Madison's 8th Annual Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

holzy11

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Registered

IMO, I think the elite8/final4 format lessens the likelihood of an underdog making a run to the ship. I'm guessing that's why the rule was put in place, which is retarted. Going from single elimination, to 2 game cumulative score, to single elimination again for the ship makes no sense IMO. What's the reasoning behind the change?

IMO, I think the elite8/final4 format lessens the likelihood of an underdog making a run to the ship. I'm guessing that's why the rule was put in place, which is retarted. Going from single elimination, to 2 game cumulative score, to single elimination again for the ship makes no sense IMO. What's the reasoning behind the change?

One incapable of correctly spelling “retarted” probably shouldn’t be calling anything “retarded.” To your question, we wanted to give guys reaching the Elite 8/Final 4, in a tournament of 128+ participants, a little room for error. For years, we have considered implementing a Best-of-3 series beginning with the Sweet 16/Elite 8. Lack of time, however, has always been the major obstacle.

This format is consequently a compromise of sorts. It nonetheless couldn’t be fairer, as both guys have an opportunity to play as each team and utilize each controller. The aggregate format is also far from unprecedented. It is presently used in soccer (UEFA Champions League) and the NHL playoffs previously incorporated same, albeit a long time ago. As it does in soccer, the Championship Game reverts to single-elimination in order to maximize suspense and drama.

If the format still "makes no sense" or is "retarted," keep in mind that, despite not having the benefit of your sage counsel, we birthed this tournament, cultivated its development and reputation through countless hours of work over the years, and have managed to turn it into a pretty big deal. That sarcastic "parting shot" is our way of letting you know that your post was out of line. While constructive criticism and suggestions are good things, your post was neither.

There has to be a way to included more participants?

We will see. Not sure how many more NES stations we can cram into that place. If the demand continues to climb, we will certainly have to consider expansion. That said, and although we don't want to deprive anyone of the opportunity to participate in this tornament, we need to be careful about overextending ourselves and the venue.

This format is consequently a compromise of sorts. It nonetheless couldn’t be fairer

I apologize if I hurt your Tecmo feelings by calling your new rule "retarded." I'm not surprised at you being a smart ass. I expected that. Before you criticize one's spelling though, you should learn to write correct English as "fairer" is not a word.

Now, let's get back to the point of this post. First off, because you created this event you are the final say. I understand this, but what I am telling you is that you are reducing the chance that anyone of a lower skill level has of making the championship. Now, just pause for a second and let it soak in before another smart ass comment evolves. Think of teams in the past that provided such excitement by making Cinderella runs in the playoffs: Arizona Cardinals, Butler Bulldogs to name a few of recent history. Would they have made the Championship with your playoff scheme? (Yes I realize the NFL playoff's are much shorter and less teams involved.)

Just keep in mind the majority of the field that is not at your talent level and would have even more of a miniscule chance at winning with your format. Thanks

Reg

P.S.- I think your a cool guy, and it's great you and your guys put this thing together each year. I look forward to it all year long! As a participant, I am simply voicing my opinion to better the event and make it more enjoyable. Thanks again.

Don't take this too serious, but this thing should definitely be expanded to 256 people in a two day event.

That would be tits.

Also, Fro is making his way out? Shit, I thought there would have been a better chance of Brud showing up.

Shit, I thought there would have been a better chance of Brud showing up.

Bruddog refuses to leave the Pacific time zone. So that's not happening.

Rather than arguing about grammer and spelling you should be figuring out a way to get more players in the tournament! 8)

We've run a 144 player tournament before but the logisitics behind it are overwhelming. But we do have several dropouts before the tournament and the occasional noshow day of as well. So keep your hopes up, we're still 10 weeks away.

You're in for a big disappointment, Rod.

You've pretty much summed up what anyone from out of state should be telling their junk when it comes to the ladies of Madison, WI....except for those North Dakota guys.

Rod, how dare you question the eye-pleasing nature of Wisconsin snowpigs! Those corn-fed Nebraska ladies aren't exactly setting the world on fire. Beware retribution from garbagetsbplayer's WWE (white women entourage).

Btw, is that Sconnie I see registered? Thought for sure we'd seen the last of him upon completion of the 2nd Ryder Cup. Kudos to Edisaurus who undoubtedly persuaded him to attend. I'm sure Sconnie didn't relent w/o a fair amount of kicking and screaming. 8)

Rod, how dare you question the eye-pleasing nature of Wisconsin snowpigs! Those corn-fed Nebraska ladies aren't exactly setting the world on fire. Beware retribution from garbagetsbplayer's WWE (white women entourage).

I'm just saying the only person who will be proudly blogging about hooking up with an offensive lineman is the Leonardite.

This will be my first trip to Madison, and I am very much looking forward to it (at least the Tecmo--not sure what else there is that would draw people to Wisconsin!). For those of us who have to coordinate flights to/from Madison, what time do you expect the champion to be crowned on Saturday?

This will be my first trip to Madison, and I am very much looking forward to it (at least the Tecmo--not sure what else there is that would draw people to Wisconsin!). For those of us who have to coordinate flights to/from Madison, what time do you expect the champion to be crowned on Saturday?

8:00 p.m. But if you're thinking of skipping the post-tourney drunken festivities at the Plaza, that would be a mistake.

8:00 p.m. But if you're thinking of skipping the post-tourney drunken festivities at the Plaza, that would be a mistake.

The Plaza is the place to be for post-Tecmo drunkeness. It is also not the place to be if you are looking for a girl under 150lbs. If you are from North Dakota, Eau Claire, Elk Mound, Brainerd, Fergus Falls, Morehead, etc. you'll love it!