Better INT return hack

bruddog

THe returner needs lots of speed to deal with a whole team of 69rp defenders. This hack allows for big play int returns often.

@BFC5
F7 20 - Boost HP 50 (Helps to break free from int grapples)
E1 00 -Set MS to players value
E0 0C- Set RS to 75
E3 04 - Boost MS 4 notches
E4 -player take conrol
DF -computer take control
FE - loopback
FF

• 1 year later...

Where do you put the hack for it to work?? This might sound dumb but I'm not Neo from the Matrix. I'm not that good around computers I was happy to get the Emulator to work. Lol. Please get back to me I would love to learn how to add cheats and Hacks. Thanks Dante

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm working on making defenses better by increasing their MS, reducing their X/Y reaction time and shortening the diving animation.  But, this makes returning kicks extremely difficult.  I'm wondering if there's a 'reverse boost' command in the game (http://tecmobowl.org/topic/10528-nes-play-design-info/#p94348) that could be written into the kick coverage hex, rather than boosting the MS (or other) of the KRs (just for nostalgia about how KRing goes in the original).  Does anyone know about this?

I'm working on making defenses better by increasing their MS, reducing their X/Y reaction time and shortening the diving animation.  But, this makes returning kicks extremely difficult.  I'm wondering if there's a 'reverse boost' command in the game (http://tecmobowl.org/topic/10528-nes-play-design-info/#p94348) that could be written into the kick coverage hex, rather than boosting the MS (or other) of the KRs (just for nostalgia about how KRing goes in the original).  Does anyone know about this?

heck yes that can be changed.  but you can't "reduce" attributes, as you can see in the link you posted - either increase or reset to default.

so, you could

1.remove the boosts of kickoff team

2. alter the coverage code - maybe introduce a delay or something in the kickoff team.

3. boost the kick return team

4. or do all 10 of these

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me or is there no kickoff coverage boost?  I've been looking through the code for special teams defense (kickoff, pret, fg block and xp block--these are separate) and there's no boosting in the kickoff code--only pauses.

I know the locations for the punt coverage boosts (http://tecmobowl.org/topic/4811-punt-coverage-team-speed/?hl=punt+boost#entry64327), but I haven't seen anything about kickoffs.  Has this been posted?  Does it exist?

if you don't see it then it probably isn't there.  Of all things, I don't think I've ever messed with Kickoff/Kick-return code before, so I really can't say if there are boosts on kickoff or not.  

I would believe you that there are not.

PS - maybe better to split this thread into a "kick return code" thread?

Edited by buck

So have you found a good number for shortening the diving animation?  I tested it at 01 but I think it made playing defense too easy because you could pretty much dive tackle all the time without fail.  It didn't require you to take a good route to the ball carrier that would end in a successful grapple -- reduced defensive tactics.  On the other hand, I think the game's default at 07 is too slow of an animation because the idiot drone defense often falls just short when diving at a fast ball carrier from behind.  It also made dodging tackles around the line of scrimmage too easy in my opinion.

Peace,

I haven't tried any testing that would be geared towards MAN-MAN play.  In fact, my vision is to just convert the pointers (FF) into CPU pointers (C8) and, therefore, take control away from the MAN player on defense because I'd think upping the speed by two notches would be too much of an advantage.  (I could just boost the rom though for the COM, which might even things out, but not sure).

All that to say that I've been running it at 02 and that's like shooting off a gun sometimes, lol.  I like the 'physical' feel that it gives to the rom, but it's also VERY difficult to evade unless the RP (generally) of the ball carrier is high (or the MS is top level).  Thus, I'm thinking if you want to alter it for MAN play (b/c dive-tackling with the man is impossible), I'd say 03 would be extreme.  Try 04 and if not 05.  The thing for me is I want jukes not to be so easy when you're running, so 03ish would be best for the COM, but a bit higher would be needed for the MAN as I see it (separating the two on the same rom), but that would require a hack we don't know about.

Also, the reaction time time (X,Y) for the BC AA and AD AA commands seems to make a VERY large difference in how the defense reacts.  I've been able to get rushing averages down into the '5.0ish is good' range by altering these values.  (See:  http://tecmobowl.org/topic/12065-nes-snes-tsb-i-ii-iii-gen-tsb-i/?hl=snes+xplozv#entry109471).

However, if you change the reaction time, then you'll be making everyone else on the MAN defense better, which makes the player's job then substantially easier.  I don't have an idea about how to balance those things out.  Take care.

Edited by quince3800

• 9 months later...

Can someone clarify this for me?  The above mentions e3 as being a MS boost.  Hence:

0xE0 = Boost RS (Boost)
0xE1 = Boost MS (Boost)
0xE2 = Boost RP (Boost)
0xE3 = Boost MS (Boost)

from:  http://tecmobowl.org/topic/9061-current-editors/?hl=%2Bstance+%2Bboost+%2Bcontrol#entry77321

But, the play design post has:

xE0 = Set RS (Value)
xE1 = Set MS (Value)  ***Note if x00 then resets to player's MS
xE2 = Boost RP (Boost)
xE3 = Boost RS (Boost)

I have a feeling that e3 is RS, but then what's the MS boost or can that only be set? 

• 3 years later...

this hack, well a derivative of it that I use, is the one I find best for TSB turnover returns.  but, I simply boost RP by *5 notches.  No other boosts.

anyways, my question is:  what about when the "offense" recovers fumbles or blocked kicks, etc?  does the offense use this code, too?  I hope not.

*why 5 notches?  well, the "average" RP of every player on defense (1991 TSB) is calculated at 38 RP, thus to bring them up to 69 RP (a level playing field with the "offense"), requires 5 notches, by my math.

The real thing that makes INT returns hard is that you are going against a defense(the opposing teams offense) that averages about 38RS and all have 69RP (barring conditions) this makes them very fast at changing directions.

If I were doing one now I'd probably set the offenses RP down to about 31-38 and boost the defensive returners RP up to 69. That would make it more like the relative values have reversed. 

It's really hard to find the speed sweet spot. You don't want every possible return to go for a TD...kind of like when the defense recovers a fumble on a picked play call...pretty much an automatic TD. 

I always tended to err towards  faster int returns as that balances out the 100 yd bombs that can be thrown with relative ease.

@buck

No, if the offense recovers their own fumble... then each offensive player is set to block a one specific defender(example RB1 set to block the FS) and the offensive player speed is reset to their default max speed. 

On a side note. 

Tecmo uses two different addresses for the defensive intereception return and fumble return command pointers. But they both point to the exact same individual commands. Many reasons that this could have occurred.  

L_4_B618:  Defensive Interception  return 

.WORD L_6_BF5D, L_6_BF65, L_6_BF6D, L_6_BF75, L_6_BF7D, L_6_BF85, L_6_BF8D, L_6_BF95, L_6_BF9D, L_6_BFA5, L_6_BFAD, L_6_BFB5 

L_4_B6C0: Defensive Fumble return 
    .WORD L_6_BF5D, L_6_BF65, L_6_BF6D, L_6_BF75, L_6_BF7D, L_6_BF85, L_6_BF8D, L_6_BF95, L_6_BF9D, L_6_BFA5, L_6_BFAD, L_6_BFB5

• 8 months later...

As to my earlier question above...

@ BFC5 I have:

F7 20

E1 00

E0 0A

E2 08

E3 04

F6 08

E4 DF

FE

FF

To give the INT returner a bit less of an MS boost (the setting I have makes the returner really fast!), would I change it to E3 03 if I wanted it to be a 3 notch boost instead of 4?

bruddog has confirmed changing the value after E3 to 02,03,04, etc.  would change the number of boosts for MS.  Thanks bruddog!

• 4 months later...
On 9/29/2011 at 5:33 AM, bruddog said:

THe returner needs lots of speed to deal with a whole team of 69rp defenders. This hack allows for big play int returns often.

@BFC5
F7 20 - Boost HP 50 (Helps to break free from int grapples)
E1 00 -Set MS to players value
E0 0C- Set RS to 75
E3 04 - Boost MS 4 notches
E4 -player take conrol
DF -computer take control
FE - loopback
FF

@bruddog

I'm looking to lower the HP on INT returns with this hack a little.

I am trying to decipher the values F7 20, and how they equal a +50 HP boost. 

What would say a +25 HP value look like?

Here is where I am at now with a +3 MS boost instead of the +4

SET(0xBFC5,0xF720E100E00CE303E4DFFEFF)

The goal is to have better INT returns, but without the defender becoming immortal like he just gobbled up a Super Mario Star lol.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!