos actually using the same "base" tiles). I know that youve managed at least a "TILE VIEWER" (again from your pics), Im not the one to recommend a specific program for doing this . I've only used NESTICLE's "tile viewer" and a program called "yy-chr",(those are very old softwares, but "back in my days" they were some of the "easier-to-handle" tools you could get in that time) (they could come in handy, but I can not tell if theyre still available on the net) (if dont, I can send them to you somehow, just for you to check them) (first I need to find out how, on this posts) .

Ok, first, there are many posts in here (THANKS AGAIN TO KNOBBE FOR THIS) on how tiles are "Stored" in a rom, I really dont understand them that well, but If you ever used the "NESTICLE-tile viewer", then you will surely know what I'm about to explain right away: Tiles are stored in banks (somehow). (You can dive into those threads if you like to find out yourself) and theyre "being-called onscreen" by their own "name" and "bank". Nesticle displays a window showing the "tile-banks" that are being "called" in any specific moment during the game (some banks corresponing to SPRITES, and some other to BACKGROUNDS)(this is why NOT ALL tiles can be modified with this emulator, but anyway) each time you "select" a single tile from an entire bank it will show, you in another smaller window, their actual name( tiles are not named the same everytime, that depends on something else I dont even know, but.. ) something like "A1" or , "B2",or "06", etc. It is of course an hexadecimal value. Im telling you all of this because it might also become helpful for any other "IMAGE" (logo, intro, font, etc. contained in the tiles of any rom).

Well. the tiles that correspond to the "NFL-SHIELD LOGO" are in 3 banks (1st one in the "Intro" before the Title screen is shown, below the "TECMO SUPER BOWL", 2nd at MAIN MENU, and the 3rd of course as the MIDFIELD LOGO)

Im gonna start by telling you how tiles are stored in the rom for the "MAIN MENU LOGO" first, because it is the easiest one to start with (I think). If you go to offset x23EE8 (HEXeditor) youll find:

(19 80 00 80 00 80 00 [00 1A 00 1B 02 46 02 47 00]) these are the first block of tiles from the Main menu Logo, they start with the 00 (this value I dont remember if it has to do with the "banks" or the "position" or the "palettes", so that Im not giving you any incorrect information, I'll just skip it until I can be certain) then 1A, which is the left-upper corner from the logo, then 00 (again I'll skip that, this goes on for the rest of the logo, one "tile assingment" and then its "name") then 1B that is the next graphic tile from the logo, then 02 (again I'll skip that..) then 46, 47, 1E, and 1F (with this pattern youll "form onscreen" your logo like this (this is not the way they'd appear in your HEXeditor, of course, but only focus on the next values):

1A 1B 46 47 1E 1F

1C 49 4C 4D 58 0C

1D 4B 4E 4F 4B 73

0E 60 61 64 65 5A

0E 62 63 66 67 5A

0E 51 63 54 55 5A

0F 56 57 59 5C 5D

00 0D 76 77 71 13

00 00 17 10 11 12 *A colored tile, means that this specific tile is "being called" more than once. ( This tiles may have caused you trouble, because if you modify the graphics from this tiles, changes are shown in all "same" tiles, making nonsense with its "neighbours" tiles)

Ok, so now you have all this values.., well, this is when NESTICLE comes in real handy, because at top of each tile shown with this emulator is their "name" (1A,1B,46,47, etc.), and then you can know just what tiles to modify.

The other thing youll have to do is to "change" each repeated (colored) tile from your logo to an "UNUSED"one (from that same bank) so that you can play better with your design (I dont have a NESTICLE in this computer, sorry. and I cant tell you which are the unused tiles for the Main menu, but.. ), Let's say an unused tile was the one named "2A", Well, then just replace one of your 4B that you have repeated (for example), with it. I'm pretty sure there are enough "unused" tiles for you to replace "repeated" ones in this bank.

*UNUSED TILES are tiles that are inside a bank , that have NONE graphics on them: blank tiles. (again, Nesticle can give you a "fair" view of the tiles shown onscreen, so that you can easily detect which ones are blank tiles. Just draw some graphics on them and U can check them immediatly as you are modifying them)

BTW, only a few months ago I got the chance to use NESTICLE once again, but I had trouble at first, because I didnt remember how to SAVE the changes I'd just made on the "graphics". Well, to do that, on NESTICLE's menu go to >VIEW/pattern tables (F2 key) and the banks of tiles will show. Just pick one and start drawing,(like in any TILE-viewer program)( sometimes the tile window is "hiding" behind the "pattern tables" window and you cant see the tile to modify). After you got what you want, save your changes in >FILE/ writeVrom. (if you dont, just close it w/out saving) (of course I recommend you to have a copy of your file. You dont want to mess everything up!)

I use a hex editor for larger edits but for trial and error testing and palettes you should definitely try fcux.

on the texttoobar select tools then hex editor. switch the view to the rom file.

by using the hex editor in fcux you can change things while the game is running and see the change instantly.

it saves so much time especially with palette editing.

Ok here's the rest of the offset locations: (Im not quite certain if these are its values, but here they go...)

MIDFIELD LOGO TILE-location

It is divided in three blocks (it seems)

LEFT ......................MIDDLE..............RIGHT (AGAIN, focus only on the values that are shown)

........................ x2CAB2-x2CAD3

x2CA71-C2.........C3 C6 C7 C0.......x2CB07-C1

x2CA75-C8.........C9 CC CD D8.......x2CB0B-D0

x2CA79-CA.........CB CE CF CB......x2CBOF-D2

x2CA7E-FO.........E0 E1 E4 E5........x2CB14-DA

x2CA82-FO.........E2 E3 E6 E7........x2CB18-DA

x2CA86-FO.........D1 E3 D4 D5.......x2CB1C-F2

x2CA8A-D3.........D6 D7 D9 DC.......x2CB20-DD

...........................DB DE DF F1......

*I think the RIGHT and LEFT Blocks of tiles dont repeat in the MAIN MENUlogo and in this MIDFIELD logo. (neither the mid-top ones in BOLDBLACK)

MIDFIELD LOGO PALETTE-location - at x2C41E-X2C424

MAIN MENU LOGO PALETTE-location - x1A850- x1A85A*(first white(30) at x1A853 its also the cursor logo

INTRO LOGO PALETTE-location - x1A96A- x1A96F

I use a hex editor for larger edits but for trial and error testing and palettes you should definitely try fcux.

on the texttoobar select tools then hex editor. switch the view to the rom file.

by using the hex editor in fcux you can change things while the game is running and see the change instantly.

it saves so much time especially with palette editing.

time saving??? OK let's give it a try then!, thx.

WOW! thanks pambazos, I am definitly going to try to fix up my menu page, apriciate the help. The one thing that i dont understand is "If you go to offset x23EE8 (HEXeditor) youll find:" I know that is a rookie question and i can and do use hex editors, but what does that mean, i have never figured it out??

What i did to make my midfiel logo was use nesticle and yy-chr, i found the tiles in nesticle and numbered and lettterd them to be able to find the in yy-chr, like in the tw0 pictures below and then mapped out my pogo on a grid and patched up the tiles and redrew it in yy-chr, but this did not work for me it the main menu logo. So I am going to go back now and see if i can make any improvements...I will let you know if it works for

this is how i renamed then in nesticle (numbers and letters to keep them straight)

me.post-6581-0-45743900-1349402260_thumb.pn

Then i went into yy-chr and found the numbers and letters i made in nesticle....

post-6581-0-56029900-1349402348_thumb.pn

and mapped out my new logo on this grid

post-6581-0-44214300-1349402399_thumb.pn

The one thing that i dont understand is "If you go to offset x23EE8 (HEXeditor) youll find:" I know that is a rookie question and i can and do use hex editors, but what does that mean, i have never figured it out??

Oh, for the x23EE8: x=0000000000......and all that comes before (dont need to pay attention to that "x") the "23EEB" is what you are after. and it is an address (in HEX values, I guess..).

With every HEX editor comes the "goto_HEX" option (among many others, like search_text, search_hex, etc.) well, depending on the HEXeditor you use, when opening this option ("goto_HEX") you have to put an address in there, then you type "23EEB", and press GOTO (ENTER), and the program will "land" its cursor exactly on that offset youve typed, thats it.

That thing you did, making each tile visible onscreen with a number/letter, was very clever for "quick-identification" , and of course now, with a tile viewer program you can make all of that, based on your "notes" and fill your grid with your new logo, a simple "copy-paste" for each tile, to their corresponding position in the rom and you are done. (you always had it all set )

But I didnt get what U said in last part, Did you said nothing happened to your Main menu Logo when you redrew the Midfield one???, I thought they shared all the center-block of tiles (all 3 logos). Because as you can see very easily on the Main menu, its logo has a set of tiles for the "shadow" (appearing there only), thats why it has more tiles than the other 2. Probably I MISSED all the tiles for this "SHADOW". and the offset location for the MAIN MENU LOGO is incomplete., but I know you can figure out the whole tile disposition for every logo, since you always had...

In the last part i was saying that i am going to try to redo the main menu logo, i just went to the hex editor, found the place were the colors for the logo are kept and turned them all black, and left the ones that said "easo" and wrote in the s and the n and 3 because i could not find the tiles in yy-cha or the hex editor to change them, so i just made it look the best i could.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok here's the rest of the offset locations: (Im not quite certain if these are its values, but here they go...)

MIDFIELD LOGO TILE-location

It is divided in three blocks (it seems)

LEFT ......................MIDDLE..............RIGHT (AGAIN, focus only on the values that are shown)

........................ x2CAB2-x2CAD3

x2CA71-C2.........C3 C6 C7 C0.......x2CB07-C1

x2CA75-C8.........C9 CC CD D8.......x2CB0B-D0

x2CA79-CA.........CB CE CF CB......x2CBOF-D2

x2CA7E-FO.........E0 E1 E4 E5........x2CB14-DA

x2CA82-FO.........E2 E3 E6 E7........x2CB18-DA

x2CA86-FO.........D1 E3 D4 D5.......x2CB1C-F2

x2CA8A-D3.........D6 D7 D9 DC.......x2CB20-DD

...........................DB DE DF F1......

*I think the RIGHT and LEFT Blocks of tiles dont repeat in the MAIN MENUlogo and in this MIDFIELD logo. (neither the mid-top ones in BOLDBLACK)

MIDFIELD LOGO PALETTE-location - at x2C41E-X2C424

MAIN MENU LOGO PALETTE-location - x1A850- x1A85A*(first white(30) at x1A853 its also the cursor logo

INTRO LOGO PALETTE-location - x1A96A- x1A96F

Thought someone might find it helpful:

I know it helps me to see things visually. 

post-13159-0-72493400-1402843210_thumb.p

• 8 years later...