Was Steve Grogan the first man out of Tecmo Super Bowl

Knobbe

For the longest time we used to track who was left in the NFL (Congrats Jeff Feagles!) but did anyone ever think to check who the first player OUT of Tecmo Super BOWL might have been.

There is a very good chance it was none other than Mr Lollipop himself....STEVE GROGAN.

In 1990, Steve started the first 4 games for the Patriots. He never played another snap. Tecmo Super Bowl hit the shelves over a year after Steve took the field.

I challenge anyone to check this out. If we can verify this it's something that needs to be released to the world.

• 4 weeks later...
ya he went 1-3, for around 615 yards, 4 tds in 1990. he got their only win! lol marc wilson 0-6 and tom hodson 0-6 as

well. what a bad team.

Did anyone play less games in 1990?

I'm doing the research now. I thought I found one and was wrong. I'm sure there are a bunch.

Edit*******

Babe Laufenberg 4 games and 1 started :P

ya he went 1-3, for around 615 yards, 4 tds in 1990. he got their only win! lol marc wilson 0-6 and tom hodson 0-6 as

well. what a bad team.

Did anyone play less games in 1990?

I'm doing the research now. I thought I found one and was wrong. I'm sure there are a bunch.

Edit*******

Babe Laufenberg 4 games and 1 started :P

That's a great find.

While he did play less games than Grogan, he actually played much later in the season as he started game 16 for the Cowboys.

Thus, Grogan is still safe as the first player out of Tecmo for now

• 3 years later...

aaaand now I've got it. 

Jessie Clark last played for the Minnesota Vikings in week 5 of 1990, Grogan in week 8 and Laufenberg in week 16. Jessie Clark is our man, the first TSB player out of the league.

There are a few others, incidentally, who went out before Grogan.

Edited by keithisgood

Hot damn, you're right. I was looking through 1990 season logs, hadn't even thought to check 1989. Well now I wonder if there wasn't someone else who went out earlier?

Did a little digging on Wayne Walker and it looks like, even though he last played NFL ball in 1989, he was still in the league in 1990. He didn't make San Diego's roster (and therefore lacks 1990 stats at pro-football-reference and nfl.com) because he tore up his knee in training camp prior to the 1990 season. He was, however, placed on injured reserve by the Chargers. So although he didn't roster or play, he was still technically in the Chargers organization, and therefore, still in the NFL. He went to Minnesota's training camp in 1991, but was waived on August 27th, 1991. Same thing with Buffalo in 1992.

Incidentally, he went on to have a hell of a good run in the CFL.

So for the moment, it's still Jessie Clark. I might dig through 1989 rosters, though, to see if maybe there wasn't someone who played in 1989 but got cut at the end of Training camp after Tecmo set its rosters.

Edited by keithisgood

Man, this is another weird one. He was cut before the 89 season but put on Denver's practice squad. Due to injury, Denver only activated him for one game - Super Bowl XXIV. He didn't get into the game and Denver cut him again prior to the 1990 season.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-01-26/sports/sp-858_1_denver-broncos

It seems Tecmo set their rosters sometime in August of 1990, before teams made final cuts on Sep 4.

I can't figure out what Tecmo's time frame was for rosters. Who should be Denver's backup TE? Based on full season stats (like 99% of the game's rosters) it should be Shannon Sharpe or Orsen Mobley. But where's Mobley? Well, backing up Pat Beach on Indy of course. Turns out Mobley signed with Indy in the 90-91 off season and was eventually cut. So who should Indy's backup TE be? None other than FB/TE hybrid Ken Clark who's their RB4. If I had to speculate a made up story that sounds feasible it would he this. Dickerson was originally programmed in and the removed at the last minute. Filled his hole by moving Clark and hastily plugged that with camp body Mobley and plugged that with a random Paul Green. The butterfly effect.

• 11 months later...

While working on rosters for a 1990 ROM of mine, I did some research on the Colts TE2-topic.

Dickerson should be included. Ken Clark was never on the Colts roster with Dickerson. So he's out.

For a while I went with #87 Eugene Riley. But he only played one game. Back-up LB Kurt Larson was also listed as a TE (with #87) for a coupe of games. Recently I started reading old Gamebooks. #87 Orson Mobley played in the nine first games in 1990 for the Broncos, and then was on the Colts roster for their two last games against Washington and Dolphins. Though listed as inactive.

A lot of the time the Colts went with four WR-sets, with Pat Beach on the bench, so there's really no use for a TE2. I put more weight in late season rosters and tendencies for my ROMs, so I'm leaning towards having Orson Mobley as TE2 for Colts... mainly to make room for rookie TE2 Shannon Sharpe on the Broncos.

Edit: Paul Green was on the 1990 Broncos roster, but never played. My pick for Broncos TE2 would be Shannon Sharpe, or perhaps Chris Verhulst.

Edited by Martin

37 minutes ago, Martin said:

While working on rosters for a 1990 ROM of mine, I did some research on the Colts TE2-topic.

Dickerson should be included. Ken Clark was never on the Colts roster with Dickerson. So he's out.

For a while I went with #87 Eugene Riley. But he only played one game. Back-up LB Kurt Larson was also listed as a TE (with #87) for a coupe of games. Recently I started reading old Gamebooks. #87 Orson Mobley played in the nine first games in 1990 for the Broncos, and then was on the Colts roster for their two last games against Washington and Dolphins. Though listed as inactive.

A lot of the time the Colts went with four WR-sets, with Pat Beach on the bench, so there's really no use for a TE2. I put more weight in late season rosters and tendencies for my ROMs, so I'm leaning towards having Orson Mobley as TE2 for Colts... mainly to make room for rookie TE2 Shannon Sharpe on the Broncos.

Edit: Paul Green was on the 1990 Broncos roster, but never played. My pick for Broncos TE2 would be Shannon Sharpe, or perhaps Chris Verhulst.

Dickerson wasn't in the game because of NFLPA reasons.  He actually sued Tecmo back in 1988 and there are two versions of Tecmo Bowl: One with Dickerson at RB and one with Bently as running back.

Also, it's been verified that the programmers of the game essentially used a couple of magazines for rosters and had to release the rosters well in advance of the season.  Thus, there are corrections to be made if one wants.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...