CoachK - The official project thread

TecmoTurd

I know I said I'd do stuff tonight but I'm lying in bed here exhausted either from my sons all day wrestling meet or starting to get sick. I was really looking forward to some quiet hacking too.

Hopefully back at it tomorrow.

Edited by TecmoTurd

Here's the scoop:

Have already on the base 2010 ROM:
Wisconsin
Mich St
Florida
Kansas
Kentucky
North Carolina
Duke
New Mexico
Syracuse
Villanova
UCONN

Louisville

St. Mary's

Miami (editor's choice)

From the top 25 that need a spot
2 Wichita State (14) 31-0 1555
3 Arizona (5) 27-2 1514
5 Virginia 25-5 1304
10 San Diego State 25-3 995
12 Michigan 21-7 899
13 Creighton 23-5 892
15 Cincinnati 24-5 737
16 Iowa State 22-6 613
17 Saint Louis 25-4 539
20 Memphis 22-7 364
24 Iowa 20-9 94

23 Oklahoma

Teams on the base 2010 ROM that need to be replaced
Empty - Kansas st
Empty - Maryland.
Empty - Butler
Empty - Texas
Empty - Purdue
Empty - Tennessee
Empty - Gonzaga
Empty - Baylor
Empty - Cornell
Empty - Washington
Empty - Xavier
Empty - Marquette
Empty - Georgetown
Empty - Texas A&M
Empty - Ohio St.
Empty - NIU
Empty - Vanderbilt
Empty - W. Virginia
Empty - Pittsburgh
Empty - Temple
Empty - Wake Forest
Empty - Georga Tech
Empty - BYU
Empty - Nebraska
Empty - California
Empty - Richmond

If someone wants to help, they can match up teams needed with teams being replaced, attempting to match team colors as much as possible so we don't need to spend as much time on uniforms. The remaining spots well fill with outliers, editors choices, etc.

Edited by TecmoTurd

I did a little work tonight, here's a couple of things:

Looked into tournament seeding, and it does seem to be hard-coded. I setup a 4-team tourney and each time I created a new tourney, the matchups were the same. So, if we can find out how to set that, it'd be super cool.

Looks like there's close to 50 offensive plays...there are several parent play categories and then you can select anywhere from 3-5 different sub plays (plus an "auto select from this play type" option. Do you know how that all works? Try it yourself in game, you'll see what I mean.

There are about 14 defensive plays, plus some other options you can set. It'd be cool to set these for teams when playing seasons (the ability to turn on "crash boards" and what not for certain teams, and whatnot.

The order of the starters attributes is still a little confusing. Some conversations we had via PM seem to contradict or I'm reading it wrong so I want to clarify. Here's your latest words:

the starters are listed backwards working their way up. The first bench players ratings start at x2A10 and the remaining bench players are listed in order going down.

Is it like this:

Bench7

Bench6

Bench5

Bench4

Bench3

Bench2

Bench1

Starting PG

Starting SG

Starting SF

Starting F

Starting C

Or like this:

Bench1

Bench2

Bench3

Bench4

Bench5

Bench6

Bench7

Starting PG

Starting SG

Starting SF

Starting F

Starting C

If we're shooting for a 2P version exhibition/tourney play for our first phase, then we really only need:

• Blanking out logos (I verified tonight, this is only a problem when choosing P1 or P2, and if you mess it up, you can switch it in game, so I say blank that shit out.
  • Starting lineup order

And for phase 2 (1P season/tourney play)

• Just how the hell setting default playbooks work. I know you gave me SOME info, but I think we need more since I found out there are a lot of options here
  • Sim values...do these exist? It'd be cool to find out how this works so we can see if season play is possible with this
  • Tournament seeding
  • Season schedule (I know you said this was tricky, but if you want to explain it via email (travis at jansens dot us) or FB chat, that'd be groovy
Edited by TecmoTurd

Thanks meet. Still there's a decent size road ahead of us. I'm going to need help from a lot of people or at least a few people to get this done because I can't do it all on my own. And a casual college basketball fan loves March madness so I need to rely on the expertise of others for rosters and whatnot. That said if I get some of that remaining info from the MT remix boys, we should be rolling at least if not for this year for future years to come

The order of ratings is like so:

PG

SG

SF

PF

C

B1

B2

B3

B4

B5

B6

B7

But when you look at team data the pointers are listed like so:

C

PF

SF

SG

PG

B1

B2

B3

B4

B5

B6

B7

I can go in and change it so the ratings and pointer line up so its less confusing. They will both be like this then:

C

PF

SF

SG

PG

B1

B2

B3

B4

B5

B6

B7

Cool I'll take a look. Also I don't think you need to change the pointers considering that I'm just writing attributes and I'm not touching the pointers. So as long as I write them in the order you've listed I think we're good. Also you want Texas included correct?

Edited by TecmoTurd

It doesnt matter about Texas. I think it should be straight up rankings. I can always go in and edit my rom. But the board rom should be legit. Rankings are the best way. We can release a pre tourney rom and a post first round rom. That way one can have the top 32 and the 32 that earn it.

I'm so excited about this project!  I still play Drunken's 2010 every chance I get.  Turd, with all the teams you have to change from 2010 rom have you considered just using the original Coach K game instead?  It may save you time if the team colors and mascots are closer.  I'd also just try and do one rom instead of trying to do a pre and post tourney one as it's quite a task.  People would love a pre-tourney rom with the excitement of the bracket but having the final rankings correct in a post-tourney rom is also nice.  Either way, you all rock.  Thanks!

Fatcheerleader.. where ya been hiding?

I'm so excited about this project! I still play Drunken's 2010 every chance I get. Turd, with all the teams you have to change from 2010 rom have you considered just using the original Coach K game instead? It may save you time if the team colors and mascots are closer. I'd also just try and do one rom instead of trying to do a pre and post tourney one as it's quite a task. People would love a pre-tourney rom with the excitement of the bracket but having the final rankings correct in a post-tourney rom is also nice. Either way, you all rock. Thanks!

we change a lot of pointers to make it easier for a editor. The original crammed everything together. We made it so that all teams have the same space. Less limitations on name sizes, court names, coach names, team info etc. Edited by drunken_honkey

And the option stuff for plays off/def i believe are not defaulted to teams. I believe they are saved only as users. I do not think it can be defaulted to each team. Ill have to look at the sim values. Its gotta be in the team data section somewhereals.. idk. And we will have to come up with a schedule that is easy to edit. Maybe 2 games a day and see how that works out.

pointers and whatnot

So are you saying as long as I write the attributes (not the pointers) in this order for each team:

PG,SG,SF,PF,C,B1,B2,B3,B4,B5,B6,B7 

we're good to go?  If so, I can do that...I'll just have ltrainbu write the players down on the editing sheet in that order.

teams to include

As for teams, I've listed 25 teams...we need to fill in the remaining 15 with something...do they even release rankings past 25? Give me some ideas and we'll include them. 

tournament seeding

I'm still looking at this and trying to figure out what's going on here...looks like there's a default 32, 16, 8, and 2.  I don't know what the "by conference" means on your sheet.  And, the tourney round pointers I'm a little confused about based on your sheet.  You've done a great job dropping all this info on there, but unfortunately I work better with a few examples to understand things.  Once you provide that, I always seem to grasp it better...

And the option stuff for plays off/def i believe are not defaulted to teams. I believe they are saved only as users. I do not think it can be defaulted to each team. Ill have to look at the sim values. Its gotta be in the team data section somewhereals.. idk. And we will have to come up with a schedule that is easy to edit. Maybe 2 games a day and see how that works out.

If that's true about the playbooks, that's good because otherwise that's a big hurdle...but if you can't default a play, then what are the things on the team data for offense and defense where you set the play for A, B, and C?  When you go into team options in a game, you can override it...

And yes, about the schedule, I think something manageable and easy would be nice. If we can map out how it works, maybe I can code some sort of schedule maker for it and then we can let anyone edit the schedule as desired...

Edited by TecmoTurd

If that's true about the playbooks, that's good because otherwise that's a big hurdle...but if you can't default a play, then what are the things on the team data for offense and defense where you set the play for A, B, and C? When you go into team options in a game, you can override it...

And yes, about the schedule, I think something manageable and easy would be nice. If we can map out how it works, maybe I can code some sort of schedule maker for it and then we can let anyone edit the schedule as desired...

you can set the default play but things like crash the boards and press level i believe are default for com and only saved by user names. Ill have to look through the sheet again to verify.

A schedule maker would be sweet. Remember what i said though. It doesnt use a value to know when the days games end, instead you use a value to determine how many games are played that day/month/date. In the string for each day you place the day/month/date. Ie Tuesday March 4th (02 03 04)then the number of games played that day (02) then the home team vs away teams 00 05 09 0A. So the string will look something like this 02 03 04 (day/month/date) 02 (# of games to be played) 00 05 (the #1 team vs #6 team) 09 0A (the #10 team vs. #11 team). I believe the first team is the home team. Ill have to double check and see if i missed any other values that are in it. Im just pulling info off the top of my head. Ill be off at 5 or 7. Ill look at it again tonight.

Edited by drunken_honkey

Ok, but we still need to figure how to set default playbooks for each team...is it a number from $0 - $50 (or however many plays there are)?

As for the scheuld maker, that makes perfect sense...the only thing I'd need to know is how much room I have to work with...how many bytes do I get to make the schedule for the entire season?  If I know that, a schedule maker would be easy (I could give you a running total of how many games are left to be able to be scheduled... 

Ok, but we still need to figure how to set default playbooks for each team...is it a number from $0 - $50 (or however many plays there are)?

As for the scheuld maker, that makes perfect sense...the only thing I'd need to know is how much room I have to work with...how many bytes do I get to make the schedule for the entire season? If I know that, a schedule maker would be easy (I could give you a running total of how many games are left to be able to be scheduled...

Yes to setting up the default plays. It looks like the com will run the "A" plays most for off and def. So that play should be that teams best fit.

Ill work on the space for schedules. Ill follow it out and see how many bytes are available.

Edited by drunken_honkey