Tomczak Bowl V - 12/8/12 - Waterloo, IA, Expanded to 56 People. More Welcome to Join.

Beef Juice

Battle of Waterloo: My Thoughts

It's about a 4.5 hour drive from Lincoln to Spicoli's in Waterloo. The road conditions were perfect except for about the first 50 miles of the trip home (snowing/slushy roads). On the way, I drove while Knobbe and my brother played each of the tourney tiers in the back of my Tahoe. The Godfather lived up to the hype and is not only very knowledgeable about the game, but also a super guy. His fake Russian accent grows on you as the night and the rum and cokes roll on too.

There were 52 players total if I remember right and some really good ones including: Luke C. (Omaha), Smoolorf, Imimortl, Gridiron, Adversity, 8-Bit, 2 loud/fun guys from Waverly (sorry forgot names but Norwood jersey and Bears jersey), and the dude who got 2nd (sorry, forgot his name too and I only watched about 30 seconds of any of his games, but he can obviously play if he got to the finals). Luke won a close one in the finals with a 49ers/Oilers matchup. He said he hadn't played since Madison last year, but it didn't take him long to shake off the rust. He's an excellent player and I believe the last person to beat Chet H. in tourney play (Nebraska II). He plans to go to both the Lincoln and Madison tourneys again this year.

I played an OT thriller versus Adam (Smoolorf) in the Elite 8 (Ickey Woods Region) and was barely able to squeak it out thanks to winning the OT coin toss and some James Brooks heroics (CIN/MIA). In the Final 4, Luke beat me 10-0 (SD/PITT) to advance to the finals. I was glad a Nebraska guy won at least. I got smoked in the 3rd place game by Adversity (KC/CHI). My goal was a Final 4 berth, so I'm happy. Would have been nice to win some $ though, 4th place is a jelly of the month club membership.

Jake (Beef Juice) was a cool guy and the tourney ran smooth, props to him. The trophy was even cooler in person. I can't remember the guy's name with the homemade Tomczak jersey on, but he was cool and helpful also. The location was about as good as you can get for a Tecmo tournament, plenty of room, good food, cheap booze, etc. They gave away a lot of weird stuff in the raffles, we were all heartbroken that none of us won "The Year in Sports 1991" VHS tape since we had a VCR on the TV we were using to play Tecmo on the ride down. Both bands sucked beyond belief after the tourney was over (think Creed mixed with any other shitty band), but at least there were some females in the bar finally. Most of the tecmoers left right after the tourney, but us three Nebraska drunks helped Luke celebrate til around midnight. The highlight of the trip may have been Knobbe asking the band (hardcore screaming rock dudes) if they could play Tub Thumping by Chumbawamba. The guy told him "no, but we will try to learn it by next week". So if anyone is in the Waterloo area next week, go see Janus and let us know how the Chumbawamba sounded.

After we left, we drove through McDonald's and the gal working stiffed me 4 pennies because she didn't want to walk to the front to get a new roll of them and god forbid she gives me a nickel. This is how they make their billions, four pennies at a time. We stayed at the Days Inn, which actually wasn't horrible for $82/night.

That's all I can remember now, but overall a good tourney and a great time. Met some good guys and good players. Knobbe said he will post some pictures soon of the winners and the trophy. Feel free to add stuff I may have forgot or totally botched, I was a little over-served myself and am still trying to piece it all together.

Your Friend in Tecmo,

Moulds

Edited by moulds33

Battle of Waterloo: My Thoughts

They gave away a lot of weird stuff in the raffles, we were all heartbroken that none of us won "The Year in Sports 1991" VHS tape since we had a VCR on the TV we were using to play Tecmo on the ride down.

I won that, but I don't have a VHS player :/ it does look pretty sweet thou.

Nice Review. I had a great time in Waterloo, will b back forsure.

Congrats to Luke C. for winning Tomczak Bowl V and taking home that sweet trophy.

I'm happy I made it to the round of 26 at least. The level of competition was incredible. Between the Nebraska crew, the Burkhardt brothers and their QB armband crib sheets, and the folks from around Waterloo and elsewhere in Eastern Iowa, some great Tecmo was played.

There was an epic quarterfinal game between Gridiron and someone else who I can't recall right now (Niners/Raiders) that went into OT. A friend of mine afterwards exclaimed, "That was the greatest game of Tecmo I've ever seen in my life."

Another amazing moment was in group play there was the rare WR tipped pass that was intercepted by Rod Woodson. That's like seeing a Sasquatch in the Tecmo world.

Jake and Justin, the two Waverly guys were a crack up the whole time and pretty damn good players too. Later on they even had groupies there cheering them on.

Overall the whole tourney was a success and I look forward to doing it again next year.

Pencil in 12-14-13 in your calendar.

There was an epic quarterfinal game between Gridiron and someone else who I can't recall right now (Niners/Raiders) that went into OT. A friend of mine afterwards exclaimed, "That was the greatest game of Tecmo I've ever seen in my life."

I believe it was 2nd place finisher Steve. Here is an extremely poor photograph of the final screen

post-4606-0-90306900-1355161326_thumb.jp

It was a Brisk December Wind...Blowing off the Permafrosted plains. IOWA Steve went head to head with GRIDIRON, in

CALIFORNIA'S BEST THE NINERS FROM THE BAY AREA....AND THE RRRRRRAIDERS FROM LA..it was a showdown that would send shockwaves up the fault line measuring 8.5 on the richter scale.

Gridiron selects Niners and kicks the ball to Iowa Steve's Raiders. This would be a Brilliant O. showdown as Bo Jackson was rocking 3 out of 4 of Steves runs and was moving the ball as Gridiron and the Niners were picking mostly pass. The first drive would be successful as a long cross-field pass would put the Raiders inside the 10 and Bo did the rest 7 Zip.

Niners responded with some magic of their own and after a few dashes by Craig....Jerry Rice caught a Jumping TD one on one over a Rick Ellison of the Raiders Linebacking core and a nice 44 INT. 7-7

Bo Jackson and an ocasional run by Allen moved the ball in small sprits but a large gash by Bo for 65 after an attempted Bump left Ronnie Lot squashed flat. 7-14..Raiders

SF started hot again as a few short passes to Rathman put Niners in striking position and Rice did the rest with an open pass and run for 50. 14-14 and they would take it to the locker room for half time.

SF would take the ball and score. Bo Jackson would take the ball and get stuffed once or twice then Bust out a big run for 20 pushing the Raiders down field with good stick play and play selection as Gridiron was on his heals by Bo in now Good condition.The play action did its job and put it in the end zone. 21-21 after 3.

4th Q. was much of the same however durring a deep JJ attempt rice was not jumping and after a quick check from Gridiron the Niners entire offense was in BAD condition except for Brad Jones the tighend. The niners kept in the game Montana and Rice and made a connection regardless for a deep 80 yard dive. But BO knows drives and ran several great cut backs to get the score with little time left but a deep kickoff...28-28 ALLL.

OVERTIME:

Raiders get the toss and choose to receive.

3 runs by Bo and 3 stops by Gridiron and the Niners. 4th and 6 at the 25 yard line and Raiders call Bo's number again but a quick dive by Halley stopped him at the line. Niners Ball.

Niners, unsure of a 35 yard field-goal on first down run the ball with Craig who cough's it up on the first carry after Raiders picked the same play as Niners. Craig was told to "hit the showers" as Bill Walsh couldnt believe what had just happened. The Raiders get back the ball at the 30. 3 Runs by Bo Jackson and 3 big stops by Charles Halley and the Niners D. Raiders PUNT on 4th and give the niners the ball on their 20. Montana dropps back to the corner of the end zone and waits...chucks a deep one to Jerry Rices who dives across the goal line only to have a waiting Rick Ellison Intercept the pass giving the Raiders the ball on their 20.

Moving the sticks once, then Bo gets stopped twice leaving him a 3ed and 32 from his 10 yard line.

40 ticks left in OT Bo gets the call and third and loong and as Lot gets entangled with the blockers Bo runs swiftly out and crosses the 50 to get tackled in bounds at the 43 yard line........ spiraling downward to 14 seconds the raiders quickly select for FG quickly nailed the long FG to win in OT for Iowa Steve and the Raiders. 31-28 Raiders win! Ice Cube Storms the field!

great epic battle! one for the ages.

I was happy to see so many good players make the trip from Cedar Rapids, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Win. Jake and Endo from Waverly brought an excitement to the place that every tecmo tourney needs. I feel for Steve from Cedar Rapids, playing with the Niners up by 7 with a couple of ticks left in the third quarter and holds Luke (Oilers) to a 4th and 10 on the Oilers own 20. Luke thinks about going for it for what seemed like a full minute then finally decides to punt, fielded by Rathman who is tied up and then coughs it up on a dive tackle, Oilers scoop and score to tie it up, a monumental momentum shift in the championship, rough stuff, Luke eventually pulls out the victory, congrats to him. All in all a great tourney thanks to Jake and Nick for putting it on and opening it to the public, Hope to see as many people that can make it back to Spicolies in early Feb. for the Bars sponsored 3rd annual tourney. Ill talk to Rob this week and try and get some info up as soon as I can.

Thanks to Jake and Nick for organizing the tournament - it was buckets of fun!

Also, thanks Gridiron for the write-up of our epic match. One minor correction: Gridiron and I played in the round of 16.

There was some great Tecmo being played down the stretch.

In the round of 8, I played Endo from Waverly. I was the Chiefs vs his Eagles. He came back from a 14-0 deficit, but in the end, the Eagles offensive line couldn't block computer Neil Smith.

In the semi-finals, I played Adversity. I was the Falcons vs his Cardinals. Johnny Johnson had a couple of first-half fumbles and eventually got benched. Deion Sanders shut the door on a comeback attempt with a INT on a bomb in the 4th quarter.

Finally, the championship was Luke's Oilers vs my 49ers. Richard Johnson and Ray Childress shut down my offense, and on offense, Luke was good at finding open receivers. Play of the game was when Bruce Matthews forced a fumble on a Tom Rathman punt return, which was returned for a TD. I had a chance to run a two-minute drill at the end of the game, but by this point, my offense was so one-dimensional that most of my plays were picked by the defense.

I'm looking forward to the next tournament at Spicoli's in February, and maybe traveling to Madison this March.

The highlight of the trip may have been Knobbe asking the band (hardcore screaming rock dudes) if they could play Tub Thumping by Chumbawamba. The guy told him "no, but we will try to learn it by next week". So if anyone is in the Waterloo area next week, go see Janus and let us know how the Chumbawamba sounded.

This moment in time didn't exist for me until I read this, but now it's coming back. I'm still not sure how to pronounce the band's name. Jan-us, Jane-us, Yawn-us?

Does anyone have a copy of the final they can upload?