Madison's 8th Annual Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

holzy11

Have read a couple good recaps, so I thought I'd post mine here.

Merril Hoge region, group OO. Have Leonardite in my group as well as Kevin and an unknown. After talking to the unknown for 5 minutes prior to group play, I figure out he knows what he's doing. Will be a tough group.

Game 1: I pick PHX-DET as matchup. Kevin takes PHX, and Barry runs wild. 35-0.

Game 2: vs. Miguel the unknown. He wins toss and calls SEA/LARams. Wierd. I love the Rams, so I take them. Even though Cleveland Gary fumbles 3x, losing 2 in the red zone, my D is good enough and I win 14-3.

Game 3: vs. Leonardite. He picks HOU-SF. I take SF and pick passes the whole game, and manage to shut down Moon 17-3.

When the seeds come out, I see I'm the 5, with a play in winner as my opponent TBD. Should be good...until I hear Josh H. (sonofpatbeach) is in a play in game. I know immediately he will be my opponent. I am right.

He wins the toss and calls DAL-NYJ. I call DAL. As most of these games go between good players, turnovers are the difference. I take advantage of 2 NYJ fumbles, and get a 13-7 lead. Late in the 3rd I have a crucial 4th down from about my own 40 yard line. I decide to go for it as I was probably not going to stop Josh when it counted. I converted, and eventually took a 20-7 lead. Josh scored late, but I used the wuss move of punting into the end zone after I recovered the onside kick and survive 20-14.

Now I play Jeff B. He won Josh's group, so I know he must be solid. Would like to call the matchups from here on out, but lose again and have to call either Eagles-Bears. I am running so well I pick Bears. Mistake 1. CLose first half grinds, and I'm inside the 15 down 3-0 with 13 sec. left. I try to run 1 more quick play before the half. Mistake 2. Clock runs out. Jeff gets the ball to start 2nd half and does a brilliant drive, and I'm down 10-0. I come back for a FG for 10-3, but Randall is just too much, and he scores with about 3:00 left to make it 17-3. A safety on my bomb passes and I lose 19-3. Jeff B played great and deserved to win. Shouldas and wouldas about picking PHI and/or kicking a FG will haunt me til Madison IX.

Until next year gents.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As expected, Tecmo VIII provided a level of camaraderie and tomfoolery that was worth the trip and the "how the shit did that happen" experience of leaving the good weather in North Dakota for crappy winter weather in Madison. After Tecmo VII and the Ryder Cup, I now know many of you on a personal level, which says a lot for the sorry state of affairs my life continues to spiral into.

Seriously, though, at the risk of leaving people out, thanks to everyone in Group OO (as in "Oooh, not going to win this tournament") for being cool and fun to play against. Both the wins and the losses were fun, as it should be, and we even got a 95-yard field goal attempt which was something this tournament was sorely lacking. Special props to dotdon12 for risking his Tecmo skills by fraternizing with the North Dakota crowd. He may be a worse player because of it, but he's now an exceptional playa infused with the aura of Oilboom Dakota.

Thanks to the 513 crew who got me to attend my first gay bar (<--lie) and took us into their hotel room for Friday night Tecmo and spirits. My evening began by soaking my innards with beer from a boot and ended with me throwing a Four Loko can in the snow, so there's a lot to be said for that.

Thanks to Knobbe for lending his usual sense of professionalism to a gathering that would otherwise devolve into something resembling a frat house wine race. Without the Repository, this tournament would be a shell of itself, so credit given to the man hopelessly glued to Nebrasketball.

Thanks to the Holzbauers and all the other organizers for the tournament. The accolades continue to flow every year and with good reason. If the tournament wasn't well run, we wouldn't waste our time driving eight hours for Madison or three hours to lose in Tecmo Ryder Cup matches and slam silos of beer. Special congrats to Chet who undoubtedly deserved this win.

Thanks to Flo for his camaraderie the caustic drink at the Plaza that effectively put me out of commission for the night. Combined with the Skoal I chew four times a year, I was in fine form by the time Badger Cab came to save my life.

Thanks also to Tony Orenga, who while one of the organizers, deserves special praise both for his tireless insults of Dr. Frolf and his willingness to be "that guy" and overshadow everyone else's drunkenness. That's the sign of a true sportsman.

Thanks to everyone else, including but not limited to Butt Douglas, who came and introduced themselves on account of my website. Most of the Tecmo stuff on there I wrote 4+ years ago, so it's nice to know it still resonates. I'm planning to begin putting new content on the site in general, and likely some new Tecmo stuff, in the near future.

I apologize if there is anyone in particular I have forgotten on this list. All 176 people at Logan's made this a spectacular weekend yet again. On to Tecmo VIII!

Without the Repository, this tournament would be a shell of itself, so credit given to the man hopelessly glued to Nebrasketball.

You're giving me wayyyy to much credit there. I didn't show up at this thing until TecmoVI and I think the 64 contestants at TecmoV would be either the largest or one of the largest compared to any other local's tourney.

Thanks to the whole Madison crew for putting this together and a special thank you to Knobbe for putting up with our drunk asses on Friday night. It was great meeting all of you and I must say that the competition was incredible and the sportsmanship was second to none. Butt Douglas and I will be back next year for sure. Hopefully we will do better than a combined 2-4!

Another year, another great Madison Tournament in the books. Excellent work once again Holz. Bros. and Co., each year the tournament moves a little bit higher up on the sweetness meter.

Here are a few observations...

-Group Z was awesome. We were a very loud bunch with a lot of drinking (did a group shot) and chanting. And while no one admitted it to me on Saturday, I know there were words between the Holzbauers and the networks. I know they have it in for me and so I wasn't surprised that when NFL Films shows up that I have the Child of Destiny creating chaos within Group Z.

-Had a lot of close wins, two in overtime I believe (nothing came easy this year, very good competition) and finally my luck ran out when Peter smoked my beloved LA Raiders in the Round of 32.

-Really enjoyed the Rico-Orenga Sweet 16 game as me and my buddy Mike tried to go toe-to-toe with Orenga's posse.

-Excellent work Chet, you truly were a man among boys this year.

-Great time and it was good to talk and laugh with all my friends in the world of Tecmo. See you next year.

Yeah Chet is probably the best overall player right now. It was pretty awesome to see him lose every grapple vs regulator but still play lights out. Chet, Adam, and probably reg are the only people that can beat me in grapples it seems, so I enjoyed seeing someone do well when the grapple advantage is gone.

Yeah Chet is probably the best overall player right now. It was pretty awesome to see him lose every grapple vs regulator but still play lights out. Chet, Adam, and probably reg are the only people that can beat me in grapples it seems, so I enjoyed seeing someone do well when the grapple advantage is gone.

We need to find a better way to set it up, but a "juice-off" mini-tourney would be pretty awesome. In the event of a tie I believe that the advantage goes to offense?

We need to find a better way to set it up, but a "juice-off" mini-tourney would be pretty awesome. In the event of a tie I believe that the advantage goes to offense?

We had discussed this on the car ride home as well. I think this is a great idea. Maybe 8 guys or so. Possibly proceeding both group play sessions.

Group Z was awesome. We were a very loud bunch with a lot of drinking (did a group shot) and chanting. And while no one admitted it to me on Saturday, I know there were words between the Holzbauers and the networks. I know they have it in for me and so I wasn't surprised that when NFL Films shows up that I have the Child of Destiny creating chaos within Group Z.

Very interesting conspiracy theory. I wouldn't put it past them. We need to get the Channel 4 News Team on this one. Or perhaps it was me, in an attempt to gain revenge for the Elite 8 Johnny Johnson jealousy-fest.

Still very sour from my loss, but becoming an alcoholic has helped sooth the pain. THANK YOU TECMO VIII

Fortunate for you, Southwest Airlines chose to f me pretty hard. I still owe you a punch in the dick from 2004.

Tecmo VIII: Muster’s Last Stand

My tournament experience by Ryan McKay (UltimateWeapon)

I had the privilege of playing in my first Madison, WI Tecmo Super Bowl tournament on Saturday, March 3.

From the moment I walked through the doors of Logan’s Madtown that morning, I knew this would be unlike anything I had ever experienced. Twenty-two televisions and original Nintendo consoles were in the final stages of being set up around the room. The familiar Tecmo Super Bowl theme song could already be heard intermingled with popular 80’s tunes. It felt like I was transported back to the early ‘90’s!

What started off as a brief e-mail exchange between brothers Chet and Josh Holzbauer back in 2006 resulted in a 22-man tournament. The event was so successful, another tournament was held just three months later. Since then, the tournament has grown each year into an annual event anticipated by Tecmo Super Bowl aficionados across the country.

The eighth installment of the Madison Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament featured 176 players from 25 different states who competed for Tecmo supremacy. Many enthusiasts who knew about the tournament and were unable to attend watched live coverage courtesy of Matt Knobbe, founder of the premier Tecmo Super Bowl fan website (

Had a blast at my first Tecmo Madison tourney. Going 2-2 my first year I feel pretty good with that performance. Special shout outs to everyone that played in Group E, especially Tony O., who managed to beat me with Al Del Greco recovering his own blocked kick and running it in for a TD. Talk about emotions going from top of the world to rock bottom in a matter of seconds.

Thanks to the crew that set up this tourney. I run a piddly tournament with around 20-some guys and that is a hassle, so trying to organize something as massive as this has to be a huge undertaking.

Thanks to my sponsor Pabst Blue Ribbon for supporting me and getting me shit-housed once I was bounced from competition.

Thanks to everyone I possibly annoyed while filming them with my iPhone. You were all good sports.

Lastly here are a couple photos I snagged. One is during the final match and another is Chet being interviewed afterwards.

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...