CoachK - The official project thread

TecmoTurd

Ok -  thanks for the update. I'm a Butler grad, so getting to play with them in Coach K would be awesome! I was able to find one version with them in the game, but the roster wasn't the most accurate - probably still a work in progress.

And not sure how familiar you guys are with the game - probably much more now than you ever dreamed of back when you started the project - but it is awesome to play with 4 players because it keeps track of the stats of each separate user and awards a user of the game at the end. Makes the game that much more fun because you can instantly check the user stats and see who was carrying the load and who was struggling. Not very many games do this for some reason, but it is a great feature.

Well, I have all the info, I had sent some questions that needed answering a whole back regarding plays and some other stuff. Get those answered and I can release an editor some time this year.

We're so close, but I don't want to rely on something with bugs.

Also, if graphics are too much, making them generic would be a possibility

Still, I think the project is dead for now, which is sad.

Well im almost done with my graphical work on our TSB3 college edit. Still lots we want to do. Im for generic graphics on coack k. Instead of team logos I was thinking conference logos. Quick edit to change the pointers to the conference graphic. I could make as many conference logos if not all. Then youd just have to go to a teams pointer and edit which logo it points to.

Everything in that post under needs discussion, and the bugs are really what's necessary. The game can still be played without the rest, but it'd be nice to get it all cleared up and then won't have to bug you again.

The other thing to note is if we don't want to mess with logos, blanking them out would be easy. The only time they are really needed is on the team select screen and people can just remember which side they need to pick. I think ou can even switch it in game if you get it wrong.

Edited by TecmoTurd

This would be awesome to get this completed and breathe some new life into a great game!

As a huge fan of the original, I would say making the rosters realistic would be priority #1. The rosters from the original game were surprisingly accurate, even though there was no easy way to check back then. But with the internet, nailing down those rosters and who the starters were should be an easy task.

That being said, is the plan to continue to base the game on the 2010-11 season? I don't care either way, but if you are thinking about removing team logos and haven't updated the players/rosters yet, what would hold you back from basing it off this current season? Just throwing it out there as the CK Madness rom I looked at was missing some powers that were down at that time like Indiana, Michigan & Arizona. And obviously the Cinderellas change every year too - I'm sure Dunk City would be a popular addition to the game. Just base them on Maryland's team in the original as they lob like crazy too!

That sounds awesome - especially for rookies like me!

What details would you be able to edit? Because if it becomes that easy to change/edit rosters and appearances, was wondering if it would be smart to fill the game with teams with staying power, for example any team that made it to the Final Four since 1990 (there have been 39) or something like that so that the game would never feel outdated (could probably remove some one hit wonders that don't seem to be as revelvant anymore to make room for others that never made it like a Purdue).

Then depending on what you want your game to be based on, the individual user could change the rosters to be based on the current year's team (2012 Duke), a specific year's team (1992 Duke) or an all-time team (the best of Duke).

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying this, but just a thought to give the update some staying power...

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Simply based on following from afar, but things tend to heat up on the Coach K front around tournament time in March, but the fire burns out quickly after the tournament is over and no real progress gets made.

So any chance I can stoke the fire now and see if something could get done in time to play a new version of the rom when the tournament rolls around in three months?

I really wish I could help with the process, but the coding is way over my head. So I realize I'm just a big fan of the game hoping to give it a second life, but figure it can't hurt to throw something out there and see what happens.

Sorry man, no progress will be made on this unless I get the missing data I need.  I tried for 3 years and I have completely given up at this point.   I don't have the ROM knowledge to figure that part out, I only know how to code based on the data that I'm given.

So, we're left with a partially updated ROM that is missing a good amount of stuff.  That, along with my almost non-involvement in game hacking these days, I'd say this project ain't gonna happen unless you find:

Someone who knows the genesis and hacking it, cares about the project

+ Someone to finish coding an editor with the data received from the person above

I'd be happy to HELP with the second part, but that's where my expertise ends.