Madison's 8th Annual Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

holzy11

This is taking a shot in the dark, but.....

I noticed there are 2 people from Mishawaka IN signed up...Joe N. (Nagle) and Collin M (CMcG). If you guys happen to check this forum, my brother and I are only 20 short minutes away in Elkhart. Maybe we could all get together and play sometime? If it sounds like a good idea, respond to this forum and we'll try to figure something out.

Take care everyone,

Matt Miller (Ones11fahzu)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8:00 p.m. But if you're thinking of skipping the post-tourney drunken festivities at the Plaza, that would be a mistake.

The Plaza is the place to be for post-Tecmo drunkeness. It is also not the place to be if you are looking for a girl under 150lbs. If you are from North Dakota, Eau Claire, Elk Mound, Brainerd, Fergus Falls, Morehead, etc. you'll love it!

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

I'd like to re-update some of those storylines from the front page of the tecmomadison site:

"Will BestinWorld, the second most decorated player in tournament history, return to avenge last year’s Final 4 loss"--yep, kinsoby1 registered, so that question is kind of moot.

Though fro30 is already chomping at the bit to get after it, and we're only in December.

"Now that relative unknowns Seth B and Travis R have reached the Final 4/Elite 8, can they do it again with targets on their backs"--I don't know about Travis' chances this year, but Seth hasn't registered so far.

Still no Seth, bummer I guess.

"Following a fairly successful Ryder Cup, will garbagetsbplayer’s incessant entourage ignite a deep tournament run"--avgtsbplayer's entourage will not ignite a deep tournament run, they may possibly incite a riot though.

With the way this guy has been playing/acting/webmastering, I doubt he will actually show up for the tournament. He may married by then 8)

"After a mysterious disappearance, does Joeygats emerge from seclusion at Tecmo VIII"--No.

Is there a word beyond no? If there is, I'd like to use it.

"Will the Tecmo Broadcasting Union resolve its labor dispute with management in advance of this year’s tournament, or will Knobbe, QB-Browns, and Toolie be relegated to tournament participation only"--talks are ongoing people, we will have an announcement when both sides have reached an agreement.

Rod and I resolved our disagreement with 'management' and have agreed to broadcast one more time from the site of the tournament. Feel free to tune in whenever we decide to broadcast via whatever internet based site we choose to broadcast from. Also, feel free to stop by the 'booth' to say hi, I'm sure Rod would love to meet you all and I wouldn't mind getting some more interviews on the proverbial 'air.'

"Is this the year that Bruddog, longtime critic of tournament participants and purported Tecmo aficionado, finally boards a Madison-bound plane from California?"--why even ask that question? If its not going to happen after 7 tournaments, its not going to happen....ever.

That statement couldn't be more true if I tried...

You're in for a big disappointment, Rod.

<3 Flo

You've pretty much summed up what anyone from out of state should be telling their junk when it comes to the ladies of Madison, WI....except for those North Dakota guys.

As a ND competitor, I am fully excited to have buxom babes showering us with cheese curds and smoked sausage while we pound the one-hole with Colonel Muster and his FB comrades. Luckily there are some sturdy chairs at the venue to withstand furious and labored gyrating.

In the words of Bart Scott, "Can't wait."

I talked to my brother the other day and both he and I are on waiting list. He had an idea that he would pay double the admission fee if it would help expand the field. Maybe this could be purposed to those on the waiting list and the excess money raised would help easy the complexity of expanding the field? We could pry easily convince our other friend who signed up to do so as well. We do not know all that goes in to making the tourney larger and the problems it creates but we were at last years tourney of 144, but we played in it and it seemed to go pretty smooth we thought. Just an idea.

A few quick updates/reminders:

(1) Due to unprecedented demand, the field has officially expanded to 176 competitors. Participant Nos. 129-176 should all have recently received an email confirming such from [email protected];

(2) Because we are now accommodating 48 additional competitors, we need to make you aware of two format changes. First, the Elite 8 and Final 4 will be single-elim instead of an aggregate 2-game score. We just don't have enough time to play the additional games with so many participants. In other words, the Elite 8/Final 4 will be no different than in past years. Second, to make things more efficient, this year's play-in games will be contested after each individual group play session. While the group play winners are guaranteed a spot in the Field of 64, the runners-up from neighboring groups will compete in a play-in game to determine who makes the Field of 64. For instance, after the first session of group play, the runners-up from Group A and Group B will play one another with only the winner advancing to the Field of 64. The same thing will happen at the conclusion of the second group play session (for instance, Groups X and Y). We're hoping this speeds things up and eliminates some of the chaos that accompanies the beginning of single-elim every year.

(3) We still have 20+ guys on the waiting list. If you can longer make the tournament, please access the site and withdraw immediately so that other guys can make timely travel arrangements. If at all possible, please do not be the guy who "no shows" or withdraws a week or two before the tournament. Help out your fellow Tecmoers;

(4) Speaking of travel, we recommend making your travel arrangements as soon as possible. Bear in mind that Wisconsin weather in March is often inclement and unpredictable. We actually did have a blizzard one year, so the Tecmo Gods aren't above throwing a wrench into Tecmo travel plans. Arriving on Thursday night/Friday morning is much better than having a Friday evening plane delay that puts you here on Saturday afternoon (i.e. after the tournament is in progress).

-Looking forward to seeing everyone on March 3, 2012 for what should be another amazing event!

Sounds good, 176 participants! So I'm assuming 44 groups of 4. That will still leave us with 66 come bracket time right? (44 winners and 22 play in winners). So we'll have 2 more play in games to reach the round of 64?

I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Looking forward to seeing all of the misfits I met last year and some new ones.

(2) Because we are now accommodating 48 additional competitors, we need to make you aware of two format changes. First, the Elite 8 and Final 4 will be single-elim instead of an aggregate 2-game score. We just don't have enough time to play the additional games with so many participants. In other words, the Elite 8/Final 4 will be no different than in past years. Second, to make things more efficient, this year's play-in games will be contested after each individual group play session. While the group play winners are guaranteed a spot in the Field of 64, the runners-up from neighboring groups will compete in a play-in game to determine who makes the Field of 64. For instance, after the first session of group play, the runners-up from Group A and Group B will play one another with only the winner advancing to the Field of 64. The same thing will happen at the conclusion of the second group play session (for instance, Groups X and Y). We're hoping this speeds things up and eliminates some of the chaos that accompanies the beginning of single-elim every year.

ever think about a 2 day tournament?

All the time. We discuss it, but we've never sure how many people would be cool with staying on a Saturday-Sunday tournament series. Friday-Saturday may not work because of location considerations and a bar/restaurant giving up some business would be difficult. We'd love to turn this into something even larger with several days devoted to Tecmo awesomeness, but the logistics may not work well for us.

nope they never thought of that... lol

We've also thought about moving it to the Pacific Time Zone, someplace more interesting to visit, and increasing the payout to $1 million, but had better things to do with our time.

Yeah. Primary problem with that is guys being unable to hang around a second day. All the out-of-towners have to catch flights and/or get on the road by noon on Sunday. Secondary concern is there won't be nearly as much excitement in the Elite 8/Final 4, etc. Right now, those games are played in front of a large crowd that injects tons of energy. It's a really cool atmosphere for those of you that haven't seen it. If you play those games on a second day, that element is gone because most of the guys will be eliminated after Day 1.

If the tournament continues to grow, however, I think a Fri-Sat event is possible. There would be tons of anticipation after Day 1 and we could probably implement a Best-of-Three type format for those advancing to Day 2. It's obviously too late to do that this year given that guys have already made travel plans, but we definitely have to consider it moving forward.

Roughly what time does this thing start? I'm only a 90 minute drive away but want to figure out how early I'll need to head up there.

The first group play session will start at 9:00 or 10:00 a.m. Don't think we've set a firm start time quite yet. The second group play session will start three hours later. It's still almost unfathomable to me that there are 88 guys in each group play session. That was the size of the entire tournament just two years ago. Major props and thanks to garbagetsbplayer, who designed and implemented the site to propel us out of the stone age.

make it 2 millions and move it to new orleans

Obviously the dream would be a couple thousand dollars, couple hundred players, and Vegas. But that would be beyond the dreams of mortal men.

I can only imagine the awesomeness of renting out a ballroom at Ceasar's and hosting: Madison Tecmo Tournament XX: Weekend at QB Browns sponsored by Sobe LifeWater and MadCatz.

I still don't have a computer (soon?), but I am wasting your tax dollars at work to type this message so you should all be happy. I just wanted to chime in that as has been alluded to using my name in this thread, there is nothing like putting your hands under center with one of the many female linemen offerings at Madison Tecmo. It's a real treat, almost like a Rick Strom scramble.

I looked all over and can't find out what version is played in the tournments. I am guessing the NES 1991 version based on the players discussed. Is this correct? And if so, can someone put a link to the ROM.

Thanks.

Yes, we play the original, cartridge-based classic, Tecmo Super Bowl.

I'm sure you can find the rom somewhere on this site.

At the risk of being borish...

I looked all over and can't find out what version is played in the tournments. I am guessing the NES 1991 version based on the players discussed. Is this correct? And if so, can someone put a link to the ROM.

Thanks.

Unless specified, you can expect any tourney to be TSB NES

Thanks. For some reason I am partial to the 1995 SNES version but I will get to work on my TSB NES skills.

I majored in TSB III for a semester one year. It's really the reason for the love of Rod Woodson.