The New York Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament - October 13, 2012

Rob, you can send me their info via e-mail, but it is better for them to contact me. They should include their name, location, cell #, and any equipment they are able to bring.

Also, please note that we are very close to our original intended capacity of 32 participants. From this point, I am likely creating a stand-by list. What this means is that we will continue to register participants, but I will need to speak with Break (the location) about having more participants (I initially told them 32). I plan on making a visit in the next week or so, but just be mindful of this if you or anyone else wants to sign up.

I sent an e-mail to participants yesterday about arrival, format, and rules. Here it is, in case anyone is curious:

Arrival:

Being on time is imperative. Please arrive before 11:45 AM the day of the tournament. If you are bringing any kind of equipment, please arrive at 11:30 AM to help set up. Make sure your equipment is labeled properly so that we know it is yours. As the tournament gets closer, we will contact you to verify what you are bringing.

Tournament Format:

The tournament format will take place in three rounds.

First Round: The first round will be pool play, in which participants are divided into separate pools of four to five players. Each player will play another player in their pool once. The top 24 players from the first round will advance (with a minimum of two players from each pool) to the second round elimination bracket.

Pool winners are given higher seeds and sorted by record and point differential. All remaining participants advancing to the second round elimination bracket will be sorted by point differential. The maximum point differential amount allowed for one game is 28 points to prevent any lopsided victories in pool play.

Second Round: The second round will be a single elimination bracket. Players ranked 9-24 from pool play will face one another to see who will play the top 8 players from pool play. The 16 players remaining will play one more single elimination game to see which 8 players will advance to the final round of play

Third Round: The final 8 players remaining will play in a double elimination bracket to determine the 2012 New York Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament Champion.

For this tournament, we currently have 32 participants signed up. If that number falls below 32 for whatever reason, the tournament format is subject to change. Note that some pools may be uneven depending on the number of players who attend the day of the tournament. These pools may need to follow special rules.

Team Selection:

Team Selection for Each Matchup: A coin will be flipped before each game. The coin-flip winner will choose the matchup (i.e. the two teams). The coin-flip loser then selects either (a) one of the two teams or ( B) his preferred controller. If the coin-flip loser selects his preferred controller, the coin-flip winner selects a team first.

Note about Matchups: The coin-flip winner can only select a particular matchup once throughout the entire tournament. For instance, if Player A wins the toss and selects Rams-Broncos, Player A cannot call that exact matchup for the rest of the tournament. Player B, however, is free to select that matchup later in the tournament. Unlike last year, the 49ers are allowed as a choice.

Note about Winning the Toss: The coin-flip winner defer the coin toss to allow his opponent to choose teams first if he wishes.

Tournament Rules:

Equipment Failure: If equipment fails during the game, games will be replayed from the start unless it is halftime. After halftime, scores are taken from the half and another half is played. Scores from each half are added together to form the final score. Ties are allowed in pool play. If the game is tied in elimination play, then a new game is started with the first person to score being the winner. Any malfunction caused by human error may result in an automatic forfeit due to the discretion of the tournament organizers.

Playbooks and Player Conditions: Playbook changes are allowed before all game. Participants are allowed to substitute players and check conditions throughout the game as they wish.

Onside Kicks: Onside Kicks are allowed at any time (i.e.- "at your own risk").

Lurching: Lurching is not allowed (dive tackling over the line of scrimmage with a DL). DL use is allowed, but you must either go outside the Offensive Tackle or grapple an OL to rush.

WR/TE at RB: Running the ball with a WR or TE from the RB position is prohibited. WRs or TEs are allowed to run the ball on reverses.

Note: If both parties playing agree to not abide by any of the last three rules, then it will be allowed.

Rules from the Tournament Location:

Outside Food and Drink is Prohibited: Break Bar & Billiards has a very strict policy against any outside food or drink. Please do not bring any food or drink inside the bar under any circumstance. Food, soft drinks, and alcoholic beverages (aka- Tecmo fuel) are available for purchase at the bar.

Under 21: If you are under 21 years of age, you must alert both the tournament organizers and the bar manager of your age. You will need to wear a wristband for the duration of your time at Break.

Break is very generous to let us use their space. Please abide by their rules so we can keep this tournament going for years to come.

Please feel free to invite friends and spectators. We encourage you to stick around for the whole tournament to cheer others on. Also, we will be raffling off a few items throughout the day. I hope to have a list of different pools posted the day before the tournament. If you are bringing any equipment and have not let me know by now, I will need to know by September 30th.

Hi Guys. (and for those of you I've already emailed, sorry for the spam).

I'm a freelance reporter in the city. Former avid Tecmo SB player and I'm interested in doing a short 8-10 minute documentary on this event.

Problem is, in order to get the green light, I have a few questions I need answered and was hoping to get some help.

My print work has been in the NY Daily News (You can google that and Joe Jenkins to prove I'm legit).

Please shoot me an email at [email protected] when you get a moment so we can speak.

Thanks for the help, gang!

New York City area players,

Some of you have been asking about being able to practice against other players before the Tournament. We can meet at Break Wednesday, October 3rd for a warmup to the tourney in the evening if you are available. Please coordinate with me if you are coming and if you can bring anything (console, cartridge, etc.).

hey choas....wanted to know if you can or can't "defer the matchup" if you won the coin-toss? Last year a couple of players deferred the matchup choice after winning the coin-toss. I like the ad too. Cant wait to pay 13 bucks to cross a bridge lol (its a dollar in upstate wny to get accross grand island to get 2 niagara falls)

Yeah, I think we allowed that last year. I don't see why we would be opposed to it this year.

Are you referring to the George Washington Bridge or the Triboro Bridge? There's a way to get to Queens avoiding both of those and only spending $1.50 on tolls. First, to cross the Hudson River, you can take the Bear Mountain Bridge about an hour north of the city. Then, instead of taking the Triboro when you get to NYC, you can go into Manhattan and take the Queensborough Bridge from Manhattan to Queens. The Triboro is quicker, so it may add a little more time (10-20 mins) onto your journey, but you'll save $$ on tolls.

Give credit for the flyer to deadfaulkner, who has done all the promo stuff for the tourney. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who came out and joined in the Tecmo festivities. Everyone was in such a positive and Tecmo-loving mood. Special thanks to Matt Bird for doing the artwork/video/posterboard and all the other ways he helped this tournament run smoothly. The top finishers were:

1. Francis Buennagel

2. Brian Rausse

3. Erik Merliss

4. Louis Buennagel

5. Kevin Smith/Matt DeGeorge

It was me vs. Francis (mort) in the finals. I was coming from the loser's bracket, so that meant I had to win 2 games to win the Championship and almost did. After defeating Francis in an exciting Raiders vs. Vikings matchup where Jay Schroeder went wild, I had chose a Phoenix vs. Dallas matchup for the final game. I had the lead 10-7 in the 4th quarter with the ball, but Francis kept me to a FG for a 13-7 lead with under 3 minutes to play.

-For the final drive, I picked pass defense every play.

-For the final drive, Francis picked a Smith running play every play.

-Dallas scores with under 30 seconds left in the game. 14-13 championship victory.

One of the unfortunate things about running the tourney is that I miss out on a lot of the great matchups that go on between players. There were a lot of great games the entire day. The one that I really got to watch was the 4 OT thriller between Erik (Pit) and Matt DeGeorge (Phx). They played the equivalent of almost two games to finally decide a winner.

Please share your recaps and what you remember about the tourney! Also, please offer up any suggestions that you might have that can improve upon this year's tournament.

1. My thanks goes out to Brian R. for running a great and fun tournament..

2. Observations....2a...My group was tough...i came out flat and paid for it. Matt DeGeorge really had a good tourney...i didn't get to see his 4 OT thriller between Erik (Pit) and Matt DeGeorge (Phx). I actually lost to Matt D. on the same matchup on a j.j. in pool play. Marshall M. running game was solid...he had a "chet holzbauer like playbook" vs me in pool play. From now on im not sleeping on my games in pool play and using my best teams and matchups from the get go. 2b...Brian "Choas" R played so well...had big wins over mort, me, pete "cuban tecmo" dorsey and erik merliss. And almost beat mort twice in championship games. 2c...Speaking of my rival brother "Mort" he kicked my ass in the semis...im now 1-3 vs him in tourneys...had an perfect matchup for him too (he picked the team i wanted bad)......and congrats to him for winning the tourney. 2d..I was impressed at level of play by guys like Mort (f. buennagel), arncoem ( erik merliss, choas (brian r.), cuban tecmo (pete dorsey...the guy in mask lol). tadoes (kevin smith), David T., Matthew D. and Marshall M.

3. My Games...I was drinking a lot so i dont remember all the details in each game. After going1-2 to in pool play....i advanced to single elimnation. I won my first game and then faced David T. Of Hokoben NJ....I call KC VS CIN i believe...he took cin...I lost to em' in the uconn tourney and knew he was a solid player. i won 24-7 i think....we traded td's in the first half....then my defense forced 3 turnovers to make a close game appear lopsided...

Double Elimination...My third game was wild 1...CIN (me) vs KC (???) W10-7..My opponent picks the teams i just used...this was a wild game...first of all i was stuck with bad controller (the newer style nes controller) that neutrlized my tapping abilities. I asked brian r. if i could switch it but it was against the rules....brian r. was middle of a wild game vs pete dorsey i think at the time (he probably didnt realize how bad the controller was cuz he was playing...so i decide to tough it out). I learn on the fly how to stop someone who can outtap me (due to the bad controller)...and the score is tied 7-7 at start of the 4th quater. This was style game that i love the most... i like a strong d, good kicking game-units game play (i blocked an fg in the first half) and good runners going at it on both sides. My oppenent was driving within fg range with 3min n change left... and i pushed him back due to david fulcher and a "picked play". So its 4th down on his 48...Decision time...Punt or go for the fg for him. He punts (i think he didnt know that he had the best kicker in the game...plus i already blocked1)...I get the ball back and drive within fg range but fumble with 30 secs left. he gets the ball back at his 20 and throws a pick to david fulcher on short sideline pass...i get out of bounds...and kick the game winnner as time expires.

Game 4...L 7-24???? Cle (Me) VS Pitt (mort)...I called this matchup wanting pitt. I seem to play well with pitt vs him...but he knows this to well and i get cle. I get the ball first and march down the fieldwith qb browns scrambling and passing for a 7-0 lead but it went downhill from there. Mort is really good at passing to wr's who seem to be covered on "9 routes". That and my offense taking the 2nd half off killed me.

Game 5 W 16-10??? NYG (me) VS BUF (tadoes)...Both me and Kev were coming off tough loses to mort. Actually i think he should beat mort but thats a different story. I got off to good start 7-0 due good mix of run of pass. Added an fg due to an qb bills pick and then i held on at the end. All game i contained the run without picking run plays..and picked shotgun passing plays almost everytime. 2 picks of qb bills was big.

Game 6 L 6-31 CHi (me) vs KC (choas)...Down 6-7 with less then 18 seconds in first half brian r. connnected on long j.j. to go up 14-6 at half. Two second half fumbles on first two posseions killed me. But i give brian credit he held me to 2 fg's in first half...and outtapped me after catching the long jj pass before half.

4. Buffalo "bounty" Tecmo Tourney???....I think it would cool to have an bounty tecmo tourney. Id love to host an tourney next year. what you guys think???

5.. Suggestions: A. It seemed people could pick the same matchup more than once after they advanced to double elimnation....tell me if i am wrong but i thought that rule was that "The coin-flip winner can only select a particular matchup once throughout the "entire tournament". It seemed that rule was changed during tourney because a couple of players still alive in double-elimanation said you could re-use matchups. I noticed Matt D. used the same matchup vs Erik merliss...im not sure who called it though. Next year please annouce this before the double-elimnation starts. I know its tough playing and running a tourney at the same time too...

I'd like to say i was a fun tourney and everyone played great. lots of good competition and good people. a brief recap. the guys in my group played well despite the misfortune of me being added to there group. elimination round was one game where my opponent chose a bad matchup that gave me the rams vs saints, i like the rams too.

in the double elim kevin (tadoas) was the most improved player of the tourney. he can outtap me and played a good game. in the den sd matchup i excel with cb 2 and byrd came up with 2 jj ints. i think i would have lost without those picks.

in the next game lou ran into a hell of a strom. in excellent it took till the 4th quarter but i got the long dead pitt garbage game going. meanwhile qb browns played one of his worst games ever.

i used my best matchup minn vs det on erik and my defense plus my luck got the best of him. i started off with a fumblerooski kickoff return. my second of the toruney. from there i contained sanders and shut down the det offense in the fourth quarter.

after a long bye i called a minn vs raiders hoping i would get a similar performace from the vikes d as i did in the minn vs det. i did not and only stayed in the game with some miraculous 4th down and goal conversions. it was not enough as i was down 3 and unable to get space to call a end of game jj.

game 2 i thought my luck had ran out as i could not break out or stop the fumbles. luckly i got one last chance and then 4 runs later i finally got through his defense. that was the best title game i ever seen or played in.

gj guys and i can't wait till the next tourney.

• 3 weeks later...

Yo fellas.... (excuse me if there are any ladies on the forum)

Just joined the site after discovering... it is glorious indeed. I am in Jersey and looking to get a tournament going maybe in Jersey City or nearby. Just across the river from Manhattan. I have a bunch of guys who will play but looking to open it up to 48 or more.

Any help on how to post this to the main site in general or how to create a tournament on the site? I am thinking January/ February. I need to scout a spot out and then open up registration.

1) let me know if interested

2) any help on posting this to the tournament are on the site?

Thanks

Stu Clutterbuck

[email protected]

Stu,

Use this forum for any sort of organizing and/or questions you might have before your tournament.

When you're ready to announce the tournament start a new topic here and I'll pin it to the top and get it in the calendar.

• 3 weeks later...

The image didn't load properly. If I could've kept one card out of all the groups, it would have been Tommy Kane. Glad someone is enjoying it. :)

Oh yeah, not sure if I posted it here before, but there were 9 pools total, each named after a "Tecmo Legend." The winner of each pool received an autographed card of the player whose group they were in.

Pool Names:

Group Humphrey

Group Lippett

Group Kane

Group Childress

Group Landeta

Group Fernandez

Group Reed

Group Webb

Group Carrier

Group Clifton (not used)

Sorry you had to be the odd man out of pool winners. It made it a little bit of a tougher road. There were quite a few pool winners who got knocked out in the single elimination round. We might have to go to single elim next year because the tourney lasted way past the time we were supposed to be using the bar. :oops:

• 4 weeks later...