Eric Dickerson may be.........

~Tailback King~

I'm 0-3 in Tecmo Bowl carts having Dickerson! I'm cursed to play as Albert Bentley forever.

That's to bad.......he was one of the best players, if not the best you could use........o.k. he was the best you could ever use. Then he vanished!!! Only a chosen few got to see really how good he was...keep up your search padwan, when you find what you're looking for, it will be worth it.....................by the way Knobb, You should make an OFFICIAL Tecmobowl Hall of Fame thread where viewers of this site can submit who they think should be in, and then we can all vote on it based on real life, tournament, season, & 1 on 1 accomplishments..............I'll bet there would be a lot of very interesting stories posted of people pleading there cases...Ha hA Ha!!! Eric Dickerson & Johnny Johnson are first ballot runners up!!! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

.........the best player in Tecmo history. Forget Bo Jackson. Dickerson's the ultimate combo of size, power and speed.....and if he ever had a team to go with those skillz, (anybody but the Colts) he'd be the diffinitive #1. (in Tecmo I).......p.s. It's a tragedy he wasn't in SuperTecmoBowl. Despite the controversy, he was the best back I ever saw...Tecmo or real life...hands down.

No and.....

I vote for Barry Sanders.

No. Unless you're talking real life then I would go Barry > Eric.

If we are talking about the greatest tecmo player in history and by this I mean all versions (TB, TSB, TES SNES/Genesis, TSB II and TSB III), then it is easily Jerry Rice, and I don't think it's even close. One, he's inthe discussion for best overall player in every version and two, he's the only player to be the player at his position in every version of Tecmo, I don't think any player can make that claim.

If you went through every version of the game he's the only payers to among thr elite in every version. Barry Sanders would definitely make my top 5, probably top 3. I look past TB as that only featured 12 teams, but it can be argues in TSB NES Bo Jackson (and even Neal Anderson) is ahead of him. While Sanders dominated the all SNES/Genesis versions, Emmitt Smith and Thurman Thomas (esp. in TSB SNES/Genesis) gives him a run for his money.

Edited by thalivest

...was almost passed up by Adrian Peterson the year after an ACL tear

BUT HE DIDN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Ha hA Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!  Close but no cigar!  Dickerson is STILL the king of kings!!!!!!!!!!!!!  BTW Knobb, If you wanna see a real Tailback break and set an untouchable record, check this out..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pdws9gsUS4

Edited by ~Tailback King~

Dickerson's 2105 yards in 1984 was awesome. That's hard for me to say being a 49er fan, but I will say if you are talking about real life O.J. Simpson got 2000 yards in only 14 games and averaged 143 yards a game for the season.  Best season by a running back hands down.  Dickerson's 1984 season isn't even the 2nd best season, Jim Brown put up 1527 yards in only 12 games (1958) and 1863 yards in 14 games (1963) averaging 6.4 yards a carry. On Tecmo Bowl Barry Sanders gives him a run for his money.  Jim Brown was and is the best running back of all time in real life. 9 years, voted to 8 All Pro teams and 9 pro bowls.

Emmit Smith is pretty damned amazing in TSB3...

but is Dickerson in TB better than Bo in TSB?

To answer your question..........YES.  I had over 800 yrds rushing and 9 td's in the Superbowl vs Miami, and of course I won......granted Miami's 'D' is pretty weak, their still JUICED, so it's a pretty damn good accomplishment for anybody vs anybody.  800 yrds in a Superbowl, is 800 yrds in a Superbowl anyway you look at it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I played both versions of Tecmo Bowl (friend had the cart with Dickerson, man I always wished I had that version but I was stuck with Bentley)...  I don't recall Dickerson being as fast as Bo.  I think he was more comparible to Payton, not quite as good as Bo.

I played both versions of Tecmo Bowl (friend had the cart with Dickerson, man I always wished I had that version but I was stuck with Bentley)...  I don't recall Dickerson being as fast as Bo.  I think he was more comparible to Payton, not quite as good as Bo.

He was better than Bo.........not to mention Bo had only ONE PLAY, which totally removed him from man on man comp.

He was not better than Bo, but nearly the same as Payton:

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/tecmo-player-rating.ht

For all the skill Bo has, he doesn't get the opportunity to show it........They could have at least givin him a pass route to run.  I will say that post was very informative.

• 4 weeks later...

Too bad he sued his way out

His Tecmo career was like Bo Jacksons real one.........you only got a little glimps (if you were lucky and got the game) of his Tecmo Legendaryness, then he was gone.  People would have to wait another 5 year before he made an appearence on Allanta, but he wasn't the same.......Get him on excellent condition and he's close......but not the same.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey.............did anybody happen to watch the NFL network special BEST RUNNINGBACKS OF THE 80's??????????  It had a lot of great Tecmobowl Legends on there.  It's definitly worth checking out...........I hate to play the spoiler, but guess who won?????????  (check thread title)

Hate to burst your bubble but is this the same NFL Network that had Steve Young and Troy Aikman something like #80 and #81 on their 100 Greatest Players Of All Time list. Their lists aren't the most accurate. Although unless some can show me otherwise I do believe Dickerson was the best back of the '80's. Having the NFL Network co-signing... not necessarily the best thing.

Hate to burst your bubble but is this the same NFL Network that had Steve Young and Troy Aikman something like #80 and #81 on their 100 Greatest Players Of All Time list. Their lists aren't the most accurate. Although unless some can show me otherwise I do believe Dickerson was the best back of the '80's. Having the NFL Network co-signing... not necessarily the best thing.

I really don't care about what the hell the NFL network has to say.............I was just glad to see some more of one of my favorite players' highlights.  Like him or not...Dickerson was fun to watch run the ball.  Even people rooting against the Rams or the Colts had to admit he was one of the best that ever did it.

I really don't care about what the hell the NFL network has to say.............I was just glad to see some more of one of my favorite players' highlights.  Like him or not...Dickerson was fun to watch run the ball.  Even people rooting against the Rams or the Colts had to admit he was one of the best that ever did it.

What are you babbling about now? If you read what I wrote I said unless someone can prove otherwise I do believe Dickerson was the best running back of the 80's. I've said he's a great running back. Although having the NFL network cosign it may actually hurt, as some of their lists baffle me. What's wrong, I mean if you like someone and the masses don't kiss his ass or bow down to him you lose your shit.

CLASSIC.....This guy was THE BEST.....Tecmobowl or real life. You'd have to be in denial if you thought otherwise. And for those people who never got to use him in Tecmobowl, or see him play.........you missed it.

Stop it.... please. Just stop. As great as Dickerson was, greatest of all time in real life?!? Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton all want to know how you're doing?

In Tecmo, no. He's behind Bo (TS & TSB), and Barry Sanders from TSB...is that even a comparison?

You ask why I lose my shit???  Because anybody that has a football convo talkin' about the greats, or even runningback conversations, seems right on Q to forget to mention Dickerson, and it alwayz takes a reality check from to to set shIt str8.  Eric wants to know how Jim, Barry, & Walter are doing...especially now, since they will alwayz be second, third, or fourth or whatever place on the stat sheet of the most unatainable record in Professional Football......The season Passing record's been passed since, TD's, Receptions, Sacks............need I go on???  There's only ONE that hasn't since 1984............Can you guess what it is???  That's why he's the GREATEST, cuzz he's #1.............that's why I get so pissed....people need to give props where there do...and they dont.