Carther's 1966 Tecmo Superbowl I Rom is now uploaded

Carther

In Super Bowl I The Packers beat the Chiefs 35-10 but all of that is about to change, as you download and play my new 1966 NES TSB rom.

I have put a ton of time and effort into this and will give a good account of the changes.

*All the standard changes

Skill Position Player Ratings - based on 1966 performance - sliding scale true to the original rom.

O Lines, D-Lines, LB's and DB's - rated as groups by team - also very true to the feel of the orginal rom

uniforms edited

helmets small and large edited

individual and team sim rating edited and extensively tested to give realistic results.

Intro redone to show Bart Starr instead of SFQB, Gayle Sayers instead of DetRB and Deacon Jones instead of NYLB.

Main logo redone.

Offensive play formations. No Shot gun at all. Two Tight End, T-formation, Power I and 1-back only!

*Game Play Changes Hacks

KR/PR hack to fix speed ratings (wow Sayers on Late Season Tecmo Crack scored 3 Kick Off Return TD's on me in one game!)

Bruddog's INT return hack to improve Interception returns

Realistic, Punt and Field Goal Length

Getting Tackled in Endzone on Kick offs and running out of the side of the endzone on Kickoffs results in a Touchback

Quarters are 15:00 and run down in about the same time as the standard 5:00 minute quarters. (30 seconds can run off on the play screen instead of 10)

Kickoffs are from the 40 yard line true to the era

Field Changes

Check out the field for the new sidelines. The outer edge of the white area is the true sideline, but man does the thicker stripe look sooooo much better.

Endzones are a solid color and free from any writing, so you can see your players better.

Tecmo footballs at the 35 yard lines now show the year of the rom.

New skinnier field goal posts. (According to scale those original ones are like 8 feet thick lol!)

New Midfield logo showing the year, superbowl trophy, and correct roman numerals for the year's superbowl

Divisions and Conferences

The teams are in correct divisions and conferences.

NFL's 7 and 8 team divisions.

I do not know how to make a true 7 or 8 team division, but I have made virtual 7 and 8 team divisions. The first division is the AFL East with 5 teams. The second division is the AFL West with 4 teams and Cin-being idle as they did not play until 1968. The third and fourth divisions make up the NFL East and consist of 8 teams. Each of the two division winners will be announced, at the end of the season their records will be compared and the higher ranked team by regular tecmo bowl tiebreakers will be placed in the NFL Championship Game. So in essence the two divisions are judged as one to find the winner of the 8 team division The same will happen for the 5th and 6th divisions which consist of the 7 teams that make up the NFL West division along with NO who is idle until they join the league in 1967.

The Playoffs.

Only the two division winners for the AFL and the two division winners for the NFL make the playoffs. It is set up so that in the wild card round the AFC East winner plays against itself and then advances to play itself in the Division round, they then advance to the championship game. The same happens for all 4 division winners so simply sim all games leading up to the AFL Championship Game and you are good to go.

I hope you enjoy this rom. Test it out and let me know what you think of A. The Gameplay B. The Field C. The Ratings D. The Fun Factor I appreciate it in advance.

Also being released by Carther:

Carther's 1967 Tecmo Super Bowl II for the NES

Carther's 1968 Tecmo Super Bowl III for the NES

Carther's 1969 Tecmo Super Bowl IV for the NES

Special Thanks to: Buck, Denny, Elway(who did the helmets for me about 5 years ago), Knobbe, Maynard G Krebs, Xplosive, Jstout, CXrom and SBlueman as well as all the other TSB hacking pioneers without who's help (archived on this forum) this pre-merger superbowl project would not have been possible.

C1966TSBI.NES

• 2 years later...

These are really amazing roms.  I am having a blast with the 1969 rom.   

The way you set up the Divisions and playoffs is also very cool.

Love all the Hacks. Clock/Returns/etc.  Playbooks on and on really amazing work.

One minor problem that I fixed is Joe Namath's name is misspelled in the 1969 rom.  Not sure about others.

Edited by CoachMac

• 2 years later...

this rom is cool and all, but how do you mess up ratings so bad for a rom?  dick bass 44/69/63 with 94 HP?  wtf is this?  meanwhile, gayle sayers is 44/69/63.  

len dawson 81 PS , 75 PC??  I could go on.  I just can't stand this kind of junk.  nice rom, though.  heck I might redo this one with realistic ratings.  

3 hours ago, buck said:

this rom is cool and all, but how do you mess up ratings so bad for a rom?  dick bass 44/69/63 with 94 HP?  wtf is this?  meanwhile, gayle sayers is 44/69/63.  

len dawson 81 PS , 75 PC??  I could go on.  I just can't stand this kind of junk.  nice rom, though.  heck I might redo this one with realistic ratings.  

His template was Top 4 Rushers in Each League got 63 MS and Bass was a FB.

Nobody got 69 or 75.

Next 4 got 56.

The Original rom had 6 guys with 63 MS or greater..

1966 Rushing Stats

#1 Gale Sayers 1231 yds.

#2 Leroy Kelly 1141 yds

#3 Dick Bass 1090 yds

#4 Bill Brown 829 yds

All 4 of these guys got 63 MS.

Bo Jackson had 698 yds in 1990 and got 75 MS.

Neal Anderson 1078 yds in 1990 and got 63 MS.

It comes down to are you talking 40 times or making the best backs the best backs.

Since MS is really the most important if not only attribute that matters.

I get what he was doing.

I used a similar system.

+1500 yds = 44 RS/63 MS (OJ Simpson was the only one to get this rating)

+1000 yds = 44/56

+750 yds = 44/50

+500 yds = 38/44

+250 yds = 31/38

+100 yds = 25/31

0-99 yds = 25/25

If you were a Power FB.(ex, John Riggins) and I gave you 94 HP it cost you 2 clicks of MS

So my system does make for slower backs which I like.

I think even the Original rom had to many fast backs.

Len Dawson had a QBR of 101.7 26 TD's 10 INT's and led the Chiefs to AFL Championship.

He had a system that the #1 Passer from a season got Top Ratings.

Jim Kelly had a QBR of 101.2 24 TD's and 9 INT's and led the Bills to the AFC Championship and had 75 PC.

My template for QB's was

QBR +100 = 81 PC (Nobody in 1975)

QBR +90 = 75 PC (Tarkenton and Anderson)

QBR +85 = 69 PC

QBR +80 = 63 PC

QBR +70 = 56 PC

QBR +60 = 50 PC

etc...

I used Comp % for APB and QB's had a seperate Rushing Template for MS.

Only PS did I use Reputation/Physical skill/Opinion/Eye Test/Guess

Stabler was my only 81.

Bert Jones was the only 75.

No 69's

Tarkenton, Bradshaw, and Staubach got 63's.

Anderson and Griese got 56's.

Everybody else got 50's or 44's for PS.

I made most back-ups really bad like 38/38/38

Thoughts?

Edited by CoachMac