Madison's 8th Annual Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

holzy11

I am only in my second year of this whirlwind of Tecmo goodness, but even in my time I have seen a dramatic increase of players. Last year at Logan's it seemed almost like the perfect amount of people for the setting. It seems like the extra people might put that place into seam-busting mode. There are no complaints here, just stating what I see might happen.

It may already have been thought about, but the ND crew has talked about the possibility of using two venues to complete the tournament in one day with so many competitors. As a tournament director of disc golf, I already know that there are a vast amount of headaches with this format, but it can be used well if implemented correctly and with the right staffing. It would allow the pool play to be done in a timely fashion and then the players making it out alive (number to be pre-determined) could spend the remaining time at one site. There are lots of what-nots and who-done-its to this format, but it might be something to be explore in the future. All this said, it is lots more work and less fun for those involved in the directing of the tourney because of the split, not to mention that one venue is used and abused, but just thought about bouncing around some ideas.

Not everybody knows what kind of work it is to coordinate a 150+ people event, but I want to say, "Kudos," to the Tecmo Madison crew for doing so. Also, thank you for always hosting it at a place where people bring us beer and do everything short of pouring down our throats (which I plan on changing this year).

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I've got a couple q's about the tourney:

1) Rule 6: Lurching. It appears that the DT lines up across from the Center, the DEs line up on Guards, and the O-Tackles are left free. Does the lurching rule mean that a DE must go outside only their assigned Guard? Or does a DE have to take it further and go outside both the Guard and Tackle?

2) Does the lurching rule apply to PATs and FGs? And does lurching apply to the two shotgun draw plays (where the OL opens wide, to allow the RB a hole)? On those two run plays, can a Defensive Lineman enter that hole?

3) Rule 8 says that disputes are settled by Josh and Chet. But what are the actual consequences of a rule violation, such as lurching or visiting the "change screen" three times per half?

It may already have been thought about, but the ND crew has talked about the possibility of using two venues to complete the tournament in one day with so many competitors. As a tournament director of disc golf, I already know that there are a vast amount of headaches with this format, but it can be used well if implemented correctly and with the right staffing. It would allow the pool play to be done in a timely fashion and then the players making it out alive (number to be pre-determined) could spend the remaining time at one site. There are lots of what-nots and who-done-its to this format, but it might be something to be explore in the future. All this said, it is lots more work and less fun for those involved in the directing of the tourney because of the split, not to mention that one venue is used and abused, but just thought about bouncing around some ideas.

Not everybody knows what kind of work it is to coordinate a 150+ people event, but I want to say, "Kudos," to the Tecmo Madison crew for doing so. Also, thank you for always hosting it at a place where people bring us beer and do everything short of pouring down our throats (which I plan on changing this year).

Thanks for the thought DrFrolf. We did consider a multi-site tournament this year, but there are several problems:

(1) We would have to engage and secure a second venue as large as the present venue (Logan's) such that you could put 88 guys (22 systems) in each place. That would be quite difficult;

(2) Instead of needing 22 tv's and NES's, you'd need 44 of each;

(3) It would be a logistical nightmare. You'd have to pack up everything from one of the sites before you could start the combined single-elimination portion at the other site. We don't have that kind of manpower, nor do we have sufficient manpower to apportion amongst the two sites.

Hi, I've got a couple q's about the tourney:

1) Rule 6: Lurching. It appears that the DT lines up across from the Center, the DEs line up on Guards, and the O-Tackles are left free. Does the lurching rule mean that a DE must go outside only their assigned Guard? Or does a DE have to take it further and go outside both the Guard and Tackle?

2) Does the lurching rule apply to PATs and FGs? And does lurching apply to the two shotgun draw plays (where the OL opens wide, to allow the RB a hole)? On those two run plays, can a Defensive Lineman enter that hole?

3) Rule 8 says that disputes are settled by Josh and Chet. But what are the actual consequences of a rule violation, such as lurching or visiting the "change screen" three times per half?

(1) Must go outside the tackle unless you 'popcorn' someone on the line;

(2) Not sure how you can lurch on a FG or PAT. If you are referring to whether you can man-control the 4th man (i.e. LT or DT) on FG's/PAT's, the answer is 'yes.' As to the two shotgun draw plays, the lurching rule is no different;

(3) We are not going to issue advisory opinions on what will happen in the event of a rule violation. If a rule violation occurs, the best thing you can do is stop the game and bring it to our attention. At that point, a decision can be made. Given the many variables to consider, we are not going to issue any "hard and fast" rules at this time.

Lurching: Lurching is prohibited. If you want to rush with a DL, you must either go outside the offensive tackle or “popcorn” someone on the offensive line. You cannot simply go around your blocker and dive. Note that this rule does not apply to LBs.

I think this rule is pretty explicit on this specific issue.

Instead of me assuming, would you mind giving a definition of "popcorn?"

In this instance, "popcorning" refers to running into an ongoing grapple (i.e. two guys already grappling, such as an adjacent O-lineman and D-lineman) in an attempt to free up a teammate.

With the tournament just 6 weeks away, a preview of sorts is in order.

(1) Can Jimmy B and his ambitious aerial pursuits do the impossible—win this tournament a third time;

-Jimmy B’s style breeds close games. No dominant player has lost more group play games than Jimmy B. He could lose in the Round of 32 or win the tourney. Neither result would be particularly surprising. Bet against this guy in a big game, however, at your own risk. He’s undefeated in Final 4 games (4-0).

(2) Will Mort advance to a third straight Final 4, or will the Gods dole out punishment after last year’s good fortune;

-Mort has been nearly unbeatable in Madison, going 16-1 over the last two tournaments. Last year, he survived two nail-biters in the Round of 32 (bgboud) and Elite 8 (skunkerofbestinworld), winning the latter on a 90 yard JJ to Mel Gray as time expired. He’s had some good fortune, but there’s no doubting his grit and ability.

(3) Will BestinWorld, the second most decorated player in tournament history, return to avenge last year’s Final 4 loss;

-Despite very little, if any, prep for last year’s tournament, he survived extremely competitive games in both the Sweet16 (Tony J) and Elite 8 (Travis R) en route to his fourth Final 4 in five tournament appearances. An extremely talented defender with no known weaknesses, he’s as consistent a performer as you’ll find.

(4) Can Chet H (holzy11), the two-time defending Ohio champ and 2010 Chicago champ, finally shed the demons of Madison tournaments’ past;

-Victimized by skunkerofbestinworld in Tecmo VII’s Sweet 16 after some tough breaks, he avenged the loss in RyderCup II. Whatever the reason for his Madison disappointments, time is running short for this guy to win his own tournament.

(5) Will Josh H (sonofpatbeach), after a disappointing Sweet 16 exit a year ago, finally secure a second championship;

-Bounced by O’Dell in last year’s Sweet 16, he has been playing some solid Tecmo lately. But beware: No person then cohabitating with his girlfriend/wife has ever won the Madison tourney.

Speaking of O’Dell, he was “oh so close” to last year’s Final 4 and lost a 2TD lead to Troy H in TecmoVI’s Sweet 16. He’s certainly been knocking on the door, but can he break through?

(6) Will anyone from “the 513,” a self-proclaimed Tecmo hotspot in Ohio, appear;

-Three Vogt brothers are registered (BigMv, Lillefty, and Vogtcd11). They are all good. Vogtcd11 is the only person to defeat BestinWorld before the Final 4 (see TecmoV). BigMv, winner of OhioII, lost to eventual champion Kevin M in Tecmo V’s Elite 8. This is Lillefty’s first Madison appearance, but he won the first Ohio tournament in 2008.

Speaking of Kevin M, no word on the status of his game. Has this guy even played a game since his loss to The Rickster in TecmoVII?

(7) Is there a total unknown out there with the skills necessary to charge into the epicenter of the Tecmo universe and emerge victorious;

-At least 33% of the Field is totally unknown. Last year, unknowns Tony J, Lucas S, and Seth B all did extremely well. That 1-2 unknowns will dramatically introduce themselves to the Tecmo World at this year’s tourney is a practical certainty. Underestimate unknown players at your own peril.

(:wink: Who will win the juice-off?

-There’s a number of fast tappers in the Field, but it is believed that two reign supreme over all others—Garbage Gauthier and Regulator. A showdown at TecmoVIII is a must. Can either use their superior juicing as a springboard to a deep tournament run?

(9) Will Sconnie, Fro30, or Daboy make noise?

-Sconnie is an online legend that hasn’t fared particularly well in his two Madison appearances. He claims to be cursed in Madison. Despite being a Milwaukee resident, Fro30 has never made an appearance. He nonetheless wants to play and eliminate both BestinWorld and Sconnie. Be careful what you wish for. Daboy is a longtime online player that last appeared at OhioIII, where he reached the Final 4. Sconnie and Daboy are two of the better players I’ve seen. It will take a strong player to eliminate either guy.

(10) Will the east coast's Arcoem, Chaos, and CubanTecmo represent?

-They've seemingly been playing a fair amount of Tecmo out east, but will their independent documentary help or hinder their Tecmo VIII performance? Arncoem has never appeared in Madison, but he's won a few smaller tournaments in New York and Connecticut. Chaos is another longtime online player that lost a FG-fest in last year's Round of 64.

The foregoing preview is but a "scratching of the surface." There's a ton of other guys I just don't have time to mention, many of whom could win the tourney. With so many talented players in this year's field, this tournament is WIDE open.

(4) Can Chet H (holzy11), the two-time defending Ohio champ and 2010 Chicago champ, finally shed the demons of Madison tournaments’ past;

-Victimized by skunkerofbestinworld in Tecmo VII’s Sweet 16 after some tough breaks, he avenged the loss in RyderCup II. Whatever the reason for his Madison disappointments, time is running short for this guy to win his own tournament.

I'm guessing that holzy will choose some bizarre matchup that has a 60% chance of working, only to watch as his team fumbles the opening two kickoffs. Either that, or he'll win the whole thing. There is no in between.

(:wink: Who will win the juice-off?

-There’s a number of fast tappers in the Field, but it is believed that two reign supreme over all others—Garbage Gauthier and Regulator. A showdown at TecmoVIII is a must. Can either use their superior juicing as a springboard to a deep tournament run?

That depends on whether Garbage is planning on jumping up and down shouting "garbage" after launching what could have been a game winning kick and shutting off the NES.

Reservations are made. Time to win the best dressed award and be featured on NFL Films as Tecmo VIII Champion.

Looking forward to this. Such a great format and well run. For those of you who going for the first time, enjoy. I had a good year last year but my turnover margin was like plus 10 in 6 games. This year could be different. Hope to meet more people this year and stick around past 7pm this time.

kingsoby1 wrote:Love the tourney name... Will HarbaughToMuster rise from the ashes?!

Can't say I'd recommend that. If memory serves, Harbaugh, Muster, or both cost you Tecmo III title. I'd suggest StromtoHoge :wink:

Correction, HarbaughToMuster lost me Tecmo III and IV championship games! This year, I have to make sure not to let sentimentality get in the way. I had to have my precious Broncos last year and got creamed in the process. Gotta stick to the basics that get me to the finals.

I am baffled at the smack talk coming from you fro... I dont have your tecmo respect?! RESPECT THE RINGS BIATCH. Not to mention the awesome power you've witnessed in our previous VFrame 5 playdates of old :wink:

Correction, HarbaughToMuster lost me Tecmo III and IV championship games! This year, I have to make sure not to let sentimentality get in the way. I had to have my precious Broncos last year and got creamed in the process. Gotta stick to the basics that get me to the finals.

You're the one who needs a degree of difficulty during the tournament. :wink:

Of course, now that I mentioned it you're probably going to go through this year's tournament calling nothing but Pittsburgh matchups because you "like the way Brister throws the burn route."

ouch :[

stupid muster. would be pretty funny if he finally pulled through for me this year ;-p

It would be fitting given the tournament name. But for some reason, I'm thinking that Muster is not coming through this year. Maybe we should create a separate award for best total yard effort by Muster is a game at the tournament to inspire more Muster use.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

It would be fitting given the tournament name. But for some reason, I'm thinking that Muster is not coming through this year. Maybe we should create a separate award for best total yard effort by Muster is a game at the tournament to inspire more Muster use.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

likes this.

But for some reason, I'm thinking that Muster is not coming through this year. Maybe we should create a separate award for best total yard effort by Muster is a game at the tournament to inspire more Muster use.

You're thinking that Muster won't come through this year, huh? Let me remind you of a little Tecmo history that some are all too quick to forget:

(1) RyderCupI: SkunkerofBestinWorld/Holzy11 (Chi) v. Sconnie/Jeid (Dolphins). A tight fourth quarter game is broken open when Muster, while returning a kickoff, popcorns half the Miami team en route to the endzone. So spectacular was the return that The Great Wolf's foundation buckled and security personnel were dispatched to the commotion's source. An out of control bachelor party, inquired a puzzled rent-a-cop? Nope, just Muster goin to the house. No biggie!

(2) TecmoIII Final: Peter K (Hou) v. BestinWorld (Chi). Frustrated with the Bears WR's and trailing late in the game, who does BestinWorld turn to? Enter Muster at WR, who reels in 2 key receptions for 106 yards:

Muster's tournament track record as a clutch performer simply cannot be ignored.

You're right, 2 "clutch" performances builds a track record. ;-)

As the famous Lou Brown said in Major League 2: "Yesterday we won. If we win today that would be two in a row. That's called a winning streak." Of course, they went out and lost that next game. Much like Muster went out and dropped that pass.

Now that we have dealt with Muster's "candidacy" as a a clutch player, let's move on to larger issues.

Everyone entered in the tournament should be begining training camp now. You should be practice tapping at work, gameplanning matchups, working on playbooks. People should be studying film, working on sight adjustments, hot routes, cover 2 shells, fire zones, no-huddle looks, and perfecting the Peyton Manning 38 second, four audible, three fake audible, gyrating pre-snap dance.

Fasten your seatbelts!

Hard to believe, but this grand event is now just four weeks away. A couple notes/reminders as we count down to Tecmo VIII: Muster’s Last Stand:

(1) We plan to finalize seeding and publish the 44 groups by February 20th. Please do not be the guy that withdraws after the groups have been finalized. This is extremely problematic for everyone, as a great deal of time/thought goes into evenly distributing the field’s talent. Have some Tecmo class and withdraw now if you haven’t yet made the necessary travel arrangements;

(2) When you arrive at the tournament, know which group you are in. This will quicken the check-in process and make it easier on those doing the check-in. Each of the 22 TV’s will be labeled by group (for instance “TV1, Groups A, W”). Translation: Group A will play at TV1 during the first group play session while Group W will play there during the second group play session. Therefore, knowing which group you are in tells you where your group play games will occur;

(3) Read the rules before the tournament. They are available here: