'Tailback Tandums'

Not every team has the luxury of 2 star players in their backfield, but for the lucky ones that do, here are my top 5..................

5) Curt Warner & Cleveland Gary~The Rams have a passing game you have to respect, which opens up running lanes for these two...a lot of weapons makes for a very well rounded Rams offense. (Warner can also return kicks very well. 1,975 yrds, 9 tds was my season record)

4) O.J. Anderson & David Meggett~What can't these guys do??? Anderson smashin' off tackle, and Meggett on the screen passes make this one of the hardest offenses to stop.

3) Christian Okoye & Barry Word~The biggest backfield in the game...keep feedin' these guys the ball and they start to wear down the defense...hell, with these two in the backfield at the same time, why even pass??? (I don't!)

2) Marcus Allen & Bo Jackson~Most people would have these guy's at the #1 spot. Doesn't really seem fair to opponents to have 2 Heisman Trophy winners in your backfield at the same time...Throw Tim Brown in the mix, and the Raiders have '3' on their offense.

1) Gary Anderson & Reggie Cobb~Some might say I'm crazy but these two are the PERFECT compliment of speed and power. Your opponent thinks they gotcha, then BAMM!!! You hit um' with a whole nother animal. For a team that didn't make the playoffs that year, they sure did have an explosive offense.....Who do we blame??? Vinny Interceptaverde???

Here's some highlights from my #1 best runningback tandum in the game.

Um, you and skip bayless would have the greatest debates ever... Bo Jackson is by himself is the best tandum... Cant believe you believe half of what you say. But I guess it works, cause dummies like me respond. I enjoy the all the highlights, could go without the commentary. Keep on, keepin on! Honkey Vanish!!

And yet somehow, they are not even in the top 5.

Depends on whos Top 5 list you're looking at ;-)

I posted something similar a few years ago

http://tecmobowl.org/forum/topic/12469-best-starting-rb-combo/page__mode__show

and the general consensus was

1. RAI - Bo & Marcus

2. NYG - Meggitt & Ottis

3. CHI - Neal & Brad

4. KC - Okoye & Word

5. Other (I assume most people were thinking NE - Stephens & Allen) :-D

But I'd rather have someone make a list like this than just choose highest MS. Bo's the best, but I never "feared" playing against him because the Raiders passing game sucks. I was always able to shut them down, easily.

I can safely say that this discussion proves why tecmo bowl (the first 3 at least) were so awesome.

I think TSB III was awesome too. HP actually mattered and Reggie Cobb was REALLY a beast! In fact Jerome Bettis was better than Barry IMO.

1) Gary Anderson & Reggie Cobb~Some might say I'm crazy but these two are the PERFECT compliment of speed and power.

I really don't get how they are the perfect compliment of speed and power when they are both slow as shit. :-P

I apologize in advance for dropping this knowledge on you...I think I've been reading Bruddog's posts far too long.

1) Anderson & Cobb are a combined 75MS. Bo Jackson is that by himself.

2) Anderson's 50 MS is good enough for 14th fastest RB (if you factor in Okoye's RS).

3) Let's compare "inferior" Anderson & Cobb to the "far superior" Anderson & Muster.

R.Cobb__44_69_25_94_50_44

Muster __44_69_25_94_50_56

So Cobb and Muster are basically the same player - only Muster has better receiving skills.

Gary__38_69_50_25_50_50

Neal__50_69_63_50_50_50

Initial Speed: Advantage Neal

Max Speed: Advantage Neal

Hitting Power: Advantage Neal

Everything else is the same.

So I ask you, Mr. Tailback Ranker - how they hell are the Chicago Boys not on your list when they are clearly better than your #1 tandem???

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just wanted to give some love to the James Brooks/Ickey Woods tandem that, when BOTH healthy (a rarity), can perform as well as some of those listed. Ickey Shuffle, anyone?

Brooks & Woods would be 6th.........for the reason that they both never seem to be healthy at the same time^^^

Edited by ~Tailback King~

Bodom is right. You can't keep ranking players based on "charisma" and "character" as if they play above their attributes.....because they don't. This theory has been tested over and over again. Also, nobody calls the position "tailback" anymore. But I love your enthusiasm.

I really don't get how they are the perfect compliment of speed and power when they are both slow as shit. icon_razz.gif

I apologize in advance for dropping this knowledge on you...I think I've been reading Bruddog's posts far too long.

1) Anderson & Cobb are a combined 75MS. Bo Jackson is that by himself.

2) Anderson's 50 MS is good enough for 14th fastest RB (if you factor in Okoye's RS).

3) Let's compare "inferior" Anderson & Cobb to the "far superior" Anderson & Muster.

R.Cobb__44_69_25_94_50_44

Muster __44_69_25_94_50_56

So Cobb and Muster are basically the same player - only Muster has better receiving skills.

Gary__38_69_50_25_50_50

Neal__50_69_63_50_50_50

Initial Speed: Advantage Neal

Max Speed: Advantage Neal

Hitting Power: Advantage Neal

Everything else is the same.

So I ask you, Mr. Tailback Ranker - how they hell are the Chicago Boys not on your list when they are clearly better than your #1 tandem???

Cuzz Harbaugh & Tomzak suck so bad that all I have to do is pick run plays.....I'd shut that offense down one handed with Phoenix or Tampa Bay.........I can only HOPE someones dumb enough to picc Chicago vs me at the Tourney in Seattle when I'm Phoenix.

Cuzz Harbaugh & Tomzak suck so bad that all I have to do is pick run plays.....I'd shut that offense down one handed with Phoenix or Tampa Bay.........I can only HOPE someones dumb enough to picc Chicago vs me at the Tourney in Seattle when I'm Phoenix.

Wow - that post was from August!

I agree with your opinion on Harbaugh and Tomczak, however, Brad and Neal make Chicago's offense relevant.  Imagine if TB had Brad and Neal!  They might be a Top 5 team.  If Chicago had Cobb and Gary, you wouldn't even have to play defense!

Bodom is right. You can't keep ranking players based on "charisma" and "character" as if they play above their attributes.....because they don't. This theory has been tested over and over again. Also, nobody calls the position "tailback" anymore. But I love your enthusiasm.

......That's because there aren't any real tailbacks anymore.  Adrian Peterson, Legarrett Blount, Demarco Murray, Marshawn Lynch and soon to be pro Marcus Lattimore.................that's about it.  Backs barely break 200 lbs anymore, and don't deserve the right to be called a TAILBACK.    

Barry Sanders / Mel Gray might be the best overall tandem if you considered them as such.

Other "good" true tandems would be Craig/Rathman and Hilliard/Heyward

Mel Grey's a tweener...slot back/reciever...he couldn't handle a tailbacks load the whole year...definitly not the way a Johnny Johnson or an O.J. Anderson could.