Madison's 8th Annual Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

holzy11

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The time is drawing near. This weekend a buddy will play Tecmo with me to tune up. I'm a little nervous about this, because, lets face it, I walked in last year with no human combat and "Dotdon"inated (i.e. won a game with a last second FG, one in OT, and 1 due to a fumble TD). As a result, this year's preparation may anger the Tecmo Gods and the deity that is Steve Atwater. However, it may just be the little extra I need to go 9-0 and win this thing. Or 1-2 and not leave my group. I honestly wouldn't be surprised either way. Check that, 9-0 would surprise me. OK I just don't want to embarass myself.

I'm considering creating a drink--the Tecmo. Cherry kool-aid, SoCo, and an orange wedge with a splash of cherry coke. Or the Haddix--Orange juice, orange soda, orange flavored vodka, an orange wedge, and a splash of grenadine to recreate the TB unis. Let's make this happen.

Holy shit I'm pumped. Leonardite--lets be sure to hook up for a drink--I want to make amends for missing the Ryder Cup. I'm sure my presence would have led team ND to victory.

However, it may just be the little extra I need to go 9-0 and win this thing. Or 1-2 and not leave my group. I honestly wouldn't be surprised either way. Check that, 9-0 would surprise me. OK I just don't want to embarass myself.

Holy shit I'm pumped. Leonardite--lets be sure to hook up for a drink--I want to make amends for missing the Ryder Cup. I'm sure my presence would have led team ND to victory.

If you want to go 9-0 and using the Ryder Cup as a good way to predict outcomes, just play avgtsbplayer 9 times. The guy is garbage against any and all persons from North Dakota. You could drag down some no-name guy from Minot who has never seen a controller or Tecmo, give him basic instructions, and have him play Orenga and he would win by 2 touchdowns.

Better yet, go find some random from Minot, bring him down, and we can all bask in the glory of his destroying garbagetsbplayer.

As garbage as I am at this game (which is true), I didn't lose a singles game against a North Dakota representative during the Ryder Cup. If you want to talk about someone who is garbage, let's talk about moonwalk. The guy didn't even show up at my house this past weekend to play despite the fact that there were 12 guys and he was playing with James/Rikster minutes before they came to my house.

As garbage as I am at this game (which is true), I didn't lose a singles game against a North Dakota representative during the Ryder Cup.

So you're blaming Rico then? Either way, ND players are probably going to have a field day against the likes of you.

If you want to talk about someone who is garbage, let's talk about moonwalk. The guy didn't even show up at my house this past weekend to play despite the fact that there were 12 guys and he was playing with James/Rikster minutes before they came to my house.

Maybe he didn't realize you are 3-0 in TCS. :P

But beware: No person then cohabitating with his girlfriend/wife has ever won the Madison tourney.

Tonight's the talk with the wife. I'm sure kicking her out to stay at the poorly-lit motel the next town over for the next 3 weeks won't be too bad, right? Wish me luck...

I'm sure that discussion went well the night before Valentine's Day. But hey, winning this tournament requires sacrifice!

I walked in last year with no human combat and "Dotdon"inated (i.e. won a game with a last second FG, one in OT, and 1 due to a fumble TD). As a result, this year's preparation may anger the Tecmo Gods and the deity that is Steve Atwater.

The law of averages doesn't seem to apply at this tourney. In my experience, the Tecmo Gods either favor or disfavor you here. Sounds like good news for you. In an attempt to appease this year's Gods and prove my eternal allegiance to Tecmo in its purest form, I plan to stage a S'eance by placing several gasoline-doused computers into a well-fed campfire. I'm convinced the Gods are confused by my ties to garbagetsbplayer. Sacrificing a Tecmo virgin is Plan B.

I'm sensing a lot of bitterness from Bailey. Sorry about your 0-3 performance in Ohio.

Didn't you go 1-3 in OhioIV and 1-3 in last weekend's tuneup? Maybe Tecmo just isn't your game. I know, let's have a spelling contest:

I'm sensing a lot of bitterness from Bailey. Sorry about your 0-3 performance in Ohio.

Didn't you go 1-3 in OhioIV and 1-3 in last weekend's tuneup? Maybe Tecmo just isn't your game. I know, let's have a spelling contest:

Leave garbagetsbplayer alone. He's 3-0 in TCS. Which counts for something.

I went 2-3 in Ohio IV. I mean, if we're not counting wins against qb_browns (and perhaps we shouldn't with his embarrassing 0-3 record), then you're correct that I was 1-3.

I went 2-3 in last weekend's tuneup. My win against a non-existent SEXPANTHER counts as a victory in my book.

By the way, Chet, have fun getting eliminated in the same round as me in Madison this year - Age quod agis.

I booked my flight and hotel today. I can't wait to lose to all you great competitors yet again! :P

My hotel room has an extra queen-size bed, so if anyone who is traveling needs a place to crash for cheap, hit me up.

Brian, I think my carpool is 3, and I may be the 5th wheel. So I very well may be down. We'll chat at the tourney bud.

Some major ND overtones on this discussion thread so close to tourney time. Seems to be some lurking thoughts about the ND triumvirate...

Although not the performance we imagined, we managed to ruffle a few feathers in our first Ryder Cup. We could have used a fourth man that weekend to put us over bump, but bringing three to Madison for Muster's Last Stand turns things in our favor.

According to math previously posted in this thread, the really interesting thing is the ratio of ND natives to girls at Tecmo VII -----> 3:3 -----> Reduced to its simplest form -----> 1:1

Just sayin'.

all of you guys who haven't touched tecmo super bowl competitively in a while don't worry. I haven't played with another person in probably 17-18 years. Maybe even more than that.

I'll be the official captain of the "Out of Towners that are Out of Luck" table. We can talk about the glory days whooping up on the handicapped kid down the street thinking "man, i'm never going to get bad at this game".

Also i'm down for some pre-game friday night. Anyone want to volunteer their hotel room?

According to math previously posted in this thread, the really interesting thing is the ratio of ND natives to girls at Tecmo VII -----> 3:3 -----> Reduced to its simplest form -----> 1:1

Just sayin'.

The flaw with your math is that you are assuming 3 North Dakota native men and 3 North Dakota native women. Unfortunately, you are coming to Wisconsin where you need to apply standard Female State Exchange index. For example, one Arizona native woman is equal to 2.43 North Dakota women as per the close of the markets today. Following the current strike price between North Dakota and Wisconsin women sits at 1.24 North Dakota to 1 Wisconsin. Your ratio needs changing.

Just sayin'.

I don't know any of the guys in my group, which is to be expected, but I love my region. There are guys in every region that would be great to play, but I get a chance to play soby, fro, vogtcd, arnc, chaos, rikfenny, or ones11 in a meaningful game? If I make it far enough, there should be a couple of great games played.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png