2012 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament 7/28/2012

vogtcd11

What: 2012 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament (Fifth Annual)

When: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 11 a.m. registration; noon start time

Where: Rick’s Tavern & Grille, 5955 Boymel Drive, Fairfield, Ohio 45014

Who: Anyone who loves to play Tecmo Super Bowl

Maximum participants: 64

Buy-in: $20

Prizes: Trophies, cash and handouts

Twitter Hashtag: #OhioV

Tournament Format

Format No. 1:

The 2012 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament is a world cup style tournament with a capacity of 64 participants. Pre-tournament, the organizers will divide the field into groups of four. Well-known and unknown players will be distributed evenly throughout the field. Each group will play a round-robin, meaning all four players within each group will play one another once. Each tournament participant is guaranteed three games. Only the top two participants from each group will advance from group play. The top two players from each group will be selected by overall record. If two players have the same record, a head-to-head tiebreaker will determine tournament placement. If three players have the same record, point differential will break the tie. The maximum point differential available in an individual game is 28 points. This should alleviate any unnecessary tension in lopsided group play games. A single-elimination format will follow group play. Each group winner is guaranteed a spot in the single-elimination Field of 32. Once the Field of 32 is assembled, a single-elimination tournament will proceed until only a champion remains.

Format No. 2:

If there are less than 32 participants, the tournament will be played using a triple-elimination format. This guarantees every player at least three games. No pool play will be administered in this format.

Game Play

Team Selection and Coin Toss:

A manual coin-flip will precede each game. Flip winner chooses the matchup. Flip loser then selects either one of the two teams or his preferred controller. If the flip loser selects preferred controller, the flip winner selects a team first. The coin-flip winner can only pick a certain matchup once during the entire tournament.

Playbooks and Lineup:

Customizing playbooks is allowed. You can access your “change” screen (screen where you check player conditions and make substitutions) only twice per half. This helps speed up the games.

WR or TE at RB:

A WR is at RB only if, upon accessing the starting lineup/change screen, the WR appears in a RB slot (as opposed to a WR slot). This is prohibited. WRs that remain in a WR slot may, however, carry the football. This comes into play with teams having only 1 RB slot, such as the Lions, Chargers, Cardinals, Oilers, Falcons, and Redskins. When selecting matchups, therefore, be aware that Ricky Sanders and Earnest Givins can carry the football on plays in which they remain in a WR slot (i.e. offset I and toss up).

Ties:

Although ties are permitted in the tournament’s “group play” portion, such are not permitted in the single-elimination portion of the tournament. If a game ends in a tie after overtime, a new game will begin, and the first player to score in the new game is the winner.

Lurching:

Lurching is prohibited. If you want to rush with a DL, you must either go outside the offensive tackle or “popcorn” someone on the offensive line. You cannot simply go around your blocker and dive. Note that this rule does not apply to LBs.

Game Malfunctions:

If there is an equipment failure in the first half, games will be replayed from the start. If equipment malfunctions in the 2nd half, only the second half is replayed. In that event, the scores from each half are added together to obtain a final score. If the game was uncompetitive or the equipment malfunctioned due to human error, the tourney organizers reserve the right to declare a winner without replaying any portion of the game.

Tournament Issues:

Questions and concerns should be brought to tourney director Chris Vogt’s attention. If Chris is not available, his brothers Jimmy Vogt and Matt Vogt have the next say on the issue.

Equipment information

Bring any consoles, cartridges, adaptors and controllers you can get your hands on. Those who live closer will supply the TVs.

Hotel information

Holiday Inn Express

6755 Fairfield Business Center Dr.

Fairfield, Ohio

(513) 860-2900

Will call back.

Extended Stay America

9651 Seward Road

Fairfield, Ohio

(513) 860-5733

980-345-1600

Will call back.

Flight information

The airport closest to Fairfield, Ohio is the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport located in Covington, Ky. It has rental car access. http://www.cvgairport.com/

Contact Information

Chris Vogt

Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

Head Director

(513) 225-3274

[email protected]

Players Signed Up, City

1.) Chris Vogt, Hamilton, Ohio

2.) Matt Vogt, Hamilton, Ohio

3.) Jimmy Vogt, Hamilton, Ohio

4.) A.J. Fullam, Fairfield, Ohio

5.) Derek Ruble, Indianapolis, Ind.

6.) Kevin Smith, NY

7.) Louis Buennagel, Buffalo, NY

8.) Francis Buennagel, Buffalo, NY

9.) Ryan McKay, N. Ridgeville, Ohio

10.) Matt Miller, Elkhart, Ind.

11.) Matt Tarrillion, Parryville, Mo.

12.) Matt Billmyer, Milwaukee, Wisc.

13.) Jay Mahabir, Macomb, Mich.

14.) Ali Khraizat , Dearborn, Mich.

15.) Aaron Hake, Hamilton, Ohio

16.) Brad Rinehart, Plainfield, Ind.

17.) Steve Engle

18.) Matt Diaz, Lebanon, Ohio

19.) Hugh Stewart, Columbus, Ohio

20.) Ryan Stewart, Columbus, Ohio

21.) Kyle Stewart, Columbus, Ohio

22.) Kyle Lupton, Dayton, Ohio

23.) Mike Iozzi, Columbus, Ohio

24.) Troy Henson

25.) Ace Lib, Louisville, Ky.

26.) Steven Johnson, Hamilton, Ohio

27.) Chet Holzbauer, Madison, Wisc.

28.) Josh Holzbauer, Madison, Wisc.

29.) Dan Durch, Madison, Wisc.

30.) Tony Orenga, Madison, Wisc.

31.) Rico Rieck, Madison, Wisc.

32.) Casey Strong, Hamilton, Ohio

33.) Gary Schultz, Louisville, Ky.

34.) Nick Vogt, Hamilton, Ohio

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by vogtcd11

It is with immense excitement to announce that David Fulcher, former Bengals safety and Tecmo Super Bowl great, will be at the 2012 Midwest tournament. He will be selling bobbleheads and memorabilia for his Multiple Sclerosis foundation.

• 1 month later...

I originally signed up for this but regretfully have to withdrawal due to fulfilling and obligation that weekend...... very disappointing B) I already ordered my 8-0 shirt.... 7-0.......9-0...... whatever it is

• 1 month later...

This looks incredible. Regretfully, I'm too far away--but I emailed an old tecmo buddy who now lives in Cincinnati (and, coincidentally, loves David Fulcher). He's in. He's so very, very in.

I will need him to sign up, if he hasn't already. I'll need him to e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks.

This looks incredible. Regretfully, I'm too far away--but I emailed an old tecmo buddy who now lives in Cincinnati (and, coincidentally, loves David Fulcher). He's in. He's so very, very in.

That wouldn't be Doug Crowthers would it? :)

Hey Lou, Thanks man your a badass player I keep track of the madison bowl of course I would have started playing in tourneys along time ago but I was in the Army for 8 years and spent way to long in Afghanistan and Iraq. I would be honored to play some games I emailed you my number give me a call so we can work things out

That wouldn't be Doug Crowthers would it? :)

Nope... This is the first I've heard about this tournament and it is in my own backyard! :???: I wish I wouid be able to attend and take part but I'm not ready to come out of retirement my old friend!

You still keep in touch with Ken and Lee and the old Indiana Tecmo League? I remember that tourney to this day... great times!!

Nope... This is the first I've heard about this tournament and it is in my own backyard! :???: I wish I wouid be able to attend and take part but I'm not ready to come out of retirement my old friend!

You still keep in touch with Ken and Lee and the old Indiana Tecmo League? I remember that tourney to this day... great times!!

Wow man, good to see you are still around. I kinda lost touch with Lee and Ken, shame on me...

Yeah that tourney was cool. I wanted to play more but Ken was mad at the Purdue guys that didn't show up LOL. I remember beating Nate Dog Den vs Pitt with Atwater injured. Whew that was rough!

Good to hear from you, you should stick around here and fire up some games on the emulators. Maybe show the kids what the best game ever looks like :)

Highlights so far

David Fulcher is here!

Ay6_yiDCAAAoPmQ.jpg

If you're David Fulcher and you show up at a Tecmo Super Bowl tourney, you use the Bengals and wear a Fulcher jersey

Ay6Sn9mCMAAZl8B.jpg

There has been drawings for among other things, a Fulcher signed NES System

Ay5nGdfCAAEc5-r.jpg

and in the final 4 it's Chet H vs Mort and Matt M vs Louis B

yup id say chet is best now....the championship game vs him i was out-classed....i really wanted to go defense first but i lost the toss...i only out-juiced him once in the game...he picked the team i wanted 2be in the matchup (i didnt know he hates the eagles)....my deep receivers were always covered had drive the ball down the field and risk a fumble...but ill keep playing and improving my game till next time. it was a great tourney...my thanks to voigts, david fulcher, the tavern...and the all great players who came out and played. and a special thanks to brother my mort 4 coaching me up over the years. ill post a review later.

WOW what a great time as far as tecmo goes i played alright lost to chet for the third straight time. good to see everyone. high point was meeting david fulcher and winning post tourney round robin tourney back at the hotel winnings helped a lot towards my david fulcher memorabilia. great tourney chris...

Edited by ryanr33fulcher