THE TOP '10' offensive players in SUPER Tecmobowl

Side Note: Might be speaking sacrilege here but JJ's has got to be the stupidest term that is often used in this Tecmo vernacular. Just F^%$ing stupid.

it's weird, but independently around here, we also call them JJ's, but it's reference to JJ Bird on the chiefs.    he's so slow the QB always outthrows him, but makes the "JJ's" consistently

I thought it was hilarious that the community here uses the same vernacular, but for completely different reason, but exactly the same thing

it's weird, but independently around here, we also call them JJ's, but it's reference to JJ Bird on the chiefs.    he's so slow the QB always outthrows him, but makes the "JJ's" consistently

I thought it was hilarious that the community here uses the same vernacular, but for completely different reason, but exactly the same thing

J.J. Birden isn't that slow........maybe compared to Willie Gault he is.......but I catch it with him and he's open, I'm gonna score a TD from anywhere on the field, every time.

The debate will all be for not soon when it's clear that ADRIAN PETERSON will be the best RB of all time.

Of course, I'm a bit biased...

Yeah right........He gave everything he had to break Dickersons' record and he just couldn't do it.........Eric's still the king of kings.  Sorry Adrian...close but no cigar.  That record will NEVER be broken...especialy by the pu$$y backs in the league today.

The debate will all be for not soon when it's clear that ADRIAN PETERSON will be the best RB of all time.

Of course, I'm a bit biased...

As much as I like AP - fumblitis, not the best pass catcher out of the backfield although he may be underrated as blocker may keep him from the top spot.

Yeah right........He gave everything he had to break Dickersons' record and he just couldn't do it.........Eric's still the king of kings.  Sorry Adrian...close but no cigar.  That record will NEVER be broken...especialy by the pu$$y backs in the league today.

I think Dickerson's record may go down faster than we think. I mean with everything the modern NFL has done to make it an offensive oriented pass happy game I could see it. Look at the #'s Eli Manning and Matthew Stafford have put up in recent years. If you include Jim Brown (1,800+ in 14 gms), OJ, Dickerson, Barry and and Terrell Davis, that's five 2000 yrd rusheres in in 50 yrs (1950-2000), or 33 years in the Super Bowl era.

Jamaal Lewis, Chris Johnson and Peterson have done it in the last 10. Ahman Green rushed for over 1,800 yds since 2000, and Emmitt never did that once. Look at the TD #'s Faulk, Priest Holmes and LT have put up. With all the new rule changes it make it easier for offensive players today.

As much as I like AP - fumblitis, not the best pass catcher out of the backfield although he may be underrated as blocker may keep him from the top spot.

I think Dickerson's record may go down faster than we think. I mean with everything the modern NFL has done to make it an offensive oriented pass happy game I could see it. Look at the #'s Eli Manning and Matthew Stafford have put up in recent years. If you include Jim Brown (1,800+ in 14 gms), OJ, Dickerson, Barry and and Terrell Davis, that's five 2000 yrd rusheres in in 50 yrs (1950-2000), or 33 years in the Super Bowl era.

Jamaal Lewis, Chris Johnson and Peterson have done it in the last 10. Ahman Green rushed for over 1,800 yds since 2000, and Emmitt never did that once. Look at the TD #'s Faulk, Priest Holmes and LT have put up. With all the new rule changes it make it easier for offensive players today.

I think it's eazyer for QB's and recievers........but not for runningbacks.  I never saw a lineman or a linebacker get a penalty for sticcin' a runningback.  I think since the linemen are getting faster, taller, and stronger, the NFL has gone to a much smaller, faster back.  (but DEFINITLY NOT BETTER).......Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Leggarrett Blunt, Frank Gore, and Michael Turner are the only Big bulldozer backs I can think of in the league right now, off the top of my head.  Those little guys ain't built to carry the ball 25+ times a game cuzz they'll get killed!!!  The Reggie Bushes' Ahmad Bradshaws' Darrin Sproles' & Chris Johnsons' of the world were'nt cut out for a TAILBACK'S load.......That's why the position Tailback is almost extinct.  Chris Johnson's 2000 yard year was a fluke...and he ain't got close since.

I think it's eazyer for QB's and recievers........but not for runningbacks.  I never saw a lineman or a linebacker get a penalty for sticcin' a runningback.  I think since the linemen are getting faster, taller, and stronger, the NFL has gone to a much smaller, faster back.  (but DEFINITLY NOT BETTER).......Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Leggarrett Blunt, Frank Gore, and Michael Turner are the only Big bulldozer backs I can think of in the league right now, off the top of my head.  Those little guys ain't built to carry the ball 25+ times a game cuzz they'll get killed!!!  The Reggie Bushes' Ahmad Bradshaws' Darrin Sproles' & Chris Johnsons' of the world were'nt cut out for a TAILBACK'S load.......That's why the position Tailback is almost extinct.  Chris Johnson's 2000 yard year was a fluke...and he ain't got close since.

I don't think that defenders were as fast or faster than most offensive players back in dickerson's day; like they are now.  for you to say that Adrian Peterson is a pussy, shows me that you are stuck in the '80s, and blind to reality.

peterson is averaging 292 carries a season.  he is also averaging 5.0 yards per carry, career.  he has 76 touchdowns so far.  these last 2 stats are better than john robinson's dickerson.

peterson 6'2", 217 pounds

dickerson 6'3", 220 pounds

WAKE UP

(don't get me wrong - I like a lot of your takes and your enthusiasm)

Edited by buck

^^^Dickerson was 6'3 225 lbs.......and ran a 4.3 40 yard dash.  Don't get me wrong either, Adrian was 1st on my list of today's players I like and have nothin' but respect for...........I was the BIGGEST advocate for A.P. when he was at Oklahoma...he was, and still is one of the hardest, most violent runners in the history of college & professional football.  He ran so hard that one time a lil' ways bacc at Oklahoma, he broke his collar bone running over a defender on his way to a Touchdown........it was somthin' ta see......I knew he'd be great......not DICKERSON great, but great.  

..................I actually found the run where Peterson breaks his collarbone!!!  Lets compare greatness, shall we.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MErNtJF_PxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqlid2F2rfs

.................(p.s     Why ain't both of the screens on the post....I wanted to be able to play them at the same time for a REAL comparason...could someone fix it???)

Edited by ~Tailback King~

That is true the rules and changes have it easier regarding the passing game, but this also effects running the football. Due to this linebackers have to be versed in pass coverage, and have to be able to drop into coverage thus opening up running holes/lanes. Nowadays LB's just can't hold their ground and stuff the run. How many safeties (save for Troy Polamalu and a few others) can come up and impact the running game? Today it's more about defending the pass, which can leave run defence vulnerable.

Cuz of this RB's like Chris Johnson as you said can "fluke" a 2,000 yd season. So if he can do it why couldn't someone "fluke" a 2,106 yd season. I'm not saying it will happen, but the way the NFL is going (very offense orientated) it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility. Like I said Eli and Stafford have put up Marino like #'s. Ahman Green has bettered Emmitt Smith in terms of yds in a season.

^^^........Why you ask???  Because when Marcus Allen, one of the best says you may be the GREATEST, you probably are.....This is the best example I could find that shows in good detail just how good he really was.  Sorry A.P.  Sorry Barry.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-vidieos/09000d5d82723e85/Films-Encore-Eric-Dickerson-Top-100

^^^........Why you ask???  Because when Marcus Allen, one of the best says you may be the GREATEST, you probably are.....This is the best example I could find that shows in good detail just how good he really was.  Sorry A.P.  Sorry Barry.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-vidieos/09000d5d82723e85/Films-Encore-Eric-Dickerson-Top-100

Wow. No you're really reaching. So Marcus Allen says Dickerson is the greatest so that makes it fact? Come on, you can do better than that. If we took the list of "greats", hall of famers to list the greatest running backs, the majority would have Barry over Dickerson. Peterson maybe not, well at least not yet. I'll have to wait a few years for him. 

But weren't you the one who said the NFL Network had Dickerson as the greatest RB of the '80's. Well that same network had Brown, Sanders and Payton ahead of Eric. They had Dickerson in 50's if I remember correctly. I love Marcus Allen but it's an opinion. He's great, no question, but putting him at the top... I can't see it.

Wow. No you're really reaching. So Marcus Allen says Dickerson is the greatest so that makes it fact? Come on, you can do better than that. If we took the list of "greats", hall of famers to list the greatest running backs, the majority would have Barry over Dickerson. Peterson maybe not, well at least not yet. I'll have to wait a few years for him. 

But weren't you the one who said the NFL Network had Dickerson as the greatest RB of the '80's. Well that same network had Brown, Sanders and Payton ahead of Eric. They had Dickerson in 50's if I remember correctly. I love Marcus Allen but it's an opinion. He's great, no question, but putting him at the top... I can't see it.

TRUE. and like you said before, you gotta look at Dickerson's last 4 years in the league.  

maybe he "coulda" been the greatest...but he himself took care of that...$$$.  

dude cared more about money than football and there's nothing wrong with that.  but, he didn't have that good of a career to trump that fact, because his career and football teams suffered for it.

Edited by buck

TRUE. and like you said before, you gotta look at Dickerson's last 4 years in the league.  

dude cared more about money than football and there's nothing wrong with that.  but, he didn't have that good of a career to trump that fact, because his career and football teams suffered for it.

Didn't have that good of a career?????  Really.  I'd say 10 years for any player, let alone a runningback is GREAT, and to put up the #'s he did.......C'mon Buck...don't hate.  Dickerson knew the league back then, just like today uses you up, then spits you out.  For not having love for the game, he shure stuck around longer than he had to..........................................................

...........................................Now Johnny Johnson on the other hand did just that...bounced.  After 5 years, didn't get the $$$ from the Niners he wanted and said "f*#k ya'll, I'm out".............Sanders played much longer, but kinda did the same thing.  Skill wise, and wear and tear wise, there was no way he was done..........can you blame um???  I can't................Dickerson's body, on the other hand, was giving out.  As a fan, I woulda loved to see him in a Packers uniform.  Even though I truly believe he could still go, his back wouldn't let him pass his physicall............................and that's all she wrote.  That's why I love the first 3 Tecmobowls so much...It keeps the LEGENDS' memorie's alive.

Since were talkin' bout Tecmo Legends, Barry still holds my single season rushing record, and my all purpose yardage record in my record book........4,666 yards rushing!!!  I still remember playin' that season many years back......He was in EXELLENT most of the year.....It reminded me of his Oklahoma Heisman campaign.......I just kept giving him the ball, and he kept busting big runs.  Marion Butts had the record (4,170 somthin') before Sanders shattered it.

You're right, money was always a top priority for Dickerson. Can't chastise him for it though, as in hindsight he was probably right seeing what's happened to numerous retired players. Did his teams suffer due to this? Maybe. I can't honestly say one way or another. But compared to other RB's Dickerson did start to slow down after his 7th season, which should be considered.

Didn't have that good of a career?????  Really.  I'd say 10 years for any player, let alone a runningback is GREAT, and to put up the #'s he did.......C'mon Buck...don't hate.  Dickerson knew the league back then, just like today uses you up, then spits you out.  For not having love for the game, he shure stuck around longer than he had to..........................................................

That's like saying Brett Favre had 17 or 18 years. Playing for a period of time and being effective are two different things. You even know that there were seasons that Favre did more damage to his respective teams than he did to help them. He had 7 damn good season and you right, like I said to Buck, Dickerson must've known something or had a tremendous amount of foresight to get his paper 'cuz look at so many retired players now. I will never hold that against him. He was right to look out for himself financially cuz the league and teams sure don't.

...........................................Now Johnny Johnson on the other hand did just that...bounced.  After 5 years, didn't get the $$$ from the Niners he wanted and said "f*#k ya'll, I'm out".............Sanders played much longer, but kinda did the same thing.  Skill wise, and wear and tear wise, there was no way he was done..........can you blame um???  I can't................Dickerson's body, on the other hand, was giving out.  As a fan, I woulda loved to see him in a Packers uniform.  Even though I truly believe he could still go, his back wouldn't let him pass his physicall............................and that's all she wrote.  That's why I love the first 3 Tecmobowls so much...It keeps the LEGENDS' memorie's alive.

I've always understood that barry retired because the lions wouldn't let him go.  not because of money, but because they were the lions.

Sanders was a different breed. In high school he could have broken the city rushing record but opted out of a blowout win so the younger kids could play. He should've won the rushing title in his rookie season, but when Fontes told him he was 10 yds shy in the last game and he could go back in and get them, Barry didn't bother. Shit I would have gone in if it was me.

Things that most people make a big deal about didn't seem to matter that much to him. I knew at the end of his career he wasn't happy with the direction the Lions were going, and I don't know if they refused to release him or trade him. But I doubt Barry left because of money. Maybe he couldn't wait to rebuild a contending team, or he just felt it was time to go.

I have the Barry Sanders Sports Century (ESPN's original 30 for 30) and that tells alot.  I still can't get over his junior years' Heisman campaign........he put up Tecmo numbers........somthin' like 2,600+ yards rushing, and 39 Touchdowns in 11 games.....I still can say those stats without sayin' holy sh!t after...........................Johnny Johnson was second in the nation behind Sanders that year (88') in total yards from scrimmage.....I just thought I'd throw that in.  

Sanders was a different breed. In high school he could have broken the city rushing record but opted out of a blowout win so the younger kids could play. He should've won the rushing title in his rookie season, but when Fontes told him he was 10 yds shy in the last game and he could go back in and get them, Barry didn't bother. Shit I would have gone in if it was me.

Things that most people make a big deal about didn't seem to matter that much to him. I knew at the end of his career he wasn't happy with the direction the Lions were going, and I don't know if they refused to release him or trade him. But I doubt Barry left because of money. Maybe he couldn't wait to rebuild a contending team, or he just felt it was time to go.

Well, the Lions wouldn't let him go and he had been wanting out of Detroit for a few seasons.  In the article dave pointed to -The realization that management no longer cared about winning "slammed me harder than any linebacker had ever hit me in my entire career," Sanders says. "That realization trivialized everything I did during the off-season to prepare myself. It trivialized everything I dreamed about from the time I was a kid in Wichita ..."-

Barry was the essence of humble, there plenty of examples that people could list of how he did not ever seek to glorify himself above any other man or especially God.  I have met him a couple of times, and really - he did not think that he was better than anybody.  I really looked up to him as a late middle-schooler and in high-school.  He was a really a good role model for some of us back in that day.

Edited by buck

I have the Barry Sanders Sports Century (ESPN's original 30 for 30) and that tells alot.  I still can't get over his junior years' Heisman campaign........he put up Tecmo numbers........somthin' like 2,600+ yards rushing, and 39 Touchdowns in 11 games.....I still can say those stats without sayin' holy sh!t after...........................Johnny Johnson was second in the nation behind Sanders that year (88') in total yards from scrimmage.....I just thought I'd throw that in.  

... I knew you would.

Well, the Lions wouldn't let him go and he had been wanting out of Detroit for a few seasons.  In the article dave pointed to -The realization that management no longer cared about winning "slammed me harder than any linebacker had ever hit me in my entire career," Sanders says. "That realization trivialized everything I did during the off-season to prepare myself. It trivialized everything I dreamed about from the time I was a kid in Wichita ..."-

Barry was the essence of humble, there plenty of examples that people could list of how he did not ever seek to glorify himself above any other man or especially God.  I have met him a couple of times, and really - he did not think that he was better than anybody.  I really looked up to him as a late middle-schooler and in high-school.  He was a really a good role model for some of us back in that day.

I forgot about you underlined Barry quote, from "A Football Life", and it does tell a lot. Barry wanted to win and the Lions didn't seem like they really wanted to, and Sanders had enough. I mean 10 years in who wants or has the time to wait for a team to rebuild when they didn't do a whole lot while you were there.

And yes he was humble, and though I've never met him, he has changed my thinking. Like I said earlier if I was told I was 10 yds shy of the rushing title and the coach was willing to let me go back in and get them, I said I would. But after hearing about Barry, I'm not saying I wouldn't go back in but I'd definitely think twice about going back in. Certainly wouldn't spaz about it like Shaun Alexander did a few years ago.

I can respect him for being so humble, cuz it must have been hard when you have talent out of your ass.