Need help with Tecmo Bowl:Kickoff ROM

ombada

So i am very new to hacking roms, but i really want to make this game play better. A lot of people have written it off because of stat tracking problems and small glitches that i know can be fixed.

Heres the thing, i am new and terrible at understanding what im doing with hacks. I have a lot of the tools i would need for hacking this ROM if i was experienced. So what i guess i am proposing is for someone with hex editing/palette/2d graphic/cut scene hacking experience to help me out here. Here is a list of things i would like to get done With this ROM,

- fix stat tracking

- fix kickers defaulting to black skin color in game (sprite) and cut scene

- fix receiver name becoming defensive players name in catch cut scene

- (optional) graphics updates... like helmet logos or changing the logo icon option to nfl logos or something of the like. more jersey options.

- (optional) BG music fix... The old school TSB SNES BG music is unlockable, but for some reason the sounds for first down, 4th down and Touchdown! were not included, this would be a simple edit if i had the files from the original SNES version i could probably do it myself.

I already edited out the language filter. so if someone would like to help me i can send you anything you need to get started.

* http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/368852/NO_GBA_2.6a.zip * <----- Very Stable DS Emulator.

* http://www.filehosti...Xenophobia).nds * <----- Virgin ROM.

* http://www.filehosti...012preview2.pdf * <----- Crazy, big, long extensive, informative write up of NDS hacking.

VVVVVV Below are the programs i have for NDS hacking VVVVVVV

* http://www.filehosti...ing_Toolkit.zip *

Edited by ombada

So i am very new to hacking roms, but i really want to make this game play better. A lot of people have written it off because of stat tracking problems and small glitches that i know can be fixed.

Heres the thing, i am new and terrible at understanding what im doing with hacks. I have a lot of the tools i would need for hacking this ROM if i was experienced. So what i guess i am proposing is for someone with hex editing/palette/2d graphic/cut scene hacking experience to help me out here. Here is a list of things i would like to get done With this ROM,

- fix stat tracking

- fix kickers defaulting to black skin color in game (sprite) and cut scene

- fix receiver name becoming defensive players name in catch cut scene

- (optional) graphics updates... like helmet logos or changing the logo icon option to nfl logos or something of the like. more jersey options.

I already edited out the language filter. so if someone would like to help me i can send you anything you need to get started.

I attempted to hex edit the Rom I have and it broke everything. Does it need to have the header removed? Most of the stuff should be fairly easy to find, graphic wise. I'm not familiar with editing cutscenes, so I can't help there.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I attempted to hex edit the Rom I have and it broke everything. Does it need to have the header removed? Most of the stuff should be fairly easy to find, graphic wise. I'm not familiar with editing cutscenes, so I can't help there.

I dont know much about hacking at all... Im just now trying to learn and this is definitely beyond me. So with the header stuff, i really dont have any idea.

I do know which tools people use to hack DS roms and i have opened those tools and attempted to mess around in there, but taking out the language filter was the only thing i could do successfully because it was a simple .txt file. Ill upload the tools i have collected hopefully someone with more experience can do better... im just sitting here looking at bits, and even when i find the graphics i dont have any idea how to edit them or if it has any effect on the overall game or just one section of it.

I would assume the glitches have to be found in the code. there is a reason why every kicker is glitching to black skin and why names pop up incorrectly. Ive also found the file which allows alteration of the schedule in season mode, but i cant make heads or tales of it. Its also a .txt file, so im sure someone could load this years season if they wanted to pretty easily.

as for the stats... im lost. I wish i knew how to fix this stuff, but im a newb beyond belief.

*EDIT* I went back and put up all the programs i have, i also have an extremely extensive PDF file that should have everything anyone wants to know about NDS hacking posted in the original post and i will try to put up a virgin rom later.

Edited by ombada

I'll take a look at the stuff you posted. I understand most things. I would think the game is layed out in the same fashion as the SNES version, seeing it looks similar. I'll let ya know if I've accomplished anything. A lot of those issues are why I don't play this game for right now.

How's the sav. file coming along? Did you test it out some more?

I'll take a look at the stuff you posted. I understand most things. I would think the game is layed out in the same fashion as the SNES version, seeing it looks similar. I'll let ya know if I've accomplished anything. A lot of those issues are why I don't play this game for right now.

How's the sav. file coming along? Did you test it out some more?

Please do let me know, i would love to have my .sav apply to an updated ROM with all the fixins... then this game would really shine. check out the first post, i added one more optional (should be easy) edit.

yeah the .sav file is coming along nicely, i have been updating my progress in my thread. Ive formulated the RB's and hopefully i can skip the receivers and move on to defense to see how an upgraded D will affect the QB's and RB's boosted stats. I know the Madden ratings for D come out soon.

BTW Knobbe took out all the files i uploaded (sorry again) but i will re-upload them in a link in case anyone else has interest in messing with the ROM.

Edited by ombada

Well, some bad news. The format is not the same as the SNES. I did a hex search for the playbooks and found zilch. I'll have to read the documentation and try the kit you provided.

yeah i figured this was the case. I opened the file up and looked around it with Crystal Tile 2. Its kind of an all in one program. You can explore the ROM and extract almost anything to edit it. I had all the music out for instance. I could listen to it, but i didnt know how to edit it and sub it back in. It has a Tile editing view and a hex coding view... there is a lot to that program.

Tinke and Nitro Explorer do some of the same things... opening the rom, exploring it, extracting from it and re inserting the extracted piece.

Like i said before, the .PDF has a ton of information on general hacking and DS hacking. I would probably at least skim that first with the ROM open in crystal tile 2 and see where that gets you.

Edited by ombada

yeah i figured this was the case. I opened the file up and looked around it with Crystal Tile 2. Its kind of an all in one program. You can explore the ROM and extract almost anything to edit it. I had all the music out for instance. I could listen to it, but i didnt know how to edit it and sub it back in. It has a Tile editing view and a hex coding view... there is a lot to that program.

Tinke and Nitro Explorer do some of the same things... opening the rom, exploring it, extracting from it and re inserting the extracted piece.

Like i said before, the .PDF has a ton of information on general hacking and DS hacking. I would probably at least skim that first with the ROM open in crystal tile 2 and see where that gets you.

I'll check it out. Never heard of these editors. Thanks!

I'll check it out. Never heard of these editors. Thanks!

yeah the DS is a different beast, with familiar insides. Once you actually get inside, from what ive read a lot of it will look familiar to you. But there will be more than what you are used to with NES and SNES, even Genesis.

heres the link to a basic tutorial, it even has a video to show you how to graphic hack the Nintendo start up screen.

http://gbatemp.net/t...m-hacking-guide

Also here is the music ripped from the game.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/369635/TB_KICKOFF_CTBE.zip

Edited by ombada

• 7 years later...

Edit: I like this game and all the unlockables and easter egss

You guys can do what you want I would think the DE name is a RAM issue hard to find without debugger

Edited by GRG