Interceptions...where to stand?

moulds33

When controlling a defender while a pass is in the air, where should you position yourself for the maximum chance for an interception? Should you "mirror" the receiver exactly or stand a little bit in front of him, maybe just a tick above or below?

Just curious, if it even matters. Some guys seem better at jumping interceptions than others, so with those certain studs should you try to stay in front of WRs at a slight angle?

What say you?

When controlling a defender while a pass is in the air, where should you position yourself for the maximum chance for an interception? Should you "mirror" the receiver exactly or stand a little bit in front of him, maybe just a tick above or below?

Just curious, if it even matters. Some guys seem better at jumping interceptions than others, so with those certain studs should you try to stay in front of WRs at a slight angle?

What say you?

Great question.......I just get as close to the receiver as possible, and hit 'A' & 'B' as fast as I can.......and if it's a QB like Grogan, and he launches a rainbow, I push up and the buttons........It seems to make the defender jump...but I'm really not sure if it does anything...again, great question.

Ok seriously....

As far as even being able to even make a jump interception. Your DBS current interception rating must be at least 3 notches higher than the QBS current pass control rating. That gives you a 50 pct chance. If it is 4 rating points higher you have a 100 pct chance.

You need to be slight in front of the wr. Thus the ball gets to your spot on the field before the WRs. Sometimes the angle needed is weird.

Also it seems harder to jump int high ps QBS. Possibly because of the trajectory of the ball.

Ok seriously....

As far as even being able to even make a jump interception. Your DBS current interception rating must be at least 3 notches higher than the QBS current pass control rating. That gives you a 50 pct chance. If it is 4 rating points higher you have a 100 pct chance.

You need to be slight in front of the wr. Thus the ball gets to your spot on the field before the WRs. Sometimes the angle needed is weird.

Also it seems harder to jump int high ps QBS. Possibly because of the trajectory of the ball.

Thanx! Are you just messin' around or is that a REAL interception code?

Ok seriously....

If your DB INT is 2 points higher (or less) than QB PC, then there is zero chance of a jump int?

The first reply was a joke...that code worked for a couple different games.

The second reply was real.

Rod- yes if you are only 2 notches above qb pc you have 0 pct chance of jj int.

Starting at 3 notches below pc you have a chance at whiffing or doing nothing.

3= 12.5pct

4= 33pct

5= 50pct

6= 64pct

7= 75pct

8= 85pct

9= 93pct

10=100pct

Thus Montana vs 19int scrub lb = whiff city

In REAL competition, I usually use the Cardinals 1st, and Lonnie Young gets picc's for me standing, running, jumping, sliding, backflipping, cartwheeling, & while he's doing yoga on the middle of the NFL shield at the 50 yard line. I'm not just a Cardinal homer, but I really think Lonnie Young might be the best defensive back in Super Tecmo Bowl.

Here's my Top 5:

1) Lonnie Young

2) Darrell Green

3) Rod Woodson

4) Ronnie Lott

5) Wayne Haddix

................as much as I love Deion Sanders, he did not make my top 5. He'd be 6. Unfortunately, in my experience, Prime Time is one of those guys who seem to play UNDER his stat capability.......I don't know, maybe it's just me. Now in the Super Nintendo version, that's a whole nother' story.

Edited by ~Tailback King~

I love that this is the part you decide to comment on. NOT the knowledge he dropped on you. LOL

:) Yeah, i'm a contra fanboy too.

I'd love to sit down and just play the game with you guys and pick your brains for awhile. I haven't played for a long-time, but am just now getting back into it. I bought a top-loading NES and am hoping to play in a few tourneys this year. I held my own last year at the Lincoln tourney, but hadn't played in years. I hoping this year I can get up to Madison, seems like a great time.

Edited by moulds33

Top 10:

wayne HADDIX

david FULCHER

richard JOHNSON

rod WOODSON

mark CARRIER

gill BYRD

joey BROWNER

dave WAYMER

martin MAYHEW

deion SANDERS

if you are argue, you are drunk.

Top 10:

wayne HADDIX

david FULCHER

richard JOHNSON

rod WOODSON

mark CARRIER

gill BYRD

joey BROWNER

dave WAYMER

martin MAYHEW

deion SANDERS

if you are argue, you are drunk.

Martin Ma........Ma.......Ma........MAY-HEW!!!!!!!!!!! (that's a sneeze) your list is almost perfect, except I think Ronnie is better than Mayhew.....that's all I'd change. How DOESN'T Lonnie Young make your top 10??? He's the ONLY guy that I ever got a 99 yard interception return touchdown with.

Edited by ~Tailback King~

:) Yeah, i'm a contra fanboy too.

I'd love to sit down and just play the game with you guys and pick your brains for awhile. I haven't played for a long-time, but am just now getting back into it. I bought a top-loading NES and am hoping to play in a few tourneys this year. I held my own last year at the Lincoln tourney, but hadn't played in years. I hoping this year I can get up to Madison, seems like a great time.

If nothing else you'll be able to tune up at this year's Lincoln tourney

I try to "time" my defender's path to get to the receiver *right* as the ball gets there. seems like you get more INTs this way.

I very much agree with this. Bruddog's wizardry may say otherwise but I always feel like this is the case.

In REAL competition, I usually use the Cardinals 1st, and Lonnie Young gets picc's for me standing, running, jumping, sliding, backflipping, cartwheeling, & while he's doing yoga on the middle of the NFL shield at the 50 yard line. I'm not just a Cardinal homer, but I really think Lonnie Young might be the best defensive back in Super Tecmo Bowl.

Here's my Top 5:

1) Lonnie Young

2) Darrell Green

3) Rod Woodson

4) Ronnie Lott

5) Wayne Haddix

................as much as I love Deion Sanders, he did not make my top 5.

Are you the same dude that rated Johnny F'n Johnson over Bo Jackson and Barry Sanders?

I understand you are a cardinals fan.

The reason why you can play better with your Cardinals is because you are better with that team, becasue you know that team. They are comfortable to you. Not only that, but because you have played 1000 games with your cardinals, the next closest team might only have 100 games. because of this you get used to the opponents playbook and competition.

When I play a season with the Dolphins, I usually only give up under 90 points a season. When I play with other teams, I might give up 120 points. It doens't mean that the Dolphins are a better defense, but I know the teams they play so well. Plus, I am playing against the patriots and colts twice a season. It's just like how I can have a better season with Dan Marino than I can with Joe Montana, QB Eagles or QB Bills....even though they are probably better.

I tested this theory by playing a full season with every team. At the end of every season, I recorded the stats to see who outplayed who. My goal was to see if someone would "step-up" even though their stats don't look like it. With this data, I did two things.

1.) I created a dream team with all of the best players who made the best stats.

2.) I learned that other than the Dolphins, everyone else pretty much fit in pattern with what their overall attributes were. (Dan Marino was my best QB and Tony Paige was a close tie as a KR/PR.) Nobody really "outplayed" their numbers. I didn't have any 31REC WRs just go nutz. I didn't have any 25MS RBs light up the defense for 2,000 yards a season. The best players played the best. The good players played good. And the bad players played bad.

So, I understand that when you play, you can probably get Lonnie Young 8 INTS a season and with Ronnie Lott, only 6....but that doesn't mean that he's better. If you don't believe me, then:

1.) Start a new season.

2.) Take out Lonnie Young and replace him with Haddix, Woodson or Lott. This is the only thing to change.

3.) Update your playbook like normal and play a season with Young removed and one of the other guys in his place.

4.) Notice how much better they are than Young was. Even thouh Young is key on your defense, he's not better than the other's mentioned.

Are you the same dude that rated Johnny F'n Johnson over Bo Jackson and Barry Sanders?

I understand you are a cardinals fan.

The reason why you can play better with your Cardinals is because you are better with that team, becasue you know that team. They are comfortable to you. Not only that, but because you have played 1000 games with your cardinals, the next closest team might only have 100 games. because of this you get used to the opponents playbook and competition.

When I play a season with the Dolphins, I usually only give up under 90 points a season. When I play with other teams, I might give up 120 points. It doens't mean that the Dolphins are a better defense, but I know the teams they play so well. Plus, I am playing against the patriots and colts twice a season. It's just like how I can have a better season with Dan Marino than I can with Joe Montana, QB Eagles or QB Bills....even though they are probably better.

I tested this theory by playing a full season with every team. At the end of every season, I recorded the stats to see who outplayed who. My goal was to see if someone would "step-up" even though their stats don't look like it. With this data, I did two things.

1.) I created a dream team with all of the best players who made the best stats.

2.) I learned that other than the Dolphins, everyone else pretty much fit in pattern with what their overall attributes were. (Dan Marino was my best QB and Tony Paige was a close tie as a KR/PR.) Nobody really "outplayed" their numbers. I didn't have any 31REC WRs just go nutz. I didn't have any 25MS RBs light up the defense for 2,000 yards a season. The best players played the best. The good players played good. And the bad players played bad.

So, I understand that when you play, you can probably get Lonnie Young 8 INTS a season and with Ronnie Lott, only 6....but that doesn't mean that he's better. If you don't believe me, then:

1.) Start a new season.

2.) Take out Lonnie Young and replace him with Haddix, Woodson or Lott. This is the only thing to change.

3.) Update your playbook like normal and play a season with Young removed and one of the other guys in his place.

4.) Notice how much better they are than Young was. Even thouh Young is key on your defense, he's not better than the other's mentioned.

I am the same guy who thinks Johnny Johnson is better than Bo & Barry.......Johnson can catch like a wide receiver, those other guy's CAN'T........I have probably used the Cards more than any other team but 1000 to 100 is way off. I just picc um' 1st in man on man competition......I'd love to play you and prove who's the better TOTAL PACKAGE PLAYER, and it won't matter who you are..................................{p.s. How the hell can I take out Lonnie Young and put in Woodson or Lott?}

I am the same guy who thinks Johnny Johnson is better than Bo & Barry.......Johnson can catch like a wide receiver, those other guy's CAN'T........I have probably used the Cards more than any other team but 1000 to 100 is way off. I just picc um' 1st in man on man competition......I'd love to play you and prove who's the better TOTAL PACKAGE PLAYER, and it won't matter who you are..................................{p.s. How the hell can I take out Lonnie Young and put in Woodson or Lott?}

Tailback, I love your passion for this game. I too, share your passion.

I'm not the best TSB player, but I'm sure my Dolphins would take your Cardinals behind the woodshed and it wouldn't be pretty.

All I'm saying is that just because Johnny Johnson leads your season with the most rushing yards and most touchdowns and beats up on the computer...doesn't mean that he's the overall #1 player in the game. If you were playing fantasy football, this would be the case.

This isn't fantasty football.

He might be ONE of the best players for YOU. But, if you took someone else's playing style and gave them Bo Jackson over Johnny Johnson.....Bo Jackson would win hands down.

With TSB, the numbers are the numbers. Johnny Johnson doesn't "work harder" or "play harder" than Barry Sanders.

The difference is when you use Johnson, YOU play harder.

You can take players if you use an emulator and play on the computer. You can do this using the TSB Tool. Link found here:

http://tecmobowl.org...ason-generator/

I'm assuming that you are playing on the console and not the computer.

Edited by philleyOphish