Carther's 1969 Tecmo Superbowl IV for NES is uploaded

Carther

In Super Bowl IV The Chiefs destroyed the Vikngs 23-7 to end the two league era and usher in the merger era, that is about to change as you download and play my new 1969 rom. I have put a ton of time and effort into this and will give a good account of the changes.

*All the standard changes

Skill Position Player Ratings - based on 1966 performance - sliding scale true to the original rom.

O Lines, D-Lines, LB's and DB's - rated as groups by team - also very true to the feel of the orginal rom

uniforms edited

helmets small and large edited

individual and team sim rating edited and extensively tested to give realistic results.

Intro redone to show Bart Starr instead of SFQB, Gayle Sayers instead of DetRB and Deacon Jones instead of NYLB.

Main logo redone.

Offensive play formations. No Shot gun at all. Two Tight End, T-formation, Power I and 1-back only!

*Game Play Changes Hacks

KR/PR hack to fix speed ratings (wow Sayers on Late Season Tecmo Crack scored 3 Kick Off Return TD's on me in one game!)

Bruddog's INT return hack to improve Interception returns

Realistic, Punt and Field Goal Length

Getting Tackled in Endzone on Kick offs and running out of the side of the endzone on Kickoffs results in a Touchback

Quarters are 15:00 and run down in about the same time as the standard 5:00 minute quarters. (30 seconds can run off on the play screen instead of 10)

Kickoffs are from the 40 yard line true to the era

Field Changes

Check out the field for the new sidelines. The outer edge of the white area is the true sideline, but man does the thicker stripe look sooooo much better.

Endzones are a solid color and free from any writing, so you can see your players better.

Tecmo footballs at the 35 yard lines now show the year of the rom.

New skinnier field goal posts. (According to scale those original ones are like 8 feet thick lol!)

New Midfield logo showing the year, superbowl trophy, and correct roman numerals for the year's superbowl. A Special line is added to honor the last year of the AFL.

Divisions and Conferences

The teams are in correct divisions and conferences.

The AFL consists of two 5 team divisions,

The NFL consists of four 4-team divisions.

The Playoffs.

The AFL had the East Division Champion play the 2nd place team from the West and the AFL Western Division champion play the 2nd place team from the East in the Division Round with the winners meeting in the AFL Championship Game. Sim throught the first AFL round as it consists of teams playing themselves.

The Capital-Century division winners play in the division round and the Central-Coastal divisions winners play in the division round. The two winners play in the NFL Championship Game. The NFL wild card games consist of teams playing themselves and may be simmed.

The two Champions (AFL and NFL) meet in Super Bowl IV

I hope you enjoy this rom. Test it out and let me know what you think of A. The Gameplay B. The Field C. The Ratings D. The Fun Factor I appreciate it in advance.

Also being released by Carther:

Carther's 1966 Tecmo Super Bowl I for the NES

Carther's 1967 Tecmo Super Bowl II for the NES

Carther's 1968 Tecmo Super Bowl III for the NES

Special Thanks to: Buck, Denny, Elway(who did the helmets for me about 5 years ago), Knobbe, Maynard G Krebs, Xplosive, Jstout, CXrom and SBlueman as well as all the other TSB hacking pioneers without who's help (archived on this forum) this pre-merger superbowl project would not have been possible.

C1969TSBIV.nes

Edited by Carther

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the hard work, I'm playing this season and it's great! Being a Tecmo hack master, what is your opinion of the Tecmobot 70's roms - how does the gameplay, etc., differ from your AFL mods? Midway through, the 1978 defenses are brutal on the run...

Also, how difficult would it be to add features from the current day mods (halftime stats, in-game play changes)? This is by no means a complaint - I'm just considering trying to work on a mod myself someday...

Thanks again,

Shlobotnik

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On my list to try, I like to play Dallas or a less than great team for the challenge, will have to look up the Dallas stats/players from that year. I should get a detailed season of this started in the next 2-3 weeks and will do some game recaps.

Edited by badwolf99

I finished my first season, so here's my feedback: Gameplay: More challenging than most roms - one of the few times I couldn't take one of my teams to the Super Bowl (I usually play 5 of various strengths, and my Vikings made it to the NFL championship game). That's good, and encourages repeat seasons - I also like that late in the year, it was still possible to gain good yardage with good running backs. The plays that you added are very cool, and the hacks you implemented all help the realism of gameplay - a big thumbs up!

Field: I didn't think I would care much about the field mods, but all the cosmetic changes really do add up to enhance the feel of the game - great job on the midfield graphic, and the clutter-free end zones do help in the red zone...

Ratings: At first some seemed odd, but after playing awhile I saw what you were doing to balance out the overall gameplay. If anything, I might speed up the DB's a bit to curtail the number of big plays. There are always differing opinions on individual players (one of the things that makes new roms fun), so I wont quibble, save for one anomaly I noticed with San Diego - Dickie Post led the AFL in rushing that year, and is good, but the little used Brad Hubbert (3.5 yds per carry in 69, and never more than 650 yds in his career) was a monster, leading everybody with over 1,500 yds.

Fun Factor: Your roms are a lot of fun, and a distinct TSB experience over the course of a season. I'd love to see you do some work on the 1970's, but for now I'll be content with trying to win a season in the late 60's - thanks, again!

• 2 years later...